It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big Brother knows all about my bunion op - and the fish pie I ate after it: How one woman found out

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ZIPMATT

That is awesome and a good reason to put tape over your webcam!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
What really disturbs me about this thread, is the fact that I now know there are people in the world that eat fish pie.

The rest of it's old news to me.

Fish pie?

I knew the Brits weren't known for their cuisine, but fish pie?

I'd be rioting too if I'd were made to eat fish pie!

I'm kidding of course, and don't even know if fish pie is actually tasty; but just the image of a nice looking pie, then approaching it I find a rather curious but familiar smell, and upon opening up said pie with fork and knife, find fish guts, fish heads, and what not...very disturbing, lol.

I wouldn't mind trying haggis, which has even more "disturbing" ingredients, but putting fish into a pie is just wrong.

fish pie:en.wikipedia.org...

okay, I read the ingredients, may not be as bad as I thought, I LOVE Shepherds pie, make it once every few months, I guess the image of fish-stuffs, and pie combined was just bad mental imagery, plus it's breakfast time so the stomach's not too ready for exotic foods.

This is a useless reply, not meant to detract, if it has, sorry, let's continue on the thread without the mention of fish pie.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by N34Li3Z

what about fish tacos?

those arnt too bad

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I would like to see more people try to live without using their cellphone or credit/debit cards for a couple days. I've done this before and it feels strange to carry cash and not be instantly connected to the world through a cell phone. Cellphone usage is kind of like an addiction for some people because they feel like they can't survive without it. People can have an extreme negative emotional reaction when they don't have their cell phone with them as well. I've seen this happen with some of my friends before. They are miserable the whole time we are out because they forgot their cell phone. When I experienced not using my cell phone or credit/debit card for a couple days life was a lot more peaceful. I realized that using your cell phone or credit cards makes your life full of worries that make your life more difficult.

Sometimes I am jealous of people like my grandfather was when it comes to things like technology. I will always remember him saying "what the heck do you need an air conditioner in your car for!". I remember him cursing at his computer. Life was simple for him.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Looks like Information Commisioner Christopher Graham has a little bit more explaining to do. He's the only link to these secret information stealing groups.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by PunchingBag80
Looks like Information Commisioner Christopher Graham has a little bit more explaining to do. He's the only link to these secret information stealing groups.

Christopher Graham

hristopher Graham became Information Commissioner in June 2009. The Information Commissioner is appointed by HM The Queen and has independent status reporting directly to Parliament, with a range of responsibilities under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, the Data Protection Act 1998 and related laws. The functions of the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) include promoting good practice, ruling on complaints and taking regulatory action Christopher’s career began at the BBC as a radio and TV journalist. Most recently he has been: Director General of the Advertising Standards Authority Chairman of the European Advertising Standards Alliance; and Secretary of the BBC

He has many links across europe with advertisers who pay vast amounts for information on their target demographic.

Do we see a conflict of interest here and a money maker for government or individuals?

Maybe huh?

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

oh I LOVE fish tacos! There's a restaurant in the U.S. named "Cheesburgers in Paradise" (Jimmy Buffet started the chain I believe) and it was a breaded whitefish with coconut in the breading, with a mango-pineapple-jalapeno salsa on top on a bed of cabbage in a white flour tortilla. Three big old huge ones for pretty cheap too, and severely tasty.

Credit card companies are evil!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Funny thing is, this is only the thin end of the wedge and thinking of the lady in the OP - quite tame really... What we have are a lot of disparate organisations collating information that quite probably doesn't ever get put together. Unless of course you're "a person of interest".

It's probably for the better that Tesco aren't quite so obviously evil... just as well no one else thought of doing this.

Oh, wait www.darpa.mil...

Can't remember the name of the project, think it was alleged to have been scrapped.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by petrus4
reply to post by EvanB

There are two very simple things that anyone who is concerned about reducing their traceability (at least on a daily basis) can do.

1) Do not own a mobile phone. I don't own one. My mother bought me one which I used for a brief period of time, but the charger was misplaced, and I got rid of it. I do have a laptop, but it is old, and very rarely used.

I consider the cellular phone to be a genuinely evil form of technology, to be honest. They can be tracked to within 10 meters, anywhere on the planet, and although different phones vary, their levels of microwave radiation are known to often be carcinogenic. In addition, they generate very large amounts of non-recyclable rubbish, when teenagers throw away a phone that may still be perfectly functional, in order to get a more recent one, so as to maintain social acceptability.

I don't care who you are, or what your life is like; do not reply to this, telling me that you need a mobile phone. You do not. Payphones to a certain extent still exist, and Internet cafes are everywhere. If your reasons for feeling that you "need" a mobile phone have anything to do with social acceptability, then I have no sympathy for you whatsoever.

2) Use cash, rather than ATMs, EFTpos, or credit cards. Cards now have RFID chips in them which are trackable at range. They're not the dermal off-chip that Norman Rockefeller would like us all to have, but they'll do for the time being. Every time you make an EFTpos transaction, your point of location is tracked and recorded.

