It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Three Biggest Problems With Todays Modern Society

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
far away from the quiet solitude and tranquility of the countryside, living in harmony with nature and what is really real. we instead exist piled on top of eachother, with not enough time, to look into eachothers hearts and eyes. as millions upon millions endure the claustrophobia inducing, rat race hell of modern city living and how it has the potential to crush any shred of individuality one may still possess...

consumerism and the artificial stimulation of the desire for temporary material goods. which produces the need for more and more money and less and less time for eachother. marriage decreases, divorce increases. true love has become a thing of the past and our children are raised by strangers. this domination and control, this possessed by money mentality, creates totally unnecessary competition and class seperation. resulting in the escalation of crime and deceit to obtain the illusion of manufactured objects. that ultimately, only produces more wealth and comfort for the rich elite and more misery and financial desperation for the ordinary masses of people. who have been blinded and led astray from within, perpetually living on the edge of homelessness and ruin and made to face it on a daily basis. we have been turned into "expendable commodities", "workers and slaves", "taxed robots" and thousands of people commit suicide every single day, only to become another ignored statistic...

society thrives on violence, destruction and death. no matter how hard we try to deny the fact, or hide it with immaculately clean offices, the worship of modern science, or the creation of martyrs. from the blood soaked boxing ring. within the minds of the crowds of thoughtless observers at car crashes and murder scenes. to the instant annihilation of the nuclear arena and the hell bent for mega death arms race which produced it. we are intelligent human animals, lying to ourselves and eachother, behind a thin veneer of civility and care...
edit on 19-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Damn things like the computer you're using. I bet you use heathenish things like air conditioning and refrigeration, *gasp*

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The further we get away from nature the more violent and out of harmony we will become.

However, I beleive it is in our nature to be violent, and selfish.

Our desire for power, ease of living, and instant gratification is a game that results in war, unrest, and social-political strife.

My advice is to try your very best to retain peace in your heart, and seperate yourself from those who would use you or hurt you.

Fill your life with people who are like minded, and full of joy.

Attract love into your life, by putting out love. Remember that we are all in this together. Maybe some of the people who are out of harmony only need a reminder that there is still kindness in the world. Maybe then they can take your example and apply it to their life.

Don't worry my friend. Things are as they should be. Things have a way of working out.

Let the light guide you, and remember your peace of heart.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
1. What about the many people who love the big city?
I myself would never want to live in one. But there are many do. I'd say the majority like living in the city. Is it very bad to be apart from nature that long? Probably. But saying urban conditions are a problem with society, without giving a viable alternative, isn't productive at all.
2. agree with you here.
3. agree with you here...but changing human nature isn't very easy. If you think our sports are bad, just look back to the Roman Coliseum. Or all of the human sacrifices. You know people enjoyed watching those.

I think everyone knows the problems you state. Without giving viable solutions, you really aren't doing much but stating the obvious.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
You're going to get a lot of smart aleck trolls for this, I'm sure, OP, but I believe that you have a good point. Greed, violence, human innovation...these things are natural.

The problem is that we as a species have let them run rampant, cloud our judgment, and possibly put us on the path to extinction.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I love these kinds of posts.

So at what point does technology become "evil" and the reason for everything bad?

Electronics? Atomic discovery? Electricity? Steam power? Metallurgy? Basic mechanics? Clothing? Primitive tools?
Fire?

At what point in your infinite wisdom OP, does technology become the bane of all existence?

Quite frankly, unless you are living in cave, naked, hunting and gathering by hand with no fire, you are being a hypocrite. From the first club and the use of skins for clothing, mankind was using technology. The use of anything above what the next highest order of animal (chimps, orangutangs, etc.) uses would constitute technology.

I always have a laugh at the folks that claim that technology and science are what is destroying us, yet use a computer, network, and internet, all that require electricity, to post on a website that the very technology they are using is evil.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I stand by this

But seriously, all you have to do is look at the youth of today to realize how modern society is #ed

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Canned2na

So now Video games are the reason for everything bad?

You do realize the the PC game industry is the force that really pushed computer technology where it is today?

Does the average business computer need a quad (now 6 core) processor, with a video processor capable of billions of texture fills per second? Of course not, but video games sure do.

But, lets blame video games instead of the bad parenting that is happening in today's world. Children of horrible parents, go on to be even worse parents whose children go on to be even worse parents. Though this does not happen EVERY time, it certainly happens enough for us to see the results in children today.

I guess blaming an inanimate object is easy, as we can ban, regulate and make the object evil, that is much easier than looking within ourselves and finding the true issue.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Canned2na

you reaise that previous genrations condemmed :

flappers

zoot suits

motown

hippies

mods

rockers

punks

disco

etc etc

as the progenitors of the collose of civilisation

hey we are still here - and will survive " video gamers "

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamwatcher

I always have a laugh at the folks that claim that technology and science are what is destroying us, yet use a computer, network, and internet, all that require electricity, to post on a website that the very technology they are using is evil.

