It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grizzly Bear Attack? Shut him down with a telescopic baton

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rocketman7

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by Rocketman7

I wouldn't hit these guys with a crown victoria.
You crazy.

They are fat,
and they are srow.

Good Luck with that. Bears can break 30mph, and can swing with 3000+ pounds of force, combined with 6-8 inch claws.

A Saiga .308 with a 25 round mag is a great solution to any problem.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Well, then it is settled!
As long as bears are made from the same stuff that drunken, wife beating idiots are, then were in good shape!
On topic.
Seriously though OP do you get paid for clicks?
You always advertise something totally useless.
Just curious, but I would pay to see you do battle with a bear using a stick...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   

watch a few vids of a grizzly vs grizzly bear fight - and the injuries they sustain - and keep on fighting

hopefully - you will reconsider your plan to " defend " yourself with a ASP batton - if not a darwin award awaits you

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

If you think a tiny baton can take out a bear then you will definitely win the Darwin Award

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

I'm glad I avoided this thread. I live in Adelaide, South Australia. We have Drop Bears. They make Grizzlies look like childs play things. To avoid being eaten by a drop bear just smear vegemite all over you. Works every time.

Now, seriously.

We don't have Bears, but us Aussies like to think we are pretty good in the wild and I would imagine a....baton....versus a Bear.....it just ain't going to do anything. I know they can run faster. I know they are super strong and I know they can climb.

Solution. Gun. Crossbow. Bow. IF you have to run...I'd imagine maybe running in a straight line and then maybe veering off at 90 degrees every 10 seconds (I know Bears are agile but I'm not sure they can turn as quick as Humans)

Otherwise....ultimately....you are a dumbass for not taking a projectile weapon with you when going into Bear territory.

That's all I got, and thinking about it....even veering ain't probably going to do much.

I hear Red Bull gives you wings. Maybe try that.

I have a better idea. Telescopic BACON. That might work.

edit on 28-10-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Although it is against the law to carry almost anything in Canada, you can own one.

If TSHTF, then you can pull this out for personal protection including when you are hiding in the bush in Grizzly bear country.

Another good idea is to carry some bear spray repellent, as a first line of defense.

And you can get some for dogs for 8 bucks a can, bears for 28 bucks a can and up to 69 bucks a can and wear it on your belt.

You should also have one of these rechargeable air horns

at 115 db thats as loud as you need to scare away most things.

In Canada you cannot carry stun guns or things of that nature. Any other ideas for personal protection that might be legal in Canada?

Wow! That guy is really giving the baton a proper beating...
I especially admire his unfolding pose/stance, and the immense force he uses when he hits the shelf and clothes hanger.
Impressive indeed.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

looooooooooooooooool
the guy is afraid to hit the clothes hanger at full force

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I like the idea of the shock baton but, I think if I go into bear country I shall bring my 12 gauge mossberg and my 10mm Glock
. If you want to scare the bear off with loud noise, just fire a few 00 buck shots off.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Another good idea is to carry some bear spray repellent, as a first line of defense.

It's hard to get that in many Canadian cities as kids have been spraying in it schools for free days off. It happened several times here, spraying a can of bear mace into crowded school is DANGEROUS.

My friend is convinced he could take down a bear with a baseball bat. I beg to differ as a bears skull is thick enough to stop a bullet from a .45. i'm not sure how a telescope baton would handle it.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by masqua

My Dad still has an Enfield 303 that he picked up back in the 70's, still shoots straight, still functions flawlessly.
There is a reason why the gun was in British service for so long.
I took it hunting years back, it was a bit heavy but that was my only complaint, but a sling will forgive abit of heavy.

I have learned now that the OP was a joke of sorts, but to any who might consider....
A Grizzly is truly an epic sight that pictures do not justify.
They are huge they are fast and they are deadly even if you are well armed.
You would have to had seen one in person, anyone who has would probably say the same.
They are natures tanks.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Got some wake up news on the loud noise thing....dont count on it.

