It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police 'killed deaf cyclist with stun gun after he failed to obey instructions to stop'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0zzymand0s
reply to post by Xcathdra

Who has the monopoly on force here? Those are the people I will be holding to a higher standard.

No arguments from me. However I suggest you learn the laws / policies & procedures / training etc that apply to law enforcement first. If you or others want to hold police to a higher standard, dont you think you should know what those standards are in the first place?

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by theRhenn
Stuff like this hurts the very bottom of my heart.

I wish people would think before doing this sort of thing. I mean Cmon.. Minimal force nessissary!!! MINIMAL FORCE you F^$%#^ AS$&%$&^%!!!!

One hell of a way to live life. That mental guy REALLY deserved that... Come into life mentaly incapable... Live his whole 60+ years probably being picked at, looked down upon and probably never had the chance to experiance love one single time in his life... And some asshole takes it all away because apparently he wasnt good enough to continue life...

That cop should get the chair! Screw loosing his job... Go directly to the chair... Dont waste my tax dollars on his trial.. I've already found him guilty of murdering an innocent human being.

I couldnt agree more with you, the outrage runs deep on this one. If I could, I would pull the switch on the cop while in the chair.....this says it all............ www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

In reference to this and your previous post about a teacher having sex with a student and how it could (but doesnt seem to) discredit all teachers as it seems to do police when they step out of line, I agree that teachers as well as any public servant that has the public trust should be held to a high standard. Police are held to the highest standard, in my opinion, because of the authority granted to them and the power (but not license per se) to kill.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by gunshooter

I think you might have a problem with authority. Sure bad cops should be punished but everyone deserves a trial in our system. We dont lynch people.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen
reply to post by spacedonk

"We will hurt you if you dont get off the bicycle so we can see if you are hurt."
Makes perfect sense to me....not!

If you try to jump off this bridge and kill yourself, we are going to shoot you dead...!!

lol

I suppose they could say that you might land on someone, so shooting you dead for trying to kill yourself is justified...

It's getting a bit like that in the States...heh

What about Grandma sick in bed, an old woman who couldn't even lift her arms and police tazered her for not getting out of the bed or something...lol

Wonder how long it will be before police just march people into the street and execute them on the spot, at their own discretion...
edit on 11/25/2011 by Ironclad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Seems like a good time to dig out that old leather jacket.Going about your daily buisness is likley to get you tazed and the leather jacket will stop the barbs from getting near your skin.

Other that that I could see a way to line a jacket with thin copper wire and earth it to the ground through your shoe but once we get to doing that the cops will just shoot people instead.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I appreciate your thorough response.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts and asking questions.

I did not compare the Hollywood/LA bank shootout but agree that the police on the scene were under armed (they even had to requistion some AR-15s from a local gun dealer to try to compete with the fully automatic AK-47s.

I brought it up as an example of how situations can have a profound affect on how law enforcement operates and adapts.

Personally, if I was a police officer I would carry my own assault rifle and maybe even a sniper rifle in the trunk (and maybe a handful of AP rounds to boot).

A couple things here -
Most Police agencies will not allow (in general) -
* - an officer to carry any weapons that they have not qualified with
* - an officer to carry any non issued weapons unless their is a certified armorer on staff (services / checks / knows the ins and outs of the weapon / how to fix it, troubleshoot etc etc etc).
* - an officer to modify weapons in that manner (sniper rifle - usually this is reserved for SRT / SWAT)
* - an officer to outfit any issued weapon with a laser sight on it.

People need to understand the laws that cover this area and the ruilings from the courts that define it. If we were to use a laser sight during an armed encounter, and we miss the suspect (or hit somone else) it allows the defense to question training levels and competency of the officer using it. They can also make the argument that by using a laser sight the officer is not concerned about peaceful resolutions, since they are armed with modifications to kill.

Defense lawyers get creative in this area..

I know all about "discretion being the better part of valour" but it didnt take 2 hrs for SWAT to get to the Columbine HS did it? The average policeman isnt as trained for quasi-combat operations like members of SWAT or perhaps former military on the force but I guess SWAT waited for "backup" also then......

As I said, you cant use 20/20 hindsight to monday morning quarterback an incident that occured 12 years ago. At that time the entire response from law enforcement was by the book.

The result of that, and North Hollywood, rewrote several pages of that book. I understand your arguments and position however, and with all due respect, you cannot review Columbine or the North HollyWood shootout using todays standards.

The situations must be viewed, and reviewed using the laws / policies etc from the respective time frame.

Law Enforcement and Criminals and criminal law are ever present as well as an ever evolving fact of life - It runs 24 / 7 / 365..

I understand people have their own personal views of law enforcement and what they should and should not be allowed to do. The issue with that is if people dont take the time to understand the system, then how can they go about fixing it?
edit on 25-11-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

wow... thats like saying "my son's guinea pig charged me this morning while i was watching tv so i shot it to death"
your logic -> durrrr what else cud dey do? its lik dey cudnt do nuffink else exsept tazer heem 2 def

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Police are held to the highest standard, in my opinion, because of the authority granted to them and the power (but not license per se) to kill.

* - Police are not trained to "kill" We are trained to stop the threat. While people may see that as splitting hairs, its a very real and important issue when deadly force encounters occur. Its paramount to the investigation as well as any subsequent court cases.

I agree law enforcement should be held to a higher standard. As I said before though people should be familiar with the current standards as well as law / case law. If a person is not familiar, how could a person claim law enforcement is not being held to a higher standard?

