It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best martial art for survival when the brown stuff starts flying around

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

When you do your fighting, how do you pick the person you want to fight with? Do you attack them first? What do you do if they refuse to fight?
Just curious, its interesting from the point of psychology, as a few people have suggested that avoidance should be relied upon very heavily.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
reply to post by Testsubject3

I have to disagree with everything you posted. Ive been full force kicked and punched in the throat many times in a fight and all I got was a brief millisecond of discomfort and a sore throat for a few days. And Im no big muscle head either. Im 5'10 175lbs. A knee to the nads works IF you can land it. A man doesnt have to see a shot to the balls coming. As soon as he feels a brush to his thigh, instinct takes over and you will most likely miss.And I'm not sure about this (sarcasm) but I dont think anyone is going to stand still while you smash their knee. So unless you are greased lightning, kick like a mule and can hit that knee at the perfect angle with a reasonable amount of force, thats out of the question as well.
The first problem is too many people let an aggressor walk right up in their face and start talking smack. I dont play that game. As soon as you start acting aggressive and get within striking distance-fight on.Its called reasonable fear of personal bodily injury and its perfectly legal in most states. I prefer the shot to the face followed by a fast double leg or single leg take down.Distraction and action as I call it. That way I can choke them out or break a limb ricky tick and dont have to worry much about getting their herpagonnasyphilitis with HIV complications infested body fluids all over me.

The knee can only take a hit of 8 psi from any angle that isn't direct front, or direct back. (when people stand to fight, they turn sideways, putting the side of there knee forward, the most dangerous position your knee can ever be in.) That is like... effortless to produce in a kick. Nor do you have to be greased lightning either, since the travel distance from the ground to their knee is awfully small.

I've been in maybe 15 fights in my life, and in about 6 of them I've landed a back of the knee kick to drop my opponent. Had I wanted to destroy his life, I could of blew out his knee like 30 times over before the one oppertunity to get the back of the kee came. I've also been car jacked, in which I did break some ones leg. That is a story for another time, if interested... police were involved and everything.

Also, You cannot withstand a full force kick to the throat unless you saw it coming, and moved mostly out of the way, in the opposite direction the kick is going.

If you just stood there, and let me kick you in the neck, you would die... from a crushed esophagus. My front round kick was measured at 936 pounds of pressure. That is 200 pounds less than dropping a honda civic on your neck.

The one thing I agree with you on, is that if there is an obvious agressor that is GOING to fight, it's just a matter of time... then strike his knee while hes talking trash, and the fight will be over before it began. This is easier done... if you actually let him get in your face to talk his trash, as it reduces the travel distance between your feet and his unsuspecting knees.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by OoohLaDeDa

I rarely start a fight. Unless Im in traffic and then my road rage gets the best of me.I dont have to pick anybody. Im very outspoken and speak my mind. Commonly referred to as an a#*hole. And being a little guy (with little mans disease) I'm usually the target of someone. And I usually will strike first if they act aggressive and start moving towards me.
You may be a defense only when there is no other choice type guy or a non-violent. Thats great if thats who you are. Im not that guy. Maybe its PTSD, little mans disease, Maybe I got something to prove, I dont know. Its just who I am and I dont make excuses for it.
I also give free classes for battered women. They all think its weird that I dont preach avoidance also.
Im not a bad guy nor do I think Im a tough guy. I just enjoy the thrill of the fight. Now, we're clogging the forum with this banter, so I'd prefer if you have any more jabs to take at me- message me before we get a stern talking to from the moderator.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Truther9111776

ar15

baseball bat

The first two also eastern created. Gun powder.

In todays terms "Capinyoura$$" method. Up to 2500 yards or as little as zero.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

MCMAPS - Marine Corps Martial Arts Program

After having trained in several styles, the MCMAPS would be my recommendation for any beginner.

The best martial arts is one that prepares you to fight in 3 dimensions. One of which is fighting from the ground which is where most street fights end up.
Also, because you aren't wearing a Gi, but street clothing and shoes you also need to adjust your techniques accordingly. Another plus for MCMAPS.