Stumbled onto a 400# boar black bear about 25 years ago who was having a bad day. was on a gravel road and right after i went by he walked straight out onto the road. middle of deer season. I heard the noise as he came down and advanced toward me from about 25 yards. I thought a shot would make him run. No go. as he hit the 15 yard mark i opened up into the road bed in front of him. this caused a volley of gravel to fly up and pelt him with good force. He still kept coming and i dropped the ten and put in a 30 figuring he wasnt going to stop and i was out of room for it to bleed out. in fact I never had that much room from the start. He stopped and stared as i walked backwards over the hill.

These animals have a territory they call home and they attempt to own it. I was in his home. my bad. But the bottom line is there are bears that dont scare off. I dont eat them like people i know and was also without a tag so had no intention of harming it. but trying to get the backup scare with loud noise did not work that day. the ten had 3 rounds left i found out when i got home. so 7 shots didnt scare it.

Now how do we see this baton show? i mean do we know a friend of a friend and they bring us? I will buy the tickets and beer.
edit on 28-10-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Only way I would challenge a Grizzly Bear and feel safe about it, would be if I had a Tactical Bear Suit.
Like the one below.

images.costume.net...

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by LiberalSceptic

I dunno Bro!
Impressive as that suit is, even if you added ten inches of padding and steel and kevlar and wizards and ...Etc.
I'd still hate to be the thing that pissed off a Grizzly.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The first time I saw this I read it as "Bear Grylls attack? Shut him down with a telescopic baton".

lol. Been a long day already, and it's only just past noon here.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Although it is against the law to carry almost anything in Canada, you can own one.

If TSHTF, then you can pull this out for personal protection including when you are hiding in the bush in Grizzly bear country.

And you can get some for dogs for 8 bucks a can, bears for 28 bucks a can and up to 69 bucks a can and wear it on your belt.

In Canada you cannot carry stun guns or things of that nature. Any other ideas for personal protection that might be legal in Canada?

THAT GUY IS AN ASSASIN!!!
Wow look out for his death punch
That is some power.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Seriously, their claws are most impressive!
I do not think even Mr Potter himself can protect against a punch with them included.

blogs.wvgazette.com...
edit on 28-10-2011 by LiberalSceptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
I'll take his word for it.. who am I to try and prove him wrong.
ASP type batons are definitely deadly, and can break bones and put large attackers to sleep.

But I just have this mental image of a 2000lb grizzly looking amazed that a 150lb hiker would have the sack to hit him with a baton.

I guess hitting a Grizzly with a collapsable baton could save your life.. if the bear thinks you are tainted with a brain infection.

This is like the "slow friend" bear defense system.
"you don't have to outrun the bear.. just out run the slow friend".

Wanna go hiking?

I suppose the bear could see the baton and just roll over and die laughing...
Alaskan fishing guides carry 12ga pump shotguns with slugs and or the ever popular marlin lever action .45-70 "guide gun".
I'm a "gun guy"; but I understand studies backup the effectiveness of industrial strength bear spray over the firearm.
How do you know you are in the grizzlies' home territory?
The bear poop piles contain buttons and zippers( and bear bells) and smell like pepper spray!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Can you have Bows or Crossbows in Canada? You wouldn't even have time to bring the baton to bear , no pun intended. I prefer 40 S&W as a carry gun, it's loaded with 165 grain Golden Sabers, which is apparently powerful enough to kill a hog, I'm pretty sure it would just really piss off the Bear there would probably be more of a chance of the noise scaring him than the bullets. I'd forget about the Baton and stick with an air horn and the mace.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by paratus

THAT GUY IS AN ASSASIN!!!
Wow look out for his death punch
That is some power.

He could chop wood with that thing.

I think that was the point he was trying t o make.
Or something.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
reply to post by grey580

Well, then it is settled!
As long as bears are made from the same stuff that drunken, wife beating idiots are, then were in good shape!
On topic.
Seriously though OP do you get paid for clicks?
You always advertise something totally useless.
Just curious, but I would pay to see you do battle with a bear using a stick...

Well lest we forget our ancestors with little more than pointy sticks, fended off cave bears, while wearing no underwear.

Thats whats wrong with people today. They have become soft. And weak.

hat

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join