It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Backwards Time Travel is highly improbable

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by moebius
As a more concrete example, lets say you had a hypothetical door which would conserve the space-time on the other side(attach itself to a certain space-time position) as soon as it is activated. The door itself would be moving with the earth, solar system and our galaxy. But you would still be able to travel to the moment it was activated by going through this door.

However I doubt your gateway would anchor its position in time, only space. Meaning if you made a device that worked in this manner, it would only serve as an instant traveling device, moving through space instantly, it wouldn't be capable of providing travel backwards in time.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

However I doubt your gateway would anchor its position in time, only space

Look here: en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by moebius

So based on that given information, it would involve using a gateway as previously said. So let's say you have your gateway anchored to time and space so that you have a set location every time and can adjust the time accordingly.

Then what do you do about the issue of simultaneous usage? Say that one person decides to go back in time, then someone farther in the future decides to go back into time at the same moment, wouldn't that cause issues with arrival on the other side?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Nice catch. This excludes fixed space-time. But fixed time difference is still possible. Like in the wiki article. You would travel back by the time difference between the wormhole ends.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Any reasonable time machine would take incremental jumps and then course correct. So if in every second you could jump an hour or so, you could probably predict fairly accurately the spatial component.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Reply to post by new_here

I just don't understand how you'd be able to go "there", assuning by "there" we both mean Earth.

How can planet Earth be "there".. If it's really here? Even if we're talking about a seperate timeline, or are you saying a brand new "universe" would pop out of nowhere upon travelling back in space?.. And have all the same things as this universe, but somehow different?

Just like my 4 year old self doesn't actually exist anywhere but here and now. I didn't shed any skins and leave her behind..

My brain also hurts

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Time actually has 2 definitions in science. One is Einstein's Theory of Relativity, where time is like a river. The other theory comes from Quantum Physics, that the past, present, and future are all happening at once, but to the observer we only observe the present.

This is really out there, so bare with me....

Say we discover some type of anti particle that is some type of anti-reflection to light. We discover that light has anti particles that reflect it's past.

This discovery would cause us to reevaluate the Universe, because the light we see all around us also shares an anti light.

As we move in time going forward from the present to the future, the anti light moves from the present to the past going forward.

If we can travel forward in time in that anti light dimension, then we would move forward into the past.

If you want to move forward into the future, you need to get out of the anti light and back into regular light.

In other words as we look up at the stars and see the light coming towards us....there is also anti light going away from us...

edit on 12-10-2011 by game over man because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
if you went back in time say...10 minuits,wouldnt you see yourself?and if so every 10 minuits another copy of yourself would appear wouldn't it?over time you might overpopulate the planet with yourself and you couldn't touch yourself because i dont think 2 times could occupy the same space im led to believe,doc brown from back to the future says it will cause a paradox in the space time continuum lol. just a thought

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Well here I write the different methods of time travel which I personally think could occur..: www.abovetopsecret.com...

We're speaking of moving back location wise as well. Hmm..what is space-time could be evolved though? I'm hearings talks of phase space lately and grains..that could make all the difference...

We don't have a arrow of time (through Einstein's relativity) but when we look at the universe..we do. It's forward but why, when it could be forwards or backwards?

Science poses us some interesting questions.
edit on 12-10-2011 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

as I said in other post in 12/2010 here is what I think :
for travelling in time you need to travel in SPACE also !!! so, wanting to go back in 1789 for French Revolution ?? ticket to the past ?? ok you need to go back in time of course but also go back in space, which means you have to go back to where earth was in space in 1789 .... earth is turning around the sun, the sun is turning around in Galaxy, space is expanding, how could you go back to where earth was ( and the sun was ... and all the stars were ) ?? impossible of course !
tell me please ! you will have to place, puzzle, all the infinite numbers of atoms of the whole Universe back into their place they were in in 1789 !! otherwise you never will have the same surroundings back as they were in 1789 !!
Same for travelling into the future, let's say 21/12/2012 : you need to go to a place where earth shall be at that date in space, with all photons and neutrinos and electrons and protons in place, with the moving sun and moon in place, just like it has to be on 21/12/2012 - but at what time you will arrive ? sun up or sun down ? it's like a theatre, you will have to put everything in place for when you arrive on stage

The only thing that could be done, I think, is travel into parallel Universes where other beings maybe live ( spirits for us ... ) but travel in time, no man, no way !!
I am not the only one thinking that way of course !
peace to all wanting to travel NOW, it is NOW that things happen !!

