It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

You CAN say the same things about movies. I'm not saying video games take sole responsibility for people doing terrible things.

I'm not saying video games take sole responsibility for people doing terrible things.

Yes you are, and have been doing this since the past 20 pages now.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by Thatoneguy

News flash, I already posted that staggering number of people who play WOW. Doesn't that number alone tell you anything?. All the while there's more lives are being ruined, more slaves being created, more money for Activision Blizzard to figure more ways to recruit slaves.

Yes it tells me alot of people have good taste in entertainment. WoW is more about socializing and having fun that stabbing people with sworrds. Most people I know play with friends they know or even meet new people in the game.

I haven't played in probably a year but when I did I was playing with a friend of mine and his wife, two people I haven't seen in 10 years since we graduated school since he lives on the other side of the country. He's an officer in the Air Force with two children.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Butterbone

I would agree 100% that they deserve to be treated as a new and potentially great art form, or tool for education, or enlightenment. It's just a shame it's so far been mostly for adverse affects. Perhaps video games have a brighter future, but as of now, its pretty grim and dark.

I do think one can be born to murder. I also think factors in society can cause one to murder, including but not limited to video games.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   
This thread in highly speculative forum is also product of some admin-gamer that thinks killing people in games are the same like watching and drawing rainbows.

There is only one thing and I have seen it here a lot of times. People are simply not honest to each other. So, you will find hundreds of COD players and maybe only 1% of them can be honest enough to admit that in COD you only learn on things like killing people and war tactics to survive.

Also, it is very unfair fo that same people to say, there are no violent games at all. So I would just take you as prison in 1 little experiment. I will give you one big monitor and scariest game I could find, and then, I will force you to play 10,000 game hours.

You can only sleep, eat and go to bathroom, all other time you must have headphones, and watch at horror from game.

Now after this experiment, what will that person become?
People want to believe that if something is bad for people, that is not bad for them.
For any reason people think that they are strong and that games dont bother them. People here that reply and say games are not bad at all, you are weak minded, yes you are call me a troll, thats just your way of solving things.

Weak minded is if you cant be honest and say that violent games arent good.

And to admin who throw this thread to skunk, I just wish 10,000 hours of horror movies. Watch them with your children and your parents.

One bottom line, just because YOU THINK you are perfect, and are gamer that didnt kill anyone and have normal life, that dont means that violent games are good, or that you learn good things from it.
Gzz people, just be honest.

It is the same thing watching movie where you kill people, it is the same thing to read book where you kill people, it is the same thing to play video games where you people ----- THEY HARM you even if you didn't kill anyone in your life.

Skunk world? Yeah right, in your dreams admin. Im sick of that type of admins. They are stupid, but are holding power in its hands, and also they thing they are very intelligent and informed. No man, you are not, you are selfish liar.

Like McDonnalds, just because you like it, that don't mean it is healthy for you.
edit on 2-7-2011 by ferumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Really? It tells me millions of people are happy being a herd of cattle within another herd of cattle. I hate to quote a rapper, Lil Wayne, but he says "I got game within a game I got em' in".

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

It's just people doing what they enjoy doing, that's the point isn't it? Blizzard et al are all providing a service that there is demand for. As long as people want it they'll provide it. That's how our society works.

I will live my life enjoying what I enjoy doing not what you or anyone else thinks I should be doing

Obviously you enjoy looking down upon people and calling them cattle because they don't share your screwed up view on life, so you keep doing that if it makes you happy.

Goodbye.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Whats the big deal about www.littlelacysurprisepageant.com? All it is is something that gives you 5 stars so the cops come after you. lol come on man.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ferumbra

Okay, while I don't know what you're on about a gamer killing people and drawing rainbows, I do agree on your subjecting to some people for 10,000 hours of horrific images. Because guess what, It doesn't even take 10,000 hours to complete affect our psyche, our thoughts, our very being. And many gamers have probably even exceeded 10,000 hours. These games of war, false realities, and worse are in no way good for us, weather you enjoy them or not. Addictive, even manipulative. No matter how much you love them, they are terrible for our society and our world, and not a soul has yet to show me otherwise.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferumbra
This thread in highly speculative forum is also product of some gamer that thinks killing people in games are the same like watching and drawing rainbows.

