It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Backwards Time Travel is highly improbable

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by malcr

Hence why I said you would require an established gateway before you could go backwards, so you would end up at the same location. However thinking more on this i am finding using this method would only ensure an instant movement across any distance, not moving backwards into time.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Traveling back in time is MUCH more plausable than traveling to the future. Seeing how the future has even happened yet, or should I say "assume"?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Yes i do think you need a gateway, we already have gateways we have been using them for thousands of years, the most common example would be a door, which makes it easier to change rooms than say aligning all your atoms in your body with the wall and walking through it.

How you would make a time gateway i have no idea, but the idea of time travel does fascinate me, with all the paradoxes it may produce.
edit on 10-10-2011 by bhaal because: spelling

edit on 10-10-2011 by bhaal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

Actually traveling to the future is way easier.

You use a craft that can travel at near the speed of light. You travel 1 light year away from the earth and then back. Even though it was almost instantly to you, relative time on earth was the same and your travel has taken thousands and thousands of years.

you are now in the future.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I love to think about time travel and the strange implications there of. Though the idea is far fetched or at least far beyond our current reach it is fascination none the less.

As for the issue of earth moving through space for time travel. The solution to this apparent problem is quite simple. Backwards time travel as described by Ron Mallet and others, states that backwards time travel only works up to the point of the initial activation of the time machine.

So we turn on the machine today we can never go back further than that moment. The wormhole through space time (or whatever other exotic mechanism that allows time travel) moves through space time with the machine. You don't have to worry about the earths location because the machine moves with it. The opening of said wormhole is not stationary. Therefor you do not have to worry about where it originated.

The hole travels with the earth so you come out at the machine not the machines original position.

All fun speculation. And that is all it is. . . Speculation

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Nice thinking vortiki this is not something i have heard before

The original HG wells time machine created a bubble which im assuming didn't move through the 3 dimensions as it traveled through time and time travel like that would be impossible because of the constant movement of the universe. If you think about it the earth rotates at 1674 KM/h so just going forward or backwards a few mins would physically shift you long distance from where you started.

but if you created a time wormhole using 2 machines then there wouldnt be a big problem with materializing inside a wall or in rock or even in mid air. except that you couldnt go backwards at all. At least no further than the time you first switched on the machine.

edit on 10-10-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by chrismicha77
Traveling back in time is MUCH more plausable than traveling to the future. Seeing how the future has even happened yet, or should I say "assume"?

I think the biggest problem is that the further you get away from "now," no matter which direction you move in time, the more reality degenerates into a fuzzy gray cloud of probabilities.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Technically, you've aged just much slower than people on Earth. Also, when you got back, there would be no future you, so you took the fun out of it. But I like your thinking!

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Why would there ever be a future you if you left and went to the future? You are the future you because the past you would be traveling through time until the point you arrived the future.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

Its simple we are going backwards in time Since the energy here is being sucked back from where it came

What we see understand to be the forward motion of time is in fact the draining of energy from use back the inside

We may observe the forward progression of time through living thinking that from birth thru life onto death which the stars, planets and trees, to animals, bug and microbes plus are own life and the lives of others time appears to move forward but it is not time is moving back from where it came
the energy and matter visible just what is being conserved in the most efficient way possible

Life is the white dot in the black half of the yin and yang it works against time and the motion of energy to low pressure from high pressure place the source or singularity the all from which everything came from and going back to within itself everything here is a ring being pulled inside out through the gravitational force the 3 other forces with the Strong nuclear weak nuclear electromagnetic which rule and conserve energy begetting more live by taking matters mass or energy and arranging it make it last against gravity/time that can only overcome and become a singularity with enough mass for it to over power the 3 forces that are a product of as well as the but fight against gravity and give rise to new life in this a dying place where time judges all.

In mythological term Cronus (Father of Time/meaning father of Gravity) had 3 sons who fought him imprisoning Cronus(Time/Gavity) in Tartarus.
Zeus the "Father of men and King of the Gods and "(Electro-magnet force)s Poseidon” God of the Sea”(Weak Nuclear Force) and Hades “Lord of the Underworld”(Strong Nuclear Force)

Each is important to giving birth to life as they are the forces that conserve and slow the lose of every bit of energy being taken back to create something new starting is over again

All is one;One is all, One is the same as two Different
edit on 10-10-2011 by IblisLucifer because: stupid do dumb

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by IblisLucifer
reply to post by Vortiki
Life is the white dot in the black half of the yin and yang it works against time and the backward motion of energy to the source or singularity which is pulling all matter through gravitational force that can overcome the 3 other forces the Strong nuclear weak nuclear electromagnetic is their is enough mass for it to over power the 3 forces that fight gravity and give rise to life in this a dying place.

