It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lights Flickering. Is CME causing it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
For two days and nights, the lights have been flickering. Seems to flickering and buzz more at night, and then during the day, the flickering is not as bad.
My husband thought it was our fuse box shorting out, but funny thing is, my daughter was using her MP3 player (not hooked into an outlet) and she was listening not to a radio station, but an MP3 song. Kind of freaked her out when it sounded like it was shorting out and made a good buzzing in her headset.

So I am thinking it has to be due to the CMEs.

I have been watching the behavior of animals (like birds) and they seem to be acting normal so far.

Is anyone else having flickering lights, buzzing? I am in Northern California (USA) area.

Thanks.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I am on the east coast. I have had similar experience with the lights flickering. Mine actually went out completely, for about 30 seconds, an hour ago. Not sure if its from the CME or not. It's possible though.

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I am in NYC, my lights did the same around that time. I thought for sure that I was hearing fireworks and it ended up being thunder, no rain tho! CRAZY!

edit on 5-8-2011 by NeoAlef2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NeoAlef2012
I am in NYC, my lights did the same around that time. I thought for sure that I was hearing fireworks and it ended up being thunder, no rain tho! CRAZY!

edit on 5-8-2011 by NeoAlef2012 because: (no reason given)
i dfont know what taht could be but.. i know one thing i think its doing something.. no idea though it might make them do that yet again
it could just be a coincidence also

posted on Aug, 5 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by shadowreborn89

This is whack, Ive been noticing the same thing for days!

I guess this whole solar flare thing isnt all just bull#....

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Greetings all,

I had experienced such a thing tonight, aprox around 8pm, iam located in S. California.

Cheers,

A

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
We had a show staged tonight in town and the whole block lost power after the lights flickered a bit about 8-8:30PM PST
had to cancel the show.

Havnt noticed anything else yet though, and not sure if its related to the CME.
edit on 8/6/2011 by TasteTheTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
power out in some spots in SE pa with other areas experiencing that same flickering that other posters have reported. Half of my appliances wont turn on and the microwave just creeps at half power. its eerie to watch

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Mine flickered here in Wyoming about 40 minutes ago. It was very brief, just a few seconds worth. Don't know if it was related to the CME. I figured it was a momentary drain on the house power level when one of the air conditioner's compressor kicked on.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
thank you for your replies. My lights stopped flickering for a bit and just now they started up again (10:57 PM)
Let's see if these flickers are in time with eachother at some point.
Please state around what area you are experiencing the flickers and time if possible. I have NEVER had my lights flickering like this ever, especially for a couple days, AND my daughters MP3 player buzz up.

So I am thinking that the CMEs are definately causing these fluctuations..

I have a question, hopefully someone can help with answer--
Plasma. What type of effect would plasma energy thrown at us from the sun have on us? Does anyone know what to possibly expect or look for in animals, people, plants, etc? I tried looking some of that kind of info up, and I dont understand much of the jargon.
Greatly appreciate any info.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Its more than likely just the strain of all the extra power being used from people due to this un-bearable heat the country is having. I wouldn't worry too much about the other stuff, just try to cut back on some power folks.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
East-Central Kentucky too.

The drain on my fans and AC was so bad it woke me up (serious change in tone), after sleeping through the heat.

As brittle as the power grid around here is though, I would be surprised if it was caused by a flare, and NOT fried something more significant.

Of course with the kind of storms we normally have, we've stopped counting how many times the power's been affected by weather. :/

I hear the plasma gets here between 48 and 72 hours after the light and stuff (8 minutes), and there does seem to be some correlation (that I'd be willing to go out on a limb for) between really strong flares (X and bigger) and earthquakes, but that doesn't seem to be going on atm.
edit on 6-8-2011 by lagnar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
My lights have flickered since we went to the new "squiggly"
light bulbs,it seems to effect my lights with dimmer switches mostly,and this is normal.
Just thought I'd add that,however I'm sure not all of you have the new style bulbs and dimmer switches, so yeah I would think probably the grid is drained due to the heat or possibly solar flares.
So basically I've added nothing to the thread.
thank you

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

There are always CMEs and generally unless they are X class will not affect anything.

I watched the M9 (nearly and X) hit last night. The main hit was just before midnight UTC so I don't know how that ties into your time zones.

The smaller arrival before that is unlikely to have has any effects but did show on the seismograms as a disturbance.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheTruth

This explains the flickering with the lights around that time. I was very annoyed by it and turned off. I kind of had a lot of problems that day with electronics, including my computer kind of acting up pretty bad.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by triplereiki

Mid Atlantic area USA around 11 or so last night the channels started changing on the TV. Only lasted a few seconds. I thought my husband had leaned on the remote on the bed but the remote was on his night stand not on the bed. We both said, thats freaky but didnt make much of it.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by KaiserSouszay

Just a note on those light bulbs. They are not good with dimmer switches. You really only have two options with these bulbs. On or off. No dimming. If you just turn your dimmer all the way up you should not get the flickering. Likewise make sure you hear the click when you switch them off.

posted on Aug, 7 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I had assumed the electricity at my house was flickering and going out due to the heat wave, apparently that is not the case. Saturday morning at 4am the power turned off and turned right back on. Friday the electricity went off then on, off then on, off then on, three times within a 10 minute time period at 6pm.

Apparently it is not just happening here. I wonder what is going on with our nation's electrical grid.
I doubt it is due to CME's though.

new topics

top topics

join