It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seriously, is there any logical argument against gay marriage?

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by grahag

hey I'm definitely for broccoli gay marriage

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by quietlearner
thanks for calling me a bigot,

Anytime. Glad I could help.

its very revealing when someone resorts to name calling once they find out an argument that contradicts their beliefs.

You know what else is revealing? When someone makes up an extreme situation to support their straw man argument.

one example is:
if you were to take any argument advocation traditional marriage and replace it with gay marriage will they all be standing logical? the answer is no and therefore your example is invalid

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What is your issue with 2 consenting adults entering into a recognized union?
You can't use the argument that it could lead to people marrying animals or children as it's simply not logical.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

you clearly have no idea what im talking about
I will leave it at that

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by JR MacBeth
reply to post by jfj123

Well, you proved my point with your apparent inability to respond in a logical manner. You also demonstrated again, that you may have reading comprehension issues.

Ironically exactly what I was thinking about you

Don't worry, most people have a hard time with logic

Yes I've noticed based on your posts.

If you were bad at math, would you offer to correct someone's math papers? It's "just logic" I'm using here.

Actually you haven't used any yet....I'm waiting. Use a real logical argument against gay marriage. One that will actually stand up.

But my point is, one person after another bumbled into the trap, and knee-jerk agreed with the essentially preposterous OP question. In other words, the minute a person agreed with it, you would automatically be "wrong", because logic is actually the basis of language itself. You wouldn't be able to argue long, and certainly not for 34 pages (!), if there wasn't substance to deal with.

You love listening to yourself talk, don't you?

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

I will leave it at that

Maybe you should explain yourself a little better.
I'll leave it at that.

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

reply to post by jfj123

I will leave it at that

Maybe you should explain yourself a little better.
I'll leave it at that.

lets just leave it at that =)

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by quietlearner

Has been interesting, hasn't it quietlearner?

One of the reasons I come back to threads like this, in spite of the shear idiocy, is just to remind myself of how screwed up the world is. Yes, there is the entertainment value I suppose, but that doesn't come off sounding terribly noble.

The emotional part of the whole thing, well, I can understand, people have their "hot" topics, and anyone can succumb to visceral feelings of course. But page, after page, post after post, from the same people who apparently have no idea how foolish they sound. But then, the education system, it's seen better days...

Ah well, I've enjoyed your posts. Have a good evening!

JR

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

I've always been long-winded, but we all have our faults, don't we?

You for example, seem to prefer one-liners, that speak so much about you as it is, you need not bother with "too many" words. Besides, don't you get headaches when people use more than one sentence?

Oops! My apologies, too many words again...

JR

posted on May, 23 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Stop trying to manipulate.

I don't care - - in regards to the Expectations - - you state a a couple getting married "owes" to the government.

Many Heteros are choosing not to procreate.

Many Gays are choosing to procreate.

Yet - - - you want to place full responsibility on Gays.

Your Logic is flawed by your prejudice.

I never said any one "owes" anything

Hence the "quotes" - - its my interpretation to condense your points.

also I never said there were any "expectations"
I was referring to the expected outcome, there is a slight difference there

There is?

Not really.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   

reply to post by jfj123

I've always been long-winded, but we all have our faults, don't we?

You for example, seem to prefer one-liners, that speak so much about you as it is, you need not bother with "too many" words. Besides, don't you get headaches when people use more than one sentence?

Oops! My apologies, too many words again...

JR

Why waste words on someone who can't understand them?
Oops not enough words...sorry

I stand by my point. There have been no logical arguments against gay marriage. Sure there have been arguments but none of them have reasonable logic points. The arguments are in reality, excuses to hate a particular group of people. These same excuses have been used to prevent women from voting or from blacks from being free citizens.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

...stand by my point. There have been no logical arguments against gay marriage. Sure there have been arguments but none of them have reasonable logic points. The arguments are in reality, excuses to hate a particular group of people.

Keep repeating it, it will eventually be true! And if you keep that up, and teacher is going to hand you the pointy hat to wear for the day.

By the way jfj123, your bringing "hate" into it seems to indicate why you're having so much trouble digesting more complex ideas. In your one-dimensional outlook, your own words speak volumes: The arguments are in reality, excuses to hate a particular group of people. If that's your closed-minded attitude, that people who disagree with you are "haters", then there's little hope for you I'm afraid.

Clearly, you don't understand logic, so, like quietlearner, I guess we just have to "leave it at that".

JR

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Newish lurker, and just joined yesterday.

This is my first post.

GAY MARRIAGE - People continue to say it's against Christian values. I'm taken back by this, because as ATS members, I assume you are all aware that the bible was not written by god. It was handed down and edited to fit the needs of those in power. I consider myself spiritual and was raised a Catholic (even attended Catholic school for 5 years), but with proven propaganda over the course of history, how can you even think that a God which is all-loving would condone so much hate or intolerance (if that word makes you anti-people feel better)?