Most formal martial arts styles do not teach this aspect of fighting and why a combination of styles is best. and why MCMAPS is a proven form of martial arts combining several styles to defend one's self in all 3 dimensions.

I began martial arts training with Tae Kwon Do under the 2nd highest ranking Black belt, Master Han Cha Kyo when he had first immigrated to the US after the end of the Vietnam War....where he instructed Special Forces.

Great style for beginners, good for outer perimeter defense if kicks aren't placed overly high.

After earning my Black Belt, I then began training privately under an ex Marine Recon (2 Tours in Vietnam) 3rd degree Shotokan Blackbelt learning Shotokan Karate combined with MCMAPS to learn how to really fight.
How to fall and roll returning to your feet in a fighting stance, How to fight externally and internally and from the ground if need be.

How to defend oneself against multiple assailants with weapons and most of all how to survive.

I then went to the University and met a Sifu from Hong Kong, a master in Lung Ying Kuen (Dragon) style kung fu.
Great for close in fighting due to the efficiency of blocking and striking at the same time as well as tying up your opponents and disabling them.

But finally The key with any martial arts practitioner is conditioning.
If you are in great condition it will always help you endure and survive an attack much better than if you are not.

UFC is great. They are great fighters but don't train to fight multiple assailants as MCMAPS teaches you.

Watch these UFC Fighters get whooped when outside the "Octagon".

And Don't watch it if Videos tend to bother you.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by j35us
I really think most of this martial arts is going to be useless in the case of a major social/governmental breakdown. It's going to be more important to focus on guerrilla hit and run tactics because any sort of military force isn't going to just stand there while you walk up and attack them, they will be armed with combat knives and fully automatic weapons. These are not going to be people who will have an honest fight with a civilian, if they show hostility, they will get a bullet. Smartest move is going to be studying anatomy to learn the various weak points of the human body, studying various military battle gear to see where the reinforced sections are, and launching your attacks as quickly and quietly as possible so you still have a chance of walking away alive yourself. I'm not going to outright dismiss the use of martial arts/hand to hand skills, but the likelihood of being close enough to put them to use under a martial state is only high if you allow yourself to make contact immediately after installment of forces (during the round-up) or if you are found by a patrol, and in both situations (unless you have networked with others) will outnumber you to a degree that makes such an attack pure suicide.

I'd personally suggest just keeping yourself in good shape, studying guerrilla tactics, thinking about beneficial changes to those tactics (because all militaries study them), and above all knowing your enemy. Another good preparation would be investing some time into languages, it will aid in intelligence gathering from overheard troop conversations and in the event that you are caught could humanize you enough that foreign/nato troops will lose the ability to take the shot or give you a small window to make your own.

Just my two cents.

No, the martial arts isn't for fighting the state, or the military presence. It's for fighting the civilians that are criminals trying to capitalize on the down turn of society. Looters and Thieves, people stealing the food you need to survive because they didn't prepare... etc etc....

Also, for the people saying stand up MA gets owned by wrestlers.

It doesn't. This is a fallacy. In the UFC ring it will, because of something they call RULES. You can't strike to the knees or arm pits, the groin, or utilize small joint locks. They are all illegal. Not to mention Pressure points and back of the head punches to the GB20. A real black belt MA vs a wreslter should win in a real life environment nearly 100% of the time. Wrestlers have no experience fighting such fighters and as a result are extremely prone to being knocked around.

Also, every martial art, practically ever... will teach you take down defense. Anderson Silva is mostly a stand up fighter, his main style is stand up.... He has great Take Down Defense.... He's double as good, because he studies the tapes and knows what to do when he's on the ground.

MMA is easy in comparison to real life MA environments. MMA is bound withing safe and legal rules.... MMA is useless in a multiconfrontational fight, where as MA's are the only hard counter to that situation.

If i'm fighting 5 guys, and I got 1 in a clinch, what are 4 other people going to do to me?

Exactly.

Real martial arts is about using your environment to gain an advantage. It's out thinking a fight, not out fighting it. In a cage with no environment, the possibilites are severly limited.

