It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: 'There is no heaven; it's a fairy story'

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

That wouldnt prove anything.. Like Obamas birth cirtificate or OBL if you want to think its true or a lie, you will think it.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TravisT

Originally posted by Cuervo

Originally posted by Cuervo

And as far as memory goes, it's stored in the cortex of the brain. You have sensory, short term, and long term. And if you're saying that the brain is the soul, well, again, it wont have any memory of it's past life, just like the computer wont register smoke as a memory source of a burnt up hard drive.

You are accepting rules for something we don't understand yet (memory) and making up rules for something that hasn't even been proven to exist (soul).

You are referencing the Atkinson-Shiffrin (sensory, long, short, etc) model which is just one of many. The truth is we have no proof of where (if anywhere) memory is located.
So you're saying that memory isn't stored in the brain, and can be stored, say, in your foot?

Regardless of "where exactly in the brain" memory is stored, it's stored in the brain. This changes nothing.

Again, that's an assumption. We know you are not able to recall memories without certain parts of your brain but that does not mean your memory is stored there. You can't recall memory if you have no heart but that does not mean it is stored in your heart.

There is truly no proof, whatsoever, of memories being actually contained in the brain. We can only prove that the brain facilitates the recollection of memories.
That's really the silliest thing I have ever heard. So if memories aren't stored in the brain, then can you show me these "other possibilities" that you speak of.

What other possibilities? If you are talking about other memory models, just google it, they aren't obscure. But even the Atkinson-Shiffrin model that you hold to does not prove the location of any memory. Think about it. All we have on memory (or even consciousness) are cause and effect experiments. None of them have proven anything other than what can or cannot facilitate certain functions on the brain.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Stephen Hawking just bought into scientific humanism. Who could blame him, having the scientific background he does. Humanism is a religion too by the way, and humanists themselves claimed it was a "faith" till Christians said, well if it is religion then Christianity must have the same status in schools as humanism. Even the Supreme Court declared humanism a religion. Then the humanists said, ok we are not a religion then, otherwise we cannot teach in schools. You know, the whole separation of church and state thing. Only because Christians challenged it did they decide they didin't want to be a religion.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
According to wikipedia:

The hippocampus is responsible for memory of spoken word and spatial learning. Your 'situational awareness' ability it seems.

The amygdala stores your emotional memory. Your emotional imprint, why you have pet peeves/fears/people you want to slap sometimes.

The Striatum is responsible for most of your cognitive memory apparently, you physical 'automatic' memory if you could call it that. This is relevant to martial arts and their ability to react automatically through training, or learning to type for example.

The Mammillary bodies aid in recognition from memory and somehow are involved with recognizing smells as well.

en.wikipedia.org...

Wikipedia references this book by this guy.
edit on 16-5-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemonkeydishwasher

Chill out, I am being facetious. Hawking is all right but he doesn’t know anything, even in physics he is no longer one of the top guys.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by anumohi

well unfortunately hawking never got to witness a soul leaving an animal at its last breath, its quite an awe inspiring event, it forces you to except the possibilities.

There are some things in life that defy all understanding and science. Many people witness such things every day. Stephen Hawking is a genius, yes. However, those with a scientific mind are notorious for finding it hard to believe in anything that is not explained through scientific methods. Does this mean that nothing outside of science exists? I don't think so. We have to acknowledge that there are things that occur all around us that defy logic and explanation. Understanding these things will be the key to understanding our origins and ourselves. We are more than flesh and bone.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedonk

You know what? So is Stephen Hawking (Re: a fairy story)

What has this guy contributed to anyones life? Really?

The only contribution that can really be cited as Hawking's own is that he had a major influence in bringing Pop-Physics to the masses. So what?

He has not contributed one iota to the problems of human suffering. So I would like to suggest that that makes his suggestion utterly absurd.

What is this? Some kind of *snip* icing on Stephen Hawking's *snip* Cake. Spare us all Stevie.
edit on 1-6-2011 by gallopinghordes because: please don't circumvent our censors.

edit on Thu, 02 Jun 2011 21:58:59 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

edit on 16-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
He's just an atheist you gotta feel sorry for him. I mean look at him! All those brains and no common sense,gotta be tough for him.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

What the Bible calls familiar spirits, are Demons. The Fallen Angels what we would call aliens are Demons.

The same thing the Egyptians and Myans got their advanced knowledge and how to control the human mind by perverting the condition by opressing the spirit.

The real trick is that we do not realize that the evil oppressed onto you is from an external source and not coming from your own mind which is what you would think.

I know because I had a first hand experience in knowing the truth.

The spirit is as a tree grows or the wind blows. Evil exists because pride, lust, greed, envy, rage, anger, hate and its all stemmed from ignorance or unbelief, that life subject to suffer this life for an inherent good. That you went against God, to justify your own ends unto the end.
edit on 16-5-2011 by EnigmaticDill because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frater210

You know what? So is Stephen Hawking (Re: a fairy story)

What has this guy contributed to anyones life? Really?

The only contribution that can really be cited as Hawking's own is that he had a major influence in bringing Pop-Physics to the masses. So what?

