It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For Those Of You That Have Actually Been To Area 51

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Good Evening,

I am going to Las Vegas, NV for a few days at the end of this month.

My friends and I were debating paying a visit to the good ol' top secret base that doesn't exist: Area 51.

I was wondering is it worth a visit? If so is it better to go during the night or the day? What is the likelihood that I will hear a sonic boom (I have been wanting my whole life to hear a sonic boom)? Is there anything to do out that way? Is it illegal to take pictures?

I just don't want to go and be super disappointed. I am not going to disturb the guards or anything like that. Mostly for bragging rights. I just want to go there and see if I can see any jets flying around and maybe hear a sonic boom. If I see something funky or strange that would be awesome.

Mostly I just want to see if it's worth the visit. Obviously some of the questions I asked I can find answers for elsewhere in this forum which I don't mind looking for. I just don't want to be disappointed and see absolutely nothing.

Thanks,

Dbloch

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Never been there myself, but I've always thought it would be a great adventure. Definitely a hot spot for strange lights.

If you are driving there, bring a camera with night vision.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
You can visit - but you can never leave!

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by dbloch7986

I've not been, but if you are talking about going to the border you will have very little chance of seeing or hearing any thing apart from the camo dudes, to hear a sonic boom would be a very rare thing, if you are going to be disappointed if you don't see anything I wouldn't go, all you'll see is a couple signs and some pick up trucks

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

If you want to do something in Las Vegas that does not involve gambling I highly suggest renting a car and driving around Red Rock Canyon. You will see the most beautiful dessert vistas and amazing rock formations. Even some ancient rock paintings. From what I have seen of pics of area 51 there is not much to see out that way. Flat land and sand.
If you do play the tables I wish you GOOD LUCK ! Come home with a fortune.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbloch7986

I was wondering is it worth a visit?

'Worth' depends on your expectations.

I am not going to disturb the guards or anything like that.
I just don't want to be disappointed and see absolutely nothing.

If you 'do not disturb the guards or anything like that', then you will very likely see 'absolutely nothing'.

I just want to go there and see if I can see any jets flying around and maybe hear a sonic boom.

You mean see an advanced secret jet flying around that you are not supposed to see. Not likely. It is their job to keep you from seeing it.

Sonic booms would more likely be heard originating from the adjoining Nellis range on a practice or training day.

Your OP states that you are planning a trip, and considering adding "the top secret base that doesn't exist" as one of your tourist destinations, and then wondering "Is it illegal to take pictures?".

You need to realize that what you a planning is called espionage. Do you have a good story cooked up to deny this charge if you get swooped and arrested? "What are you doing here?"

Spying on -any- military base in the US is illegal, done so from public or private land. Having photography equipment in your possesion with images of the area on it will certainly not help your case. Going there without any equipment seems like a bit of a waste of time yes?

I understand the upshot of what you are getting at, and hope to maybe see. Just be advised that this not a game to government forces.

If so is it better to go during the night or the day?

Very hard to see jets at night. However security will see you day or night, doesn't matter. Use your zoom to see the guard shack high on the hilltop overlooking your area. Smile and say cheese.

Is there anything to do out that way?

Sure. Step out of your car and walk through the desert about 10 to 20 feet, and use a stick to move brush or rocks and discover amazing sensors of various kinds all around you.

Mostly for bragging rights...
...I just don't want to go and be super disappointed.

That is the chance you are taking. To see something they don't want you to see. They are good at their job.

If I see something funky or strange that would be awesome.

Now we're getting down to brass tacks. Obviously that is the real reason anyone goes out there. As I pointed out above, be aware of what you are up against, and the potential risks in doing so. It is up to you to make it "worth your while".

I see many video's on youtube from geniuses who drive out there in broad daylight, park near the entrance, set up lawn chairs and go "Hi we are here, could you please bring out the secret goodies now?"

I have not seen any successes using that method.

If you do your homework, then use your brain and some creativity, you just might get lucky.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I know people who have been inside it, all that's in it are planes. Just like any other Air force base.
edit on 13-6-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

Really? How many air force bases have RCS facilities?

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Quite a few actually, especially in Nevada.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I'd go for it man. Hearing a sonic boom is something that has always fascinated me since childhood, I hope you get to hear one. You may want to check out the Red Flag schedules..

