It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Patriotism for your country

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
I have been on these forums for a while now, and i have come across many people blinded by Patriotism for their country. In my opinion, we need to move away from this way of thinking. I believe its a brainwashing technique that is used to pretty much make the people do many things, all for the good of your country, so we are told.

I read people people talk about their country, as if its the only country that matters, and other countries mean nothing. I wish people would move away from this primitive way of thinking, and see us all as a whole. We are all in this together, the whole world.

I have patrioism for the planet, for the human race as a whole. I know many people will not agree with me, and thats fine. The reason why i made this thread was to get opinions on both sides.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

The more intelligent people on the planet have figured this out.

That includes most of the people at the top of the pyramid.

That's why we're moving towards a one world.

A divided world is simply not sustainable.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Don't confuse patriotism for nationalism. There's a chasm of difference.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   

I simply could not agree with you more. It is a flawed way of thinking, and I've run across it quite a lot. Of course this flawed thinking has warped its way into many facets of life (or was already there). I've commented on such issues before in other threads, but I cannot help it. I must speak on it, In hopes we as a people finally move past these delusions of separation, of superiority. We've made some good strides, but it's time now to make more. A lot more. Thank you for your post. I hope it reaches far for the better.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Patriotism is vital for preservation of your country. Without it, your country will eventually fall.

I am loyal to my country, just as I am to my family. I believe my family is the best there is, and so is my country. My allegiance is to the U.S.A.

I am a Patriot to my country.
edit on 9-8-2011 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

No, you're a nationalist. Your nation - which happens to also be my nation - is not the best there is. For that matter, it's even failing its own potential.That is, it's not even trying to be the best that its capability allows.

And here's someone like you who goes "HERPTY DERP WE'RE NUMBER ONE!" and then turns on the TV, never thinking that hey, there's lots of room for improvement, let's fix this place up.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
I agree. i don't consider myself to have a country and i am certainly not patriotic to the place i was born and brought up.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Patriotism is vital for preservation of your country.

No it's not, denying ignorance is preserving something. And you're embracing ignorance.

Seriously, cut and dry generic statements like the one you made with fictitious names for countries or stories that you were indoctrinated with as a little kid.... they don't make it. Rather, they show a huge LACK of intellect and reasoning skills.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I have been against it for a long time now. Like i said, it causes more problems than good. Its like this planet has mini planets (countries) and they are always trying to out do eachother. Be it the first country in space, or the first country to make the most destructive weapon. To me, its so childish. Its like boys and their toys, but at the end of the day, they are messing with our lives.

We are still a very primitive race. While our technology is advancing at a fast rate, our mentality is still the same as it was hundreds of years ago. I sometimes feel i see the bigger picture, while many people do not,

If we could throw away this patrioism for your country, and work together, then who knows what we could achieve. I know thats easier said than done, but hey, we have to start from somewhere. But there are no signs this will ever happen, not in the near future anyway. I feel that something terrible is going to have to happen to open peoples eyes.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
Patriotism is vital for preservation of your country. Without it, your country will eventually fall.

I am loyal to my country, just as I am to my family. I believe my family is the best there is, and so is my country. My allegiance is to the U.S.A.

I am a Patriot to my country.
edit on 9-8-2011 by SourGrapes because: (no reason given)

This is the problem. Why can't people have allegiance to the planet as a whole, and not just your country. People just don't understand the bigger picture, hence the reaon why i believe patrioism for your country is a brainwashing tactic.

I am from the UK, and i don't feel any patrioism for my country because i have seem the world. I have lived in places around the world. The world is much bigger, and more important than my country.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Because the planet is full of other people from other countries who we don't know.

if that sounds like a circular argument... well, that's cause it is. As you pointed out, we're pretty much stuck with a certain outlook; sorry, you can strum your own heartstrings all you want about how open-minded and wonderful you are... but you're still just another tribal ape (in fact you're likely coming up with this just to score social points with some tribe you want to be friendly with - the walleyed spacey-brained universalists, for instance).

Now, tribal ape though you may be, you are not doomed. See, it's possible to support your own tribe - whatever it may be - without infringing on other tribes (whoever they may be.) They can do the same. Net gain for the entire species. It's possible to work together while still having lines in the sand, after all.

The tribe formed after we encountered other family groups.
The kingdom formed when we met other tribes.
The empire formed when we mert other kingdoms
The nation-state formed when we found other continents and peoples.
The globe will only happen when we find someone even further away than that.
edit on 9/8/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

It's funny that we need to look at ourselves in a mirror in order to move on. From the tribal phase all the way to a planetary scale version of it.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
As soon as we can come to grips with the inadequacy of the nation-state as one of the pillars on which modern society rests, we may begin to evolve new "tribes" that aren't founded geographically (based on past tribal conquests) but rather demographically or ideologically.

ganjoa

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWalkingFox

Because the planet is full of other people from other countries who we don't know.

if that sounds like a circular argument... well, that's cause it is. As you pointed out, we're pretty much stuck with a certain outlook; sorry, you can strum your own heartstrings all you want about how open-minded and wonderful you are... but you're still just another tribal ape (in fact you're likely coming up with this just to score social points with some tribe you want to be friendly with - the walleyed spacey-brained universalists, for instance).

