It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HazyChestNutz

I have always heard it was 27 grams of weight which cannot be accounted for at the moment of death, no matter the weight of said person...

And, E=MC^2. Meaning that energy is not created, nor is it destroyed. If energy leaves the body at death, to whence?

That's right, 'whence'.

Ahh, the mysteries...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I think that if he didn't sound like a computer when he spoke, then people wouldn't give a sh*t about what he says. That, and that look on his face. The guy's totally branded to be an authoritative source of some sort. Since that Outer Limits show, we've been pretty deferential to cyborgs and talking brains in jars, when it comes to science.

It's like a guy with a patch over is eye in a bar. He's probably a real pussy, but the patch makes you think twice about pissing him off.

Frankly, anyone who simply dimisses anything without a full treatise to back that dismissal to the fullest extent is a blowhard. I'm reading a book right now called BAD SCIENCE: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks (Ben Goldacre, Faber and Faber, Inc), and I'm finding that it's pretty common for crap like this to be paraded around as if it's unassailable wisdom by the MSM, without a shred of evidence to support any of it. Hawkings has no idea what is going on upstairs in his own house when he's home, let alone what's going on within pockets of reality that either exist or don't exist right behind him, in front of him, beside him or in between him.

He's a 21st century bleeding-leech doctor.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

That's a myth.

@above : so yo're dismissing his whole career, his work plus the fact that he put on paper some of the most interesting theories of the past decades, if not centuries, on the basis that he's crippled ? You must be a total waste of air, that guy is a genius, it doesn't make him wiser than most but it does certainly makes him far smarter than the guys who wrote the bunch of nonsense that you're reading.
edit on 16-5-2011 by BobbyTarass because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EnigmaticDill

The whole power structure is based on deceit. It is called the pyramid of satan or illuminati pyramid. Money itself is based on a pyramid scheme. What I peddle is not new age material but rather the true cosmic conflict scenario.

Yes you judge someone/something with its deeds, but when the church itself has been compromised thousands of years ago and it continues to hide anything it wants, the task of discovering the truth takes a llllooooongggg time.

None of this is an accident and in this sector of the universe satan seems more powerful than god!

link   
reply to post by spacedonk

I so love this statement..................

I was attached to the church for 16 years (of my own free will) Mother & Father not into religion at all, my choice!

I have now realised there is nothing out there.

Good for Steve being truthful in his thought.

Please Note : No Bible converter's, trying to tell me otherwise!!!

link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I just found this and please watch it, especially 9.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Wow, what a reaction. Such a touchy subject. Some of the attitudes to Stephen hawking are, quite frankly, very bad. Ironic that for those who believe in an afterlife (and thus who "controls/runs/oversees" it) the attitudes of many here precludes them from entering it!

That said it is quite enlightening on how many here on ATS are afraid of death. Once you die that's it tough deal with it. You WILL NOT MEET YOUR ALREADY DEAD LOVED ONES. Wake up to that fact and you will lead a much more productive life.

I always find it hilarious that spirits that communicate via a medium are very accurate at specifying certain facts 5 minutes "after connection" but have great difficulty in knowing their own name and/or names of their loved ones in the audience prior to "revelation of facts". Oh the naivety of the believer.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimnuggits
And, E=MC^2. Meaning that energy is not created, nor is it destroyed. If energy leaves the body at death, to whence?

um....that doesn't mean that energy is eternal - like a divine energizer bunny. Energy's not eternal. The 1st Law of Thermodynamics has nothing to do with an infinite/always source of energy, it has to do with the impossibility of a perpetual motion machine (basically). And E=MC^2 isn't the 1st Law of Thermodynamics anyway. It's just a statement concerning the relationship between mass and energy.

That "energy cannot be created nor destroyed" meme is a prime example of bad science, with the mainstream completely misunderstanding what that statement actually means and running off a cliff with their own interpretation without anyone from the scientific community straightening the confusion out. Then the new (wrong) version becomes an axiom, and it's never challenged again.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NorEaster
I think that if he didn't sound like a computer when he spoke, then people wouldn't give a sh*t about what he says. That, and that look on his face. The guy's totally branded to be an authoritative source of some sort. Since that Outer Limits show, we've been pretty deferential to cyborgs and talking brains in jars, when it comes to science.

It's like a guy with a patch over is eye in a bar. He's probably a real pussy, but the patch makes you think twice about pissing him off.

Frankly, anyone who simply dimisses anything without a full treatise to back that dismissal to the fullest extent is a blowhard. I'm reading a book right now called BAD SCIENCE: Quacks, Hacks, and Big Pharma Flacks (Ben Goldacre, Faber and Faber, Inc), and I'm finding that it's pretty common for crap like this to be paraded around as if it's unassailable wisdom by the MSM, without a shred of evidence to support any of it. Hawkings has no idea what is going on upstairs in his own house when he's home, let alone what's going on within pockets of reality that either exist or don't exist right behind him, in front of him, beside him or in between him.