If you get all of your money out of an ATM at once, then that location is still recorded, yes; but none of your other movements that would otherwise be digitally recorded via the card, can be. If they want to know where you've been from your cash purchases, they will then likely need to go through analogue records. This is one of the main reasons why they don't like cash, and why they're trying to discourage everyone from using it.

Because I'm unemployed, I'm unable to get a credit card anyway; but I've always had a policy that if I don't have the cash for something, I don't get it. Most people don't have the basic integrity, maturity, or discipline to be able to apply such a rule to their own lives, and will also likely attack me for adhering to it as well.

Always remember, that in order to rule over you, the elite always have to take advantage of some negative characteristic of your nature. Your greed, your desire for convenience, your unwillingness to think, your laziness, your craving for superficiality and social acceptance, your indifference. Virtue is therefore your best defense; if you work to eliminate all of these characteristics as much as possible, you will greatly reduce the hold the elite can have on you.
edit on 13-8-2011 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

Hey, I'm 100% with you on everything your stated here. I also starred you.

I was in a car accident a while back and these two things happened

1- upon impact, my cellphone went flying and we later found it cracked under the back-seat. Before and during the accident it was laying on the front passenger seat and it was turned off. (I never used the cell phone while driving + thankfully, I was alone in the car). It must have hit something hard enough, maybe the back window ... not sure, but hard enough to crack it and it wound up underneath the driver's seat. If I had a child passenger in the back-seat, a flying airborne cell phone -- flying at whatever miles-per-hour could have seriously injured the child, if it struck the child.

Also, hours after the accident the cell phone was laying on the table, still in 'off' mode and cracked almost in half, yet it started bouncing across the table. A few minutes later a friend called my home phone and said he had heard about my accident from a family member. But, then he asked what I had just called him for. I replied, "I didn't call you a few minutes ago". He said my cell phone number was on his cell phone display and it showed that I had just called. Unbelievable, but this really happened. I had called him a few days earlier, but not that day.

I have no use for cell phones anymore. I agree with you. They are evil and it is true that you can be traced to anywhere, except for the Amazonian Jungles. I now have a cell phone that I purchase the minutes (pre-paid) and I only use it for emergencies --- to report violence or an accident, if I was in trouble or the car broke down or I was lost on the road. If so, I'd pull over to make the call. I purchase 30-minutes per month, and pay cash for the 30-minutes. Calling for roadside assistance or the police, or whatever, could easily eat up 10-minutes, hence the 30-minutes per month. Very few people have the cell number and they know I will not have a conversation on the phone -- 3-minute max, if that. Frequent, long-term exposure DOES cause cancer.

2- exactly 3-days after the accident I received 11 notices in the mail from 'ambulance chasing' lawyers and by the end of the week I had a total of 23 letters/advertisements, all from lawyers wanting to' take my case'. The driver of the other car was charged with 'reckless driving' and was cited.

So, for the hell of it, knowing I wasn't going to file a lawsuit and therefore line the pockets of some greedy, psycho attorney who really didn't give a rat's a*s about me or my condition, I called two of the lawyers anyway just to prove my point.

The first one immediately asked me, "What bones were broken?" When I replied "None, but" ... he hung up after the word "but" ... didn't even let me finish my sentence. So, for the hell of it I called another lawyer .. same thing. Only, he said, "If you don't have a broken collar-bone or didn't break a major bone, I can't waste my time - I have other cases" ... and he hung up.

Much to my non-surprise, both had zero compassion ... just wanted to make a quick buck at my misfortune, trauma and expense. I called to prove my suspicions about these lawyers.

I was amazed that since this information wasn't in the newspaper or on the news, yet all these ambulance chasing attorneys were sending me letters that they wanted to represent me ... 23 total.

Nothing is private anymore ... no such thing.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Does anyone know if a pre-paid credit card with at least a few hundred $$ on it, can be traced? Is it traceable?

Since there isn't a name on it and it's not an account - it's prepaid, I don't see how it could be traced. Does anyone know?

In an emergency or a disaster, it's impossible to get a hotel room or to rent a car/van without a credit card.

I'm thinking of terminating my credit cards as they are a big nuisance and the evil powers are all over me just waiting for me to slip up and make one late payment, so that they can bump up my low-interest rate.

I'd rather just pay cash and have one (or two) pre-paid credit cards for a few hundred $$$ each, in case of an emergency.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'll never be caught dead with a credit card not just because they track you but they are scams if you really think about it, use cash. Seems like everyone and their mother uses cell phones but me. They can try and track me through my computer but they fail miserably, I have screenshots of blocking department of justice, US navy, even the British Council, I think its quite funny. Two words can sum all this up....Patriot Act, nobody is safe from privacy predators.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Well I red through most of that.

To be honest.

Who cares?