Now, tribal ape though you may be, you are not doomed. See, it's possible to support your own tribe - whatever it may be - without infringing on other tribes (whoever they may be.) They can do the same. Net gain for the entire species. It's possible to work together while still having lines in the sand, after all.

The tribe formed after we encountered other family groups.
The kingdom formed when we met other tribes.
The empire formed when we mert other kingdoms
The nation-state formed when we found other continents and peoples.
edit on 9/8/2011 by TheWalkingFox because: (no reason given)

You don't seem to understand what i am saying. Also, where did i state "i am wonderful"? I am just a normal person, like everyone else. All this tribe stuff you talk about is a very primitive way of thinking that has caused more wars and pain than anything else.

You say its because we don't know other people in other countries. So, you know everyone in your country? See, this is the type of thinking that keeps us in the dark ages. Being tribal causes tribal warfare, am i right?

You might say "oh, this has been going on for hundreds of years", and you are right. But there is a big differnce now. We are not fighting with sticks and stones, guns and planes. We now have weapons that could pretty much destroy the planet. But hey, we do it all for the love of our country. The world might be destroyed, but God will save our country! Its all a load of rubbish, and it needs to change if we are going to progress. We need to work together, as a planet, and not a country.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris
I have been on these forums for a while now, and i have come across many people blinded by Patriotism for their country. In my opinion, we need to move away from this way of thinking. I believe its a brainwashing technique that is used to pretty much make the people do many things, all for the good of your country, so we are told.

I read people people talk about their country, as if its the only country that matters, and other countries mean nothing. I wish people would move away from this primitive way of thinking, and see us all as a whole. We are all in this together, the whole world.

I have patrioism for the planet, for the human race as a whole. I know many people will not agree with me, and thats fine. The reason why i made this thread was to get opinions on both sides.

I agree with you. The Tower of Babel has to be dismantled and the human race needs to start to co-operate and share......and theglobalist arch promoters of division have to go.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

The sad fact of the matter is, when governments brainwash you to be patriotic for your country, then they pretty much have control over what they do. Be it wars or whatever. If you tell people that you are doing it for your country enough times, they are going to believe it.

posted on Aug, 9 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jay-morris

The sad fact of the matter is, when governments brainwash you to be patriotic for your country, then they pretty much have control over what they do. Be it wars or whatever. If you tell people that you are doing it for your country enough times, they are going to believe it.

There comes a point when we have to see brainwashing for what it is, and choose to think differently - think for ourselves. The lies are so blatant once you start to question things and look around. Basically, our societies need to learn to have confidence in their OWN experience and observations instead of being told what to think by the TV, Press, Hollywood, Marketing gurus, gubberment, etc.

Constant information overload is also an aspect of brainwashing. Reduce the overload, turn off the tv, stop reading newspapers, leave the internet alone - this allows us to start to discover what we really see and think.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Alot of people think they think for themselves, but they don't. Too many people see their leaders as mini-gods, who are here to keep them safe and sound. Look around you, the world is a complete mess. Be it through wars, or financially, it seems to be getting worse. I believe the whole system has to change for us to progress as a race. We need to get rid of this tribal and patriotism for you country rubbish, that is slowly bringing us to our knee's

The sad fact of the matter is, to many people are more concerned about celebraties Well-being and getting the latest pointless Entertainment gossip than they are about the world. This is really sad, but the truth.

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   

So are you saying Our Fore Fathers got it wrong? Or / and commitment to the country you call the homeland is stupid? I am a believer in the principles that make patriotism worth something to me. There is no problem in believing in something, unless what you believe in is a problem. It would be like saying marriage is stupid because people get divorced. I don't mean this toward you in a rude way. I respect your opinions, I just don't agree with the bottom line they point to !!

posted on Aug, 10 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby

So are you saying Our Fore Fathers got it wrong? Or / and commitment to the country you call the homeland is stupid? I am a believer in the principles that make patriotism worth something to me. There is no problem in believing in something, unless what you believe in is a problem. It would be like saying marriage is stupid because people get divorced. I don't mean this toward you in a rude way. I respect your opinions, I just don't agree with the bottom line they point to !!

Your fore fathers are only human, we are all only human. And no, i don't agree with them. Can't you see how this has caused more trouble than good? Can't you see how governments brainwash their people with patrioism? Maybe i do see things different than you. I see a small world in a huge universe. I see humans, who are all related, fighting with eachother, acting like children trying to beat the next country into space, to get the newest technology, and pretty much everything else. To me, it is a very preimitive way of thinking.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join