It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'World War II Evacuee' Costume For Little Girls Is Most Offensive Of All Time

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

yeah but this isnt a warrefugess costume its a costume of a british girl who got sent away to live in the country during ww2 and a part of there history now if it was a costume of a somali war refugee all skinny and tiny and whatnot(ala starving marvin) then yeah get offended but this is a costume from a portion of british history that other then being away from their parents not much bad happend to them hell they could have called it a lion the witch and the wardrobe costume wouda been the same thing same content but then would you have been offended?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Me thinks OP is confused about the costume jah

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

If this offends you Partygirl then you have not been paying attention, really is that even a Halloween costume? I'f I saw a l girl dressed in that I would think, and probably ask...."So were is you costume little girl?"

Your taking this to serious and way out of context, it's not even a good costume. And there are many more offending costumes out there then that.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think encouraging an anorexic to go as a concentration camp survivor would be along the line the OP is thinking.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by underdogradio

i think the anorexic one would just get an anorexic annie costume.....if we are bringing up offensive costumes might as well bring up actual screwed up costumes it was either bulemic betsy or anorexic annie ill see if i can find it on google

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partygirl
reply to post by noonebutme

Even if it has nothing to do with concentration camps its still very tasteless to me to dress kids up as war refugees for play. Don't you think that's a little screwed up?

I agree, why would a parent want to dress a child up to be a war refugee? Halloween is supposed to be fun, and there is nothing fun about being a refugee, no matter where you are or when it happens.

ETA-Even if one is an evacuee, that is still not good and causes suffering. Reading some of the replies here, an evacuation sounds like it is no big deal, but it would have caused me great anguish as a child if I had been taken away from my home, in order to avoid bombs.
edit on 28-10-2011 by PacificBlue because: add txt

edit on 28-10-2011 by PacificBlue because: sp

edit on 28-10-2011 by PacificBlue because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by KilrathiLG

Seriously, you've seen someone selling those types of costumes?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue

I agree, why would a parent want to dress a child up to be a war refugee? Halloween is supposed to be fun, and there is nothing fun about being a refugee, no matter where you are or when it happens.

ETA-Even if one is an evacuee, that is still not good and causes suffering. Reading some of the replies here, an evacuation sounds like it is no big deal, but it would have caused me great anguish as a child if I had been taken away from my home, in order to avoid bombs.

You're right, the whole idea of being evacuated away from ones parents during wartime is scary.

But let's not forget what Halloween is all about! It is a day in which people face their fears, pull them out in the open, so they can lose some of their emotional force. They can be looked at outside, then laughed at. It is cathartic. While facing these scary things and eating sugar, they also take on a more positive association.
A skeleton starts to make a kid immediately think of candy when they think of it, and it is much less likely to haunt their dreams.

The things that used to scare people to think about were ghosts and witches (and for the most part they really believed they existed). Kids today are scared by what? Aliens, terrorist attacks, war...... this is a time to face those... and learn to laugh at them, so they have less power to paralyze us in fear when we think of them.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by underdogradio

sadly yes sever was even a thread about it or at least a news article i read a while ago heres links

eatingdisorderstreatment.com... HORRIBLE
""If you can’t decide what to be for Halloween this year, do I have a costume for you! If you wanna be the life of any party, then you have to get the “Anna Rexia” outfit! You heard me right, you can dress up as “Anorexia Nervosa“!""

these are the kinda costumes we need to get rid of not Narnia girls

www.ranker.com... (example childrens suicide bomber costume,or number 10 just had an aborton warning horrible )

guyism.com... Those are tastless and some are out right bad warning nsfw penis costume at first link)
edit on 28-10-2011 by KilrathiLG because: quote and add more links

edit on 28-10-2011 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-10-2011 by KilrathiLG because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Have you ever seen a kid actually wearing these? Hmm?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

yes sadly my frend in california got the suicide bomber costume for her kid
and they got a small (3-5) year old on the website looking pretty happy in one i dunno just figured those would be the kind we would be more likely to be offended by as opposed to the op's original costume brought up

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Yup

All Made in China....

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Meh. the kids are being paid to wear them for the advertizing.

Kids are afraid of bombers. When I was a kid my friends dressed as Freddie.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Personally I do not find this costume offensive, in fact just last month, my son, and his class, for their world war 2 topic, had to all dress up as evacuee's, get on a train, and re-inacted being re-housed in the country (well in a church on the other side of the city), complete with billeting officer, and being made to stand in line, and get picked out by some elderly members of the church. It was die-hard I was there, the poor kids, its like when your standing there waiting to be picked for the team, hoping you aren't the last one standing at the end...brutal !

To be honest, I could have done with a boy evacuee costume

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
No more than Prince Harry dressing up like Hitler which out fit is sick now?

Talk about ridiculous.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I might note, being from the UK, that I am proud that the children during World War 2 were brave and strong enough to go through this evacuation.

It must have been hell scary for them. Worrying about their parents still in the cities. Sent to live with strange families out in the countryside. Yet they knew they had to be protected, and this was a good way to do so.

I am very proud of them for being as strong as they were.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Yeah i think im missing somthing here in terms of the costume...

Dunno how many people are in the UK and commenting on this but its clearly based as a UK evacuee that was moved from the cities to our in the "sticks"

Bed knobs and broomsticks was already mentioned, then you hav the chronicals of narnia which are blockbuster movies now, the kids only get to narnia because they get sent to a house as evacuee's

i know people who either had evacuee's in there home or had grandparents who were evacuee's i dont find this overly offensive at all, its a par of history that happens, i have seen some people dress up as sick things in my time so in comparison this isnt too bad. surley if you treated this as offensive... no roman centurions? they were war machines/mongers same with vikings... pirates loved a bit of rape and pilage..... what about Dracula he prays on usually innocent younger females and feeds on them before getting them to join his cult.. what im getting at is surely you could argue about 80% of costumes can be viewed as sick if you look at the meaning behind them...

at least its not a "sexy evacuee"

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfullNot refugee, evacuee... most of the kids in at risk locations in Britain where evacuated somewhere safe.. all the kids around here where evacuated due to the threat of invasion, others due to them being in urban cities or industrial locations due to the threat of bombing.

You beat me to it.
It is more tasteful than the 5 year old harlet costumes that I see.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Well you've officially created the most unfounded obnoxious thread on ATS until someone brings up Elenin again.

Thanks for the laugh Partygirl...
edit on 28-10-2011 by Hawking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Anyone who hit the Lion Witch and Wardrobe idea before I did, sorry- I didnt read all the way through till after Id posted- insert foot in mouth here.

Granted the costume wording on the cover is odd, but I think I have the answer.
Have any of you read the C.S. Lewis Book "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" or have you seen the movie?
One of the main characters is a little girl named Lucy who is EVACUATED from London during the Blitz of WWII.
I would say, knowing marketing, that the company did not have the rights to call the costume Lucy's Evacuation Costume from"said Movie" so they called it a Little Girls Evacuee Costume. Sort of like saying a black robe, a wand, and a set of nerdy glasses are a wizard costume- Get the reference there?

If you look at the costume and look at the first 15-20 minutes of the movie you will see the exact same costume on Lucy as she leaves London with her brother and sister to begin her adventures in the countryside.

Costume explained-no ulterior motive here-move along nothing to see
edit on 28-10-2011 by Rossa because: spelling and I still dont think its right

BTW-Nice to see Slayer is back again
edit on 28-10-2011 by Rossa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join