It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Santorum...Iowa Surprise???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
So, today I have been listening to some talk shows, watching some news, and reading some articles online.

Out of nowhere...Rick Santorum is all over the freaking place. I think every radio talk show is talking about his surge in Iowa, Fox News and MSNBC both were talking about him, MSNBC had him as the best fit for Iowa voters, and he is actually gaining a lot of ground in the polls.

Here is an article that is also talking about it.

news.yahoo.com...

Rick-mentum: Iowa voters knee deep in Santorum

Rick Santorum, who has essentially lived in Iowa for much of the last year, may finally be taking off in the Hawkeye State.

A CNN/ORC poll released Wednesday indicates Santorum is now in third place among likely Iowa caucus-goers, with 16 percent support. That’s an 11-point jump from just one week ago, and a sign that his campaign may have picked up serious momentum with less than a week to go before the caucuses.

Pesonally...I don't see it...I don't see him getting any better than third in Iowa. But clearly the media is all over him right now. I guess with Newt falling...Santorum is the next "not romney". I know some people thought Ron Paul was the next "not romney"...but he just doesn't attract that bloc of voters that are jumping around trying to find a good "not romney".

Does anyone think Santorum really has a shot at taking first or second in Iowa???

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This will be just a way to dig up the dirt on the next hopeful that is why it isn't Romney yet by the time it's Romney's turn it will be too late to change their minds. It's all a game remember and if everyone looks like a bad candidate they will have their man in place to lose against Obama. Except if Ron Paul goes and runs in as an independant

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

heh. Well, he's the only non-Paul/-Romney who hasn't been pumped up by the media yet, so I guess it's only fair.

And I wouldn't be surprised by a decent showing for Rick in Iowa. Despite my strong issues with a good chunk of his policies, I also find him less personally distasteful than Gingrich, less duplicitous than Romney, and...well, I'm not sure exactly how I want to compare him to Bachmann or Perry.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I kinda like Rick, but I don't know much about him, this election cycle is a real, ummm, real treat,

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Lmao. The MSM REALLY doesn't want RP to lead, eh?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I kinda like Rick, but I don't know much about him, this election cycle is a real, ummm, real treat,

Don't worry, I don't think anyone else knows much about him either. Long story short, if you liked Bush, you'll probably like Santorum. BIG social conservative, big military/neo-conservative views.

In other words, I can't really stand him politically. He does seem sincere in it, though. Views and beliefs aside, I think I could actually like him on a friendly level, unlike some of the others.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Don't worry, I don't think anyone else knows much about him either. Long story short, if you liked Bush, you'll probably like Santorum. BIG social conservative, big military/neo-conservative views.

In other words, I can't really stand him politically. He does seem sincere in it, though. Views and beliefs aside, I think I could actually like him on a friendly level, unlike some of the others.

Thanks for the info, yea that is what I feel, that he might be a nice guy.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Sure thing.

I just came across this crawling up the ranks on the Daily Paul, I haven't checked any of it out myself as yet but wanted to get it to you since you're asking on Santorum, is some questionable activities and facts he's reportedly been involved in - fact check first and always consider alternate explanations (oi...can't believe I'm encouraging you to check out Rick and defending what you might find, lol): Rick Santorum: The Biggest Loser.

edit on 12/28/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I heard one of the commentators make the funniest anology today - Santorum is just the "last clown out of the crazy clown car fire drill that is the GOP race".

This whole thing has just been fascinating and scary to watch. I mean seriously - this is American politics in 2011...

edit on 28/12/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

I think Rick Santorum is my least favorite of the GOP candidates. Granted I don't really like any of them...but he just seesm shifty and arrogant.

I would much rather have Romney win the nomination than any of the other candidates...even though he has the best chance of beating Obama...which isn't what I want to see.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

You know the really scary thing...he may not be the last clown out of the clown car.

I've been hearing Jed Bush's name float around a lot...and Palin has said it isn't too late to get into the race.