In a parking lot, you can use a car to create space. You can also use it to give you more power by doing a mounted spring kick or vaulting it into a superman elbow. If at a bar, you can pick up bottles, kick stools, throw pool cues... use white chalking blocks to blind your assailent....

The idea with MA is movement. You need to stay out of the adversaries attack zone, whilst being in "safe" locations to land strikes of your own. If you are shot for a take down, Triangle Sprawl -> knee in the face/elbow to the back of the head, and move on to the next attacker.

Once you rock some one, you don't have to finish them in a group fight, you move on to the next guy to rock... and so on, and you keep them in a "pinned" down state. You use one attacker against another, utilizing something as simple as a forward push kick.

Martial Arts can never be demonstrated successfully outside of a real life, life or death, scenario since most of the tactics cause permanent damage and or death, and as such... to safely compete, you have to throttle back actual tactics as a result of safe competition.

Wreslting will almost certainly never win. Juijitsu or Judo has a chance... Judo is more likely beneficial since it too has a focus on multiple assailents.

1 on 1, any kind of ground fighting is indeed superior in a truely 100% equal environment, but sadly -- this just doesn't exist outside of an empty parking lot... And if that is the case, and it's a public place.... you are likely to not be in a 1 on 1 situation... which makes this kind of a pointless practice unless you desire to be an entertainer.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

I didnt say a kick to the knee doesnt work. I said its difficult to land correctly. Sounds like youve got it down pat. Good for you. Whatever it takes. I have just not been injured by a knee kick seriously ( yet?) outside of being sore and a slight tear of the miniscus tendon.
I'm a fighter. You dont think Im going to stand still in a fight and let any one hit me anywhere directly, do you? I may be a little off but Im not insane. Once again, its all relative to whos doing the hitting and where you are position wise when you get hit. Ive been stomped on the ground by a couple of guys and left with hardly a mark. And then Ive been hit in the face by one guy and been rocked and bruised up pretty bad afterwards.
How big a guy are you? I like those numbers on your kicks.I break ribs with my roundhouse and my numbers arent near that high. 720 on the right and 560 on the left.(been a while since I measured but right around there.) How'd you get so much power? I'd like to know if you dont mind sharing....

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Anyone who tells you to study just one single form is not a true martial artist. Every form has its strengths and weaknesses, and although some forms seem "better" than others, when it comes to true self defense, you can't just learn one. Bruce Lee taught that you must learn from many different disciplines to truly become a martial artist. Here's my suggestions (my opinion):

Krav Maga
Because it essentially isn't just one form. It utilizes many aspects of fighting. Therefore it could technically stand on its own. Krav Maga focuses on quick debilitating of your opponent through brutal counter attacks. It doesn't waste time or energy on showmanship or flashiness. It takes care of business.

Jujitsu
Although Krav Maga has its own grappling techniques, you can never learn enough "ground fighting". Many fights end up on the ground and you might need that extra skill set to gain the edge in a grapplefest. Jujitsu can provide that.

Shaolin Kung Fu
If you can find someone to actually teach you this, well done. I know there are schools in China where you actually go away to, leaving all technology behind and become completely isolated from the outside world. It's like bootcamp, without the political bs. You can leave at any time, and the Sifu might not necessarily care for your wellbeing while you're there. It's up to you to make it through the rigid training. The reason I recommend Shaolin Kung Fu is because it is also a mixture of different forms. Also, the training within this Wushu provides a mental and spiritual experience you won't find in the other forms mentioned.

Ninjutsu
This is an elusive one. It isn't actually a fighting form. Ninjutsu is the art of concealment and escape. If you believe that soldiers are going to be on the hunt for you, you will need to be an expert in Ninjutsu. It teaches many methods of meditation which must be practiced daily.

Supplemental Skills
Learn Parkour, also known as "urban gymnastics". This is the art of rapid progression through an urban environment in any direction. An expert "freerunner" can escape from any foe through any environment. This will supplement Ninjutsu.

