It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"If We Don't Have A RIGHT To Question A Police Officer Then We Are Living In A Police State!"

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrong
Reading all your comments is hilarious. None of you know anything about this woman yet you take her side. If you actually delved into the history of this woman, you will find that she's been arrested before at protests. Her whole sob story has been carefully crafted. It is all an act and you all unfortunately have fallen for it. Yay denying ignorance!

She was arrested at One protest.
What do you know about the cop in question that makes his side any more desirable?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Since I don't believe in violence as a solution to a problem, unlike the police, I can't say I agree with the Sovereign Citizen Movement, but I will say, from this point forward I will be employing one of their tactics, and that is filing leans against all LEO's personal property, that attempt to interact in my life without cause.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I Agree with your thread.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The people on ATS never cease to amaze me, out of all of the "bad cop" videos out there this wasn't one of them. She was NOT arrested for recording, she was NOT arrested for being "anti-police". She was arrested becuase she refused to back away, after being warned several times! Ever seen a police incident where crowds start to gather? cops will always tell people to get out of here and go home, they have a job to do, and don't need outside influences in the middle of it. If she had waited paitently until after the situation had been resolved I know for a fact the officers would have had no problem tlling her what was going on

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ABWarrior58
The people on ATS never cease to amaze me, out of all of the "bad cop" videos out there this wasn't one of them. She was NOT arrested for recording, she was NOT arrested for being "anti-police". She was arrested becuase she refused to back away, after being warned several times! Ever seen a police incident where crowds start to gather? cops will always tell people to get out of here and go home, they have a job to do, and don't need outside influences in the middle of it. If she had waited paitently until after the situation had been resolved I know for a fact the officers would have had no problem tlling her what was going on
Again, had she NOT had a camera, this "pig" would have just ignored her. He wanted his 15 mins of fame, and now he and his whole department has it. it was the cop who made contact not her, at no point in the video did she say a word until he noticed the camera and lost his cool
edit on 4-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Let me look into my dirty crystal ball,
What I see happening now is; people will see this, feel empowered incorrectly and incidents of engagement will rise, and we will see more videos like this, and the communication between citizen and on duty officer will worsen instead of get better.
The message is being contorted and bastardized and in the end will not improve an already bad situation.
edit on 4-7-2011 by HappilyEverAfter because: stet

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by HappilyEverAfter
Let me look into my dirty crystal ball,
What I see happening now is; people will see this, feel empowered incorrectly and incidents of engagement will rise, and we will see more videos like this, and the communication between citizen and on duty officer will worsen instead of get better.
The message is being contorted and bastardized and in the end will not improve an already bad situation.
edit on 4-7-2011 by HappilyEverAfter because: stet

Empowered to do what? film the LEO performing his job, attempting to ensure that the LEO acts professionally and in a civil matter? Once the camera comes out, the a#$ shows himself for who and what he is. You dont even need to have a camera, just hold a phone up like its got a camera and the LEO loses his mind. That badge is a power trip and deserves no respect anymore.
edit on 4-7-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

You're wrong unfortunately we will never know but I would guarantee that even without a camera the officers would have done the exact same thing, how do I know? Because I grew up in a law enforcement family, I've seen the job done. The "pig"(which is highly offensive and I take that personally) you speak of did nothing wrong. He gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave her way more warnings then she deserved. She had a crappy attitude and stayed that way the whole time. Due to all of this and people's misconception of this video is going to only increase the risk that officers face. Stupid people like yourself are now going to confront officers more often and cause more problems. YOU are what is wrong with America today.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

The cop posting here, as well as the cop arresting that woman, are clearly wrong.

You don't have to obey a police officer whenever they tell you to do something. The case laws I think are
Pennsylvania v Mimms, where the cops can order you out of a car if they think you're armed.

