It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Intergalactic space is filled with dark matter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Using data from gravitational lensing and computer modelling, researchers from the University of Tokyo’s Institute for the Physics and Mathematics of the Universe (IPMU) and Nagoya University have come up with a large scale map of "dark matter" in our universe:

The new research concludes that galaxies have no definite “edges.” Instead galaxies have long outskirts of dark matter that extend to nearby galaxies and the intergalactic space is not empty but filled with dark matter.

www.physorg.com...

The dark matter extends around galaxies out to 100 million light years, filling intergalactic space. Dark matter makes up about 22% of the universe while visible matter makes up about 4.5%

The map is similar to the visible large scale structure of the universe, but the dark matter fills in the black spaces:

www.antapex.org...

This article still doesn't say exactly what "dark matter" is though.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Look at the brain under a microscope and experience the macrocosm of the universe meeting the microcosm of the human being. As above, so below

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I am wondering Nicholas, what is dark matter composed of? I think this is not a new idea in astrophysics that dark matter composes a large part of the universe. The pic probably has string theorists doing cartwheels

I have been wondering what part Higgs Boson particles might play in making up dark matter, of course it has yet to be proved they exist, but is reasonable to think they do. What do you think?

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

Nature has a way of repeating itself in shape. A tree branch can resemble a bolt of lightning. That doesn't mean they have a special relationship.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Thanks for the chuckle. I really don't know, but I bet it will surprise us. Maybe the astronomers before the 20th century were right when they said space is not just a vacuum but an "ether". Interesting times.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Everything composed of matter in this reality is composed of the same atomic elements in space, and even microscopic subatomic particles which are the building blocks of life itself. How dare you say there is no relationship between the oak tree outside and me. I could not exist without the oxygen being excreted by the tree, and that tree could not survive without the carbon dioxide human beings release simultaneously.

Remove the labels from human beings and any conscious thought of individuality, there is a balanced human being. Remove the senses used to perceive into this reality, this becomes awareness. Remove any conscious thought or compulsiveness to over analyze, and you become consciousness.

There is infinite Peace and expansion in this conscious state of awareness. It's formless, knows no time or boundaries, and ultimately everything and nothing coexisting for eternity.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Just to elaborate a little on what "dark matter" is.

Scientists know what it isn't:

We are much more certain what dark matter is not than we are what it is. First, it is dark, meaning that it is not in the form of stars and planets that we see. Observations show that there is far too little visible matter in the Universe to make up the 25% required by the observations. Second, it is not in the form of dark clouds of normal matter, matter made up of particles called baryons. We know this because we would be able to detect baryonic clouds by their absorption of radiation passing through them. Third, dark matter is not antimatter, because we do not see the unique gamma rays that are produced when antimatter annihilates with matter. Finally, we can rule out large galaxy-sized black holes on the basis of how many gravitational lenses we see. High concentrations of matter bend light passing near them from objects further away, but we do not see enough lensing events to suggest that such objects to make up the required 25% dark matter contribution.

They are looking into dark matter being some kind of exotic particles.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Dark matter is utter nonsense. Magic fairy dust, without which their theoretical equations don't add up.

Instead of thinking the theories might be wrong, and try to come up with some new theories, they say, well, what percentage of everything needs to be magically invisible? There, now the equations come out right. That must be it.

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Dark matter is one of those wondrous mysteries that we are so very fond of. They are looking hard in quantum physics. interesting times

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

It's not purely theoretical. Something is causing the gravitational lensing we can observe in the real world:

The two images illustrate the effect of gravitational lensing. A massive galaxy at the center of the right panel causes the images of the background galaxies (white spots) to be enlarged and brightened.(Image credit: Joerg Colberg, Ryan Scranton, Robert Lupton, SDSS

Dark matter does the same thing except there are no visible galaxies causing the lensing. Maybe you should have read the article.

edit on 13-2-2012 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I've always had problems wrapping my brain around the idea of "Dark Matter", simply because for me "Matter" is that which I can physically interact with, test, and manipulate in many ways. Same goes for many forms of Energy.

Yet Dark Matter, apparently DOES have an affect, but we do not see ways to interact with it, and only observe it through the possible effects it has on things we can observe.

