It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by reesie45
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Old resident evil games for example? I like those types of things where you have to figure out how to unlock some certain puzzle so on and so forth.

Yes, exactly. The older Resident Evil games were also among my favorite. It was actually a really damn good game series that took a stab at globalization and transnational corporations and corruption (since Umbrella Corporation was developing bio-organic weapons for anyone who would buy on the black market, including governments). I mean, this kind've stuff could be happening somewhere in the world right now. And then the storyline turned into a really predictable Hollywood-type storyline with cults and zombie leaches and other nonsense (like RE5, what a waste of money!).

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

People should GROW UP and DEAL with things. Move on, forget it even happened. Complaining wont do anything. its silly imo. If a game says mature on it, A child shouldn't play it. Same for movies. If its rated R they shouldn't watch it if they are not mentally developed enough to soak it up. Same for games. Its all about being responsible.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Old resident evil games for example? I like those types of things where you have to figure out how to unlock some certain puzzle so on and so forth.

Yes, exactly. The older Resident Evil games were also among my favorite. It was actually a really damn good game series that took a stab at globalization and transnational corporations and corruption (since Umbrella Corporation was developing bio-organic weapons for anyone who would buy on the black market, including governments). I mean, this kind've stuff could be happening somewhere in the world right now. And then the storyline turned into a really predictable Hollywood-type storyline with cults and zombie leaches and other nonsense (like RE5, what a waste of money!).
Oh man I agree, although i did enjoy the gameplay, I think that they could have done alot better. Sure a mutated zombie or something was cool as a boss or something but now they arent even zombies. lol wth is up with that? Did you hear about the newest RE game?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
OP,
Looks like some one didnt get a gameboy as a kid

On a serious note..dont like video games? Dont play video games

edit on 2-7-2011 by q_ball because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

You obviously aren't comprehending these sort of outlets have on humanity, much less just video games. We dont need an "everything is wrong with the world please stop whining". This is a discussion on video games, and it's sort of developing into two mutual sides discussing opposing opinions. Go derail another thread, I don't want your pity. If you have something to add pertaining to the the thread subject, do tell.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by q_ball

I enjoyed it as a kid, then I woke up. I had it all. Still do.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Did you hear about the newest RE game?

You mean that Operation Raccoon City travesty? Basically, they're making a 5th game taking place in Raccoon City. I like Outbreak for many reasons, though I've never got to play it online. They seem to be re-introducing it in a style ripped off straight from Left4Dead (and also by zombie mode in CoD games), except now you can place as a mercenary wearing nightvision goggles in full leather weilding a giant clever.

What ever happened to just playing a cop or a nurse or vigilante ex-STARS members running around in a city full of zombies?

edit on 2-7-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant

You obviously aren't comprehending these sort of outlets have on humanity, much less just video games. We dont need an "everything is wrong with the world please stop whining". This is a discussion on video games, and it's sort of developing into two mutual sides discussing opposing opinions. Go derail another thread, I don't want your pity. If you have something to add pertaining to the the thread subject, do tell.
Im not pitying you, I envy you.

You obviously are on a higher level than I am. This thread is about how video games are bad. Im talking about how they are not bad.

Why don't you fuss over music? Or television or movies? Know of a thing called freedom of choice? I think that plays a big role in this whole thing. Your logic is silly friend. Im not trying to make enemies just my opinion. Thats what this site is all about.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Thanks for proving my entire thread. I will quote you once

"Well too bad! Games are better than books and movies and tv combined, and they will be in the future, teaching, entertaining, training, and pacifying people long after you and I are dead. "

Let me add, controlling, confusing, manipulating, harmful. They are better, and the point of this thread pal, is that just that. Better at controlling us. Hearding us. Numbing us. Thank you for your post.

That's just silly. People need pacification. They need distractions. They need outlets. Herding. For Realz???
That's what society is dear. It is herding. It is controlling. Go take your shot at making an anarchist utopia.
You won't. Not even a little bit.

"Music has charms to soothe the savage breast" (by William Congreve, in The mourning bride, 1697)

Better put all music on your burn pile. It pacifies people as well. Oh and literature. And movies, and tv.

And Sports. The Romans used sports to pacify the throngs of plebs. And plays. They had plays.

And art. No more painting and drawing....

So really it won't be games that destroy our society, it will be the complete lack of creative outlets.

You won't be honest, so there isn't anything left. You've decided that video games are the ultimate evil out of all the ultimate evils all the other alarmists complain about.

So, let's sit quietly and watch reality unfold. How confident are you that your version will happen in your lifetime?

Cause I am very confident that my version will happen in my lifetime.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I disagree with your entire post (not your intention), and here's why:

I've been playing (slowed down a lot in the past couple of years) games since I was 11. I'm in the 25-30 range now. I've played the goriest of gory, the scariest of scary, the lamest of lame, and the most corrupt games ever put out on the market. However, I have never had the slightest inclination to perform harm on anybody. Why? Because I'm smart enough to separate the (enormous) difference between a video game and reality.

If you're willing to give kids enough credit to whereas they're "parenting" themselves, I would sure as hell hope you'd give them enough credit to be able to distinguish the difference between fantasy and reality. If anything, your post was quite offensive, but I'll leave that argument to the people who... come here to argue.

