It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why can't people accept there are other religions....

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have been quite active on another thread in this forum and I have realised that some people from certain religions can't/won't accept that people have different beliefs then them.
Some go so far into saying "if you don't believe what I believe your going to Hell".
I don't mind religion as long as it is not one where they try and scare you into believing it.
Why do some people act all higher than thou because they think they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Well maybe all Religions are right and all you need is one person believing in a god for that god to exist.
I think I was put off by major religions at school with all the "your a sinner and your going to Hell etc" thats why I have been searching for something else and thanks to this website (and the cool members
) I have a lot of reading to do.

Treat people how you want to be treated.....best line ever and its in all major religious texts. So why don't we just follow that eh?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I believe that all religions are connected somewhere no matter how different they may be but i think its the slight moral differences that make people rolls their eyes at other beliefs.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Why can't people accept there are other religions....?
Anything less than at least 'acknowledgement' is hypocrisy in my book. Tolerance is the key. Fortunately I have heard many from different religions acknowledge their differences without slander, but it is still a sore and volatile issue. I thought the judging was left up to god? I like Joseph Cambell's analogy that "god is a god of a thousand faces."

Peace and tolerance...please.
spec

edit on 30-10-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Because religions were designed like that. Some breed preachers, some breed haters, some breed ignorance. Some actually think they need to convert others if they are doing something they or their religion considers wrong (like smoking the magical herb or same-sex couples) and some religions have you believe in invisible mystical creatures that explain all the bad in this world (even if the "bad" stuff going on in the world was allowed to happen by the people in the first place) so they don't have you point your finger at the government. Yep gotta love it all, religions are put there amongst us so we'll battle each other trying to claim that their religion is true all while government spreads and infects all essentially getting bigger.

I'm sad that religion has gotten this bad, many people believe the horrible things in this world were created by demons so all they have to say is "screw that, I'm going to heaven/the afterlife" not even going to bother trying to help the planet they were born on so they put all that extra work on the ones that actually do care for life. People need to realize that they're trying to shift everyone in to a one world government system, they'll do that by any means. And well # they can hop on any universal disaster or heck, even create one themselves and all the religious folk thinks it's a sign/message indicating the end or the beginning of the end so that will have them preach it to everyone having them completely dismiss the possibility that the disaster was caused by the government/NWO/nature.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
It boils down to this. There are only 2 real choices. Christianity or non-Christianity. There are only 2 paths, one is very wide and easily followed; the other is very narrow and only a few will follow it. You have free will, choose the path you wish. Just understand that each choice has it's consequences. As long as you are willing to accept the consequences, make your own choice.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Hinduism.
Kama Sutra.

Why would anyone NOT want to convert to Hinduism?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Your proving my point you saying its christianity or nothing else.
There are many many religions and only a third of the populace follow it, the others follow others.
So why are they are wrong and you are right? can't you accept that a non-christian who is a good person can get into heaven?
The Dali Lama is a Buddhist and has done a lot of good in his life but according to Christians he will goto Hell because he hasn't accepted Jesus he goes to hell when a person who is evil but accepts Christ can say sorry for his sins but goto Heaven. Do you know how stupid this sounds?

All major religious traditions carry basically the same message, that is love, compassion and forgiveness the important thing is they should be part of our daily lives
thats a quote from the DL himself.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I think everyone believes in the same omniscient higher power and the way it was interpreted varies from each region. Some religions became corrupted and abused/raped their people of all sorts of things, wont mention any names... But I'm not sure why people wont accept others religions. I think many people are egoistical and need to be right therefore rejecting anything they dont believe in. I do not believe in any religion but still a high power, not a "god". I do not try and enforce my beliefs on others but rather slip hints, plant a seed and let the flower grow by itself. Were all on our own path towards to same finish line, even if you dont believe there is one.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I see you have started your own thread, good for you. Some people would not know the truth if it were staring them in the face.

PLPL

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Minori

Yup I had to get away from you know who...he is all that scare's me about religion.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
I have been quite active on another thread in this forum and I have realised that some people from certain religions can't/won't accept that people have different beliefs then them.
Some go so far into saying "if you don't believe what I believe your going to Hell".
I don't mind religion as long as it is not one where they try and scare you into believing it.
Why do some people act all higher than thou because they think they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Well maybe all Religions are right and all you need is one person believing in a god for that god to exist.
I think I was put off by major religions at school with all the "your a sinner and your going to Hell etc" thats why I have been searching for something else and thanks to this website (and the cool members

Treat people how you want to be treated.....best line ever and its in all major religious texts. So why don't we just follow that eh?

Here is the reason my friend...

Culture Shock: a state of bewilderment and distress experienced by an individual who is suddenly exposed to a new, strange, or foreign social and cultural environment.

Source

The above is my own work.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Faith is not something you work out. God establishes your faith by working in and through you. The person works out their salvation by their faith. Apart from faith, there is no salvation. Paradoxically, faith apart from works is dead. The key is seeing God from a standpoint of love. There are beautiful passages in all religions that point a person toward love. Ultimately, the Bible reveals the clearest picture of love. It is the epicenter of all the other religions.

Pride says that works can get you to God, so man moves away from the source to form his own belief based on works. Each religion follows a different path based on works. After a person comes to see that works are not the way to God, there is one way that can be clearly see that leads to life. By why?

