It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OWS: End Corporate Influence and income equality? Im not buying it...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
You want income equality and to stop "corporations" from using their money to leverage politics in their favor? Why focus on just corporations?

www.opensecrets.org...
Top 10 Heavy Hitters:
1.ActBlue $56,856,922 - political committee
2.AT&T Inc $47,737,462 - Corporation
3.American Fedn of State, County & Municipal Employees $46,366,658 - UNION
4.National Assn of Realtors $40,823,776 - TRADE ASSOCIATION
5.Service Employees International Union $37,634,117- UNION
6.National Education Assn $37,146,129 - UNION
7.Goldman Sachs $36,046,453 - OMG A BANK!!!
8.American Assn for Justice $35,021,304 - TRADE ASSOCIATION
9.Intl Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $34,445,372 - UNION
10.Laborers Union $32,096,950 - ...

It appears that MOST of the money is NOT coming from corporations and banks, so why does OWS not go on about how unions can buy their share of the government?

www.huffingtonpost.com...
NEW YORK -- Occupy Wall Street may have the look of disorganized youth movement, but the protest encampments are also getting support from a long list of experienced, well-funded organizations, unions and political committees. Unions from Boston to Los Angeles have sent members to march in the demonstrations.

www.workers.org...
Almost every major national labor union — except in the construction trades — and the AFL-CIO have endorsed Occupy Wall Street. But more important is that in major cities they have offered significant organizational, financial and political support to this movement.

Because they ONLY want to snitch on the competition. Imagine how much easier it would be to get all your lobbying done if you did not have to compete with anyone.

So don't put all the blame on price increases and how hard it is on JUST the corporations, remember many of them employ union workers who will go on strike the moment anyone talks about touching their benefits which they feel entitled to while the rest of the world has to work and pay for things like health coverage. And what can the corporations do? They have to raise prices to keep up with union demands (screwing you) or some people will have to get laid off (so they can point the finger back at the evil fat cat). In either case you pay for all this.

To bash on JUST the corporations and ignoring the Unions and trade associations would be the same as protesting wells fargo then making a deposit.

So if don't get too caught up in supporting this OWS business too much. I mean if you really support some of these things that OWS is saying that is fine but take a look at the WHOLE picture not just where they try to steer your eyes.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
They are not against the unions because it is a leftist movement.

I want capitalism fixed, not dismantled. I don't think most of these protesters would have a clue of what to do if they could.

edit on 22-11-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
They are not on about the unions because it is a leftist movement.

I want capitalism fixed, not dismantled.

"Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions." occupywallst.org

Not a leftist movement, anyone can participate, even people against unions. Continue to believe what you want. We will not stand for 16 trillion in bail outs

The math just makes no sense, broken banking will end, one way or another.
edit on 22-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
They are not against the unions because it is a leftist movement.

I want capitalism fixed, not dismantled. I don't think most of these protesters would have a clue of what to do if they could.

edit on 22-11-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

I honestly think many of them mean well they just really don't bother to get educated beyond watching "The Corporation" and discussing it with their friends.
Capitalism does need a tune up, where to start with that one? First off people should be protesting about the lack of AFFORDABLE housing and by that i mean housing you can afford NOT housing you can't afford (welfare section 8 ect...). Minimum wage should be enough to live on, and unions should recognize that when the worlds economy is sagging they should expect to take a hit like everyone else not threaten to go on strike.

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

I want capitalism fixed, not dismantled.

See, here is the thing about this statement. To "fix" capitalism you would no longer have a "free market". Since a "fixed" version of capitalism certainly falls into communist territory. At least partly.

We all know how well communism fly's in America.
edit on 23-11-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 22 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by CREAM
[We will not stand for 16 trillion in bail outs

But you will stand for a bailout of 482 billion dollars a year? How many jobs does GM provide? How many jobs do people on welfare provide?

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed

Originally posted by CREAM
[We will not stand for 16 trillion in bail outs

But you will stand for a bailout of 482 billion dollars a year? How many jobs does GM provide? How many jobs do people on welfare provide?

Not sure where you are going with that. I am conservative. Not a fan of welfare either. Your point is? I am really curious.
edit on 23-11-2011 by CREAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PrimalRed

OWS in a whole,CANT point the finger at one of their biggest backers,those who are Union members,enjoying their rights to protest,and coincidentally,vent their frustrations at the company's they are having Labor relation problems with.