They have to reasonably suspect that you're armed though. Police do indeed have wide latitude under the umbrella of "safety," But it has to meet the bar of reasonable suspicion. Ybarra v Illinois states that cops can't search everyone, and Penn v Mimms says cops can only issue an order under the "reasonable, articulable suspicion" of "safety"

Good luck in court trying to reasonably articulate that a known activist of law enforcement standing on private property is an "immediate threat or danger to officer or public safety"

The reason the D.A. dropped charges against her is because he doesn't want the ACLU all up in his business ensuring his post prosecutorial career wouldn't include being elected treasurer of a garbage can.

On the flip side, because the arrest was clearly unlawful, case law including Plummer v State, John Bad Elk v US, and literally dozens and dozens of other SCOTUS cases, states that you clearly have the right to resist an unlawful arrest, to the point of shooting the dick cop right in the middle of his testosterone-supplement induced unibrow.

This poster, who is a cop, like the other cop, is a testament to the reason why citizens are antagonistic to police. You're a cop. Probably not a very good one either. You're not a lawyer, you're not a judge. The simple fact is that because you're a public safety SERVANT you've been federalized and brainwashed into believing that you can issue orders and the public has to comply. You forgot that the orders have to be LAWFUL. You can't order a teenager out of her bikini, you can't order a black guy to pull up his pants, you can't order a guy to stop smoking a cigarette, and you definitely can't order a lady videotaping you in circumstances where you have no reasonable expectation of privacy to "go inside her house"

These cops aren't lawyers. They overstep their authority all the time. It's easy to do because the authority is so limited in scope. Just because you have a badge and a gun doesn't mean you're SPECIAL. You're a citizen too.

If that was my yard, and my house, if the cop gave me shizzle I'd give him lead. If I couldn't get to my gun and wound up getting arrested I'd bankrupt his sorry ass under 43 USC 1983.

Don't take crap from cops people. They're idiots. They're even stupider than the general public.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

reply to post by NuroSlam

You're wrong unfortunately we will never know but I would guarantee that even without a camera the officers would have done the exact same thing, how do I know? Because I grew up in a law enforcement family, I've seen the job done. The "pig"(which is highly offensive and I take that personally) you speak of did nothing wrong. He gave her the benefit of the doubt and gave her way more warnings then she deserved. She had a crappy attitude and stayed that way the whole time. Due to all of this and people's misconception of this video is going to only increase the risk that officers face. Stupid people like yourself are now going to confront officers more often and cause more problems. YOU are what is wrong with America today.

There were 3 people standing there. Only one was told to go inside and only one was arrested. Which one was it?
Hint: The one with the camera.

If these officers are going to be more at risk then it is probably going to be more due to the revenge ticket stunt than the arrest.
edit on 4-7-2011 by Youmakemewonder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Kitilani

You do have a right to question the police. The problem is people dont understand there is a time and place for that. A 3rd party trying to question an officer who is on a traffic stop is not the time nor place. Demanding answers from an officer during the middle of a call or questioning doesnt quite work either.

Then clearly the cop in her instance was by far in the wrong. Thank you finally explaining why you actually agree finally. Obviously during a traffic stop was not the time for him to divert his attention and question the woman. Not the time and place.

Ah yes, I see you still try to twist to support your argument. The lady had no right to intefere in the traffic stop. Her actions got the attention of the Police, and only escalated it when she decided to lecture the officer on her rights to be in her front yard and to record, which had nothing to do with the officers request, which was to back away.

Because of her refusal to comply wiht alawful command, she was arrested, andher video shows that. Maybe you and the others should watch her video, specifically the part when the officer states why she is under arrest, instead of ignoring it and jsut making up your own reasons why.

She was in the wrong. She had no right to refuse the request.

And yet she was right in the end.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

You do have a right to question the police. The problem is people dont understand there is a time and place for that. A 3rd party trying to question an officer who is on a traffic stop is not the time nor place. Demanding answers from an officer during the middle of a call or questioning doesnt quite work either.