There is only one thing and I have seen it here a lot of times. People are simply not honest to each other. So, you will find hundreds of COD players and maybe only 1% of them can be honest enough to admit that in COD you only learn on things like killing people and war tactics to survive.

Also, it is very unfair fo that same people to say, there are no violent games at all. So I would just take you as prison in 1 little experiment. I will give you one big monitor and scariest game I could find, and then, I will force you to play 10,000 game hours.

You can only sleep, eat and go to bathroom, all other time you must have headphones, and watch at horror from game.

Now after this experiment, what will that person become?
People want to believe that if something is bad for people, that is not bad for them.
For any reason people think that they are strong and that games dont bother them. People here that reply and say games are not bad at all, you are weak minded, yes you are call me a troll, thats just your way of solving things.

Weak minded is if you cant be honest and say that violent games arent good.

And to admin who throw this thread to skunk, I just wish 10,000 hours of horror movies. Watch them with your children and your parents.

One bottom line, just because YOU THINK you are perfect, and are gamer that didnt kill anyone and have normal life, that dont means that violent games are good, or that you learn good things from it.
Gzz people, just be honest.

It is the same thing watching movie where you kill people, it is the same thing to read book where you kill people, it is the same thing to play video games where you people ----- THEY HARM you even if you didn't kill anyone in your life.

Skunk world? Yeah right, in your dreams admin. Im sick of that type of admins. They are stupid, but are holding power in its hands, and also they thing they are very intelligent and informed. No man, you are not, you are selfish liar.

Like McDonnalds, just because you like it, that don't mean it is healthy for you.
I am living proof that everything you just said is bs. Ive been watching horror movies since i was a little little boy. Now i don't ever get scared easily. that's about all its done to me. Sure im into horror themed things now, I enjoy the sight of certain slaughter but that's only because its what I enjoyed as a child. My mother got me into it, i don't blame here, i thank her, because now i am a strong person mentally. It doesn't define who I am in any way shape or form. Im the most gentle and polite person you can meet, but at the same time i have a passive dark side to me that i often keep to myself, because people are intolerant of things they cannot understand. That alone proves some people need to evolve and or grow up.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

Is it that much of a stretch?

little lacy surprise pageant -

Why on god's green earth should those 4 words come together in any such way, much less in a video game? Do tell.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

You are living proof of anything as much as I am living proof that I am Jesus Christ. You do not speak for all of humanity just because you say you do, sorry.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thatoneguy
It's just people doing what they enjoy doing, that's the point isn't it? Blizzard et al are all providing a service that there is demand for. As long as people want it they'll provide it. That's how our society works.

I will live my life enjoying what I enjoy doing not what you or anyone else thinks I should be doing

Obviously you enjoy looking down upon people and calling them cattle because they don't share your screwed up view on life, so you keep doing that if it makes you happy.

You see, Mcdonallds provides food that people like, and they will provide it as long as people want it.
So you see, we now know that MC is not healthy.
But on other hand, millions will tell that MC is good and just leave people to do whatever they want.

Now we come to part when people want something that is not good.

The same thing is with violent games or horror movies.
Studies show how they can trigger bad things, but on other hand they dont trigger any good things.

We can argue on this, is shooting in games, throwing bombs, somehow good for us? Some people will go enough far to say that this is also good, build your reflexes or whatever.

It is like smoking, people hardly accept it is not good habit. Are there good reasons for smoke? Sure it is, it relaxes people. But we cant stay only on that and say that smoking is good.

If only goal of game is to kill people, monsters, with voices and screams from hell, where you see blown heads and such things, be honest, it "is" fun but it cant be and it isn't good thing.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Woah, did you just dock Silent Hill?

I take it that you've never actually played the game. I suggest starting with Silent Hill 2 since it is one of the greatest, most emotially-evoking classic video games ever distributed to us common folk. Play it and then you'll learn why it's got a lot of fans.

