It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US-infantry, any good?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:52 AM
link   
OK, we have seen how effective the US airweapon is in bombing(I won't mention combat nor dogfight) situations but how about the infantry compared to other countries? I am not too impressed with the way, for example, marines act in Iraq in combat situations. Also it is really no good measurement against Afganistan nor Iraqi army troops since their army was a bit non existence. So does the US-army rely mainly on the airweapon to gain success in combat situations?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 02:08 AM
link   
US soldiers aren't the best ambassadors, there basically "grunts" who don't really know how to act to civvies in foreign nations. Just giving them a Hershey bar after knocking a civilians door down and threatening their family at gunpoint then searching their house isn't the way to act.

I think US soldiers need to be taught better communication and diplomatic skills. This would go a long way.

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
One British army officer said they were "gun toting cowboys with a shoot first and think later" mentality.

This is proven by the number of "friendly fire" incidents during both Iraq wars.

Id be very scared if I was an ally on the US side, in fact Id be more scared of them than the enemy.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   
i can remember a saying from WWII.."when the british bombed the germans ducked..when the germans bombed the british ducked..when the americans bombed we all ducked"

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heratix
i can remember a saying from WWII.."when the british bombed the germans ducked..when the germans bombed the british ducked..when the americans bombed we all ducked"

yeah they upgraded that one after korea," when the british shot the germans ducked,when the germans shot the british ducked when the americans shot every fu**er droped.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
although to be fair, they have an OK force.
thier delta and ranger units are quite good,id place them high up in the infartry forces respect list.
thier USMC though thats a diffrent matter they do not get slagged, those guy rock especially USMC reacon.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I served with the 2d Ranger Batallion.

While there is plenty of jabbing that goes on between the branches and other units, I of course am taking some of the previous comments personally.

There is nothing wrong with the "Grunt". It is the grunt who goes in and puts the boots where they need to be, establishes facts on the ground.

But train them to be diplomats? What for? I think the fiasco in Iraq demonstrates that we can beat the living daylights out of any army. However, occupation is a diffreent matter.

But just because one is a grunt does not mean they are unintelligent, unthinking, unfeeling cro-magnons. Most have families they would like to see again. Most are there serving because they love their country. Of course there are a few thick headed individuals.

Our job was to destroy the enemy. Not to love them in to submission. Combat infantry. The jokes from the past are colloquial to be sure. But unless you have strapped your boots and ruck on, picked up your rifle, fixed bayonets, and lost some friends while doing so, I suggest you keep the comments a little more light.

I did a lot of cross training with the Brits 2d Para. Not one time did I hear them insult the American fighting soldier or Marine.

The Spider
Sua Sponte- of their own accord.
A Co. 2d Batallion, Ranger, 75th Infantry Regiment
Rangers Lead the Way

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spidergooch

There is nothing wrong with the "Grunt". It is the grunt who goes in and puts the boots where they need to be, establishes facts on the ground.

yeah but it is a problem when the "grunts" do a very shizen ass job.

But train them to be diplomats? What for? I think the fiasco in Iraq demonstrates that we can beat the living daylights out of any army. However, occupation is a diffreent matter.

uhh dude the job of a diplomat is to represent thier school,country,corperation.etc. thats what he meant. not ACTUALLY train them as diplomats to solve peace and stuff.

But just because one is a grunt does not mean they are unintelligent, unthinking, unfeeling cro-magnons. Most have families they would like to see again. Most are there serving because they love their country. Of course there are a few thick headed individuals.

totaly right there.

Our job was to destroy the enemy. Not to love them in to submission. Combat infantry. The jokes from the past are colloquial to be sure. But unless you have strapped your boots and ruck on, picked up your rifle, fixed bayonets, and lost some friends while doing so, I suggest you keep the comments a little more light.

give me the gear and i'll join you. also MANY people are on this site who have.

I did a lot of cross training with the Brits 2d Para. Not one time did I hear them insult the American fighting soldier or Marine.

para's wont slag anyone really. they earned respect of almost every branch and unit in the military and they have respect for everyone else.
thats why you will never hear a para slag a marine.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Samiralfey
I am not too impressed with the way, for example, marines act in Iraq in combat situations.

what exsactly didnt impress you?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
You can chalk up our military's failures to the U.S. government.