If Iowa turns into a circus or if there is a statistical 3-4 way tie...I'd look for more candidates to jump into the race.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Romney...such a goober, but definitely more approvable than Gingrich (not saying much, I know).

I know you'll likely discount it, but I still think you're under-estimating a Paul v. Obama matchup. In the last poll I saw on this, Paul tied Romney, both currently losing to Obama by 7 points, IIRC. Romney carries too many legacy 'conservative' positions - at the moment, anyway, and too many republicans simply don't want him. And other than looking good and being younger, I don't see him having the same draw with independents or democrats Paul can manage, as Paul can outflank Obama from the left. At that point I think it becomes a matter of the neo-conservative republicans coming to terms with the end of the "New American Century" and overly-aggressive foreign policy. I think it would do Paul a LOT of good to get some solid clarification out there to emphasize that he's not a pacifist and WOULD actively utilize intelligence and congressional review to swiftly resolve any actual threats without bogging us down in remote deserts for no good reason at costs exceeding that of WWII.

As to Santorum, I definitely felt that way during the first couple of debates, myself. Not sure if I just softened up to him or his demeanor actually changed a bit and he started seeming more real to me.

Take care, friend.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Santorum's been doing a lot of campaigning lately. I saw a list of the "daybook" for politicians (what everyone was doing that day), and on that particular date he was making at least 6 appearances in what must be an exhausting schedule. Bachman was also in "overdrive mode" as well.

With their finances not as good as the front three, they need to work on getting news stories to keep their names and political agendas in front of potential voters.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

I only have the polls to go by...I don't take single polls as telling much...but polls over time show a trend and that is what I look at.

Obama has been consistently been polling over Paul by 5-10 points.

Romney has been consistently closer with a +1-3% either way favoring Obama or Romney. The CNN poll you are referencing is kind of a mystery to me...it is either an outlier (and there have been some of those each way) or it is a new trend of Romney falling.

You can look at the history of each candidates against Obama here.

Romney: www.realclearpolitics.com...

Paul: www.realclearpolitics.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

Romney...such a goober, but definitely more approvable than Gingrich (not saying much, I know).

I know you'll likely discount it, but I still think you're under-estimating a Paul v. Obama matchup. In the last poll I saw on this, Paul tied Romney, both currently losing to Obama by 7 points, IIRC. Romney carries too many legacy 'conservative' positions - at the moment, anyway, and too many republicans simply don't want him. And other than looking good and being younger, I don't see him having the same draw with independents or democrats Paul can manage, as Paul can outflank Obama from the left. At that point I think it becomes a matter of the neo-conservative republicans coming to terms with the end of the "New American Century" and overly-aggressive foreign policy. I think it would do Paul a LOT of good to get some solid clarification out there to emphasize that he's not a pacifist and WOULD actively utilize intelligence and congressional review to swiftly resolve any actual threats without bogging us down in remote deserts for no good reason at costs exceeding that of WWII.

As to Santorum, I definitely felt that way during the first couple of debates, myself. Not sure if I just softened up to him or his demeanor actually changed a bit and he started seeming more real to me.

Take care, friend.

Mitt Romney winning in the latest poll. Romney 45% Obama 39%

Plus the undecided voters usually vote for the challenger when the actual election takes place.

The terrible economy is dragging Obama down into a ditch. Look for Hillary Clinton to
appear out of nowhere.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

I only have the polls to go by...I don't take single polls as telling much...but polls over time show a trend and that is what I look at.

Obama has been consistently been polling over Paul by 5-10 points.

Romney has been consistently closer with a +1-3% either way favoring Obama or Romney. The CNN poll you are referencing is kind of a mystery to me...it is either an outlier (and there have been some of those each way) or it is a new trend of Romney falling.

You can look at the history of each candidates against Obama here.

Romney: www.realclearpolitics.com...

Paul: www.realclearpolitics.com...

The dems will push Obama out of the way with the truth.

According to government statistics, if the same number of people where working today as in 2007,
then the unemployment rate would be 11%.

The only reason the unemployment rate is 8.6% is because millions of Americans have just
given up and stopped looking.

<<   2 >>

join