Maybe also a way to travel " in time " like they call it, is to try to travel INTO MEMORIES you have in your brain, take some grass, or some '___' ( I never took !! ) and I am sure you will remember lots of things from the past !!!
Like in a NDE, where you can remember your whole life in one big hurry flash !!!

now if time doesn't exist at all as some do think and there is only the NOW moment, then past present and futur do not exist of course and it's all an illusion to think we move into space and time ...
the whole universe in fact then is only the NOW, the big bang is the same as the big crunch and everything happening and moving between is just illusion ... this is only possible in a infinite life as a spirit ( ? ) where time does not exist and we are not bound by " matter " and " body " - they are illusions also because matter does NOT exist, it's all about ENERGY levels, condensed or not and everybody knows energy is infinite, can change into other forms of energy but never free energy from nothing.
so we have to try to understand how we can be at all times/spaces in one NOW-moment ....

edit on 12-10-2011 by Sunlionspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

think about it like with a film : there is a start and an END and if you want to go back to the beginning well you can go back, if you want to go in the middle of the story well you can go to it .... everything is written on the DVD film and that is why I think life is just a big holographic scene where the story is already written, you did choose the script, everything has been put into the machine
( like a fantastic quantum computer with a life program in 4 dimensions ) and life begins .... when you die you see the whole story at once in your spirit because it was all written down from the beginning ... and when you are born into that story you forget all about that, because you must try to become better and influence the program - a bit like a big flight simulator ...
so in this case time travel is possible, remote control into the machine ... only after death ?

so we live like Socrates said in a cave, a holographic cave .... where we see the shadows around us but reality is outside the cave and we are only playing into a holographic theatre .... with just our brains to visualise the energy fields around, to hear sounds, but we are alone, each one of us into his scenario, into his flight simulator for life ..... for a higher intelligence it must not be difficult at all to have/create a holographic quantum computer that can simulate a lifetime with all necessary things around the person ....
when we die, we get out of that "lifegame" and see the" real reality" which is just all energy and brightfull and full of consciousness, where we meet the very real other persons that were present in our "lifegame on earth stage" to play their role in our lifes ....

edit on 12-10-2011 by Sunlionspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I've noticed alot of people talking about alternate realities and whatnot. I'd like to remind everyone the purpose of this thread is to determine how you would be capable of achieving a position backwards in time to appear at, seeing as how Earth is constantly moving relative to everything else, it wouldn't be in the same space 1 year ago as it is now.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I am not sure if there is any way to locate your exact position for the "now" setting to base the "then" setting off of, relative to the rest of the universe. All measurements of the locations of the objects outside of our solar system have been made based upon the assumption that lightspeed in a vacuum travels at a constant speed. Even though no measurements have ever been done from outside our suns sphere of influence. Our fastest space probes will have to travel longer than our cumulative lifetimes to see the edge of the Oort Cloud.

Truth be known....we just don't have any factual basis of how the rest of the universe works. Just some guesses and conjecture which can never be proven until we actually "go" there.

An atomic clock (9,192,631,770 cycles per second) can pretty much guarantee the accuracy of "when", but the accuracy of "where" is far beyond our knowledge now

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Is the Universe really expanding?

I've been thinking about your question, and the Big Bang Theory, our current Universe we observe is expanding. If we go back in time, we would be going back to a "smaller" Universe. Things would be tighter together.

Also isn't everything relative? Haven't we been observing the same stars and celestial objects for centuries? So it would be pretty easy to find Earth, since it would be at a relative distance to the stars you can observe from Earth.

