It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel seeks to make comparisons to the Nazis illegal.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Maybe because the comparison is just a little bit too accurate?

Israeli bill would outlaw comparisons to Nazis

A proposed bill would make it a crime in Israel to criticize people by comparing them to Nazis.

The draft legislation would impose penalties of up to six months in jail and a $25,000 fine for using the word "Nazi" or Holocaust symbols for purposes other than teaching, documentation or research.

The draft legislation passed its first hurdle Monday when Cabinet ministers approved it. It now goes to the full parliament for a vote.

AP

The bill was inspired after ultra-orthodox protestors dressed young boys as concentration camp inmates to protest police tactics. The proposed bill is being criticized as a threat to free speech.

Who doesn't think this won't be used against Palistinians who refer to their settlements as the world's largest concentration camp?

Besides, how can decent people have a constructive argument without comparing the person they disagree with to Hitler? That's where every argument seems to head to at some point or another.

edit on 1/10/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
so no more hitler jokes??

Can't we have any freedom on what we say?

Sure the Nazi were a bunch of A-holes but not talking about them doesn't make them disappear from history.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
`
If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck.

According to Israel, it`s a chicken.

My feelings about this , they want to eliminate the word GENOCIDE

Now instead of using that word (genocide) I have to write.

The elimination of a people for Israel`s expanding borders.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
If you behave like Nazi's it shouldn't be illegal to describe you as a Nazi. Or maybe we should make up a new word, what about Ziazi's ?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

Maybe because the comparison is just a little bit too accurate?

hehe..

exactly what I thought when I heard this on NPR this morning...

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
`

Now instead of using that word (genocide) I have to write.

The elimination of a people for Israel`s expanding borders.

I actually prefer "The elimination of a people for Israel`s expanding borders." Avoids any misunderstanding among anyone who doesnt know the word Genocide.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
`

Israel doesn't want to get rid of the word genocide; they just want to redefine it as something that can only happen to the Jews.

Israel has been one of the leading countries opposing any reference to the Armenian genocide during WW I specifically because they don't think the term should refer to any ethnic group other than themselves.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The law is an ass.
More of this bullcrap will be comming down the pike.
To date its been very successful......
Names like
HOMELAND SECURITY.......Are strictly hitlerian propaganda exactly the kind of stuff used to lure the germans into accepting the nazi program......There are lots of other examples....Its Orwellian double speak really.....
People are slowly being brainwashed by the addition of such terms to our language .....
These are perhaps blatant at times, and subtle at others....
The trick being, they are repeated constantly over and over till the people have them driven into their heads...(Its part of MK Ultra type conditioning called psychic driving....though done more gradually than in the early attempts in montreal)
There is no defense against such never ending repetitions ......
IThe TV we watch is constantly repeating phrases and catch words that are driven into our psyches.....
The radio and newspapers are the same....
They will get there through this never ceasing drivel which contains the key elements of where they want us to go......

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I doubt this will be the final solution to this problem.

Crazy extremists taking over a country... what's new?
edit on 10-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I find it ironic that the harder the Israeli government tries to distance itself from Nazis, the more they become like the Nazis.

This is a law you would expect in Saudi Arabia not the "only democracy in the Middle East".

@ the people trying to get this bill through.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Good... Same laws apply in Germany now.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CALGARIAN
Good... Same laws apply in Germany now.

Good?

Do you think this law should be applied globally?

I think the term fits and should be used until they stop acting like Nazis.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Israel seeks to make comparisons to the Nazis illegal?
Sounds like something the Nazis would do.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Perhaps they will call it the Godwin Law.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

link

---------

I personally think banning the usage of a word is just plain ridiculous. Just as I think that Holocaust denial is a ridiculous crime - let people have their opinions and let them express those opinions so that others can refute them ...... all out in the open.
edit on 10-1-2012 by UmbraSumus because: typo

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Fact: The truth hurts.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
Perhaps they will call it the Godwin Law.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

link

If Goodwin's law is correct, then Israel would effectively end up banning the whole internet in their country because, at some point, it becomes inevitable that someone will end up violating this law during the course of any discussion.

Besides; I always thought it was Israel that was the one that loved comparing their enemies to the Nazis. Can they throw themselves in jail for violating this law?

edit on 1/10/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
let them make all the laws they want...
truth will still be truth...

guess the poor little genocidal , psychopaths israel got their little feelings hurt by the truth....

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well if they don't want comparisons being made then maybe stop acting like Nazis, they can't hide behind legislation

<<   2 >>

join