It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Automatic Butcherbot Debones 1,500 Whole Chickens Per Hour

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
I didn't really know where to put this topic; please move if necessary. I thought maybe "society" because it is about how people relate to animals, technology, and "efficiency" in general.

I just find this so disturbing for some reason. Now, I eat meat, and I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meat, but there is something grisly about the use of technology and automation to "squeeze efficiency" out of something like killing living creatures. It bespeaks of a grim lack of affect and concern for our fellow beings and some kind of demented, cancer-like infestation of rationality to the point of horror. If society can do this to warm beating hearts in animal bodies, we must soberly ask ourselves what it is capable of doing to warm beating heats in human bodies?

This is from Popular Science:

The fastest human butchers can fully debone about 150 chickens per hour. That’s a lot of chickens! But the new Mayekawa Automatic Chicken Deboner easily bests it, masterfully breaking down a whopping 1,500 chickens in the same amount of time–which, if our math is correct, is ten times faster than a flesh-and-blood butcher.

Automatic chicken deboners are often faster than humans, but often do a poor job of butchering, as they have difficulty adjusting to the different sizes and shapes of poultry. You can’t simply cut every chicken in the same place, to the same depth, in the same way–you’ll end up with some good birds and some mangled birds. The Mayekawa addresses that problem with a custom-built camera setup that analyzes each chicken and then adjusts the butchering so as to cut to the right depth and in the right place.

And the ham boning machine:

edit on 12-7-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Reminds me that its time for lunch! Chicken sandwhich from the deli it is!

Just saying, people eat meat, if we hadnt our brains wouldnt have developed to make us as intelligent as we are (as a whole, not that some people dont lack common sense)

People can be vegetarian if the want, that doesnt bother me.........I dont bang on them for killing innocent vegetables.........

To equate animal production, to what humans do to humans is apples and oranges......

We already know the attrocities that humans can commit on each other, and we have since the dawn of our existence.......

Animals can be just as cruel as we are to each other, they just lack the technology
edit on 12-7-2011 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Not sure why this is a problem to be honest. The animals will be killed anyway, and doing it by machine will be no more inhumane than people doing it.
The only problem i can see with machines like these is the amount of jobs that will be lost, but in an age where technology is always advancing, there will always be something created to make our lives easier, or in other words, create the need for less human hands in the workplace.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
i dont eat meat cas i prefer animals were alive, i see them akin to my family. If i was starving things would be different. I am lucky enough to be able to choose not to eat meat. I find it sad how cold peeps can be to life and a machine like this is just horrible.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

This. This is why people should be vegetarian.

I have, have not missed meat in the least. In my opinion, eating meat is accepting ignorant slops from the system.

Try it.

www.meat.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Cool stuff, I just love robot machines, they look cool

So this means higher unemployment and cheaper food prices I guess? Looks cool for the future, when no one have to work and everything is handled by robots

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by 2012king

The problem is that machines often miss, and cause lots of suffering. The "live hang" processing is disgusting.

Not only are most processed animals treated inhumanely, but they're stuffed chock full of antibiotic and growth hormone and are often times fed their own kind.

www.upc-online.org...

This is why I buy all my meat and dairy from a local farm. Everything is done by hand, they respect their animals, nothing is irradiated or bathed in ammonia during processing. They are organic and most importantly for some, the final product is tastier. It's a little more expensive, but I feel that my family and I are getting much more value when compared to cost.

If you really care about how these animals are treated, or more accurately, mistreated, I would advise buying local, fresh, hand processed meat and dairy.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Boneless humans... it's what's for dinner! (in the future)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I hope one day those machines don't do that....

TO US.

I can debone 3 in about 15 minutes. That's enough for a week.

I always debone my own because it is SO much cheaper and I have this weird belief that when I do stuff like that, it puts love- therefore good prana- in the food I feed my family.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

I just find this so disturbing for some reason. Now, I eat meat, and I don't think there is anything wrong with eating meat, but there is something grisly about the use of technology and automation to "squeeze efficiency" out of something like killing living creatures. It bespeaks of a grim lack of affect and concern for our fellow beings and some kind of demented, cancer-like infestation of rationality to the point of horror. If society can do this to warm beating hearts in animal bodies, we must soberly ask ourselves what it is capable of doing to warm beating heats in human bodies?

