It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Launch of Hypersonic FALCON HTV-2 aircraft pushed back a day by weather...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The launch of an experimental aircraft capable of reaching 13,000 mph was scrubbed Wednesday because of bad weather at Vandenberg Air Force Base, northwest of Santa Barbara. The unmanned aircraft, dubbed Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2, was scheduled to be launched at 7 a.m. PDT aboard a Minotaur IV rocket, made by Orbital Sciences Corp. But when that time rolled around the Air Force held the countdown.

For more info please read story here:
LA Times

DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2 (HTV-2) program is a multiyear research and development effort to increase the technical knowledge base and advance critical technologies to make long-duration hypersonic flight a reality.

Please read...DARPA

I find this all simply amazing to say he least. When one considers the possibility of flying from Los Angeles to New York in a matter of minutes, it makes me wonder what else our Military has up their sleeves? With all the recent UFO sightings around the world, I'm beginning to lean towards many of these aircraft being produced by our own military and not so extraterrestrial. Although I have yet to see this thing fly, I'm hopeful that tomorrow morning will be my big day. I'll certainly have watchful eyes in the AM.

Was this aircraft once part of the Black Book Projects? Any thoughts or input is appreciated.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ed49cfcb54c.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 8/10/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Try not to beat up on me too bad as this is my first thread

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
The Falcon is part of Project Aurora, which has been a black budget project since the 80's. I guarantee you they have technology we couldn't even imagine. Why hide it though? Anyways, can't wait to see this thing fly!

en.wikipedia.org...(aircraft)

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Great one for the first thread! I've been watching this pretty close myself and wondering how it will turn out. Personally, I think it would be a nice touch if the Aurora came screaming out of the clouds to run a couple tight circles around their toy rocket before flying back off to wherever it is the Aurora is based these days. That would make it worth watching!

Seriously though....It's hard to get worked up about this when I've seen the doughnut hole contrails of the Aurora and watched two of them (I believe they were Aurora's...what else moves in excess of Mach 10 INSIDE the atmosphere..and in formation?) fly over Vegas in broad daylight for God and everyone to see. Perhaps these public toys will at least give them the freedom to slowly announce the REAL craft they've been flying for years.... They have to explain the progression in technology somehow, I guess.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DivineIntervention

That's what my thoughts are on most of these "projects", why hide it? Apparently, the military has done a bang up job at doing just that. I understand the need for secrecy...what I don't understand however, is why do they spend so much money on these projects and what the heck are they building them for wars?

I do find the technology amazing...just seems like the military or the entity that gets the government contract would put their technology to practical use. Seems like the contractors would still make plenty of money

I mean to say, why make something, keep it under lock and key for decades only to reveal it to the public then tuck it away...seems pointless. Look at Sir Richard Branson, he's done rather well for himself while contributing to the international community.

I know there's alot that I don't understand, but one thing I know for sure a ton of money is thrown into these "projects" and I'd like to know their real purpose.

Maybe I'm missing something

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Perhaps these public toys will at least give them the freedom to slowly announce the REAL craft they've been flying for years.... They have to explain the progression in technology somehow, I guess.

At least you gave me a thought to ponder. I'm very curious about what they're up to flying these works of technological brilliance all around the skies (looks fun also). Don' get me wrong, I think most of what I've seen and read about is simply genius, but what are they doing with these aircraft?

You may have hit the nail on the head with possibly explaining the progression in technology.

BTW, thanks for the compliment

edit on 8/11/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Hopefully, this gets out as I know some had voiced concern on ATS that the HTV-2 had disappeared on its last launch date.

Fortunately it was not lost, at least not in terms of "we don't know where it is".

HTV-2
edit on 9/1/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: spelling

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Will the real HTV-2 please stand up?

I´m spending about 45min each day on the web just searching for images of the real thing. If someone has seen one ( image that is ) please post a link. Somehow i´m getting in the conspiracy mood regarding this *thing* whatever it is.

Another thing, looking at other high speed aircraft and high speed birds it seems to be a pattern to how they are designed aerodynamically (is that correct spelling?) in the sense that they are fairly streamlined in the back. I assume for not creating turbulence/drag. This *thing* the HTV-2 looks pretty sleek up front and then it´s just cut off in the back. Won´t that introduce a lot of drag?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by tomra
Will the real HTV-2 please stand up?