Ever heard of the expression, "If you can't beat them, join them."
Technology limits your freedoms. It is the single greatest destroyer of freedom.
Even the car....remember now you can't walk across the street whenever you want to.
Computer...well now you are forced to use email. There's no escaping using email. Just one example of how computers limit freedom.

you ask a question and then answer it yourself...it stops at electricity. Once you start using electricity, it begins to severely limit your freedom, and cause serious damage to the planet and our environment. People could cut down trees back in the day...but it is infinitely worse now that we have electricity.

However, I'm a severe hypocrite when it comes to electricity.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Canned2na
I stand by this

But seriously, all you have to do is look at the youth of today to realize how modern society is #ed

You realize that that is what your parents said about your generation, right?
It's probably more true today, but they still said it about you.
That's the thing about the youth, they grow up.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

If electricity was never discovered, we would be driving steam powered cars and shoving coal into a burner to create the steam.

Instead of electrical power lines, we would all have pressurized steam and natural gas pumped to our houses.

All industry would have a few to MANY steam boilers in their plant, all burning coal or natural gas. You think there is a problem with burning coal for electricity now? Imagine every business with a coal or gas burner.

Think you need electricity for computers? Think again. The first computers were mechanical. It would be possible to have a steam powered mechanical computer. Could you imagine a network based on pressured steam? One could also imagine a network based on light using a mechanical system to encode it.

My point is, technology is not the problem, In fact if you think about it, technology is the only thing that can defend this planet from a global extinction event such as a meter hitting the planet.

Again, you are looking for an inanimate object to blame mankind's ills on, it is easy because one can ban, regulate or otherwise manipulate an object easily.

The much harder task of looking within ourselves to discover and fix the ills of today's society appears to be to much to ask for.

After all you can use a hammer to build housing for the poor, to build a barn for a farm, to repair a shoe etc., or you could use said hammer to bash a persons skull in.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamwatcher
I love these kinds of posts.

So at what point does technology become "evil" and the reason for everything bad?

Electronics? Atomic discovery? Electricity? Steam power? Metallurgy? Basic mechanics? Clothing? Primitive tools?
Fire?

At what point in your infinite wisdom OP, does technology become the bane of all existence?

Quite frankly, unless you are living in cave, naked, hunting and gathering by hand with no fire, you are being a hypocrite. From the first club and the use of skins for clothing, mankind was using technology. The use of anything above what the next highest order of animal (chimps, orangutangs, etc.) uses would constitute technology.

...the more technologically advanced we become,the closer we are to our own destruction...
look at how people lived in the 1800's, a trip to the store was an all day family event! now its jump in the car,get out of my way,i'll be right back...when actually, they are going nowhere, really fast...we are racing towards our own extinction,singing,laughing and dancing every sad and sorry step of the way...and ultimately we do deserve it, because of the cold hearted, self centered, ruthless, egotistical, i,me,mine, society that we have turned into...
edit on 19-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
The further we get away from nature the more violent and out of harmony we will become.

However, I beleive it is in our nature to be violent, and selfish.

Are you aware of the big "back to nature" and holsum living movement that took place in Germany before WWII?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
...the more technologically advanced we become,the closer we are to our own destruction...

Yea back in the old days it would have taken to long to beat each other to death with clubs and swords.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
everything is connected now. when something really bad happens on the other side of the world, everyone is affected and just a couple of generations ago, that just was'nt the case...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I would like to post a question you enjoy posting on other threads...."Where's the proof God exists...?...
even though your thread is not about that....but you love to post it regularly.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
the native americans lived across the north american continent for a helluva lot longer that we've been here. the united states has been a country for about 230 years,thats it! and look what we've done to it! the indians were here for thousands of years and they "lived in harmony with nature","not at war with nature" like we are and the indians had, "no jail" ! "no poor house" ! "no money" ! "no bible"! they did'nt even have a word for stealing! and we all know what happened to them when they got in the way of our "so called progress" < sad is'nt the word for it, its a complete and utter disgrace!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Dreamwatcher

I almost forgot about Diesel engines. There basic design requires no electricity run. The fuel/air mix is ignited by the heat of compression vs an electrical spark in a gasoline engine The first engines and quite honestly for a long time after, diesel engines were completely mechanical.

Fuel pump, and injectors were mechanical. Hand crank or more commonly compressed air was used to start the engines.

So forget the steam car idea, we would be driving Diesel powered vehicles.
Diesel engines would probably take the place of many steam boilers, so maybe the coal pollution would not be so bad. Just as long as we still use clean Diesel technologies.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
heres the question...did the tycoons and industrialists of the late 1800's and early 1900's, build all these machines and gadgets to help us?...or so they could get mega rich?...i think we all know the answer...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join