As you can probably see, learning this many different forms can take years. Shaolin Kung Fu on its own can take years to master. Ninjutsu is a lifelong commitment that will change your life. It's up to you if you are willing to commit to really becoming a true human weapon. Also remember, Ninjutsu teaches that it is sometimes better to escape than to destroy your enemy.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I'm seeing some random comments in here of people saying...why don't we all agree to be friends and not fight etc. etc. To those people, I think you are missing the point and viewing the subject with a very narrow point of view.Many people will get along just fine, they will join up, trade supplies, relay news from one group to another. What you need to remember is not everybody is a good person, there are some real deranged people out there and knowing how to defend yourself in any situation is very important.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is an extremely versatile fighting style, and one that would lend a good foundation to build your skills upon. The idea in survival is to limit the amount of energy you spend on any given task. If your gonna dance around and throw punches, you are going to wear down. If you learn to deflect, counter, and subdue the opponent you can end a fight in a matter of seconds.

While I think having a good foundation of martial arts skills, I would still recommend avoiding physical hand to hand combat if at all possible. You increase you chance for injury, infection like some have said, and getting your @$$ kicked by a more formidable foe. Avoiding conflict, remaining relatively stealth in your actions (don't walk down the middle of main street), and being armed to deter would be attackers will be your best shot in a survival scenario.

S&F!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
I've decided that instead of pursuing martial arts training, I will keep a bear and a falcon as a pet. They will provide adequate protection as well as catch meals for me.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
All martial arts can be applied.You use whatever works for whatever situation.I suggest practicing some muy tai or kickboxing for standup then the clinch for infighting and grappling for the ground and maybe some knife fighting.That's all you need to practice really!

Only if your gun runs out of bullets though!Other then that..a nice sharp sword,and if you lose that then you have to go hand to hand!

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

Well said, I have been keeping up with the posts and trying to understand where people are coming from. Aikido has many defensive points most of it is using your attacker against himself. Also we often practice at taking on several people at once. Aikido may not be the some fantastic art as I have noticed most people delegate it to a low form. But it is easy to learn and keep practice. A small man can fight easy enough against a big man. It teaches patience, balance and as you gain greater technique your hits are meant for precise practical damage. Any one can be a baseball bat it take patience to be a scalpel.
I also saw someone say its best to not fight. I concur with this most of the time,Never one searching for a fight. In some situations say trying to protect your child who cannot run away. You will have to fight most the time, Unless you don't care about the kid.
Also The Op I believe mentioned who do you pick to fight. Most arts don't condone doing this. If it is a fight let the fight come to you. If you know its going to be a fight allow the most agressive one get in your face. While he is mouthing off end the fight sharp hit to the throat or solar plexus will quickly put him down. If it doesn't he is now in a great place for a knee to the face. Often times when you react this quick the others will be wary of you. They will not commit to the fight. If they are shaken they will make mistakes, You will be ready to capitalize on each mistake. Aikido teaches you to use all your senses, know your surrounding. It is not the end all be all of martial arts. But it works really well for me and is a great stepping stone into many other arts.
Therian

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by JayFlores

You should look more into was I said. I never said its a sure shot, but there is science behind it all. The throat, and when I said this I mean the frontal area, has the thyoid cartilage, thyroid gland( Adam's Apple), hyoid bone, Trachea( Wind Pipe) and vocal cord. All of these are critical point in the neck needed to sustain life(minus vocal cord) naturally. These points are also extremely unprotected relative to their dire function. Meaning it takes very little pounds of pressure to damage them. A jab to the throat from the cagina area of your hand (spot between the index finger and thumb) or a good firm direct punch has the potential to cause serious damage major one being a collapsed trachea. If you cant breath the last thing on your mind and finishing a fight.

Your mind will be to busy racing trying to figure out what the heck just happen you wont even be paying attention to the attacker. I take your word about being hit in the throat but a millisecond response is highly improbable if hit with any type of real force by someone especially with their foot. Choking someone out or strangling them is continued pressure on the area a direct punch or jab exerting even half that force is dangerous.

The knee, in reference the to the patella/hinge joint only needs about seven pounds of pressure to break at either three sides of the contact. So a blow from the front end would cause your knee area to hyperextend drastically pretty much immobilizing any normal person who isn't train to deal with such sharp and instant pains. The torn ligaments that go along with the hyperextention will make that leg useless giving you a extreme handicap in the fight early on.

