It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Striking a blow to the beast? 'House GOP moves to bar ground troops in Libya'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Link

House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) has introduced a resolution on Libya that bars the use of any American ground troops in the North African nation and notes that President Barack Obama did not ask Congress for authorization to engage in a bombing campaign with NATO.

Boehner demands the White House turns over any internal documents related to Obama’s decision to participate in the NATO-led campaign to topple Qadhafi — referred to as “Operation Odyssey Dawn” by the Pentagon and “Unified Protector” by NATO — including “the President’s justification for not seeking authorization by Congress for the use of military force in Libya,” the “anticipated scope and duration” of U.S. participation in the Libyan campaign, and any information the White House has on Libyan rebel groups.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This may not be what all of us want, an immediate end to the conflict in Libya, but it is a step in the right direction. When taking into consideration exactly who drafted this legislation being proposed it does seem quite strong, positioning Boehner as the man trying to bring back congressional authority over war and make demands on what is the justification of this conflict. Perhaps this is minor legislation, that I do understand, and yes it is an attempt at halting even tougher legislation proposed by Kucinich, but it is legislation critical of the conflict nonetheless.

At least this legislation would stop any more entrenched involvement in the conflict, unless of course Obama decides to ignore the Congress. What I find interesting however is that now the Republican leader in the House (John Boehner) is the one calling out the President for his military endeavors instead of the Democratic leader in the House (Nancy Pelosi), who mind you, has spoken out now against both the Kucinich resolution and the Boehner resolution. Apparently they are not pro-war enough.

GOP fears Kucinish resolution
edit on 6/3/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
great post. it looks as though some in our political show are pulling cards and creating a good old political "mexican standoff"

I hope something comes of this although i fear it will be another false flag to spread fear, and create more laws to help us poor helpless souls..

thankfully Obama our savior is here to CHANGE the day.

edit on 6/3/2011 by -W1LL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Whoa, this guy can do something else besides cry? I'm shocked and impressed by his actions. Son of a bit...
edit on 3-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
They are all a load of #@$@#$#% heads

Obama is the suckiest liberal I have ever heard of, time and time again...

Glad some are trying to hault war

GO

Kucinich resolution or the Boehner resolution
edit on 3-6-2011 by Janky Red because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   

“Our loyalty to NATO and to our President, regardless of party affiliation, does not trump our loyalty to the United States Constitution,” Boehner added.
Here here! Someone who's got his priorities straight.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Paying lip service is all he is doing.
We shoulld not be there and we all know it.
He is probably looking for reputation or his 15 minutes of fame, well for something other than his name.
I wonder what the other hand is doing?

new topics

top topics

join