While I understand people hate the police and so they are targeted because of it, how come you dont bother to go after the courts? Seriously, walk into a courtroom during the middle of a trial and question the judge and watch what happens.

While I understand the fear mongering peole like to do, they need to understand the law and how the system works before opening their mouths.

The guy was let go because no weapon was found in the vehicle, the driver had no warrants for his arrest, he had a valid license and proof of insurance. Exactly what would he be arrested for? Or are you suggesting that because the dirver was stopped and because he is black he should have been arrested?

Secondly, the lady was not arrested for recording the incident. She was arrested because she would not move back. A I have stated in other threads, you guys need to get that through your heads. She was NOT arrested because she was recording. Hell her own recording proves that.

I also find it intresting you guys ignore the females past history, namely the fact she has been arrested in the past for the exact same behavior while protesting foreclosures.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

You are a simple idiot. Usually when I see high content contrbutors, they often has somewhat worthy input on the discussions here. You fail miserably. For one second if you think it is a legitimate comparison; courtroom conduct, and how you would conduct yourself in expressing your rights if at any other "routine" stop, I will petition to have your stupid title removed. You, are the ignorance we dispise here.
You say the officer properly asked the lady to step back? And because of her failure to appease his insecure command, that is the reason she was arrested? Do you not think a bit deeper on aything? The reason he asked her to step back, and would of probably continued to ask even more if she was still able to record her friend, was so she as not able to record, because 8/10 officers have no clue how to uphold the constituton; your rights, and a proper traffc stop. Hence, they would prefer you not to record.
Make me sick
Go crawl back under your rock.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Youmakemewonder

umm again your wrong, it had nothing to do with her camera, she herself stated her freinds were on the porch of the house, where the officer didn't have a problem with them or her being, she shouldve just went to the porch.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   

umm again your wrong, it had nothing to do with her camera, she herself stated her freinds were on the porch of the house, where the officer didn't have a problem with them or her being, she shouldve just went to the porch.

He specifically told her to go inside

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

and I gaurantee if she went on her porch, he would've dropped it, again how do I know?
the officer said so himeself during the investigation
edit on 4-7-2011 by ABWarrior58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ABWarrior58

Again, if it is an unlawful order, you don't have to comply, and you have the right to resist unlawful arrest for failure to disobey that unlawful order with deadly force, if necessary.

Unlawful arrest is in fact armed battery. The cop couldn't lawfully order a person who wasn't reasonably articulable to be a "clear and immediate threat to officer or public safety" to do anything. You can't order someone to stop chewing bubble gum, or stop doing jumping jacks, or even hold up a sign that says "I shoot cops" next to your video camera.

Cop wrong, case dismissed, Roc PD hopes she doesn't sue civilly under 1983 and keep this story going.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by livefreeordieinnh

look the fact is if she just went inside or on her porch she couldve continued recording. She didn't have to give the cop attitude, it wasn't necessary

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by livefreeordieinnh

The simple fact is that because you're a public safety SERVANT you've been federalized and brainwashed into believing that you can issue orders and the public has to comply. You forgot that the orders have to be LAWFUL.

Well said. Well said indeed. "Servant" should be the operative word for cops. Our local cop cars sport a decal that says "The Servants of the People", but for many years my friends and I have referred to our local cops as "The Serpents of the People." It has a lot to do with the merciless bullying we suffered at their hands when we were younger. Usually for grave offenses like riding a motorcycle.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

and I gaurantee if she went on her porch, he would've dropped it, again how do I know?
the officer said so himeself during the investigation
edit on 4-7-2011 by ABWarrior58 because: (no reason given)

He only told the woman with the camera to leave her own lawn and go INSIDE her own house. He only arrested the woman with the camera for refusing to go inside her own house. How do I know? All that is on the video too.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

all your doing is comparing apples to oranges, they never asked her to stop recording, plain and simple. She refused to move, even after being told several times. again plain and simple.

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join