It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Medvedev: Russia may target US missile defense sites in Europe if Washington fails to address concer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Medvedev: Russia may target US missile defense sites in Europe if Washington fails to address concerns - @AP

abcnews.go.com

Russia will deploy new missiles aimed at U.S. missile defense sites in Europe if Washington goes ahead with the planned shield despite Russia's concerns, President Dmitry Medvedev said Wednesday.

Russia will station missiles in its westernmost Kaliningrad region and other areas if Russia and NATO fail to reach a deal on the U.S.-led missile defense plans, he said in a tough statement that seemed to be aimed at rallying domestic support.

Russia considers the plans for missile shields in Europe, including in Romania and Poland, to be a threat to its nuclear forces, but the Obama administration insists they are meant to fend off a potential threat from Iran.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-11-2011 by concernedcitizen519 because: spelling

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Well I've been talking about this for awhile now and how this will be huge some day soon if the U.S. doesn't include Russia in on it's plans. This must be aimed at Russia in the long run, otherwise there wouldn't be any objections as letting them in on the project, so I can't really blame them for positioning new missiles if this fails.

Something tells me that if things keep going this way the Cuban Missile Crisis is going to look like a complete joke compared to what happens.

abcnews.go.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by concernedcitizen519

Apparently the Russians want but refuse to give...

They are currently in violation of the conventional forces treaty, and have been for about 2 years now. This treaty allows inspections of each others bases as well as information sharing on troop strengths, rotations etc to avoid misunderstandings. The US just suspended cooperation and notified Moscow that until they come back to the treaty obligations, the US will no longer cooperate either.

This move looks more like a back door attempt to influence whats going on in the Middle East with Syria and Iran.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Cool, possible doom on, but i fear that as usual this is just bs, they no doubt are working hand in hand and this is just bravardo for us little people to get excited about. We really do need someone to stand up against the agenda that is going on at the moment, but i just dont think for 1 moment any of this is real, this is being done because it is what we expect them to do.

We need to start thinking outside of that box that they are so keen to keep us in.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I guess there isn't enough conflict in the world already,some want to re-live the cold war?Wars and rumors of wars...I think the Russions are deadly serious about that shield.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Click here for more information.

Ad Hominem Attacks And You

edit on 11/23/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
World is overdue for a European 'hot' war.

If the past is used as a guideline.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I don't understand how Russia will deploy missiles against missile defense systems. Isn't the purpose of missile defense to defend against missiles? And the US is putting there military all over the world. Are there any other countries that have bases in different countries than there own except the US, France and Germany?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Is there any date on that source?

Seems like old news to me

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Destiny777
reply to post by Xcathdra

Sorry, but, I honestly don't think you have a clue ....blah blah blah

(*SNIP*)

US to cease observing arms treaty with Russia: State Dept.

The United States said Tuesday it would no longer provide data to Russia on conventional weapons and troops in Europe, citing non-compliance by Moscow with a two-decade old treaty that governed the information exchange.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland told reporters the United States will cease to observe the provisions of the Treaty on Conventional Armed Forces in Europe (CFE).

Adopted in November 1990, it was seen as a groundbreaking accord credited with greatly advancing global security. But Russia suspended its observance of the treaty in 2007.

"This is an issue that we've been working on ever since the Russians withdrew," Nuland told reporters.

"After four years of Russian non-implementation and after repeated efforts... to save the treaty, we think it's important to take some counter-measures vis-a-vis Russia," she said.

The US will now no longer accept Russian inspection of its bases.

Mod edit: Please ALERT your suspicions and leave the moderating to us. Thanks. -- Majic

edit on 11/23/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Does the missile defense shield include stockpiling missiles that could be shot at Russia? Or, does it just shoot down missiles that Russia/Iran shoot at Europe?

Because I don't understand why Russia would shoot missiles at a missile defense shield aimed at defending an entire continent, unless that wanted to get passed the defenses and blow up Europe. And if Russia is capable of blowing up the missile defense shield then is it really necessary to have one because it doesn't seem like it would do anything but slow down their first shot.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

President Dmitry Medvedev has instructed the Defense Ministry to deploy an early warning radar system in Kaliningrad, its westernmost territory, addressing the issue of missile defense.

