It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uncalled For Attacks On Moderators

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Exactly my point - instead of addressing ALL of my post, you take one small part of it and use it for your own ends.

Puerile indeed.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
They are never shutting me up.

Yeah, I learned that long ago...

They would like to share more but posts like, "This guy said this and he's a moderator"? really turn a lot of the staff off of posting.

Please, please, PLEASE don't let the people stop you from posting, mods! I for one miss your posts terribly! I miss the deep and decent discussions. Please spread the word back there behind that curtain. There are some of us out here who REALLY would love to have more in depth discussions with people who know how.
So, you're just going to have to grow a thicker skin so this kind of nonsense doesn't keep you from posting.

Go tell everyone right now. Go on. I'll wait...

As to the OP, I have seen this kind of thing happening ever since I've been here but it does seem to be more prevalent lately. There seems to be an element on the board who can't seem to understand the concept of debating the ISSUE instead of the poster... and going after a mod's status is an easy mark. I usually call them out when I see them.

OK. I'm done.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hey BH - long time

I agree with pretty much everything you said - BUT maybe it's that time of year again...

Some newer members may not be aware that these things seem to go in cycles - something which seems like an obvious or relevant question has been asked before, many times.

Now, I'm off to write a BBQ thread about everything crap about this site, how the mods are nazi's, how we should be able to anti-star or flag, how we should get rid of threads that people don't agree with by calling them a hoax, and how ATS is a CIA/Christian/right wing/generally loony conspiracy, and how Simon is the alien overlord who controls the mods via thought transference and bags of gummy bears.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

They would like to share more but posts like, "This guy said this and he's a moderator"? really turn a lot of the staff off of posting.

Please, please, PLEASE don't let the people stop you from posting, mods! I for one miss your posts terribly! I miss the deep and decent discussions. Please spread the word back there behind that curtain. There are some of us out here who REALLY would love to have more in depth discussions with people who know how.
So, you're just going to have to grow a thicker skin so this kind of nonsense doesn't keep you from posting.

QFT and HERE HERE!!

Had to quote you lamely like that as I cant star in agreement.

Projectvxn is an absolutely cool person.. I understood where he was coming from and why.. supported him fully.. and I also see he can post more freely now since he doesnt have MOD attached to his name. IMO thats shameful. Shame on us members for allowing this and some of us participating in it. Mods are members.. its shameful that they have a target on them due to their status as babysitters and rule enforcers for those of us adults that cant handle rules.

I agree wholeheartedly with BH... PLEASE PLEASE post you guys.. I freely admit I need to learn more.. and you mods are here with so much more exposure to a variety of intertwining subjects than the majority of us posters. Some want to debate.. some of us just want to learn ( ahem.. me). Maxmars blew me a away one day with a post... we NEED more of this out of you guys.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

I'm glad you're back.

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Hey BH - long time

Yeah, it's good to see you.

I agree with pretty much everything you said - BUT maybe it's that time of year again...

Or that time of the month...

Now, I'm off to write a BBQ thread about everything crap about this site, how the mods are nazi's, how we should be able to anti-star or flag, how we should get rid of threads that people don't agree with by calling them a hoax, and how ATS is a CIA/Christian/right wing/generally loony conspiracy, and how Simon is the alien overlord who controls the mods via thought transference and bags of gummy bears.

Ooh! Send me a link. Sounds scrumptious!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I iz conversational handicapsed...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

awwww poor memoryshock

in say that tho cant be to handicapped with 22,533 posts

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I must admit that I have found that over time it is far easier not to express my opinion on certain subjects.

To do so is counter productive and adds to the workload of other volunteers on the board who then have to deal with the comments of those who simply wish to stick the boot in because I am a staff member with an opinion.

Its also easier to add comments, rather than start threads - although even then people assume that comments are moderators trying to steer or "exercise authority" over a subject matter - something I've been accused of on many occasions.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

But what if everyone who was repeatedly criticized (like me) felt that way? I know I probably create extra work for the mods sometimes because of my tendency to be harsh and create confrontation. People hate me, too.
Should I stop posting because I don't want to cause a fuss? Hell, that's why I'm here!

But seriously, I don't like to create extra work for the mods, but the complaint I've had all along about mods not posting is that many of the really good posters on ATS get invitations to be mods and then the weight of intelligent debaters shifts to the mod pool leaving the ... rest of us... to try and keep the quality of the board high. The more high-quality posters that 'disappear' into the mod pool, the fewer there are left posting on the board... and the result is lower quality content and a lower quality ATS in general.