Now a hit to the balls mainly the knee strike, depending on the person, is swift and precise even the most basic instinct/reflex wont be able to stop the speed and strength at that close of quarters( when the victim is in your face) so even a minor deflect do to fast reflex from feeling the knee touch your thigh/leg before the hit connects will only mitigate a small amount your still going to feel it and your still going to react in a vulnerable manner ( This doesn't include someone that preps the knee strike by cocking the leg back and striking, yes that can be seen and stopped easily). From that position it would be easy to grab someone head and force them down as your knee comes up. Its only a 2 to 3 second action tops and that with a untrained person, if your train in any from of MA or just athletic in general its a faster blow. In a crouched/leaned position someone grabbing your head firmly will in most cases be able to out strength your attempts and stand erect again not to mention at that position your already borderline off balance.

All of this is based on the fact that serve pain clouds the mind especially someone who isn't trained to fight through it, and if your mind is clouded it is known in some cases to hinder other function of the body such as the ability to see whats right in front of you hence why some fighter have said "never saw the second blow coming" when it was a clear as day haymaker. it also drastically lowers response time so even attempted strikes that could be easily block normally are able to hit full force. Again what I said stands true in some fights never said it will work on everyone, but definitely has high percent change of being successful in the begining of a fight.

Then again my motto has always been "shyt isn't going to go the way you think". So if Murphy's law is in full force your probably right, but legit statements none the less.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Testsubject3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I'd have to go with Wing Chun. Not only is it the easiest to get to grips with if you are a beginner but also very, very effective.

I've been doing this Martial Art for 22 years and it has saved my bacon on a few occassions. It is like having another natural reflex and it is adaptable with other forms of Martial Art or street fighting.

Go with it. You won't regret it.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Laokin

Even protection from raiding/looting during a period of civil unrest is a question more of situation. Different techniques will have different effect depending on where the confrontation takes place such as: indoors/outdoors, is the space cramped/littered with any kind of debris, how many working with you and how many against, and a multitude of other factors that don't conform to a single style of defense or any best method. I'd still suggest studying up on human anatomy and exploiting a felony law known as mayhem (disabling another to the extent they can no longer defend themselves, as in tendons, eyes, wrists, etc.) because it will end a conflict quickly. Those who aren't especially gifted fighters should get pressure points down as best they can. If it's a home make it so even the thought of trying to invade/loot is unacceptable by defending the grounds and making a certain portion of your defenses well known (obviously not all of them) as well as setting up a warning system. When out, travel in groups so it is harder to be caught by surprise or surrounded by hostiles (but don't forget to at least rig traps on the home that you know how to disable upon return). Create stash spots in the house or on parts of the property to keep important items like food, weapons, and medical supplies. There are no guarantees in combat/conflict and the best way to maintain the upper hand is to prepare for it. Different defensive arts may be a good tool but when tactics are employed (attempting their moves during night or when people are otherwise unprepared) will leave these useless. Also don't rely so much on firearms and rely more on some of the faster attack approaches when dealing with intruders inside the home or within about 10 ft.

I know I trailed off topic a bit here but its not always what moves you have but the amount of time you're aware you need them. It takes a long time to get the automated response down with many forms of defense and it would seem awareness and preparation could increase the chance for success regardless of what method is chosen.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
reply to post by Laokin

I didnt say a kick to the knee doesnt work. I said its difficult to land correctly. Sounds like youve got it down pat. Good for you. Whatever it takes. I have just not been injured by a knee kick seriously ( yet?) outside of being sore and a slight tear of the miniscus tendon.
I'm a fighter. You dont think Im going to stand still in a fight and let any one hit me anywhere directly, do you? I may be a little off but Im not insane. Once again, its all relative to whos doing the hitting and where you are position wise when you get hit. Ive been stomped on the ground by a couple of guys and left with hardly a mark. And then Ive been hit in the face by one guy and been rocked and bruised up pretty bad afterwards.
How big a guy are you? I like those numbers on your kicks.I break ribs with my roundhouse and my numbers arent near that high. 720 on the right and 560 on the left.(been a while since I measured but right around there.) How'd you get so much power? I'd like to know if you dont mind sharing....