The new strategic and ballistic missile delivered to the Russian army and navy will be equipped with a state-of-the-art solution capable of overcoming missile defense systems and highly efficient warheads, Medvedev noted.

Should these measures prove to be insufficient, Russia could deploy advanced strike systems in the proximity of its Western and Southern borders capable of defeating the European component of the U.S. missile defense shield, Medvedev went on to say, adding that Russia could dispatch the Iskander (SS-26 Stone) missiles to Kaliningrad.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Aside from the political fallout do we desperatly need a multibillion dollar defense shield that may or may not work?As for working something out with the Russians i hope they have better luck than with the so called super commitee fiasco.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by LiquidAsh
I don't understand how Russia will deploy missiles against missile defense systems. Isn't the purpose of missile defense to defend against missiles? And the US is putting there military all over the world. Are there any other countries that have bases in different countries than there own except the US, France and Germany?

I dont see how the US Missile defense system could even be considered effective against Russian nuclear weapons. The Russians have state of the art mervs (single warhead, multiple nukes) and are currently working on / deploying their latest advances.

As for bases we host foriegn troops here in the US for training and what not, just as foreign countries host US bases.

Iran has naval forces based out of Syria, Russia is looking to base some naval assets out of Syria as well as Yemen. Iran has sent missile batteries to Venezuela...

Its not just the Us sending its military everywhere.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Thank you for that piece of news, I don't know how I missed it yesterday!

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Russia could withdraw from the Russian-U.S. strategic arms reduction treaty (START), which took effect on February 5, 2011 if the U.S. does not abandon its plan to deploy a missile defense shield in Europe, President Dmitry Medvedev said.

The eventual deployment of missiles and other defense shield elements close to Russia's borders and its adjacent offshore areas raises serious concerns, Medvedev went on to say.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Then build another missile shield to protect the current missile shield, then add more missiles to blow up the missiles that are targeting the missile shield.

Duh.
edit on 23/11/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
These missile "defense" shields are first strike weapons. The reasoning for my statement is this: If you can shoot down incoming missiles then you can conceivably fire missiles without the threat of retaliatory strikes. Everyone should be wary of this, however I think it's inevitable some system will come online in the next 5 years. However, they don't work well.

What we are really seeing a a jockeying for position ahead of the inevitable hot war over this planets dwindling resources. Silly monkeys always fighting....

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

I agree, I find the whole thing very troubling. There's really nothing WE can do about it but protest, but in the end it won't matter because it's "national security".

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by concernedcitizen519

Thank you for that piece of news, I don't know how I missed it yesterday!

No worries... For some strange reason I stumbled across it in a sub news category on Yahho and I think its in one of the back sections of MSNBC or Fox, I forget which one. To me it looked like an effort to report it while trying to downplay the significance of it.

Kind of like a shot across the bow back at Russia.

We are seeing the tit for tat chess game now. Russia backed Syria and Iran oer US objections to sanctions and taking action. So what occured next? The Arab league got involved and put the screwes to Syria, undermining the Russian stance. It would be difficult for Russia to argue in support of Syria when the Arab league is calling for Arab countries to end support.

Ever since NATO started accepting former east pack nations, Russia has been torqued. While I get what their problem is, I dont think they are taking into account just how inadequate our missile shield would be against their weapons.

The system is designed to engage a few missiles, not a whole swarm with multiple launch windows and targeting.
The system is designed to protect Europe as well. The Russians were inveited to participate, and a comprmoise was usggested that would have used a radar station in Khazakstan if I remeber right. That was turned down since it placed sensistive US radar technology into the hands of the Russians (even though Khazakstan is an ally, all politics are local).

NATO went so far as to share satellite images with Russia as part of their NATO observer status.

Russia and the US can destroy each other, and the world for that matter, many times. I just cant see this as being anything other than part of the ongoing Syria / Iran / Russia wanting to reassert itself as a global power.

I say more the merrier.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join