In fact while writing this, I was reminded, I just recently saw a video on Ancient Egypt and the Pyramids at Giza, it might of been National Geographic or something called How the Ancients built it, or Ancient Technology, something like that. They were able to determine/hypothesize the exact alignment of the stars the Egyptians would be observing while constructing. Basically would be the Earth's position in the Universe.

So the question you pose has probably already been done all over the world, at all the ancient sites, because most of the ancient sites, point to the stars.

You can use the date of construction, and observe the alignment today and make your measurements.

Therefore in your time machine you would make the necessary calculations to arrive to Earth, safely.

Astronauts have to make careful calculations when going into space, exiting and entering our atmosphere, the forces of gravity, etc.. We have executed many missions, nearly all successful. Why would space flight during time travel all of a sudden be such a hurdle? The real hurdle is figuring out how to time travel!

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Very valid speculation OP and aligns with my thoughts on the hazards of time travel. Just a 1 second time displacement would put you at either an altitude where you'd fall to your death or bury you very deep underground, depending on whether you were on the 'leading' or 'trailing' edge of the earth's motion at the the time you 'jumped' in time. As stated earlier by another astute poster, we can see the past but can't interact with it so possible paradoxes are nothing to worry about. The future is out of reach simply because it hasn't happened yet.

I'm something of a time traveller myself, having transported myself over 60 years into the future so far but I did it the natural way

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   
i think you are all over complicating this. If you think of time as a dimension, we are already, all of us, travelling though it at 1 second per second, and all of the other dimensions hold true. We can still walk about, and gravity still holds us to the floor. Why do you suppose that if we get into a machine that can travel through time at a rate different to forwards at 1s/s that the other dimensions will stop having an effect on you?

it's my opinion that you'd still get pulled by gravity towards the earth, and you could still move 'forwards' and 'backwards' in the machine in your garage. I don't think that just because you're travelling 'in time' that you suddenly lose the ability to be affected by other stuff. For example, your mass hasn't changed, your volume hasn't changed, so I think unless you have propulsion, you just sit in the same place (relative to the thing holding you there in the first place - the earth).

of course it depends on how your time machine actually works - which of course we don't know.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by CrastneyJPR

But you'd be removing your mass and the mass of your machine with all its contents from this time reality to another so you'd have to be breaking the shackles that hold you in this time and space to do so. Instantaneous relocation of mass is likely to have some severe drawbacks unless you're depending on the diversity of widespread time 'jumping' to maintain something like a static amount of mass in all timeframes at all times. Brings me to the conclusion that the only time actually existing is the present.

All fun to think about but the practicalities are overwhelming.

posted on Oct, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just a thought, but maybe transfering our physical "self " is were the conflict arrises.
Our thoughts are what we are trying to repeat in a way, (back to an earlier time in our life) and our thoughts are what we will use as reference to acknowledge that we have indeed succeeded getting there.
We are our own " mental time machines " and can only go back as far as the day we were born.
We can only revisit what was somehow recorded, to assume that all of time has been recorded for future "playback" is not logical. I am a strong believer that we can acheive traveling back in time "mentally" but it shall not happen physically.

posted on Oct, 15 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by atser

This is in my line aswell...
The physical body cant be removed from time. Placed in another
"time"..
But maybe your mind can. Maybe you can vision the time like
a movie, or a daydream perhaps.
I mean that is what you do when you try to "recolect"(spell??)
something that has happend in the past.
Maybe you can exercise this and become better at it. Giving
you the abillity to vision farther away from your "own" time.
Seeing history as it was...

Go back and "see" Jesus.
Who did the paintings in the cave in France..
Who really killed JFK...

Now as your physical body isnt there. You cant prevent
or change anything...But you would know...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Great statement " Now as your physical body isnt there. You cant prevent
or change anything...But you would know..." . I agree, past is as many say "past" . no changing now to late.
But the future is free game!.

I have a theory of how to see into the future Mentally but not physically.
the advantage of this is you can actually change things .
The future can now be changed through pre planning.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join