I´m spending about 45min each day on the web just searching for images of the real thing. If someone has seen one ( image that is ) please post a link. Somehow i´m getting in the conspiracy mood regarding this *thing* whatever it is.

Another thing, looking at other high speed aircraft and high speed birds it seems to be a pattern to how they are designed aerodynamically (is that correct spelling?) in the sense that they are fairly streamlined in the back. I assume for not creating turbulence/drag. This *thing* the HTV-2 looks pretty sleek up front and then it´s just cut off in the back. Won´t that introduce a lot of drag?

Thanks for stopping by

I kept an eye out for it when it launched. Unfortunately, it was overcast and I didn't see a darn thing but thick clouds.I did however remember reading a post I commented in that one of the other ATS members stated they had seen one.

I will look around for that post and come back and put up the link. I don't recall the member saying anything about photographs though...just said they were lucky enough to have seen it. I highly doubt there's any photos in the average Joe's hand.

I'm not knowledgeable enough about aerodynamics (yes, you spelled it correctly) to speak about the design/drag

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Maneuvering at very high speeds even in very thin atmosphere is quite a challange. The missile/plane shape efficiently transmits the shock wave to the back and behind when travelling in straight line. However the stresses can be very high on the skin while turning.

Any idea as to the purpose of this experiment?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by vedatruth

Any idea as to the purpose of this experiment?

According to the DARPA website

Falcon HTV-2

DARPA’s Falcon Hypersonic Technology Vehicle 2 (HTV-2) program is a multiyear research and development effort to increase the technical knowledge base and advance critical technologies to make long-duration hypersonic flight a reality. Data from the program informs policy, acquisition, and operations decisions for future Department of Defense Conventional Prompt Global Strike programs. Hypersonic data is collected through extensive modeling and simulation, wind-tunnel testing and two experimental flight tests. The ultimate goal is a capability that can reach anywhere in the world in less than an hour.

LINK

So, there's a little info there. My questions are like you asked, what's its purpose? Second, where is the budget money coming from?

I'm also curious as to why the MSM made an announcement about its latest flight only to forget about the story and never provide an update on the results of the flight
I know test flights happen often but why did news organizations like CNN make a big deal out of this one?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThePublicEnemyNo1

I'm also curious as to why the MSM made an announcement about its latest flight only to forget about the story and never provide an update on the results of the flight
I know test flights happen often but why did news organizations like CNN make a big deal out of this one?

Beeing in the news business myself my guess would be...

a) it was a public press release, which makes the information legit/safe to use and...
b) because it makes beautiful clickgenerating headlines using a phrase like "reaching anywere in the world in 60 minutes. Anyone would click that link.
c) no additional information has been provided since which means no additinal stories...see point a.

I´m still searching for true pictures, found none.
I did however find an aviation website mentioning that the shape of HTV-2 is classified which obviously would explain the lack of images as well as making the initial press release kinda odd. Essentially it could pretty much look like anything then. Why go public at all when the information you can share is so sparse. I suspect that something might have happened behind the curtain forcing a press release which initially was not intended. Pure speculation on my behalf.

---

So, anyone know at what altitude the HTV-2 separation happens? As far as i can understand the minotaur rocket can take it´s payload up to low earth altitude (LEO). Not sure if this means that the HTV-2 in reality is a space vessel or if separation happens lower.

Anyone else in the know regarding arodynamics? Been browsing through every other similar project and they all share ( as far as i can see ) the same streamlined sleek profile, even the darpa ones. To my understanding the ultimate high speed shape is that of a teardrop. So...what´s up with HTV-2´s cut end? The retired orbiter was pretty bulky in the rear end too but then again i guess you need some drag in order to slow down coming in from orbit, which the orbiters flight pattern shows.
edit on 26-9-2011 by tomra because: Changed 20min to 60min under point b) because i know an hour is the official ETA and my mind kept thinking about mach 20, which turned out to be 20min when i made the post

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DivineIntervention
The Falcon is part of Project Aurora, which has been a black budget project since the 80's. I guarantee you they have technology we couldn't even imagine.

I guarantee they don't - there's lots of sci-fi writers out there who have imagined and awful lot.......

for those who believe Aurora flew way back in the 1990's or whenever....what is your rationalisation of why they are testing these small unmanned demonstrators (and occasinally losing them!) if they have full sized a/c "somewhere"??

I also dont' understasnd the questions about where's the money coming from and what is it's purpose - the moneyis coming from DARPA, it's purpose is to explore hypersonic technology.......what's to not understand about that????