What?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Vortiki

But you can use the same concept of moving only in one dimension.. the time dimension.. and have your time machine orbiting earth, right?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I agree. I thought of exactly this when I was about ten years old. Time travel would be impossible, forward or backward, because of the rate everything is moving. The surface of the Earth rotates at over a thousand miles an hour. If you moved even a few seconds in time you would be instantly splattered up against trees or buildings at the very least. Add in the motion of the Earth around the Sun, and the entire solar system's motion relative to the galaxy, and the galaxy's rotation as well as forward motion, and, well, you get it.

I also had thought of flying off the Earth in a spaceship, then time traveling, but then, like you said, it would be difficult to even find the Earth again.

Hopefully someone will figure this out someday, but I'm not holding my breath. Then there's the whole killing your grandparents thing to consider, and all the other paradoxes that would spring up.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vortiki

Actually traveling to the future is way easier.

You use a craft that can travel at near the speed of light. You travel 1 light year away from the earth and then back. Even though it was almost instantly to you, relative time on earth was the same and your travel has taken thousands and thousands of years.

you are now in the future.
Yes, we know how to travel into the future but not into the past.

However we can SEE into the past, we just can't go there. Just look up at the night sky, you're looking onto the past. The sun is 8 minutes into the past, and our nearest major galaxy is Andromeda, 2 million years into the past. Just think, humans didn't even exist when the light you see from the nearest galaxy reaches us. So you are looking pretty fat into the past.

I think the OP makes a valid point. Hollywood movie makers don't have to worry about details like that when they make their time travel movies. Unfortunately, in real life, the details like that matter.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

You can never go backwards in time you already are SO
All, one can do is speed themselves making time faster for them or slow themselves down making time faster for everything else

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away
Reply to post by Vortiki

But, and maybe this is where I'm having trouble understanding...

Where is "there"?

The answer to that depends on a specific instant in time. With everything in the Cosmos in transit, nothing ever remains at the exact same location point in space. Ever. It's all hurling, twirling, zinging along in relation to each other. Knowing the "where" depends on knowing the "when" and vice-versa. I've lately wondered, if I could magically go to a specific location in space that I once occupied while living my life on this hurling globe-- a specific location that both me and my Mama Earth 'left behind' as we catapulted thru space-- if I could get to a previous location point... would I essentially re-live the moment?

My brain hurts now. Peace and Love to all...

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by worlds_away
I, rightly or wrongly, can’t seem to separate time and location in my brain.

Say I travel back in time to 1990. I’m 4 years old at that time.

I (that exact same 4 year old girl) am now 24. traveling back in time to 1990. But where? 1990, when you think about it, doesn’t describe anything.

1990 is a made up number to differentiate between years. It isn’t the whole part of the equation. We need location.

If my 24 year old self travels back to 1990... I am already there... As a 4 year old girl. Not just stuck in “time” somewhere, but actually at a specific location doing something that is in the past. I cannot go back and interact with my 4 year old self unless I already did. Which I couldn’t have done.. because I wasn’t a 24 year old yet, with some idea to go visit my 4 year old self.

In essence, I agree with you. I think backwards time travel is born from science fiction and a desire to go back and change something we did or didn’t do... In a word, regret.

ETA: I used the classic meeting yourself example because it was easy. But you could really use any event or situation.
edit on 10-10-2011 by worlds_away because: (no reason given)

ETA: now tell me why I’m wrong

edit on 10-10-2011 by worlds_away because: (no reason given)

What if when you travelled back in time you did not travel back in your time, but rather an alternative timeline. Thus you are not actually meeting yourself, it is not actually you. The future in that timeline would be altered, but your timeline would be intact.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I've posted something simmilar a while back here but unfortunately it didn't get that much attention due to trolls and kids.

Its nice to see someone with the same concept

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Actually it would work without problems if your time machine was a path connecting a certain space-time position with another, whereby the position would be constant relative to a known reference frame(Earth,North America,New York,...). Some people might call it a wormhole.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
As a more concrete example, lets say you had a hypothetical door which would conserve the space-time on the other side(attach itself to a certain space-time position) as soon as it is activated. The door itself would be moving with the earth, solar system and our galaxy. But you would still be able to travel to the moment it was activated by going through this door.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join