It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could someone help me with my 1997 dodge dakota problem?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
my ford was doing exactly the same thing. the codes all pointed it to be faulty O2 sensors, which depending how many need to be changed, can get expensive. while I stood by the engine I swore I heard some hissing and checked the vac lines, and sure enough there was substantial dry-rot on one of the hoses. autozone gave me free lengths of hose and I superglued them together, reset the battery, and no problems. total cost $2.98 (new pcv valve)
edit on 27-10-2011 by wingsfan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
You said the oxygen sensor code came up, that's where I'd start.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by demonologist842012

I agree with what SB420 says. Worth taking note that original equipment oil pressure gauges are not accurate. This is an electrically operated gauge from a sensor, not one with an oil feed pipe and a diaphram gauge. It is dependant on the sensor being in good shape, and the correct system voltage, so maybe check the voltage, and the Alternator, and try a new sensor. Also as the truck is no spring chicken, check all the electric connections especially the battery ground connection is good and not corroded, and the same for the engine ground wire. Take them off and clean up the connecting surfaces. Also check the main battery live connections, taking care not to short it out !
The fault code showing for for the O2 sensor means something is wrong, but it doesn't tell us what. These sensors can get dirty or just screw up after a lot of miles, the connector can get dirty, fall to bits, or a wire can short or become corroded.
Your truck is not burning oil makes no smoke and no loud noises so that is good so don't despair, most faults are simple ones, but sometimes the little f&*#%#* gremlins make more than one glitch at a time !
Good luck.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I had a Dakota, though with a V8 that exhibited the same symptoms. It was the O2 sensor and EGR combined. But I have to tell you, the V6 sucks. It has many problems and they get worse with age.

Might be time to get rid of it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

are you also getting a rotten egg smell?
if so, it could be a catalytic converter.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by rangersdad

Hmm,a faulty cat couldnt cause these faults,but a sensor located at the cat could,modern engine management systems requireevery sensor to spit the truth,injectors open and close within thousandths of a second,everythingmust happen at exactly the right point,il state for the record i tend not to dealwith electrical management systems on a daily basis,being more of a points and pushrod tyeof guy myself,but if a diagnostic tool indicates an o2sensor fault then it is only going to manifest itselfsomewhere between the sensor itself and its path to the engine management computer,always start of with the cheap diagnosis then work up to other possibilities!

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Sounds like you have a bad flux capacitor there.
Good luck finding a working replacement for it.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

I was thinking that if the catalytic converter is clogged up then it would
affect the oxygen mixture in the engine and that might be the cause of a
faulty O2 sensor. Just trying to think out of the box here.

I have a '95 dakota and the cat went out and it would barely move.

posted on Oct, 27 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

you need to use a real pressure gauge installed on the engine to verify real oil pressure, you may need a new oil pump or it may be something blocking flow, bad filter/bypass sticking. Gauge will tell, just cranking you should see pressure, if not do not start engine.if you have pressure and it drops suddenly, time to check pump, oil pickup and its drive, a broken or loose pickup can cause the pump to suck air.Hope this helps.

If check engine light is on, check that first and read the code, if not go old school by threading a real oil gauge in and testing.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Exactly what code are you getting?
I see there are several codes dealing with the O2 sensor online.

I remember I disconnected the O2 sensor on a car I had one time and the damn thing refused to run at all.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by rangersdad
reply to post by ScottishBiker420

I was thinking that if the catalytic converter is clogged up then it would
affect the oxygen mixture in the engine and that might be the cause of a
faulty O2 sensor. Just trying to think out of the box here.

I have a '95 dakota and the cat went out and it would barely move.

Ahh yes,if the sensor was downwind from the cat,but some have a egt sensor before the cat on the collector box,i gues any of us are useless until you have the machine infront of you.

posted on Jun, 23 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to: ScottishBiker420

I have a 97 dodge dakota v6 3.9 and have been dealing with alot of issues, regaurding my truck as it hapoens I smell petrol (gas to us folks lol) in my oil. How do I fix this and if possible answer other questions for me?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join