He has not contributed one iota to the problems of human suffering. So I would like to suggest that that makes his suggestion utterly absurd.

What is this? Some kind of Sh!t icing on Stephen Hawking's Sh$t Cake. Spare us all Stevie.

So because Steven Hawking, who is suffering quite obviously, hasn't contributed to human suffering in a way you can discern, makes everything he has to say about a completely different subject irrelevant?

You expect Steven Hawking, the professor, to go out of his way to help a random person, what do you want? What are you talking about?

What is Pop-Physics?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
When discussing reincarnation, people ask why they cannot remember past lives. It is really better sometimes not to remember the past life where we killed someone or were brutally murdered, as the new life is a way to live without such horrid memories. Spiritualists say the memories are stored in "akasha". Here is an interesting entry in wikipedia: "The akashic records (akasha is a Sanskrit word meaning "sky", "space" or "aether") is a term used in theosophy (and Anthroposophy) to describe a compendium of mystical knowledge encoded in a non-physical plane of existence. These records are described as containing all knowledge of human experience and the history of the cosmos. They are metaphorically described as a library; other analogies commonly found in discourse on the subject include a "universal supercomputer" and the "Mind of God". People who describe the records assert that they are constantly updated automatically and that they can be accessed through astral projection[1] or when someone is placed under deep hypnosis" en.wikipedia.org...
Edgar Cayce is also said to have been able to read the akashic records.
I personally have had two different readings by mystics, both of which reported a past life in France around the 15th century. So, is that why the French language comes so easily to me?
edit on 16-5-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Way to go Hawking for not being afraid to come out and say something that he believes! Whether it's true or not, it goes against most mainstream religions and he should NOT be hated for saying it. I've had to put up with tons of religious types trying to convert me through various ways in my life. That's what they believe, and that's just wonderful for them, but I have my own beliefs.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

If I was god I would go back in time and punish him for saying this

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmmo

No kidding. I would bet that if you asked anyone who has to work for him or with him they would say that he is a complete asshole.

It sounds to me like fame has just further twisted his already twisted little mind.

Because this is the second time I am hearing this crap from him. We got his opinion the first time. Why does he have to repeat himself and then it gets thrown all over by the MSM?

Because he is part of an agenda. Deny this ignorant little bastard

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

reply to post by mrmmo

No kidding. I would bet that if you asked anyone who has to work for him or with him they would say that he is a complete asshole.

It sounds to me like fame has just further twisted his already twisted little mind.

Because this is the second time I am hearing this crap from him. We got his opinion the first time. Why does he have to repeat himself and then it gets thrown all over by the MSM?

You have a frighteningly aggressive and uncompassionate view of a person who is all but totally handicapped, with the exception of his intelligence. Just because he says stuff you don't agree with you act like hes scum of the Earth, so I take it you've done something to contribute to the world that is superior than all "the crap" Steven Hawking has said and done or what?

Would I be out of line to call you somewhat of an idiot?

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

reply to post by mrmmo

I doubt a guy who is dependent on other people to do everything would be an asshole to them.
and I doubt he can even move, he literally couldn't be anything to anybody.

It's sad.. I even seen comments on youtube that read".

"if he believes in science so much, why isn't he able to fix his conditions" and other poking funs at his conditions.
If there were a religious fanatic in a wheel chair I would never poke fun at them.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Pop-Physics, as in popular physics as in books like these...

You know what I mean now.

I don't care if the guy is handicapped and he would not want me to I suspect.

If he is man enough to step up with this kind of claptrap than he is man enough to take the criticism.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I personally, believe there is an afterlife, but I love how so many people think they know there is/isn't an afterlife. That's the problem, you don't know.
Does anyone stop to think about how insignificant we all are; tiny specks, on a tiny speck of dirt, revolving around a tiny light in an incomprehensible (for our minds, at least) space.
It's so arrogant to even say you "know," when there could literally be anything out there.

Think about it this way, the technology we live around today was thought impossible a hundred years ago, and the technology a hundred years from now will probably be impossible to create in this day an age, if you apply that on a large scale, say, billions of years old super-advanced civilizations/beings, who is to say they couldn't create life, being that advanced? If these being(s) did create us, wouldn't that make it/them our masters, or, god(s)?

Maybe we're the "dim-wits" of the universe, having very limited mental capabilities, unable to wrap our minds around and comprehend the vastness of space (which I think it is impossible for us to fully understand)
Maybe we lack certain senses, for example, we use our eyes for seeing, and ears for hearing, etc.. What If there was more around us that we just couldn't "sense" because we don't have the means to do so?

That could mean it is possible for there to be a scientifically plausible afterlife.
No, not a "magic land of anything and fairy's and genies" that some people seem to imply when they say there isn't an afterlife, but something we just can't understand/comprehend.
Who knows? (No one)
That's just my thoughts.

posted on May, 16 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Sorry Stevo, but I've got my proof there is something beyond this flesh suit.

May want to try harder. What is up with this Hawkings guy recently?? From yakking about Aliens to now this...

Has he flipped?

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31  32 >>

join