Its all about perception and knowledge - Example
* - You do not have a background in the medical field. You are in the ER waiting for a doctor to come into your room. While waiting you look across the hall into a trauma room and see medical staff working on the patient. While you watch you notice the Doctor makes a fist using both hands. You see the Doctor bring that enlarged "fist" up over his head and then with a lot of force you watch the doctor slam that fist down on the patients chest.

To an untrained person it would look like the doctor is beating the crap out of the patient.
To those who are in medical recognize the action for what it is - A cardiothump.

Going back to not having a medical background, you are upset about what you just saw. You think the doctors actions were uncalled for and illegal, because in your opinion the doctor was hitting a patient for no reason at all. You decide you want to hold Doctors to a higher standard.

How can one do that if one is not familiar with the profession / actions / laws / policies procedures etc?

I appologize for continually repeating the knowledge and understand part, but I feel its very relevant and important.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Well I guess you all should be tased daily so you don't forget what it feels like.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dolamite

Well I guess you all should be tased daily so you don't forget what it feels like.

Fair enough.. I think you should be tased daily as well so you dont judge law enforcement actions without knowing all of the information first.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by lapi7

Originally posted by MysticPearl

Seems they've run out of excuses. Can't blame them. Society has little, if any respect for their profession, given stories like this have been coming out consistently, and popping up all over ATS. Cops have repeatedly shown they aren't intelligent enough to handle the responsibility they are given, have extremely poor judgement, and think they are above the law, and the law doesn't apply to them.

I'm sorry to disagree with you however I personally do NOT believe that it is a matter of...

"they aren't intelligent enough to handle the responsibility they are given, have extremely poor judgement, and think they are above the law, and the law doesn't apply to them." as you have stated.

I believe that that human consciousnesses has collectively digressed to a point where people who hold ANY positions of authority (from those in the highest echelons of government to the hall monitor at your local elementrary school) have simply become infected with actually finding pleasure and almost orgasmic delight in being cruel, mean, controlling and outright sadistic.

It's like an actual disease that is spreading in an epidemic manner.

It reminds me of that movie called 28 Days Later.

edit on 25-11-2011 by lapi7 because: Correction

Perhaps this would be an opportune moment to develop and organize a new religion.

"The First Church Of Cruelty & Sadism"

Only people in positions of authority need apply for membership.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Seems to me that to put this thug cop on "administrative leave" is a gross miscarrage of justice. This cop should be treated as anyone who is caught willfully murdering a person for no good reason. So-called stun guns can be lethal and when any cop chooses to uses one he should be held accountable. It is no different than shooting a bullet, IMO.

This thug cop should be in jail awaiting trial for murder. He'll probably get by with it considering the sad police state Amerika has become.

edit on 25-11-2011 by romanmel because: typo

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Well you see I don't really feel like reading about what it means to be a big bad law enforcement agent. I don't feel like reading about how my chest automatically becomes steel and my arms become bowed from trying not to bump into my gun when I am walking. I don't feel like reading about how my cop lights on top of my beautiful Crown Vic make me cream when I turn them on for a simple traffic violation. I don't feel like reading about your little cult. I don't feel like reading about how to remind people what is right or wrong every day I put my silly little uniform on, because I AM the law. But maybe i should ya know? Maybe I should try and get that wonderful job of playing God patrolling the streets. But maybe you should try holstering your taser with the cheeks of your buttocks.....

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dolamite

Well you see I don't really feel like reading about what it means to be a big bad law enforcement agent. I don't feel like reading about how my chest automatically becomes steel and my arms become bowed from trying not to bump into my gun when I am walking. I don't feel like reading about how my cop lights on top of my beautiful Crown Vic make me cream when I turn them on for a simple traffic violation. I don't feel like reading about your little cult. I don't feel like reading about how to remind people what is right or wrong every day I put my silly little uniform on, because I AM the law. But maybe i should ya know? Maybe I should try and get that wonderful job of playing God patrolling the streets. But maybe you should try holstering your taser with the cheeks of your buttocks.....

Well stated.

Most cops really haven't a clue about the law. They are generally of low intellect, IMO.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

I utterly disagree with this statement. A minimal amount of people will die being tazed. A minimal amount of people will survive being shot. Tazers have a place, it is the training to ensure it is not first recourse to apprehend a suspect that is required. There will always be an element of judgement in their deployment. In this case we seem to be presented with facts that the cop deployed in inappropriate circumstance, did he intend to kill - I say no. It is training these young guns that a taser has a time and place and it is not like star trek where the stun gun only ever stunned.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I dind't make a statement I said " I think they don't know..." It wasn't sure so I suggested. Read before you pass judgement.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Probably looked something like this... This guy was acquitted all charges, but resigned due to mass protest outside of the police headquarters.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

If there are standards that allow the police to use a tazer to knock a man off a bicycle -- those standards need to be changed. This is easy stuff, people. The police don't *need* this kind of power, and frankly -- this action is proof that they can't be trusted with it.

posted on Nov, 25 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
and I saw this today about a cop in Harrisonburg, VA where the officer "euthanised" a cat which was found by somebody. The guy said the cat had been hit by a car. Here is the story and a quote from it.

Cop kills cat with baton ???

Wayne Meadows of Harrisonburg tells The Daily News-Record that a car hit the cat on Nov. 11. He took the injured animal home and called Harrisonburg authorities. An officer who responded told Meadows there were two options: let the cat suffer and died or euthanize it.

Funny about 6 years ago I found a cat hit on the road. He was right on the double yellow line flopping back and fourth. I scooped him up and took him to a local vet that patched him up. The bill was about $150 which the owner grudenly paid for his grand daughter. I found out it was her cat after knocking on a few doors. Well it turned out better than this poor cat.

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join