I agree with that. There is something just wrong about such a souless procedure. My parents raised eating chickens and rabbits for most of my childhood. As children will, these critters became pets...and when the time came for them to head to the freezer, I felt bad, even remorseful... Didn't keep me from eating my share, but shouldn't we feel something when we take a life?

...and yes, I hunt and have killed deer and game birds. I've butchered fish in the commercial fishing industry. Yet I don't think I can ever bring myself to forget that these creatures are as much a part of creation as I am...

It just seems souless of us not to take a moment to remember that these are living, breathing creatures worthy of some modicum of respect.

As a disclaimer, I am in no way advocating for "human" rights for animals. I am, however, advocating that we respect the life we are taking.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Ib bizarro land, we re enact the matrix using chickens, The Matrix Re-chickened

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
Ib bizarro land, we re enact the matrix using chickens, The Matrix Re-chickened

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

link   
reply to post by Backslider

I understand what you are saying, and i respect your views on buying locally, however i usually find that buying from the local butchers can be up to twice as expensive as buying from a supermarket and that is always going to put people off.
I do sometimes buy meat from the butchers as it tastes nicer, however when i am shopping on a budget, i really dont care where i get it from as long as its cheap. I have a young family to support and i dont earn a fortune so thats always gonna be the way it works for me unless i win the lotto.
I am sure thats the way most people see it too, so until the prices in the local butchers can match the prices in the supermarkets (which is probably never going to happen ) most peope will buy cheap.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I understand the budget issue too.

When I first started getting concerned about what we were eating and where it came from I was kind of in the same boat. I joined a local food co-op.. The prices are amazing, in my area and most others I know about the food is local, fresh, and delicious. The co-op serves to reduce food costs by gathering participant orders and procuring bulk amounts of fresh foods from local farmers.

There is typically a small, voluntary donation ($5) to start, or you can donate more if you'd like. They also ask that you do some very small community service (2 hours / month in my co-op) which is really no problem. I volunteer at the co-op, do various things on distribution day and I've met some great friends there. The food is great, and it's about 1/2 the price I'd spend at a grocery store.

I strongly encourage people who really care what they are eating and where it comes from and WHO IS PROFITING from it to seek out your local food co-op.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

You have to purchase in large amounts. Lasts for a year at a time.

Even though I don't eat meat, the rest of my family does, and they only stock up about once a year. Close to a 750-800 dollar investment.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   

yum yum in my tum tum

Yet another example of how detached we (the collective, present company excluded, maybe) are from nature.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Well considering I work in the Butcher market, this machine will probably be taking away jobs in the near future. Which of course is going to suck. Well for me at least.

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Over the past few months there have been several times that I have bought chicken breasts with bones still attached to them; whereas, prior to that I never experienced such instances. It makes me wonder if this machine is being used on the chickens I buy at my grocery store OR if the butchers have just gotten that lazy.....

Anyhow, if the machine makes the process more efficient AND reduces costs that can be reflected in the price point, then I am cool with it.
edit on 12-7-2011 by Aggie Man because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
All these meat eaters bitching about how inhumane this is, is sooo hilarious to me. The way people get their meat is so sterilized these days that most people don't even realize that the meat they are consuming use to be ALIVE.

The only way I will eat meat is if I am starving and have to kill the animal myself. If everyone looked into the eyes of the meat they eat when the animal was alive, I guarantee there would be way more vegetarians.

But as far as the technology. I think its pretty awesome how far we've come.

My 2 cents

posted on Jul, 12 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustBreathe11
All these meat eaters bitching about how inhumane this is, is sooo hilarious to me. The way people get their meat is so sterilized these days that most people don't even realize that the meat they are consuming use to be ALIVE.

The only way I will eat meat is if I am starving and have to kill the animal myself. If everyone looked into the eyes of the meat they eat when the animal was alive, I guarantee there would be way more vegetarians.

But as far as the technology. I think its pretty awesome how far we've come.

My 2 cents

I doubt it, ive killed my own meat and processed it many times..........man has been doing it since he first was able to..........as well as other animals........

Were suppose to be vegan because killing animals is inhumane, and they are our bretheren? So why arent you mad at other animals for eating meat?

<<   2 >>

join