It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We should scour the moon for ancient traces of aliens, say scientists

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
You have no idea who I work with or what I do for a living, which affords me zero time to support a BLOG!. Or anyone I'm associated with professionally. I just call crap when it stinks like crap. And I know when I go to bed each night I can sleep.

What has that got to do with the price of eggs in Denmark?

Do you need an alarm clock to get up in time to go back to work (if you in fact have to work), I haven't in over 25 years, I just get up.

Sorry to hear you have been out of work for 25 years, but again I don't see what your post has to do with the thread

:shk:
edit on 30-12-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Yes. I posted that link.
He's a lab assistant. I said that. He isn't listed as a scientist, is he? I posted that too.
www.lroc.asu.edu...

I'll say this though. I'm pretty sure Wagner is more of a scientist than you are.
edit on 12/30/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I'll say this though. I'm pretty sure Wagner is more of a scientist than you are.

More assumption

Never claimed to be a scientist
Though I am very good in geology and gemology, top of the class in chemistry and not to shabby in physic.. and swing a mean sword...

But seriously... you guys are so flustered by this that you are getting desperate, while the news is going viral...

Seems others consider them scientists

The paper...
Searching for alien artifacts on the moon
P.C.W. Daviesa, R.V. Wagner
www.sciencedirect.com...

Physicists Paul Davies and Robert Wagner of Arizona State University believe there may be signs of extra terrestrial life in the form of messages, scientific instruments, waste or evidence of mining that could be spotted by human telescopes and orbiting spacecraft.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

ASU Researchers Propose Looking for Ancient Alien Artifacts on the Moon

Of course, it has been said by some that such artifacts have already been found and known about for decades but hidden from the public by NASA, et al. An entire cottage industry has grown around this idea. There are actually a handful of anomalies from various missions that would be interesting to see at much higher resolution via LRO, such as the well-known “Blair Cuspids” photographed by Lunar Orbiter 2 in 1966,

www.universetoday.com...

ASU cosmologist suggests studying moon for alien artifacts

Professor Paul Davis and research technician Robert Wagner think so, and that's why they've published a paper in Acta Astronautica that suggests we humans begin taking a little closer look at our own moon to see if any alien life forms might have left behind some evidence of their visit. Though some might see it as farfetched, or heaven forbid, lunacy, Davis and Wagner are convinced that it's worth the small amount of investment such a search would entail. What if, they suggest, close-up photographs of the moon that are already being made available to the masses (from NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter) via the Internet, were to be presented with a request that anyone that would like to participate, study whichever photos they find interesting, looking for anything that appears of unnatural origin, then report back. Interesting "finds" could then be studied by many others, and those that seem promising could be studied further by professionals. It all seems so easy, after all, other group projects are underway, and by most accounts, appear to meet with relative success.

www.physorg.com...

Look for alien artifacts on moon, says renowned scientist
earthsky.org...

THE SEARCH FOR EXTRATERRESTRIAL ARTIFACTS (SETA) ROBERT A. FREITAS JR
Xenology Research Institute, 8256 Scottsdale Drive, Sacramento, California 95828, USA.
www.setv.org...

A Search For Alien Artifacts On The Moon
ALEXEY V. ARKHIPOV Institute of Radio Astronomy, 4 Krasnoznamenaya Str., Kharkov, 310002 Ukraine
www.boomslanger.com...

So squirm away, little skeptic.... this one is a point for our side

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Anyways , getting back on topic here . IMO all these petitions for UFO disclosure were getting it wrong in a way . Go for the pictures at Nasa to be released not full disclosure . Then put them all online for everyone to have a look at .

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Maybe you're right. You are probably nothing like a scientist. I assumed you like to take a scientific approach since you seem to be impressed by scientists when what they say suits you. Silly me.

It isn't me who is squirming. Just exactly who are you trying to kid? Remember what you said; "LROC scientists?"

Robert Wagner is an undergraduate student at Arizona State University majoring in Earth and Space Exploration.

www.sciencedirect.com...

The Huffington "article" is a blog post. Sara got it wrong.
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

Universe Today? They got it right.

Professor Paul Davies and research technician Robert Wagner admit that the chances of success are very small, but argue that the endeavour would be worth the minimal investment required.

www.universetoday.com...

Physorg? Well you quoted it yourself.

Professor Paul Davis and research technician Robert Wagner

Earthsky:

In a paper published in Acta Astronautica, astrophysicist Paul Davies, and his student, Robert Wagner, suggest that this can be done by closely examining images from an existing spacecraft now in orbit around the moon

earthsky.org...

Freitas? He's an "LROC scientist?" Is the Xenology Research Institute a well known scientific institution? He seems to be more interested in looking for objects in orbit than in pictures of the Moon in his 1983 article.

Arkhipov? Not associated with LROC either. He thinks the Moon would be a good place for archeology but that looking at pictures of the surface would be of little use.

So...no "LROC scientists." Why did you say that? An oopsy or did you just expect people to believe you and add it to the list of insinuations which you have developed over the years. Part of your little habit of creating your own memes? Repeat it often enough and it becomes true?

edit on 12/31/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

The images are online.
Have you bothered to look for them?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are you saying ALL and I mean ALL including the ones that have been ALTERED as well are on line ? Is that something you would be giving a guarantee to it being so ? If your not sure ?

edit on 31-12-2011 by watchdog8110 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
Otherwise, rather than these scientists saying...

Although there is only a tiny probability that alien technology would have left traces on the moon in the form of an artefact or surface modification of lunar features...

