It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London Olympics: 13,500 Troops To Be Deployed

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I know they do need the extra security because of a cock up in the figures however

HMS Ocean, the Royal Navy's biggest ship, is to be moored in the Thames and 13,500 armed forces personnel deployed during next year's Olympic Games.
add to that

Typhoon jets will be moved to RAF Northolt to provide air cover during the seven weeks of the games.
HMS Bulwark, an amphibious assault ship, will be based in Weymouth. Both craft will carry Puma or Lynx helicopters.
They can also carry the Apache attack helicopter armed with cannon and Hellfire missiles
It would seem they are possibly preparing for something huge to happen. What do they know that we don't.news.sky.com... BTW comment left on the sky web site

Posted by: DeanPRoberts on December 16, 2011 8:07 AMFalse Flag Event here we come !!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
They arent their to protect, they are they to play
didnt you know the new sport is skull cracking of innocent civilains

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThrowCatsAtCacti

I was thinking more about the miltary hard wear. What possible set of circumstances could we see a fighter jet engaging a target in the middle of London

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

I thought they were being deployed because we have told off for our original plans? (which were for far fewer troops, no warships, etc). Apparently this did not meet approval in the USA, although it is entirely possible that was just dodgy reporting!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
Add this to the anti protest law being put in as well
the goverment looks like its going to stomp down
HARD on anything that makes the uk look bad.

It looks like boris got a few tips from the chinese on
how to deal with the little people when he was over
there.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Well a fighter jet would probably render useless in a dense town like London, most things it would be appropriate for could be done cheaply with a police helicopter.
It might just be a bit of a muscle flex, if they were preparing for something big they wouldn’t be telling us the details.
On the other hand this whole thing could be an easy passage to pass a new law removing the publics freedom.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by tarifa37

I was thinking more about the miltary hard wear. What possible set of circumstances could we see a fighter jet engaging a target in the middle of London
Perhaps some kind of threat from the air.Ala 9/11?

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
After Iran is toppled, Syria will be next, then Russia during the Olympics.

London and the Olympics will still be going on and Hillary will be laughing when they have Putin swinging from a rope.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09

Originally posted by tarifa37

Perhaps some kind of threat from the air.Ala 9/11?

That thought crossed my mind I cant see any other use for jets and attach helicopters over London
edit on 16-12-2011 by tarifa37 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
After Iran is toppled, Syria will be next, then Russia during the Olympics.

London and the Olympics will still be going on and Hillary will be laughing when they have Putin swinging from a rope.
Its not going to be that easy..

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I'm so glad I don't live in London.
First I have no interest in sport.
Second - London citizens are already picking up the tab for some Olympic expenses
Third - there is potential for total mayhem. From rioting scumbags to real terrorism. They probably didn't have any alternative but to bring in troops. Still - it doesn't augur well for where this country is heading.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Well, if there is a terror attack it won't be in London will it? With all the now well documented military there.....

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I think there will be riots again this summer, wouldn't surprise me if they coincide with the Olympics. And lets just say, where many of the riots took place this summer are literally a stones/bottle/molotov cocktails throw away from the Olympic stadium, right in the heart of one of the poorest areas of London. No wonder they are getting the troops in.
edit on 16-12-2011 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
i dont know how right or wrong i am on this subject, but this the internet andf im going to take to my soapbox, and if im wrong im sure someone will tell me !

ON the olympics, it has dawned on me in the last few weeks what a scam it is. At the heart of it the olympics is a sporting event which is promoted by a private company, yet countries squable with each other and spend millions of pounds,dollers or whatever just to get this private sporting event hosted in their country.

Now, once said country has the permission for this private sports event (remember, tickets were sold ... its not a public event) said country then has to not only build the complete infrastructure for the event to take place with the hope that enough people come through that area and spend money (not ticket money) to cover the costs with the feeble backup that "it will be there for generations" ... (yet probably not used by the population rather a select few).

now ... to add to this insanity,we now need to pay for 13500 troops to police this, as the police in the uk clearly aint good enough. now thats even more money that the uk has to waste paying for a private sporting event ... lets say an average kind of wage in the army is around 30000, lets say they work for 6 weeks whilst their, 4 weeks for the event and the week before and after to prepare/ wind down... this equates to £31153846 in WAGES ALONE !!! ... FOR A PRIVATE FREAKING SPORTS EVENT.

it is dawning on my how much of a perfect scam the olympics is, this company puts on a private sporting event of epic proportion but acvtualy pay for none of the actual promotion of infrastructure for their events, and this had been going on for 100's of years ....

wtf olympics?!?! just wtf!

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I disagree I think we have seen the last of the riots, at least on any large scale. The reason behind my belief is due to the thousands of images obtained the perpetrators have been hauled before the courts in their droves with stiff sentencing being handed down. Last time they stupidly thought they would get away with it, now they know otherwise.

link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Well, if there is a terror attack it won't be in London will it? With all the now well documented military there.....

Fair point.

Though I think any serious terrorists would be well prepared and already in situ. The main value of troops would be in dealing with the aftermath. I hope our intelligence is up to speed.

link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

It is a massive scam your right. The Uk government decided to spend an extra 400 million on the opening ceremony just because they didnt think it was glitzy enough. Just think of how that money could have been spent. The amount of sports funding and equipment that could have bought. Instead it will be spent on pimping up a ceremony that lasts 20 mins. The whole thing is a parade for Corporate sponsors and advertising.

It will not bring any prosperity to the region in the long run, we will just be left with a load of sporting arenas that no one knows what to do with.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boaby_phet

I would say that on the plus side the troops shouldn't cost us any more money as they are being paid anyway.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

But most of them did get away with it. I would say there is about a 90% chance of it happening again. Most people I know in London think it will happen again, the Olympics would provide the perfect back drop for the rioters.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
give its a 24x7 coverage required so it'll be 3 shifts of 8 hours so just over 4000 troops on duty at any time and dont forget that will include the cooks/cleaners/officers who dont know one end of a gun from the other etc so probably there will be about 5 guys on active patrol at the max knowing the MoD

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join