I'm actually a little guy too.... 5'9" 145. I am pretty fast, and it sounds like you fight like I do. I too have been in a situation being stomped by multiple dudes, and walked away with hardly a scratch too...

I think... I honestly think, that is the exact reason why I got into Martial Arts. The commanding difference is very, very, Large. If I were to ever stomp some one on the ground, I'm sure I'd kill him, where as the guys stomping me, hadn't a clue what they were doing. That wasn't the end of the fight either, but that was the ONLY one outside competition that I was ever really in serious danger. It was also the one that made me seek martial arts....

I try to avoid fights, but seriously I have "target" problems too.... since I'm little, I was at DISNEY in orlando, and had a guy just spot me from like maybe 150 feet away, and just walk right up to me, in front of a bunch of my friends to push me and call me a faggot.

I didn't have to fight this guy, so I didn't.... but when it happens like that, you can't help but WANT to punch dude out.

How did I get so much power? Um. Practice, good instructor... but honestly, it was mostly my form. I boosted from about 580 to 900 with a correction of technique. I had the fortune of testing some software at the AAU Nationals in Florida that recorded you in real time, then overlayed the most "effective" technique over you which allows you to see when and where your form is broken.

By the way, to be honest that number is only that high on my Right Leg. Left leg is considerably worse... something like 620..... if I remember correctly... It's been about 3 years since I was in the competition circuit... so I can't remember the exact number... but I know it was in the 620's so I just went with the lowest possibility.

Never broke a rib with my round kick... Broke a few arms in competition... Broke ribs in competition with my back kicks though... which were rated at over a thousand. (again... right leg only, left leg was if I'm not mistaken 983.)

This is the reason in TKD competitions, you wear what they call a "Hogo" which is a chest protector of sorts. This is probably why my Round kicks didn't break any ribs either... but the hogo couldn't save a rib from my back kick...

That tool was about the best thing I had ever used... but I'm not sure if it ever became a commercial product...

I'mma do some research on it now... If I find anything I'll shoot you a PM.

Also, that number probably isn't fair, as it was the highest number I ever put up... (which was my most recent test, but it was at the peak of my competitive touring, and as such... I'm sure it's a bit lower now... but I bet it's still in the 800's or so...)

I also think my base output was so high because I'm naturally quick... and speed equates to power, even more so scaled with technique and form.

Fun conversation.... thanks for it...

P.S.

Flexibility will increase your power tremendously.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcellante

I'd have to go with Wing Chun. Not only is it the easiest to get to grips with if you are a beginner but also very, very effective.

I've been doing this Martial Art for 22 years and it has saved my bacon on a few occassions. It is like having another natural reflex and it is adaptable with other forms of Martial Art or street fighting.

Go with it. You won't regret it.

I should ammend my first post, because Wing Chun is also an EXCELLENT choice. It's like super effective (pardon the pun) against people who don't know any Martial Art, because it's movement is so much different than what people are used too... It's movement alone can be enough to have persuers back down.
edit on 29-5-2011 by Laokin because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by OoohLaDeDa
What do you reckon?
Wing chun?
Krav Magra?
Boxing?
Tai Chi?

Although USA and Canada can have guns, other countries wont have the luxury of having these to defend ourselves with. Assuming someone starts training now, which is the best to learn to protect our famillies and pets?

I would say Krav Maga. You can't go wrong wiwth that Russian heavy base street fighting. The russian even beat the Green Barets in an ultimate test. Wing Chun is too pretty and showlike for the backwoods fighting. Tai Chi, not fighting.....it's an art of illusionary fluidity and chi-realignment. Pretty much if you come at anyone at all with Tai Chi...they will rearrange your chi for you. Boxing...well, it's good to know, especially if you plan on running into any Kangaroo, say in Austrailia. Will come in handy fightin a Kangaroo. Boxig is pretty good for beating peoples faces in too I imagine. Try Jeet Kune Do and you can implement any martial arts all into one style. It's like a buffet of styles. They will never knpw whats coming at them at any given time.

