It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugo Chavez: Warming Americans' hearts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Hugo Chavez: Warming Americans' hearts

rt.com

­A winter’s morning in South Bronx, New York City. Outdoors the temperature is near freezing. Indoors, 77-year-old Alice Maiotis is bundled up, brewing a pot of coffee and raising the heat enough to take the chill out of the air. The retired grandmother of seven lives alone on a fixed income and each winter, as federal programs continue to be slashed, the struggle to afford warm comfort gets harder.

“I go around screaming and yelling,” the elderly lady says. “All they do is raise, raise, raise, raise and it is the same dollar you are getting, so how far can you push it? A hundr
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.time.com
www.progressive.org

+19 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Hugo Chavez is demonized by the U.S at the same time he is offering help to those 99%, in addition to his oil for the poor program he also is responsible for heating around 250 homeless shelters around the U.S and economic programs for Native-Americans.

In my opinion this is a showcase of the US's double standards of presenting themselves as the forefront of democracy and freedom, while at the same time funding coups against democratically elected governments around the world.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Chavez is a piece of crap Communist.

Every Venezuelan expat I have talked to despises this communist piece of dung.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Here is a couple of videos from RT on the same topic.
edit on 2-2-2012 by SkurkNilsen because: one more vid.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

And which country donates more money and resources to other countries than any other country in the world? The USA.

Its all relative. Im not a huge fan of US foreign policy either. Hugo likes to make himself look good, all the while suppressing freedoms in his own country. Oldest trick in the book.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Chavez is motivated by politics.. his gestures are there to convince people he's less than horrible .. And by the fact you posted this, it's worked to some degree.. don't get me wrong, it's great he's done it .. and he can keep on doing it.. I won't mind! but his motivations are less than admirable.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Interesting story S&F for giving me something to think about. Chavez... Is there an ulterior motive? is he a scumbag communist, an idealist? I don't know and i wont posit an opinion. However I do find it rather ironic that We The People are receiving foreign aid.

I have heard about something similar to this before. Time to do some light research, if i dig up anything good Ill post what I find.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

Foreign Aid Per Capita

This link suggests otherwise.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkurkNilsen

Foreign Aid Per Capita

That list is sorted alphabetically, and only seems to account for money which makes it pretty useless if you ask me.. foreign aid comes in many forms.. the two biggest are money and military aid... also that is an old list, our foreign aid has been on an upwards trend since then.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
US foreign aid summary

I would also remind everyone that one third of US foreign aid goes to Israel and Egypt.

edit on 2-2-2012 by SkurkNilsen because: added link

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   

I would also remind everyone that one third of US foreign aid goes to Israel and Egypt.

Even if true, I haven't researched to verify .. it doesn't help make Chavez a better person... Chavez is heating a couple hundred homeless shelters, it's great.. it's politics, but it's great.. it doesn't negate everything else about him.. how much aid the US gives to whom doesn't change Chavez as a person, or as a leader.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Imagine: A spin that creates Necessity.

my mind goes to the Coliseum of Rome about 175ad the Games, a crowd of poor is gathered and somebody is throwing bread at them. To appease them? Or to Look Good.

Look, its a state of mental health to think that a corrupt gangster is a Saint.
Chill, the same sort of writes have been about Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
The typical communism scapegoat.
The -amount- of foreign aid doesn't matter, because 70% of that foreign aid is funneled into US-Multinational corporations in order to 'help economies' become democracy and skyrocket! Even though it doesn't work and only benefits a small portion of their population while the rest are left to starve.

Anyways.

Helping heat grannies house with some of his oil? Thats pretty nice of him to help support some americans. Seeing as how the american government won't.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

US foreign aid summary

edit on 2-2-2012 by SkurkNilsen because: added link

Also .. the article I sent you seems to disagree with this... one of the largest recipients of American aid is Afghanistan .. 4,646.50 million .. vs isreal which got $36.30 million in 2010 .. Isreal is actually very low on the list in terms of dollars .. egypt got $397.00 million .. also very low on the list.. but far more than Israel .. even combined those two rank low on the list..

Your information seems off .. by a large amount .. unless you refer to collectively over a long period of time? .. but you only provided one statistic that was years old

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Don't forget Pakistan and India lol.

Good for Chavez, but he is still a tyrant so to me, he's a horrible person none the less. You can be evil and still do nice things once and while to cover your tracks. But you can't change history and what has already been done. Just my thoughts.

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Foreign Aid Per Capita

That list is sorted alphabetically, and only seems to account for money which makes it pretty useless if you ask me.. foreign aid comes in many forms.. the two biggest are money and military aid... also that is an old list, our foreign aid has been on an upwards trend since then.

en.wikipedia.org...

The list is alphabetical, however the numbers do not suffer from beeing presented thus. You do read numbers as well as letters I suppose....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

This is a GREAT program - and I love it that Chavez plays the "trickster" with such panache. Whatever your political leanings, you have to admit this move is funny.

....Venezuela has been stepping in to make Alice’s life a bit easier by delivering 100 gallons of free heating oil each winter. She is a four-year beneficiary of the Citgo-Venezuela heating oil program, which provides free heating oil to 500,000 poor Americans living in low-income neighborhoods and shelters throughout the country.

President Hugo Chavez, often demonized by Washington, helped launch the program in 2005, following hurricanes Katrina and Rita.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Foreign Aid Per Capita

en.wikipedia.org...

The list is alphabetical, however the numbers do not suffer from beeing presented thus. You do read numbers as well as letters I suppose....

Indeed I do .. thanks for the lovely insult
but it is an old statistic, the one I provided is from 2010 .. it describes all forms of aid, yours describes dollars only .. aside from being very old data, it also isn't all inclusive..

Can we avoid insult? it serves no purpose.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

This one isn't alphabetical, and of newer date.....

Commitment to foreign aid by country

Denmark 52%
USA 3%

edit on 2-2-2012 by SkurkNilsen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

reply to post by miniatus

This one isn't alphabetical, and of newer date.....

Denmark 52%
USA 3%

Source and date? .. and remind me again how this makes any difference to how awesome/horrible Chavez is? I was only disputing your data ( as it was outdated, and only included a single form of aid ) .. it's still completely irrelevant

<<   2  3  4 >>

join