I guess it's the word "Matter" that bugs me. They should have called it "Dark Invisible Stuff That Is Never Completely There" or "DISTINCT" for short....

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I guess it's the word "Matter" that bugs me. They should have called it "Dark Invisible Stuff That Is Never Completely There" or "DISTINCT" for short....

Ohhhh good one for you!!
I think your on to something, is a much better name! Maybe some astrophysicist will read this and viola!

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I think the problem is that they are still re-evaluating the existing theories of gravity, as well as coming up with new theories to explain it.

If you think "Dark Matter" is a strange name, the two leading hypotheses call this "stuff"

1. MACHOs which are Massive Compact Halo Objects, dead or failed stars in halos of galaxies

2. WIMPs which are Weakly Interacting Massive Particles, mysterious neutrino-like particles

www.ifa.hawaii.edu...

Given the above choices, Dark Matter doesn't sound so bad

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by sgspecial19

Everything composed of matter in this reality is composed of the same atomic elements in space, and even microscopic subatomic particles which are the building blocks of life itself. How dare you say there is no relationship between the oak tree outside and me. I could not exist without the oxygen being excreted by the tree, and that tree could not survive without the carbon dioxide human beings release simultaneously.

Remove the labels from human beings and any conscious thought of individuality, there is a balanced human being. Remove the senses used to perceive into this reality, this becomes awareness. Remove any conscious thought or compulsiveness to over analyze, and you become consciousness.

There is infinite Peace and expansion in this conscious state of awareness. It's formless, knows no time or boundaries, and ultimately everything and nothing coexisting for eternity.

consciousness without conscious thought? Removing senses is awareness? You can't sense then you're not aware, if you can't think then you have no consciousnees, you had it backwards. Anyways cool story bro, needs more dragons and stuff

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sgspecial19

I'm talking about relationship in a meta-physical, new age, paranormal way.

I know plants allow me to breathe..but thats just biology.

I'm not saying it's impossible that the universe is a huge brain, but I just don't know enough to believe in it. Humans tend to connect dots where there may be none.
edit on 13-2-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I was trying to tell you in a metaphysical way lol, what questions do you have about the subject of metaphysics? I don't mean the universe being a big brain, more like the multiverse is made up of dark matter, which is composed of the same molecules, atoms, and varying level of consciousness that make up human beings respectfully to the source.
edit on 13-2-2012 by sgspecial19 because: edit

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
if you think very simply and logically about dark matter
you will notice one thing
dark matter feeds on matter therefore it can not be captured or seen

its just like + and -

+ - - -
- - -

all the minuses come to the plus and it all comes to the point where they become a + because of their velocity ... and the process repeats it self on a larger scale.

what is dark matter made out of:? heavier radiation concentrated in one point. and radiation does go away.... it eats the matter (changes it) to its own state as long as it can and as far as powerfull... then it stops...

posted on Feb, 13 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Instead of thinking the theories might be wrong, and try to come up with some new theories, they say, well, what percentage of everything needs to be magically invisible? There, now the equations come out right. That must be it.
Yep. You're the only genius on the planet who has thought of that. The other 7 billion people are all morons and that thought of coming up with a new theory never occurred to them. That is unless you use Google to find out that's absolutely false. You never heard of MOND?

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Judging by his other posts, I would say he has his own unique view of the world. His posts are mostly based on shock value, kind of what like trolls do.

MOND, while interesting, will have a hard time getting acceptance, as most astronomers don't want to challenge Newtonian gravitational theory (unless you're Einstein). It also doesn't accurately predict some observations. Maybe a hybrid MOND/Dark Matter theory will have more luck.

Many astronomers are starting to believe that dark matter is required to have galaxies the way we see them:

Dark Matter is seen neither as stars nor as gas clouds, rather it is thought to consist of unknown elementary particles. The Dark Matter acts as cosmic cement, which stabilises the galaxies.

www.h-its.org...

Without this cosmic cement, the universe would look entirely different.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos
Dark matter is utter nonsense. Magic fairy dust, without which their theoretical equations don't add up.

Agreed. Plasma Cosmology explains the cosmos far more elegantly, without having to resort to inherently unobservable constructs to make the math work.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join