Which shows you how little you know about the man. Out of all the scientists on this planet, he's probably in the top 10 that would be qualified to say whether or not heaven exists.

But I never like absolutes in cases of the unknown. Until I see proof, I'll say that it's unlikely that some magical place where all your dreams come true exists...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
As demonstrated by this thread the all mighty atheists always resort to mockery, conceit and underhanded insults. I've seen these arguments a thousand times and nothing much ever comes of them. But I do know through personal experience that atheists are the most judgmental (more so than bible thumpers), condescending, mean-spirited, and often most bitter people I've known. But Yeah the all mighty atheists opinion is absolute certainty, so they say along with small minded quips about "cloud people" and unicorns. Is there some atheist manifesto out there that you guys parrot ad naseam?

I'm agnostic by the way.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by grahag

Which shows you how little you know about the man. Out of all the scientists on this planet, he's probably in the top 10 that would be qualified to say whether or not heaven exists.

Really? Because he's hooked up to a computer? Or is it because he can't move? Maybe it's because he's got books out that claim to explain the nature of the universe? Seriously, what the hell makes him qualified to say anything at all about heaven, hell, or anything other than what it feels like to be entombed within his own body?

But I never like absolutes in cases of the unknown. Until I see proof, I'll say that it's unlikely that some magical place where all your dreams come true exists...

I don't believe in heaven either, but I can prove my assertions. Hawkings hasn't done the work to prove his opinion about the afterlife. Having him weigh in on the hereafter is like having Tom Brady pitch a major league baseball game. Brady has an arm, but he's way out of is environment on the mound.
edit on 5/16/2011 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

That "energy cannot be created nor destroyed" meme is a prime example of bad science, with the mainstream completely misunderstanding what that statement actually means and running off a cliff with their own interpretation without anyone from the scientific community straightening the confusion out. Then the new (wrong) version becomes an axiom, and it's never challenged again.

How can energy be created or destroyed? do you know what happens to particles at zero Kelvin? do they freeze, vanish into other states or form? does pressure become zero? does life stop to exist at zero Kelvin? Does energy stop to exist at zero kelvin? Is it possible to create and destroy energy above zero Kelvin???

Read experiments on super conductors and know the theory and the evidence and stop talkin no-sense

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by jimnuggits

I don't know how many additional 'dimensions' scientist/physicist/cosmologists believe are out there, but I know it is certainly more than the 3 (arguably 4) dimensions we perceieve around us.
Scientists can confidently state there are additional dimensions, and yet we are unable to perceive them!
What oes a 4 dimensional object llok like when it invades a 3 dimensional world? or what about a 3d reality as perceived by a 1 dimensional reality?
Our perceptions are limited by the boundaries of the dimensions we occupy. How can you explain something outside of our understanding and dimension in a language we can understand, when it doesn't accurately reflect an interpretation of the dimension because it's in a language we don't understand and therefore cannot interpret honestly?
Just a thought...

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

I have always heard it was 27 grams of weight which cannot be accounted for at the moment of death, no matter the weight of said person...

That's right, 'whence'.

Ahh, the mysteries...

The experiment originally has no merit whatsoever.

The soul is not physical and there has no physical mass.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

His qualifications as a physicist and cosmologist make him more qualified to determine the existence of a magical afterlife than more 99%. of the population. If he doesn't think it exists, I'm more likely to believe him based on his credentials alone. His thoughts on the existence of some dimension or alternate reality which might be heaven could probably be considered an expert opinion.

Remove the fact that he's physically crippled and has to use a computer to talk. Also keep in mind that his books were written so that the layman could understand them if that helps you gauge his qualification, because inside that crippled body resides a powerful mind which is very active.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

I can prove my assertions. Hawkings hasn't done the work to prove his opinion about the afterlife

Please submit your assertions!

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I've proven the soul and alternate dimensions to myself already.

Having what I know today as astrally projected I was foretold about life changing events that would happen the following day. Indeed, those events took place and was entirely out of my control.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

It depends by what you mean by dimension...consider time...is time simply a sequence of discrete events? if it is then it can be described by 3 dimensions...past, present, and future, Someone who sees time this way as discrete points may theoretically jump to any of the discrete points creating their own sequence or "timeline"

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I can say without a doubt that we continue on after "death". Hummm maybe it should be called our "new beginning".
Our spirit DOES continue on. Yes- I died once (in this life time) That's how I know.........been there done that kind of a thing.. indescribable in human terms. Close with "unconditional love" but it is as close as you get yet still a million miles away from what it is. Heaven---yes...and no. Not like it is written in the bible but it is like coming home. So amazing.........

I am also a lead investigator on our paranormal group........we continue on people!!!!! Death is Not the end. It's just the next step in our journey.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZforZionism
I've proven the soul and alternate dimensions to myself already.

Having what I know today as astrally projected I was foretold about life changing events that would happen the following day. Indeed, those events took place and was entirely out of my control.

Can you astral project to space and tell us why earth and other planets are hanging in space?

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join