It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria arms missiles with chemical warheads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
And if they are crazy enough to launch them against Israel, they will probably be nuked since chemical weapons like that are WMDs and Israel's only WMD are nukes. You hit us with WMDs, we hit back with WMDs, it's fair game.

Report: Syria arms missiles with chemical warheads

The Syrian regime, which has endured nine months of civil unrest spurred by the Arab Spring as it swept across the Middle East, has armed its medium-range missile arsenal with chemical warheads.

According to a report published by the Sabah daily Sunday, Damascus armed 600 one-ton chemical warheads to use in the event of a foreign military intervention. Furthermore, President Bashar al-Assad ordered the deployment of 21 missile launchers along its border with Turkey. Syria’s medium-range missiles that can be equipped with chemical warheads have a range of up to 1,300 kilometers and would include the southern and central provinces of Turkey.

Additionally, Russia, which stood by the Assad regime’s defiance of international pressure on Damascus, sent 3 million gas masks to the troubled country. Most of those masks will be distributed to the regime’s loyalists, the families of soldiers and Baath supporters. The distribution of the masks is set to be completed by the end of December, according to the daily.

The source is meh, but I think it's probably very close to the truth. The Assads will do everything to not fall, including using everything they've got, even if it means getting nuked back.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Why can't these dictators just go quietly. What makes them think they have the right to rule a whole nations by force, especially when the overwhelming majority don't want them in power. This is scarry stuff, I can see that the human race is in the biggest danger it has been since the cuban misssile crisis.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

todayszaman? sorry but i find that news site to be less truthfully isnt that news site a Turkish news site?

They havent been qutie right on some of there news stories.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The Assad regime can't be that stupid, then again, maybe they are.

The Russians really want the west to get involved here, and to make sure they stay involved for a very long, very costly time.

Can the west possibly ignore an atrocity inflicted upon humanity with chemical weapons?

Stay tuned!

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Turkey will never be trusted for NEWS about Syria.

It was predictable that Turkey would be one of the poles in the region to keep the pressure on Asad.

Turkey has much problems of it's own and is one of the most spineless powers in the region.

Turkey is still fighting with P.K.K and hasn't even put an end to it after months.

Turkey is just relying on US and is the most hypocrite country in the region.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

todayszaman? sorry but i find that news site to be less truthfully isnt that news site a Turkish news site?

The real source according to the article is the Sabah daily. I think it's a Malaysian newspaper.

And anyway, it doesn't matter which newspaper is reporting it. It's credible. They will do everything they can to stay in power, including threatening people with chemical warheads to avoid foreign intervention.
edit on 11-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by hmdphantom

So the Iranian government doesn't think highly of Turkey then. Still I'd rather trust the Turkish than the Iranians. At least the Turkish ministers in power were elected by its people.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I can't take this seriously at all. What could they possibly expect to gain by using WMD? apart from their own annihilation at the hands of the united states... Also why would Russia implicate themselves in such a crazy plan by sending them gasmasks worth a few dollars each? None of it makes any sense at all.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I really doubt it. Assad is a fool, but he got enough smart people around him. Using chemical weapons ,even if invaded, will get all top Syrian leadership dead. They would rather be alive without Assad.
As for 3 million gas masks.... How are those going to help if Syria will launch chemical weapons ABROAD? Killing enemy civilians with poisonous gas while throwing gas masks at enemy soldiers, probably.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

The real source according to the article is the Sabah daily. I think it's a Malaysian newspaper.

And anyway, it doesn't matter which newspaper is reporting it. It's credible. They will do everything they can to stay in power, including threatening people with chemical warheads to avoid foreign intervention.

The Sabah daily? they are less then credible if it was credible and for real it will be on anddseron cooper on monday.

They will do everything they can to stay in power, including threatening people with chemical warheads to avoid foreign intervention

America and EU really should not use intervention this time around they really sould mind there own problems as the have alot of problems.