Make sure you go hiking a safe distance from the perimeter and out of sight of the dudes. Perhaps they'll send the Pavehawk out to look for you and you'll get a bonus. Also, oversupply yourselves with water and a can of fixaflat is sound thinking imo. Good luck

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Think urinating over the borderline is a punishable offense?..incase one wanted a part of himself in area 51

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Pockets

I have had some of the best sonic booms of my life around the Nellis range. I witnessed one so strong it knocked a roof tile off the Little Alien. Generally the sonic booms occur at the north end of the range. The area from the back gate north to Reveille Peak (Cedar gate) is prime territory. You could park just south of Queen City Summit at the spot where you can see the range (i.e. get out of the hills at the actual summit). That would be the most likely place to see something fly, though maybe not the strongest sonic boom.

Other than the Nellis range, the only sonic booms I've heard have been at shuttle landings and test flights around Edwards. They are high altitude booms, and high altitude booms don't do much shaking. Around the Nellis range the booms are often at low altitude. They crack windows and in one lawsuit from a Hiko resident, cracked a foundation. [I'm a bit dubious of that one.]

The problem with going to the range is in one day you may not see anything. It really requires camping out their to see something other than camo dudes. If you like to do military monitoring via scanner, then you have something to do while waiting for "sonic" activity. Most people drive up their, don't see much activity, go to the Little Alien, but junk, and leave. With a scanner, you can hear bombing runs, test flights, Janets, etc.

I don't publish the Janet and test flight frequencies, but much of my Nellis intel is in this spreadsheet. It is based on actually monitored frequencies, published frequencies where available, and frequencies given out over the air. Many Nellis frequency lists are just internet trash.

Nellis frequency list (open office spreadsheet)

military air band scanners

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I've never been but have talked with several who have... Doesn't seem like much to do.You drive out into the middle of no where in a desert, than you come to a sign, that says you cant go past that point. Then.... That's about it...

Really....

I suppose there is a chance you might see a jet or something flying around. I mean, all it is, is a restricted area of Nellis Air Force Base....

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
I've never been but have talked with several who have... Doesn't seem like much to do.You drive out into the middle of no where in a desert, than you come to a sign, that says you cant go past that point. Then.... That's about it...

Really....

I suppose there is a chance you might see a jet or something flying around. I mean, all it is, is a restricted area of Nellis Air Force Base....

This is exactly it. It's a long dirt road and eventually you come to a fence with a sign telling you not to enter. There's pics around here of it somewhere. If you loiter there long enough a couple military guys will come out to see what your doing and tell you to leave.

Any thoughts of jumping the fence or going around the road though will not be met with as warm a reception i'd imagine.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Marrr

I wizzed over the border on Hawkeye Hill, but that was before they put up the nearby camera on a tower. I actually crossed the border by accident up there. Corners are very tricky when it comes to staying on our side. From Hawkeye Hill, you can see old border markers that are not part of the border anymore.

The last time I was at Roadblock Canyon, all the cameras were gone. The PIR detector was gone too. The border signs had been stolen. If you want to wiz undetected, that would be the spot. Of coursse, maybe they hide the camera better back there. The camo dudes will come out but keep their distance.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nosred

I don't think Fallon has a RCS. China Lake is in California. I'm all ears, so start enumerating those Nevada AFBs with RCS. Navy bases are OK to list.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

The Groom base security will not talk to you. If need be, they will send the sheriff, but this is highly unlikely. Security at Cedar Gate is with the TTR, so they will talk to civilians.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
I'm planning a trip there later in Aug, also on the way to Vegas.

I found this site helpful on getting some ideas on what to do, and how far NOT to push it ;-)

www.dreamlandresort.com...

We're probably gonna:

(1) stop for an Ale at the Lil Ale'in in Rachel, NV
(2) Check out the black gate
(3) Check out the Black Mailbox (that's white!)
(4) Get a dorky picture at the Warning signs on way to main gate.

And, camp for the night somewhere nearby, because a UFO sighting is like guaranteed, right?

edit on 13-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac
reply to post by kro32

The Groom base security will not talk to you. If need be, they will send the sheriff, but this is highly unlikely. Security at Cedar Gate is with the TTR, so they will talk to civilians.

Point was that somebody will come and investigate.

Whether security or the cops.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
A couple things that sounds more adventurous, with perhaps a better view of the base, but don't have time for this year:

(1) Powerlines overlook
(2) Hike Tikaboo Peak.

Apparently Sterling Peak off the 95 gives views to Papoose Lake ( at 45 miles distant though)

Maybe next year .....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join