Duplicity says one thing but means another. If a person thinks works can get him to God, he is expressing duplicity. Works are a way to gain reward. If reward is the thing desired, then duplicity is the result. If a person seeks God to avoid judgement, then duplicity is again created. Only a faith that seeks the supreme good of God (love) as its own reward is the honest intent.

John 14:6

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

The 'way' is a reference to Eastern religion and removal of self. The 'truth' is a reference to philosophy and virtue, which is also necessary. The 'Life' is a reference to extended life in the kingdom of God, which can only come by placing your own self in the name of Jesus. The name is His character of love for others. Each of these perspectives are found in other religions, but the way to God is not by works. All other religions place the emphasis on works. Works are the product of our faith to God, not the way to God. Jesus came to show this way of finding life and true reward. His message is unique to all of religion.

Love God and love others--even enemies. Bless those who persecute you and pray for those who curse you. This is unique to the Christian faith. It is a complete removal of self and pride. It is a complete expression of love for others. God is one of the others to be loved. Jesus offers something no other religion produces: Faith with a byproduct of works from a changed heart.

You asked, "Why can't people accept there are other religions?"

For me, this is easy. I value all perspectives leading to an understanding of God. They all have a valuable perspective and hold keys to increasing faith from expressions of that faith. Once all religions are examined, they all lead right back to the source--God. All seven continents were given a part of the overall story. The Bible clearly says not to judge, but work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. We will be judged in the same measure we judge others. Again, Jesus holds the key to this thought.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

Don't you think Muslims,Jews,Buddhists etc all feel the same way about their religions?
Doesnt mean they are wrong.
I think it is all about names you could swap the word Jesus for Allah etc.
edit on 30-10-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Cheers dude more to read later

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

lol
agreed

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I like the last paragraph of what you posted here....

For me, this is easy. I value all perspectives leading to an understanding of God. They all have a valuable perspective and hold keys to increasing faith from expressions of that faith. Once all religions are examined, they all lead right back to the source--God. All seven continents were given a part of the overall story. The Bible clearly says not to judge, but work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. We will be judged in the same measure we judge others. Again, Jesus holds the key to this thought.

Your saying all religions lead to the same God right? but I disagree that I have to follow Jesus to understand it.
Also why the fear and trembling? I want to work towards my own salvation with an open heart full of love and happyness, not because I fear it.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
It boils down to this. There are only 2 real choices. Christianity or non-Christianity. There are only 2 paths, one is very wide and easily followed; the other is very narrow and only a few will follow it. You have free will, choose the path you wish. Just understand that each choice has it's consequences. As long as you are willing to accept the consequences, make your own choice.

These are the parts in the bible that egoistical Christians need to read to get over their view that they know best.

Matthew 7:7-11
New International Version (NIV)

Ask, Seek, Knock
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.
9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!

This tells that every human who seek god will find god. Everyone who asks questions will enventualy find the answer. God is a teacher that wants you to understand not blindly memories scripture. The way to true enlightment is critical thought. In my experiance god loves to use synchronicity.

Matthew 7:21-23
New International Version (NIV)

True and False Disciples
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Tolerance of each other is the way not using religon as a weapon. From my point of view all religons can make you reach god. Im sorry if I am pushing in my way but I have a hard time with the attitude that we know best, but here im pushing that I know best
. Do whatever you think is right and pay the price if you are wrong. I don't think god has an ego that needs to be storked by us beliving in him. But I do think he likes it when we tell him nice things or when we enjoy his creation. This planet with it's stupid dualities is making me nuts. I kinda go to god from New Age and Buddhism.

I can say the same as above.
There are only 2 paths, one is very wide and easily followed; the other is very narrow and only a few will follow it. You have free will, choose the path you wish. Just understand that each choice has it's consequences. As long as you are willing to accept the consequences, make your own choice

The narrow path is for me love, tolerans, selflesness, service to all.
The wide path is fear, hate, intoleranse, selfishness, service to self.
What you belive is not as important as what you are. Some just read the bible. Some take it to heart and strive to be better.

As always if this don't fit your reality ignore my rantings. Namaste.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by apushforenlightment

You know what ....thats a great post and if I had taken more attention at school I would have written that

Very well put and it seems we think alike.
I hope there is a God and he accepts me for who Iam and not the religion I picked/was brainwashed as a child etc.
Star for you sir.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
In fact I invite all people of any different faith to join us on here and agree to one thing.....we should love and respect each other not matter what Religion (if any) you are.
Lets talk how we can make the world a better place

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Don't you think Muslims,Jews,Buddhists etc all feel the same way about their religions?
Doesnt mean they are wrong.
I think it is all about names you could swap the word Jesus for Allah etc.
edit on 30-10-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

It doesn't matter. If love is present in the heart, a believer will know Jesus when he appears. All eyes will see and every knee bow. The time to know is when the Son of Man is revealed. The fact will override the fiction when we see face to face with God. The sheep will be separated from the goats. Only God knows our hearts.

John 10:27

My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.

It is not our call here. Either a soul knows the voice or they don't. God is the judge. We are the witness. I can only witness what I see and hear along the way. It only takes the correct perspective to nullify the rest. In time, faith will become fact and the eyes will be open as the captives are set free.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join