I don't have much to hide. My views are quite vocal, and really, you as the consumer should recognize that electronics such in terms of security. Plain and simple.

Either speak in code or, God forbid, get our of the house and speak in person.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

They are still tied to your name and address etc

Your purchases will still be logged alongside your location etc the same as any other card.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by EvanB

Well I red through most of that.

To be honest.

Who cares?

I don't have much to hide. My views are quite vocal, and really, you as the consumer should recognize that electronics such in terms of security. Plain and simple.

Either speak in code or, God forbid, get our of the house and speak in person.

Your views are exactly why this is going to keep on happening till we lose all privacy. Because people like you think it's all about you have nothing to hide. That is not the issue. The issue is we have almost no privacy left at all. Is that really the world you want to live in? How about those movie stars who live their lives in a goldfish bowl and have the paparazzi at their doorstep every day? Well it's like that only it's Big Brother. It is appalling that so many people use the argument that they have nothing to hide and therefore their lives and everyone else's should be a completely open book to other prying eyes and to large corporations who are datamining so they can sell your personal info for a few bucks.It's insanity and people need to know it's going to get worse.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
While in school a few years back, I had to do a project, and I found quite a few books in the Library about Internet privacy. I did post this just yesterday or so here on ATS on some other thread, so I'm quite pleased that someone else has picked up on the idea of datamining. We should know that even while we are losing our privacy online in many ways, the current POTUS is using Stimulus funds to upgrade databases on medical records. Any breach that happens, the company can be fined up to a million bucks with an auditor getting a cut in the fines, while the govt gets the rest, and yet the individual does not seem to be all that important in the scenario. While Big Brother is preparing their giant databases for datamining of their own, they are fining companies for breaches. Will this stop datamining? No, it will not. This is only the health sector.
Katherine Albrecht wrote the book "Spychips" and here is her website. And notice the big bold letters 1984 on that site.
www.spychips.com...

The End of Privacy by Whitaker portal.acm.org...

Here's a good article on USAToday on datamining www.usatoday.com...

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ThirdEyeofHorus

Well I think privacy shouldn't exist beyond the bedroom. It's really the only way to have a successful culture that calls out its own faults and fights them. I'd favor no privacy at all for leaders. I'd prefer a scale. The higher up you go in society, the less privacy you have. With the president more or less living in a glass house, so to speak.

That's what I would love to see.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
And this is why I pay cash for everything

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Here's an article on the Stimulus and HIPAA rules

www.healthleadersmedia.com...##

www.edocscan.com...

healthlawoffices.com...

I have to say that while all this is ostensibly to hold the feet of health industry to the fire of protecting people's health records, the individuals whose information is breached are still affected and the businesses just give money to the govt, while more and more regulations are heaped on businesses and IT professionals charged with Information Security. In the meantime, Big Brother will have more streamlined databases to mine.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Well I think privacy shouldn't exist beyond the bedroom. It's really the only way to have a successful culture that calls out its own faults and fights them. I'd favor no privacy at all for leaders. I'd prefer a scale. The higher up you go in society, the less privacy you have. With the president more or less living in a glass house, so to speak.

That's what I would love to see.

This is not about the higher up you go. Sure, people in politics get more scrutiny. That has however not stopped one of the most corrupt politicians ever from operating at high levels with impunity. In fact, the individual seems to operate even after so much information is revealed about him, and yet the average person cannot run from this invasion of privacy. This is about everyone's daily lives and the power of the govt to step in any time and run or ruin your life forevermore. This is about corporations and govt being able to sift through all your personal information and use it against you for any reason.
No, I challenge your opinon to the very core.
Feminists say they want govt out of their decision making of their bodies, yet they seem to not mind govt in every other aspect of their lives.

Anyway, here is a credible article from IEEE on datamining
www.todaysengineer.org...

edit on 14-8-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-8-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

They can try to do that but they will fail. I am an individual with my own minds and opinions, and history proves Americans would rather go to war than be forced to be the same. Those elsewhere seem somehow easily able to make their whole populations be as they demand. Not true in America.

No, I think my way is the right way. When the government sees millions with firearms and angry opinions, maybe they'll be too afraid to try and do anything.

I for one don't much know how selling my data could be used against me. What, i'll be faced with ads that I prefer? Is that honestly bad? what could they possibly sell about me to use against me? I wake up every day, I poo, I shower, and draw, create, and talk, and then I eat and go to sleep. There's nothing much to my life. And I don't much give a damn.

If anything, the ability to quickly prosecute millions on stupid laws would be a productive force to encouraging people to rip down such laws and bring down the system. If anything, less privacy makes people more agitated, and thus so, ready to fight that which claims to master them, rather than sit on their fat behinds and listen to their stolen music and tv shows while they do nothing for their lives.

Privacy is not a productive force in society. Pretty much the only reason I could imagine why someone would need it is when they want to have sex or something. Thus is why I say, beyond the bedroom, privacy is obsolete.

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join