It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police 'killed deaf cyclist with stun gun after he failed to obey instructions to stop'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Police 'killed deaf cyclist with stun gun after he failed to obey instructions to stop'

www.dailymail.co.uk< br />

A police officer killed an elderly, deaf and mentally disabled man riding his bicycle by shooting him with a Taser stun gun after he failed to obey instructions to stop.
Roger Anthony, 61, was killed as he made his way home in Scotland Neck, South Carolina, after officers responded to a 911 call about a man who had fallen off his bicycle in a car park.
The caller told dispatchers that the man appeared drunk and that it looked like he had hurt himself.
Officers said they repeatedly told Mr Anthony to get off his bike, but when he didn't respond, they shocked him.
The state Office of the M
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
This story could not have emerged at a more timely point in the discussion about widespread use of tasers with the new Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police in London claiming to be looking at increasing the number of tasers issued to British police. I heard him on the radio yesterday and he said that there had been no deaths from taser use in the UK - admittedly he qualified this by saying it was from memory.

This disgusting case from the USA (obviously sensationalised by the Daily Mail, it appears he was not deaf just hearing impaired...) reveals how the use of a taser becomes relied upon by police as an almost default action in every scenario.

How this 61 year old man who looks below average in build etc riding a bicycle was in anyway a danger to anybody is beyond me. To have the disastrous outcome of ths mans death into the bargain only highlights the original problem: namely widespread issue of tasers equals widespread use of tasers by idiots who no longer know how to police properly without first recourse to a weapon.

Any cops want to defend the use of a taser in this incident?

www.dailymail.co.uk< br /> (visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 24-11-2011 by spacedonk because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a cop's lame excuse will probably be "self defense" or "he looked suspicious"...better yet "resisting arrest" or "evading police"
edit on 2011/11/24 by moonweed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
What is sign language for "stop" anyway?

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There is no excuse for this

And no other explanation besides power run amok

If it was the other way around they'd want to give the perpetrator the chair... or whatever punishment was the worst available... what punishment will this officer of cowardice receive?

Certainly nothing close to the worst thing available under law.. probably just a slap on the wrists.

Police lives... more valuable than the common man's... reality.. and insane.

+30 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Stuff like this hurts the very bottom of my heart.

I wish people would think before doing this sort of thing. I mean Cmon.. Minimal force nessissary!!! MINIMAL FORCE you F^$%#^ AS$&%$&^%!!!!

One hell of a way to live life. That mental guy REALLY deserved that... Come into life mentaly incapable... Live his whole 60+ years probably being picked at, looked down upon and probably never had the chance to experiance love one single time in his life... And some asshole takes it all away because apparently he wasnt good enough to continue life...

That cop should get the chair! Screw loosing his job... Go directly to the chair... Dont waste my tax dollars on his trial.. I've already found him guilty of murdering an innocent human being.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by moonweed

And that really is the problem. By issuing tasers to cops they will use them as their first default response in scenarios such as this. How we can easily/readily define wether the cop felt in danger or saw a public menace in most scenarios will be near on impossible. More tasers equals more use and more injuries to innocents.

I say it is lazy policing and so open to abuse as to almost unconcionable.

The commissioner even said that the incident in London last week where a nutter grabbed a knife from a butchers and stabbed four coppers most likely could not have been stopped even if the police had tasers available that day.

+10 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

"We will hurt you if you dont get off the bicycle so we can see if you are hurt."
Makes perfect sense to me....not!

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I've noticed a lot of the cops on ATS who used to troll into every thread defending their brothers and sisters in blue, have all but disappeared.

Seems they've run out of excuses. Can't blame them. Society has little, if any respect for their profession, given stories like this have been coming out consistently, and popping up all over ATS. Cops have repeatedly shown they aren't intelligent enough to handle the responsibility they are given, have extremely poor judgement, and think they are above the law, and the law doesn't apply to them.

This is murder. If this cop doesn't get the same penalty you or I would for shooting and killing a deaf man riding his bike, it'll just be another example of the corruption and separate rules the pigs in blue live by.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CosmicCitizen

It looks like the motto, "To Protect and Serve", has been
replaced with one like: "To Harass and Subjugate".........
Obtaining Obedience to Commands trumped Assistance.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicCitizen

"We will hurt you if you dont get off the bicycle so we can see if you are hurt."
Makes perfect sense to me....not!

Yes, we have armed sociopaths 'protecting' us with this line of logic !

"We thought he looked hurt, so, naturally we tasered him to death".

I need to log out now because my anger's giving me a headache.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Im so sick of these departments "defending their own". The military doesnt put up with this # and local police shouldnt either. This cop not only needs to be fired, but he should have charges brought up against him. Stop the "IM GOD" power tripping bull#! This is sick.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Real shocker here...

To bad Americans won't do anything about it since were to busy tap tap taping away on our computers and phones.

Going back to sleep now.

Even more of a shocker; the damn officer is on leave WITH PAY. "Good job officer dickbuttkiss, go ahead and take a month vacation with pay of course" Guess who is really paying for it? YOU ARE

edit on 24-11-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowstorm

You're absolutly right but there is an other explanation, involuntary manslaughter.

What happend to blocking the way with the cruiser. Cops should be help to a higher standard and those who abuse their power to the point were people die should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MysticPearl
I've noticed a lot of the cops on ATS who used to troll into every thread defending their brothers and sisters in blue, have all but disappeared.

Seems they've run out of excuses. Can't blame them. Society has little, if any respect for their profession, given stories like this have been coming out consistently, and popping up all over ATS. Cops have repeatedly shown they aren't intelligent enough to handle the responsibility they are given, have extremely poor judgement, and think they are above the law, and the law doesn't apply to them.

This is murder. If this cop doesn't get the same penalty you or I would for shooting and killing a deaf man riding his bike, it'll just be another example of the corruption and separate rules the pigs in blue live by.

Could you IMAGINE the charges an average citizen would face if they decided to stun a 61 year old to death because they didnt stop riding their bike?! The book would be thrown! This cop is going to get off with a slap on the wrist. Im so sick of this above the law bull# and not one of you "ATS cops" can defend this crap!

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fractured.Facade
What is sign language for "stop" anyway?

i thought it was the middle-finger salute

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Not for the first time, words fail me completely!. (a bit like most leo's intelligence)

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

What is happening to the world. This is just sad, why do you need to shock someone just for not stopping anyhows....

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
If you want to be a murderer, beat people, tell them what they can and cannot do and enforce corrupt agendas of greedy tyrants then why not stop down at your local police department and join the force.

posted on Nov, 24 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I wonder how many innocent people will have to die before someone starts asking the question of whether a taser is an appropriate and safe weapon for Police to carry. I have heard now of at least 5 cases where people have died, and they weren't all elderly gentlemen. Sad news.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join