As for your source personally Obama would be doing the same thing he would do anything to stay in power too but i guess the western elites would always play around and screw with the people first.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Sorry for the double post.
edit on 11-12-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

The Sabah daily? they are less then credible if it was credible and for real it will be on anddseron cooper on monday.

They will do everything they can to stay in power, including threatening people with chemical warheads to avoid foreign intervention

America and EU really should not use intervention this time around they really sould mind there own problems as the have alot of problems.

As for your source personally Obama would be doing the same thing he would do anything to stay in power too but i guess the western elites would always play around and screw with the people first.

Citation

Needed.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

This is so obviously a psyop propaganda campaign. How ridiculas, err consider this. The USA has thousands of warheads tipped with chemicals bioweapons and nukes. In fact any chemical warheads without a warhead is just a chemical! Of course Syria has chemical warheads, they have had them for years IMO. so has Iran and many other countries!

You dont decide all of a sudden to put chemicals in warheads because you may be attacked. Chemicals in warheads are sealed units that release when the seal is broken. In the seal they can remain stable for many years.
edit on 11-12-2011 by TheMindWar because: Typo

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

The Sabah daily? they are less then credible

Well that's why I said the source was meh...

if it was credible and for real it will be on anddseron cooper on monday.

So when was the last time that CNN reported on something important? It seems it was a long time ago.

Totally.

[reply to post by Atzil321

What could they possibly expect to gain by using WMD?

That's not about using them, that's about the threat of using them to deter aggression. Remember the cold war? Same thing with the Russians. Attack us and we nuke you! Deterrence.

Also why would Russia implicate themselves in such a crazy plan by sending them gasmasks worth a few dollars each?

Russia are Syria ``allies``.

Can the west possibly ignore an atrocity inflicted upon humanity with chemical weapons?

No. But it could happen so quick that I think we wouldn't have time to notice. Especially if it happens when it's night/christmas/new year eve in the US.

You dont decide all of a sudden to put chemicals in warheads because you may be attacked.

Actually yes you do. And you don't put chemicals in warheads, you put chemical warheads in missiles. If you got them of course.

The Assads probably think that conventional deterrence is not enough since NATO can easily wipe the floor with the Syrian military even more easily than with Iraq... so they go for their deadliest weapon... chemical weapons. Except it's still crap in front of armies prepared for it like the Israeli army... use chemical weapons only on Israeli troops, which won't be effective, you won't be nuked... use chemical weapons on population centers (where it will be effective)... you will get nuked.

And I hope like all of you that it's all a bluff and that if the order ever came, Syrian troops/generals are sane enough to tell Assad to go to hell.

IMO it's all about deterrence... and if that ``bluff`` is called, like if the Soviet Union ``bluff`` was called during the cold war, it will be up to the people in charge of the missiles to decide.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Seems to me it's getting crazy in Syria leadership...

Syrian opposition sources: Defense minister killed

Syrian opposition officials in London reported that Deputy Minister of Defense of Syria Assef Shawkat husband of Bushra Assad was killed during an argument with his aide General Ali Mamlouk.

What the hell? When you kill someone over an argument, the deputy minister of defense of all people, something is definitely wrong.

Total speculation : fighting over what action to take if Syria is attacked? (like use chemical weapons which would mean annihilation of Syria?)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
can these warheads reach U.S. soil? If not than why do we give a rats a@@. not our business move on

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by letscit
can these warheads reach U.S. soil? If not than why do we give a rats a@@. not our business move on

Technically, they can... if you consider US military bases as US soil. The US has military bases in range in Turkey and in Iraq.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

The USA has thousands of warheads tipped with chemicals bioweapons

Source?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Don't bother, there's no source.

Syria nearly launched chemical missiles at Israel after Israel bombed their nuclear powerplant

He nearly launched after that incident. You think he won't launch if he's about to be overthrown? ...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I certainly hope not.

Assad can't be that stupid as to not expect that the Israelis would not respond with a nuclear strike.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join