MY RELIGION - If you are a good person, and learn from your mistakes, you will have a good afterlife. If you are a bad person, you won't. That's the only way I can imagine any sort of God-like-being judging. No God teaches hate. Only those with political or social agendas teach that.

GAY ADOPTION - I know a few people around my age (25) that have gay parents and they are completely normal. None of them are even gay. GAY IS NOT A CHOICE, or an imposed lifestyle. The only thing that came out of gay adoption in respect to my friends, is genuine understanding and acceptance, which are things all parents should teach.
edit on 24-5-2011 by mahoosta because: I made a grammatical error

edit on 24-5-2011 by mahoosta because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

Why waste words on someone who can't understand them?
Oops not enough words...sorry

I stand by my point. There have been no logical arguments against gay marriage. Sure there have been arguments but none of them have reasonable logic points. The arguments are in reality, excuses to hate a particular group of people. These same excuses have been used to prevent women from voting or from blacks from being free citizens.

Right On! All I have seen are excuses.

And - - I too don't waste my time getting lost in a plethora of words. Its kind of a shame - - maybe they have a valid point - - but its a waste of my time to muddle through trying to find that point.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Clearly, you don't understand logic, so, like quietlearner, I guess we just have to "leave it at that".

You do not present Logic.

You present a rambling mish mash of excuses.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by mahoosta
Newish lurker, and just joined yesterday.

This is my first post.

GAY MARRIAGE - People continue to say it's against Christian values. I'm taken back by this, because as ATS members, I assume you are all aware that the bible was not written by god. It was handed down and edited to fit the needs of those in power.

I personally agree with you on the bible.

However - - - there are many Gay Christians. There is also a Gay Catholic church in Los Angeles.

There are alternate interpretations of the bible in regards to Homosexuality. People can Choose to accept/believe how they interpret these passages. Those who Choose the condemnation interpretation - - do so of their own free will. They Hate because they Choose to.

www.soulforce.org...

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag

Surrogates and in vitro fertilization are possibilities for procreation on the same-sex side. It's not a logical argument that if you can't reproduce, you shouldn't be married, because MANY married couples choose not to have kids or can't. Invalidating the marriages based on child-bearing status would be a cruel thing to do to people who already probably feel bad enough.

ok lets use surrogates
example a male/male couple
they have to use the body of a female for 9 months
also only one of them will donate their genes
the kid will not be blood related to one of them at all
can you foresee all the insecurity troubles the social troubles, the mental health troubles?
just because they can, my artificial means, create a life does not make them the same
as a hetero couple with their own child.
you say they feel bad? I'm sure they do
so lets not be cruel and give pamper them?
they feel bad -> lets not be cruel -> lets give them everything they want lol!
it actually makes sense!!

Giving them what they want sounds like a great idea. Ask any gay couple that wants to be married and they only want what hetero couples want. To be allowed to be legally married. It's happening in many places and will eventually be accepted just about everywhere within the next 50 or so years, I'd wager.

If your argument about only being related by blood to one of them is really serious, then we'll have to invalidate MANY more marriages based on stepchildren, surrogates, and adoptions. I'm adopted. Does that mean that my parents weren't legally married? I'm a bastard child? Ah well, it's just a label to me I suppose.

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by mahoosta

Welcome to a spirited conversation! Glad you decided to post!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag
reply to post by mahoosta

Welcome to a spirited conversation! Glad you decided to post!

:-) It's a conversation worth joining. Thank you!

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

You do not present Logic.

You present a rambling mish mash of excuses.

Ah, Annee, queen of the rivals, I see you on so many of those lists. Apparently for good reason.

Regarding logic, this isn't something you seem to know much about, so why comment on it? No doubt you have your strengths, for example, you're one of the more "emotional" posters I've noticed on ATS.

You also are excellent when it comes to random capitalization...

They Hate because they Choose to.

I could compliment you further, but sadly, you seem to be one of those who resort of the tired old labeling of anyone who even mildly disagrees with you, as a "HATER" (Oops, too many caps, sorry).

The world isn't black and white, bad guys don't all "hate" and wear ugly black hats either.

I might suggest that you try a little gray in your world (that odd red looks a tad unnatural anyway, IMO).

JR

posted on May, 24 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackrain17

Originally posted by AmrikazNightmar3
I never understood marriage, gay or otherwise. If you love someone, love them, why involve the government?

My 2 pennies.....

Gays don't give a crap about getting married and our government could care less about those fudge packers getting married. It's all about filing of income taxes as married or filing as two single people...

I love how you're speaking as if you know just exactly how they think. And if you think the government doesn't care, why don't you tell that to all the religious politicians who are making it their crucade to ban it outright.

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join