Just think twice before pointing your fingers aimlessly. Your post was pure nonsense. You need to do a LOT more research before you start placing the blame (of violence) on the children.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I am living proof that everything you just said is bs. Ive been watching horror movies since i was a little little boy. Now i don't ever get scared easily. that's about all its done to me. Sure im into horror themed things now, I enjoy the sight of certain slaughter but that's only because its what I enjoyed as a child. My mother got me into it, i don't blame here, i thank her, because now i am a strong person mentally. It doesn't define who I am in any way shape or form. Im the most gentle and polite person you can meet, but at the same time i have a passive dark side to me that i often keep to myself, because people are intolerant of things they cannot understand. That alone proves some people need to evolve and or grow up.

I do not seek for proof, I talk logic. Ive been watching horror movies too, I can watch them now but I simply do not want to do that anymore. I saw enough of that bs, there are nothing good in them.

And I say sick, just that. It is not problem about watching them, anyone can watch them, even kids, and they to that. It is something other that bothers me, and that is what is happening in our subconscious mind. So all that images you saw, all that sounds and events are forever part of you. You cant say now that you don't know how that might look like when you watched or even participate in it (game).

You cant say now it is enough, I don't want anymore of this images, thoughts, you know it man, you know what you will find when you stab someone and slice it to pieces. I don't say you will do that, but somebody will, and somebody will do that just the way they saw in some horror movie, or game. It is simple as that.

I think of myself also as gentle, that don't change things. You say you have dark side, we all do. You sounded like you are somehow bound to dark side. That things now we learn from movies, not from books. No wonder that you enjoy horrors. You are actually searching for magic, hidden knowledge, and knowledge is very close so you will choose:

1. You will gain more knowledge that think it is connected with your "dark side" and search for power
2. You will just continue doing nothing and enjoying horrors.

So, by the time when you learn that dark side can give you power but also takes away your freedom, you will learn for other types of power but now it will be to late, or it will be to hard to fight so powerful self to throw away everything that matters to him.
edit on 2-7-2011 by ferumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Listen folks, if you want to start a favorite video game thread or new upcoming game thread, go to another website. This is a separate discussion. There are several links and points no one has even commented on - I'll hold off and wait for some responses, but please do not derail this thread.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ferumbra

If someone does something because of something they saw on TV or heard in a song, or played in a game even. Its the parents fault. And that's it. Maybe the topic of discussion can be changed to parenting, because I know america seriously lacks good parenting. seriously

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

You've ignored quite a few posts yourself. If you'd like everybody else to further this discussion, I would highly suggest the OP be willing to do so as well. Picking and choosing the arguments you can "win" doesn't count.

Cheers,
Strype
edit on 2-7-2011 by Strype because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Listen folks, if you want to start a favorite video game thread or new upcoming game thread, go to another website. This is a separate discussion. There are several links and points no one has even commented on - I'll hold off and wait for some responses, but please do not derail this thread.

Please list your points that no one has commented on. Simple list. Not a sprawling ramble of "truths".

I'll "correct" them for you. Then you will refuse to acknowledge it. Then you will complain that no one is addressing your proof again.

Rinse

Repeat

But I'm willing.
edit on 2-7-2011 by Butterbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Apologize for going off topic by the way carry on.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Im not pitying you, I envy you.

You obviously are on a higher level than I am. This thread is about how video games are bad. Im talking about how they are not bad.

Why don't you fuss over music? Or television or movies? Know of a thing called freedom of choice? I think that plays a big role in this whole thing. Your logic is silly friend. Im not trying to make enemies just my opinion. Thats what this site is all about.

Kids who have access to these games WILL play these games. Just like they'll watch an R movie or Rap music. Freedom of choice, of course; children should freaking vote too. Sorry to inform you, YOUR logic is silly. VIDEO GAMES ARE SO FAR WORSE THAN SNEAKING A HORROR FILM OR RAP MUSIC! Being ingulfed in virtual worlds that include sex, pedophilia, extreme violence and I mean freaking WAR SIMULATORS for thousands of hours is simply not the same! Kids, People get ADDICTED to video games.. Will anyone tell me why this is accepted? They've got game within a game they've got us in! WAKE UP!!!

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Yes a child shouldn't be playing violent video games, but the Californian Supreme court says otherwise.

edition.cnn.com...

The Supreme Court has struck down a California law that would have banned selling "violent" video games to children, a case balancing free speech rights with consumer protection.

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Okay, while I don't know what you're on about a gamer killing people and drawing rainbows, I do agree on your subjecting to some people for 10,000 hours of horrific images. Because guess what, It doesn't even take 10,000 hours to complete affect our psyche, our thoughts, our very being. And many gamers have probably even exceeded 10,000 hours. These games of war, false realities, and worse are in no way good for us, weather you enjoy them or not. Addictive, even manipulative. No matter how much you love them, they are terrible for our society and our world, and not a soul has yet to show me otherwise.

Im just sometimes clumsy when I want to express some thoughts on English. I assumed that this thread was originally on some other forum, and that is trowed by admin here in highly speculative forum.

Yes, I believe that numbers you say is correct. There is no doubt at all that example 10,000 hours of horror will greatly affect any person. Now we still cant say that people will do something terrible after that, but they wont be the same like other people that didn't participate horror. It is all about ideas and thoughts we have. Things go in our head, but they don't go away like we think. We do not just forget things, they stay inside.

If 10,000 hours are not enough, make it 1 million hours. If that's not enough make more people and you will get billions/trillions of hours of horror and violent content watched/played by some people. You just can't say that violence will help people or world.

new topics

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join