The U.S. government simply doesn't realize that the U.S. military is a COMBAT force. They are not built for winning hearts and minds or being "diplomats," or for occupation. So you can't blame the infantry for that.

The U.S. government always puts our soldiers in uncompromising positions with no margin for error, situations they have no idea what to do in. Then, when the reporters ask the government officials what went wrong, they say "Evil. Satan is at work in the world."

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
All you have to do is sign up. I don't carry a supply of gear, but if you are ready to go, then go for it. I wen't to see a recruiter after 9/11, but missed the cut off by a year.

SO let me know when you are enlisted and ready to go, and I will send the care packages!~

BELIEVE ME, I am fully aware that I am not the only one who served.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   
By the way, I WON'T tell you whom they did slag. So evidently there were some in the 2d Para that didn't respect everyone.

Which unit will you be trying out for, by the way. Just curious.

The Spider

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Ive been on exersise with US Army in Germany and on the whole they are Solid Soldiers, Just like any other Army really. They have a "go get em" attitude and they do sometimes run in were Angels fear to tread. Over all i found them a good bunch of lads.
They are just like any other Soldier.
Their fire dicipline can be a bit, shall we say, lax at times but when you get the Ammount of Ammo they get you can afford to spray of rounds like they are going out of fashion.
But they are just like us, they miss their loved ones like we do, they get cold when they sit in a trench full of water like we do and they miss home like we do.
But i must say you do get a nice sense of security when you see the Columns of US armour roll past knowing that they are on your side.
Are they the best trained in the world? No i wouldnt say they were. But the logistics and supply and sheer numbers connot be matched and their equipment is the best money can buy.
I wish i could say the same about our Armies supply and equipment (UK)

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ground soldiers aren't good diplomats because that's not their job. Their purpose is to fight enemy soldiers and secure conquered ground. Sending a soldier to do a diplomats job is no better than giving a diplomat a gun and telling him to clear a trenchline. He's going to fail miserably.

Add in the fact that 10 year old girls are running up to US soldiers to blow them up with hand grenades, and you can see why soldiers tend to hold people at gunpoint instead of accepting them with open arms.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   

All you have to do is sign up. I don't carry a supply of gear, but if you are ready to go, then go for it. I wen't to see a recruiter after 9/11, but missed the cut off by a year.

SO let me know when you are enlisted and ready to go, and I will send the care packages!~

BELIEVE ME, I am fully aware that I am not the only one who served.

yeah im too young.
doubt the US packages will be much use to me in scotland.
yeah umm what was the last bit for?

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:21 PM
link   

By the way, I WON'T tell you whom they did slag. So evidently there were some in the 2d Para that didn't respect everyone.

Which unit will you be trying out for, by the way. Just curious.

The Spider

RN engineer or RMC combat engineer and vehicle mechanic
they probably salgged the RAF

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoterica
Add in the fact that 10 year old girls are running up to US soldiers to blow them up with hand grenades, and you can see why soldiers tend to hold people at gunpoint instead of accepting them with open arms.

Several of my friends who have served(and are serving) in Iraq have made similar comments to me. In other words, you just can't be too careful.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

The Spider
Sua Sponte- of their own accord.
A Co. 2d Batallion, Ranger, 75th Infantry Regiment
Rangers Lead the Way

i would never ever EVER doubt your dedication to the right cause..and i would never EVER insult the american fighting force in any way(we are almost 1 and the same)check the welsh background in american history..
all i "quoted" was a saying from WWII..i meant no disrespect to you or your ways..all i am saying is that is what HAS been "quoted"
i apologize for any misunderstanding

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:42 PM
link   
please say you are not talking about british and american forces being the same.
cause if you are you are greatly mistaken.

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
please say you are not talking about british and american forces being the same.
cause if you are you are greatly mistaken.

no m8..not the forces..the mindset/thinking...the american history comes mainly from our way of thinking(no offence intended)IMO

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join