You see, Silent Hill is one of the best game series, IMO. First off, it's a Konami production. Secondly, the entire series has a first class soundtrack composed by Akira Yamaoka, with occasional vocals from Mary Elizabeth McGlynn and Joe Romersa. I'll admit that the story quality has deteriorated since perhaps the first three in the series, but it is still a solid game to play with interesting concepts (like in SH4).

Silent Hill is a series so unlike many other gore-filled predictable gorefest series like HALO or what Call of Duty turned into with all of this "Black Ops" and "Modern Warfare" crap. I do play these series too and the anti-Russian, pro-Capitalism propaganda is deafening. Games that play on stereotypes, specifically Cold War ones, are brainwashing people. Think about it; they are the most popular games because they comply with the populist mindset that is already provoked by things like in all social and mainstream media.

It's interesting to percieve this, since I've noticed that most people who play violent videogames with mediocre storyline and big multiplayer backing tend not to play such games that require you to THINK like Silent Hill does.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

I don't think anyone even thinks anything of it. I honestly didn't even know about it until now. Humanity must be very very weak minded then, in my opinion. Its just entertainment, everyone likes different things. I can go from listening to Beethoven to listening to death metal. I can watch a romance film to watching a fake snuff film. Variety is the spice of life. Get over it and deal with it. Dont worry about things you cant control.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

edit on 2-7-2011 by reesie45 because: double post

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Old resident evil games for example? I like those types of things where you have to figure out how to unlock some certain puzzle so on and so forth.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Yea? hookers, drug dealers, and slave traders supply services in demand too. That doesn't mean it's good for society alright? When you tell me how video games are good for us, I'll stop trying to prove how they are bad for us, because they are.

As I've said in response to another poster, maybe video games or virtual reality will have wonderful affects on humanity, while about 95% of you already think it does; I'm just waiting for one person to show me how so, and I will shut up.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Not a soul can show you otherwise because you decided before starting the thread that you had the only truth.

I've shown you that a very hardcore gamer can be a good parent, take responsibility for his creations by not allowing his own kids to play his own games, and then turned around and made educational games designed to save lives by allowing people to virtually handle dangerous materials and machinery. I survived WoW, and have beta tested so many MMO games I've lost count over the years. Planetside, World War II Online, Stargate, Tabula Rasa, Eve Online, Conan, Dungeons and Dragons, Lord of the Rings.
I've played just about every Pen and Paper role playing game available as well. I've taught my kids D&D, and Chess, and monopoly. My children are more informed about game mechanics, game theory, and the impact of stimulus on the brain at 13 than I was at 25. They have played countless hours of Fox and Goose, which is the oldest known board game to humanity.

Educational games have helped my kids get a better start academically than their peers. I've designed 5 games that help children with cancer understand how their treatment is going to work, and lets them play a part along side their own doctors avatar, to apply their treatment in a game format in which they CANNOT LOSE the game.
To inspire them to fight their disease and to help them understand why their treatment is so important. If they get close to losing the game, the AI steps in, tells them to relax and then the virtual doctor and nurse programmatic-ally win that level or round so that the child understands or at least feels like no matter what someone is there doing their best to make sure they win in their game and in real life.

And I'm not even a famous game developer. I'm super low man on the totem pole. Peter Molynuex works on video games between projects of designing life saving imaging technology and ballistic missile defense systems.

But you wouldn't know any of that because you just made your blanket judgement, and you are done. What you really want, is to just continue to rant at people over something you don't like.

Well too bad! Games are better than books and movies and tv combined, and they will be in the future, teaching, entertaining, training, and pacifying people long after you and I are dead.

Sorry.

The future listened to you, and then decided you were wrong.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Thanks for proving my entire thread. I will quote you once

"Well too bad! Games are better than books and movies and tv combined, and they will be in the future, teaching, entertaining, training, and pacifying people long after you and I are dead. "

Let me add, controlling, confusing, manipulating, harmful. They are better, and the point of this thread pal, is that just that. Better at controlling us. Hearding us. Numbing us. Thank you for your post.

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join