Wiki article on HTV-2

Wiki article on Project Falcon - which HTV-2 is part of , and...

Wiki article on Prompt Global Strike - which Project Falcon is a major part of.
edit on 26-9-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

How can you guarantee they don´t?

There´s plenty of testemonials coming from people in the know saying that tech behind the curtain is far more advanced than what one might be able to imagine. Don´t ask for proof because none will be given and so forth it remains a speculation. However, that does not equal it beeing BS.

Personally i have no first hand knowledge of any of this. I have to make up my opinion based on what i read and then listen to my gut feeling.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by tomra

Dude we can imagine warp drives and stargates, aliens that live in suns and miniature black hole weapons and stardrives.

You are giving far too little credit to the human imagination.

And when there's some evidence that all these insiders are doing anythign other than using their imaginations I'll start to take it credibly.

In the mean time teh stories make good sci-fi/detective novel reading

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I respect your opinion and surely you might just be right too but please, it´s still an opinion and no guarantee?

Anyway, teh cup is half full or half empty, each and everyone chooses to see it how they please.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

How can you guarantee they don´t?

There´s plenty of testemonials coming from people in the know saying that tech behind the curtain is far more advanced than what one might be able to imagine. Don´t ask for proof because none will be given and so forth it remains a speculation. However, that does not equal it beeing BS.

Personally i have no first hand knowledge of any of this. I have to make up my opinion based on what i read and then listen to my gut feeling.

Testimonials from people whom have absolutely no standing, respectability or visibility outside of this very specific community of aviation conspiracy theorists.

Sorry, but those sort of testimonials do not do it for me - I have yet to hear an actual testimonial from someone who does not immediately come across as a whack-job (please don't bring up the Ben Rich quote - there has been absolutely no substantiation that he actually said it, ever). You yourself accept that no proof has ever been given, and no proof is likely to be forthcoming - and yet you accept the word of other people seemingly without question.

Show me the actual aircraft. Or show me actual reliable proof. Until either of those two things can be done, I'm erring on the side of caution.

A heck of a lot of stuff that is discussed in this particular forum, and in forums elsewhere just like it, are to my mind nothing more than fantastical musings and "I want to believe" desperation's - because the reality is so much more mundane that its something people don't want to think about.

How long did it take the "Beast of Kandahar" to be captured in detail on film? A few days from the start of its deployment - and only a few months since the project was started. Now tell me how Aurora and other fantastical aircraft of the same ilk have evaded being captured on film in detail for the decades they have supposedly been flying outside of the restricted military testing areas? Someone should have come up with a good shot of Aurora by now - its apparently been out there since the 1980s... But no, all we have is blurry half shots of stuff that might as well be a chicken flying, night shots of "interesting" lights, noises and eye witness accounts from witnesses that have less credibility than a tripe sandwich.

The US lose a top secret stealth helicopter on a mission, and its all over the world news - the US lost many SR-71s in operation, again fairly publicly. Are you telling me that the Aurora managed either one of two possibilities: a perfect flight record, or some very very secret crashes and subsequent cleanups?

Sorry, but in my mind, Aurora doesn't exist. I'd love it if it did, but it doesn't. Its pure fantasy.
edit on 28/9/2011 by RichardPrice because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

Read my posts again. I have no proof, evidence or otherwise any information to convince anyone about the tech that might or might not be locked up in "black top secret projects". Neither have i mentioned the "Aurora". As for credible sources, i will quote none because i can´t present evidence strong enough to convince you that they are credible beyond doubt. For me it´s just a tidbit of information for personal reference.

Topic in this thread however is the HTV-2 which we do know exists

Perhaps you could help me find out at what altitude the separation happens as well as digg up a couple of real life photographs of the HTV-2?

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Edited 'cos I was wrong....yes..it does happen!

edit on 28-9-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

reply to post by RichardPrice

Read my posts again. I have no proof, evidence or otherwise any information to convince anyone about the tech that might or might not be locked up in "black top secret projects".

So why did you "guarantee" that technology exists beyond that which we can imagine??

You can't have it both ways.....

Mm...i believe that was Divineintervention in a post further up? The post you initially replied to which in turn i replied to? I can guarantee you that the HTV-2 exists. Because darpa says so and i believe the common opinon is that they are credible?

(Disclaimer : sometimes i type too fast and what ends up in a post is speaking my mind sort of. I should pay attention to using the "?" more often)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join