It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefox Flash and YouTube downloader: What is the best add-on?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I have upgraded to FireFox 6. Does anyone know what the best add-on is for downloading flash, YouTube and the like. It would be great if the add-on could work on any embedded video.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
DownloadHelper I find to be a very handy tool for downloading most embedded videos in Firefox:
DownloadHelper
edit on 25-8-2011 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimander

I use netvideohunter. Never had a problem with it. And it has never made my browser hang like others I have tried.

netvideohunter.com...

OiO

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
real player hands down ...

simply glide your mouse over the video and it says "download this video"?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I use download helper for firefox, easy to use even for me

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Download Helper works well but I prefer Flash Video Downloader works with embedded vids too.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by puzzlesphere
DownloadHelper I find to be a very handy tool for downloading most embedded videos in Firefox:
DownloadHelper
edit on 25-8-2011 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)
I don't think this one is compatible with FF v6.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Just downloaded and tried it with FF6. It definitely isn't working. Neither is the YinyEye add-on or webmail notifier.

I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered upgrading to V6 now! Most irritating. HOw do I go back to version 5 without uninstalling everything and losing all my add-ons and settings?

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
You don't have to downgrade, use Flash Video Downloader and another poster recommended. It is an add-on hosted by Mozilla. I have been it for years and have never had a problem with it. The current version does have an annoying pop-up(non-spyware) pointing to the download arrow to remind you that its there. I am currently using it installed on FireFox 6 with no trouble.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by yizzel
reply to post by wiandiii

Thanks guys. I downloaded Flash Video Downloader and it's working perfectly with FF6. Shame about webmail notifier and wot not but I can live with that.

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I use Fast Video Download. If it doesn't work on your version of Firefox download the Mozilla extension "Add-on Compatibility reporter". This will allow you to enable add-ons/extensions in any of their browsers.

For FVD there is also the option to have an icon that flashes in the status bar (towards the bottom right gold/blue). This was removed in FF 4- 6 but can be re-enabled (the status bar) using "Status-4-Evar" by Sparky Bluefang.

That is about all you need, but eventually all of these addons/extensions will slow the hell out of Firefox, so use it as your customizable browser/hacking browser. For general browsing use chrome or IE that you haven't overloaded with helpful tools (because general browsing needs no tools).

I love firefox and all the things you can do with it. Even though I have 10+ extensions, I still only use FF for browsing. I only use other browsers when forced to.

links:
Add-on compatibility reporter:
addons.mozilla.org...

FVD:
www.applian.com...

Status-4-evar:
forums.mozillazine.org...
edit on 25-8-2011 by adraves because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Hmm... Odd, I'm using Firefox 6 and it's working perfectly. Did you install it through the Firefox Addon Manager? Regardles, Flash Video Downloader works well too! I like DownloadHelper since I use the additional ConvertHelper for easy conversion... I'm glad you got something working!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Their is a add on called twek tube witch has a large array of options. Allot of people like it. I tried it and founded out that I need to change the script to make some of cosmetics go away. Try it out.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky
real player hands down ...

simply glide your mouse over the video and it says "download this video"?

Absolutely agree with that assessment.

Real Player is an absolute. It integrates with most browsers and is essential for downloading FLV.

What most people don't know is, if they find music on YouTube they can download the music video

and then using the converter built in to Real Player convert the video to MP3.

You can then add the MP3 to your ipod or iphone.

I have over 70 music MP3 files on my iphone and showed my daughter that trick too.

If the OP wants a must have add on for FF 6 then I highly recommend Memory Restart 1.6. The developer just

fixed a bug that would not allow it to work on FF 6 and it works fine now.

We all know FireFox is a memory hog and it has an icon that changes colors if memory use gets to high.

Another simple trick I use,is with the bookmark tool bar.If I add a bookmark on to the tool bar and not into a folder

it normally takes up a lot of space on the bookmark tool bar because of the name of the web site along with the

icon for the web site. I right click and go to properties.When it comes up I just hit delete on the name and save

it. All that is left is the icon which is specific for the web site such as ATS,Google ,YouTube etc.

Saves a lot of space on the bookmark toolbar.

I have 20 icons on my bookmark tool bar and 8 folders as of now.

edit on 6-9-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-9-2011 by IamJustanAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
not to be a pain but ...... we do know that downloading videos and such is illegal ?

www.youtube.com...

you agree not to access Content or any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.

sorry, but i think people should be made aware of the rules

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by solvectra
not to be a pain but ...... we do know that downloading videos and such is illegal ?

www.youtube.com...

you agree not to access Content or any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the Service, and solely for Streaming. "Streaming" means a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material by YouTube via the Internet to a user operated Internet enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user.

sorry, but i think people should be made aware of the rules

YouTube violates it's own policy then because the .flv files are stored in the browser cache so it is downloaded by the user w/o them even knowing about it. So it violates the downloading temporarily section.

posted on Sep, 13 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
i used to use the "sothink" downloader for firefox but it dosent support the new version of fox.

i tried a couple others out and ended up sticking with the "netvideohunter" addon

i use it a lot, works on any video site as far as i have seen

(post by BillieMorgan removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

join