I just thought I would add some footage here of some different styles, that I know, if I were in a tight situation,.. I would definately NOT want to mess with these guys. I would venture to say this is some of the most impressive martial artists on the planet today and their fluid moves and monster-like power speaks for itself.
These guys here are not to be taken lightly and for a normal person to try what these guys are doing would be very dangerous. Do not try what these guys are doing without years of training.

edit on 29-5-2011 by Phenomium because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Testsubject3

Shyte isnt always going to go as planned being the operative term here. Everyone is different and do things different. I just know what Ive experienced and I have yet to be put down with a shot to the throat or a kick to the knee. I have put people down with both( a Samoan bouncer at Cotton Eyed Joes in Tenn.with a ridge hand to the throat and a biker at The White Eagle in Florida with a kick to the knee. First ones that come to mind) and I know they are effective. I just prefer to grapple now due to the weird diseases out there and the fact that most people are like a fish out of water on the ground. That being said, most people dont stand stationary in a confrontation and this makes it hard to land a pre planned strike. I use whatever they give me and take advantage of it.
The only time I have ever been kneed in the balls was when I got in a fight 3 hours after having my knee worked on. Doc told me to walk. I walked to a fast food restaurant by my house and my worst enemy shows up. He saw the crutches and took advantage of the situation. The knee to the nads was the determining factor.Of course I was trying to balance myself with my weight mostly on 1 leg and trying to wrap his arms up, so I dont think that was fair. It hurt pretty bad, probably would have hurt worse had I not had pain killers in my system.
The point is-Some people do "A" some people do "B" and some people do A and B. Different strokes for different folks. When I get stopped by a throat strike or a knee kick, I'll let you know. Until then, I'll just keep doing what works for me. Some people swear that poking someone in the eye and hooking their nose works for them. They may win 100 fights like that. Doesnt mean Im gonna go do it first chance I get. I never have a plan in a fight. I train every day so my instincts will take over and I just do what I have to. Thats what works for me.

posted on May, 29 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by j35us
reply to post by Laokin

Even protection from raiding/looting during a period of civil unrest is a question more of situation. Different techniques will have different effect depending on where the confrontation takes place such as: indoors/outdoors, is the space cramped/littered with any kind of debris, how many working with you and how many against, and a multitude of other factors that don't conform to a single style of defense or any best method. I'd still suggest studying up on human anatomy and exploiting a felony law known as mayhem (disabling another to the extent they can no longer defend themselves, as in tendons, eyes, wrists, etc.) because it will end a conflict quickly. Those who aren't especially gifted fighters should get pressure points down as best they can. If it's a home make it so even the thought of trying to invade/loot is unacceptable by defending the grounds and making a certain portion of your defenses well known (obviously not all of them) as well as setting up a warning system. When out, travel in groups so it is harder to be caught by surprise or surrounded by hostiles (but don't forget to at least rig traps on the home that you know how to disable upon return). Create stash spots in the house or on parts of the property to keep important items like food, weapons, and medical supplies. There are no guarantees in combat/conflict and the best way to maintain the upper hand is to prepare for it. Different defensive arts may be a good tool but when tactics are employed (attempting their moves during night or when people are otherwise unprepared) will leave these useless. Also don't rely so much on firearms and rely more on some of the faster attack approaches when dealing with intruders inside the home or within about 10 ft.

I know I trailed off topic a bit here but its not always what moves you have but the amount of time you're aware you need them. It takes a long time to get the automated response down with many forms of defense and it would seem awareness and preparation could increase the chance for success regardless of what method is chosen.

Everything you said there is 100% true. The reason I listed the MA's that I did, was to possible hit the best general context settings as possible.

1 for make shift weapons, so if you are in a bar or the like, you have an advantage. 1 for take downs, take down defense and throws with lethal finishers, and 1 for when your opponents are at range.

Obviously every martial art is suited for a particular type of encounter...

The only thing I have to add, is that getting that automated response down is more a matter of personal ability and dedication as well as natural reflex and normal quick thinking. So, I believe for some people, it comes easy as butter, while other people need to work at it for quite some time...

There is no science for this... as it's so variable. Those that can get it fast, will always be the better fighters AFAIK.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join