It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'World War II Evacuee' Costume For Little Girls Is Most Offensive Of All Time

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Chronicles of Narnia anyone?

Considering the movies made money, and the open scene was of the kids being evacuated, even the second Nanny McFee had those.

So I can easily picture someone using those costumes as part of a 'family themed / group of kids' based on those movies sort of Halloween holiday outing.

Offensive, costumes... I'm sure you could find much worse things to dress your kid up in than THAT!

(Have you seen the pack of smokes kids costume anyone?)

M.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Awww who can deny the Holocaust now? its so sweet

It seems like we as a society are willing to do anything for shock value.... I LOVE freedom of expression and all the other parts of the Bill of Rights, but like I said about the ground zero mosque. there is such a thing as good taste and proper timing.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkej23

Another person confused about what an evacuee is?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I'm not British, but I don't find this offensive. The first thing that came to my mind was the girls from The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe... Those children were evacuees. I don't see how that's any more offensive than dressing up as Harry Potter.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   

I don't see why anyone would where it, but I am not offended.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue

I agree, why would a parent want to dress a child up to be a war refugee? Halloween is supposed to be fun, and there is nothing fun about being a refugee, no matter where you are or when it happens.

Get your history and facts right.

The children "sent away" during the WW2 raids were EVACUEES and not REFUGEES. While I hate referring to wikipedia, have a look here for a definition of what it means.

ETA-Even if one is an evacuee, that is still not good and causes suffering. Reading some of the replies here, an evacuation sounds like it is no big deal, but it would have caused me great anguish as a child if I had been taken away from my home, in order to avoid bombs.

While it was no pleasant thing to have happened, they were/are not comparable to the suffering of "refugees" in various 3rd world nations (you didn't make that comparison, i know but others have alluded to it).

What these children and other civilians had to endure, while terrible at the time, is part of British history and it's an important part of our British culture, helping to define who we are - had they NOT evacuated, many of us would not be here today. So in some ways, we look back on it with pride and thanks for their courage.

So you can sob and whine and cry about how horrible it is - but go and find someone still alive who was an evacuee and see if they want your pity and sympathy. They don't.

edit on 31-10-2011 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by merkej23

It seems like we as a society are willing to do anything for shock value.... I LOVE freedom of expression and all the other parts of the Bill of Rights, but like I said about the ground zero mosque. there is such a thing as good taste and proper timing.

If you are being sarcastic, fair enough.

If you're being serious - go to a library and open up a book on WW2 and READ it. Such a stupid post belittles the people of both historical events. Moron.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
In fact alot of the evacuee's really enjoyed being sent to the country, these kids came mostly from London and had never seen the country side, also remember it hid a lot of horrors of war from the children *the blitz etc)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I thinks it's a good idea. So many kids now doesn't know the 1st thing about world history (even as recent as WW2) maybe this will at least make them know there was a world with problems before they were born.
Not that you are wrong, you are just wondering if we getting hardened to the horrors of world wars.
I do think that the makers may have had it in mind that kids might ask questions.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join