Example:

Occupy Wall Street Protesters Project Messages On NYC’s Verizon Building

On the day Verizon announced that its third-quarter profits had jumped to $1.38 billion, more than 2,000 members of the Communication Workers union, together with contingents from unions including the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Union, District Council 37; the United Auto Workers; the Teamsters union; and the Professional Staff Congress of the City University of New York held a vibrant, militant picket line in front of Verizon’s headquarters on Water Street on Oct. 21.

Protest shows solidarity between Verizon union & OWS

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Good find
, this is what conspiracy sights are all about, connecting the dots.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

How many jobs does GM provide? How many jobs do people on welfare provide?

I think this is a bit unfair. Largely, welfare is a cycling system. To keep people on their feet until they can do so themselves. I think it would be a horribly misplaced sentiment to get rid of it.

Think of it this way. "I dont want your money, Society, but if I have no choice I would take the offer." And that's basically what it is. A helping hand from society. Well, in theory at least.

The opposite end of the spectrum can only logically be Social Darwinism. Letting them starve. Or freeze. Or have heat strokes. Or a bunch of other things.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Im not saying we should do away with welfare, im just curious why people get upset about the bailout of a company that employs tons of people but are okay with the bailout of the individuals.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I hope OWS and the Unions stay united to shift the balance of power in this country from the owners to the people, and maybe together they can rescue the middle class before it becomes extinct.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jlv70

I hope OWS and the Unions stay united to shift the balance of power in this country from the owners to the people, and maybe together they can rescue the middle class before it becomes extinct.

Im with ya 1/2 way here, but the balance of power? Did you read the OP and see how much MORE spending power unions have than everyone else? Most of them donate to Democrats also, you happen to notice what our president is?
But the middle class does get screwed that hardest. They make too much to get any kind of financial aid for anything but don't quite make enough to make it on their own when things get tough.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Im not saying we should do away with welfare, im just curious why people get upset about the bailout of a company that employs tons of people but are okay with the bailout of the individuals.

Can you answer me? My point of my posts here is to show OWS is really not a left or right movement.

I support OWS because I want revolution, a collapse of the system, an end to all bailing out, to balance the playing field, force people to be involved in their communities. Im not saying they should completely do away with welfare either, but the top 0.00001% are mooching off the system WAY more than welfare recipients, 16 trill is WAY more than half a tril. My parents come from families who refused welfare even though they were struggling.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   

im just curious why people get upset about the bailout of a company that employs tons of people but are okay with the bailout of the individuals.

Well, I dont know why. What I can say is that if people get "bailouts" then businesses should be afforded the same right, I suppose.

However, they should just be more self aware of their finances than the average Joe. They hold a lot of lives in their hands and taking risky moves or otherwise endangering their business is obviously not something they should be doing with the knowledge that they cant lose "Cause the government has their backs."

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

I think this is a bit unfair. Largely, welfare is a cycling system. To keep people on their feet until they can do so themselves. I think it would be a horribly misplaced sentiment to get rid of it.

The Problem TL,is Welfare has become a Governmental Institution,to big to fail.

In the Great Depression,people would rather starve,then go on welfare,because pride was something Americans had.

Nowadays,greed,"whats in it for me" attitude,"Get it before you lose it" attitude prevails.

Welfare was supposed to be a short term fix,to lifes problems.
Now you see many on it,for their whole lives,willing to stay on it,because that mentality is common place.

I have lived in the inner city,and know many that circumvent the "system",by having more children,etc....,just so they can continue in this destructive premise of normal behavior.Why? Because Government cant fix it. A perpetual cycle of living with hands held open.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

So, Social Darwinism for you then? At least tell me what you think would fix it.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Yea, the unions are getting ripped off, the politicians aren't doing anything for them. Hopefully they'll wise up and figure out that they're barking up the wrong tree.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

please explain how they are getting ripped off, i would love to hear that one.

posted on Nov, 23 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Who were those Unions backing as Presidential hopefuls,when NAFTA and CAFTA were being created,to further destabilize the very union workers,they were supposedly trying to protect ?

Where were the Unions when jobs were going overseas,in mass amounts,and WHY weren't they calling out the politicians they helped vote in?

How much Union member dues went to those who have corrupted this country?

Where was the Union version of OWS 10,20,30 years ago?

edit on 23-11-2011 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join