If someone calls you out for being a mod with an opinion, either ignore it, edit it, link back to 'mods are people too' or let the community take care of it. It shouldn't stop you from posting with us.
We love and miss you!

*kiss-kiss for anyone who thinks I'm kissing the butt of neformore. It's not the first time I've thought about it*

Really, ATS could use some good debate on the main board. I don't even know the positions of many of you on the issues of today and I am really curious! ATS is going to be accused of having an official opinion whether you guys post or not. There are petty people who would use your mod status to criticize your opinion. Letting that send you into a silent corner where we never hear form you is ... well... cowardly. And it's not good for denying ignorance or having high quality content on ATS.

If you hadn't noticed, the quality of the board has gone down. We get closer and closer to being just like another popular similar board on the Internet that I wouldn't visit if you paid me. Many good people have left for this reason. And more will make that decision.

Jeez, I'm feeling brave and forthright this morning.
I'll probably regret saying all this later... Ignore at will.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I think part of the problem BH, is even though they feel that way early on, over time it has to get to grate on them. And then they start feeling just what neformore and others have described. I don't fault them for it, it's understandable.

What I'm thinking is we need to remove the word moderator from their avatars. Mods who post in a thread as members have a members avatar. Mods who post in a thread as a moderator have a generic avatar that identifies them as a moderator, and nothing else. Something like a generic ATS avatar with moderator, a moderator number or name, and that's all.

I'm not saying make them all mysterious. I'm saying create a clear distinction. It won't solve everything. Because as has been said, Some people just have to pick at what they perceive as authority.

Just a thought. Anyone else have ideas for solutions?
edit on 6/10/2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
If you hadn't noticed, the quality of the board has gone down.

Not really. It seems more or less the same to me.

I just think that as the board grows, it gets harder to familiarize yourself with the posters.

Originally posted by Klassified
What I'm thinking is we need to remove the word moderator from their avatars. Mods who post in a thread as members have a members avatar. Mods who post in a thread as a moderator have a generic avatar that identifies them as a moderator, and nothing else. Something like a generic ATS avatar with moderator, a moderator number or name, and that's all.

I had a similar thought yesterday. But I say do make it impossible to make the connection between the MOD profile and the mod's member profile.

It would truly liberate them.

SO, I hope you seriously consider this option.
edit on 10-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I've seen the disparaging remarks, also. "You posted this and you're a Mod?" "You should know better, you shouldn't be a Mod", kinda crap. It's quite annoying.

But you know what they say Nef, "it's lonely at the top". ha.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

You may be right. It would require two accounts. They would retain their member account as is. And they would have a mod account. Which would allow them to be logged into both at once, or seperate.

Whaddya think SO? Springer?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

I've always assumed some MODS just use sockpuppets. (When you have been here as long as I have, some of these accounts become obvious.) But that approach isn't really sufficient.

The MOD profile really should be rather anonymous--- just a MOD number as you suggest or something similar.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   
This might be a tad tangential, but as long as we're talking about Moderators......

I typically check the "who's here" list when I log on, to see "who's here".

Does it seem to anybody else, that almost the minute someone is made a mod, they disappear? Someone who is making 25 posts a day, becomes a Mod, then vanishes to logging in once a week?

Or is it just me?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

The MOD profile really should be rather anonymous--- just a MOD number as you suggest or something similar

That's funny. I can see it now "OMG, here comes the dreaded 666". lol.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I would like for everyone to notice that I have the last three posts.

I have single-handedly killed this thread.

Damn, I'm good.

edit on 6/10/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
This might be a tad tangential, but as long as we're talking about Moderators......

I typically check the "who's here" list when I log on, to see "who's here".

Does it seem to anybody else, that almost the minute someone is made a mod, they disappear? Someone who is making 25 posts a day, becomes a Mod, then vanishes to logging in once a week?

Or is it just me?

This is why I was saying I hope some members never become mods. We've lost enough quality members as it is. They're still here in name, but I think the pods from Invasion of the Body Snatchers got them while they were dozing on duty late one night.

edit on 6/10/2011 by Klassified because: I'll get it right yet. Just watch.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam

I've always assumed some MODS just use sockpuppets. (When you have been here as long as I have, some of these accounts become obvious.) But that approach isn't really sufficient.

The MOD profile really should be rather anonymous--- just a MOD number as you suggest or something similar.

I've thought that too. I wouldn't blame them. But you're right, it isn't sufficient to the task at hand.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Good then, I'm not the only one who's noticed it. I know it can't be as "fun" as being a member, and perhaps gets overwhelming at times. But yeah, there are probably five or six of them I only see a time or two a month, now.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join