...they would have instead been talking about the anomalies that they think look like signs of alien technology.

It sounds to me that these scientists don't think that any signs of alien technology have yet been found.

I'm not having a pop at you here, Soylent, but this type of bullcrap really irritates me...

They don't know whether there is a, "tiny probability that alien technology would have left traces on the moon in the form of an artefact or surface modification of lunar features," because if there are traces they haven't found then there is a 100% probability (probability 1). It is a complete unknown (putting possible cover-ups to one side for a moment) so you cannot assign a probability to it. I absolutely hate seeing scientists quoted like the priesthood with a monopoly on truth when they are making unscientific nonsense statements like that!

And don't anyone tell me they know there is a tiny probability, because they cannot know the probability as long as this remains an unknown. Scientists, including whoever made that statement will instantly understand what I mean - at least I hope so.

Sorry, Soylent, I wasn't venting at you specifically...
edit on 31/12/11 by Pimander because: fghnjdcgjdg***

Universe Today? They got it right.

Professor Paul Davies and research technician Robert Wagner admit that the chances of success are very small, but argue that the endeavour would be worth the minimal investment required.

www.universetoday.com...

Professor Davies is at it as well is he? We don't know what the chances of success are until we have done it. Jeez!

edit on 31/12/11 by Pimander because:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Whatever ones views are on this topic started by the OP Paul Davies and Robert Wagner are two sources that in my view have added credibility in the notion and perceptions that there should be any public involvement what so ever in searching lunar images for any signs of unknown or unnatural lunar surface modifications;Seems that what we are witnessing just now is a gradual shift in perceptions and mind sets of possible ET realities from credible sources and that these sources are now beginning to take a keen interest in what could be out there;Would this kind of request to the public have happened say 10 years ago;The more these kind of credible sources act the better i feel;

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Watchdog8110,

I'm so new to ATS...I of course have no PM privilages.

So let me say here ...off topic a little...Thanks for the PM, I recieved it. The information was great!

Thanks for sharing it,

I hope to be a full member soon.

Has anyone looked at the photos I mentioned?

John

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Paul Davies is not an "LROC scientist". He is a professor and director of the Beyond Center.

Isn't a "theoretical physicist and cosmologist" a scientist? Isn't he working with LROC?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by K-PAX-PROT

Davies can hardly be said to be beginning to take an interest in extraterrestrial life and intelligence. He's published a few of books on the subject. His involvement with SETI goes back to the 1990's and he's currently the chair of its post-detection taskgroup.

I think that Davies and Wagner's idea of a SETIathome type search is fine in principle. I think that in practice the signal to noise ratio of such a program would render it essentially useless. However I do see in the abstract that one of the highlights of the paper is to make the point that searching the LRO database would make an excellent educational project. I would agree with that.

Maybe more people would learn how to tell the difference between a crater and a hill.

edit on 12/31/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Yes, Davies is a full-fledged scientist.
He is not listed as a scientist involved with LROC.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

OK, now I understand it, he is a professor in the Arizona State University but not part of the LROC program.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Are there or has there been more scientific minds taking some sort of interest in what could be out there recently, my main point is that these sources like Davis and Wagner are clearly stating a genuine interest here and that their main objective is searching for any signs of non human interferences in the lunar surface,that has to be noticed as a major shift in the mind set of people of their credibility with actually wanting the public involved too;No matter how one dissects this news the fact is it remains a welcomed and new approach in the search for ET intelligences which i feel are teaming in our galaxy never mind the universe ;This has the potential to snow ball and if results start coming in showing possible unknowns or modifications then who knows where this will take the scientific establishment;I welcome any credible sources engaging in the search for other life forms be they from other scientific fields or not;

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

reply to post by ArMaP

Yes, Davies is a full-fledged scientist.
He is not listed as a scientist involved with LROC.

It should be noted however that even though Wagner is not a fully fledged scientist he is still never the less involved with the LRO and is responsible for "image evaluation" and "assessment" unlike a vast majority on here,(no disrespect intended to those who are not engaged in some form or another like Wagner),While splitting hairs on different but important points raised on this topic can be perceived as "sidetracking" from the real issue of the progress emanating from such sources as Davies and Wagner engaging in a public reconnaissance mission, that in its self is to be welcomed and not to be taking lightly or dismissed because of scientific differences;

Robert Wagner is an undergraduate student at Arizona State University majoring in Earth and Space Exploration. He works as a Research Technician in the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Science Operations Center, where he is responsible for image evaluation and assessment. He has broad expertise in earth sciences and computing.

link;www.sciencedirect.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
ArMaP , here is another interesting find from the image you provided . Thought you might like to have a look see also .

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

An excellent idea to crowdsource the search for anomalies. I think the world is going to have to get used real fast to the notion that technological civilisations have existed (and may still exist) on other planets in the solar system. The availability of high resolution images from Mars Global Surveyor, The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera (LROC) and other missions should hopefully make the search easier.

LROC has a really easy to use image browser at target.lroc.asu.edu... with image resolutions as high as 0.5m per pixel when you zoom right in. Fascinating.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
For all those that think NASA is hiding stuff and are not to be trusted, shouldn't this article be enough to convince you otherwise?

Nasa has made more than 340,000 LRO images public, but that figure is expected to reach one million by the time the orbiting probe has mapped the whole lunar surface. "From these numbers, it is obvious that a manual search by a small team is hopeless," the scientists write.

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
To counter your reply , whats the chances that all space based weapons will be banned ?
2nd line

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join