It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK weather (especially in the South) - are we heading for a major drought this year?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I don't know about anyone else but I have noticed the lack of rain in what is meant to be Spring and one of the wettest months of the year - not one drop in the whole of April and March wasn't much good either

In the general parks around here have noticed the grass is starting to go brown (which doesn't normally happen until July/August time)...

So are we heading for a major drought this year?

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
You are not the only one concerned.

Heres a link to the weather forum and they are concerned as well.

weatherworld - uk

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thanks will have a nose

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
It looks like we should get a bit of rain in the south over the next week or so - though as always, not necessarily everywhere.

Here in south Worcestershire we've not had above average rainfall since October and both March and April have been exceptionally dry

One of the problems with southern England, especialy the SE, is that even with average rainfal we don't get enough to meet demand due to the high population plus industry demands.

Too early to say whether summer may redress the balance, though I'm guessing most hope it doesn't. The last very warm, dry, April was 2007. And we all know what happened next!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
just had a quick scan, I was out walking in Silchester last week and noticed the pond there was half full and the lake/resouvoir (sp?) was also half full - not a good sign

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by diddy1234

Just for the record, that's the forum I'm co-owner of. I hadn't seen the link before making my post above.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Yep the infamous hose-pipe ban and water 'trucks', all because the water companies weren't stopping the leaks from all their pipes

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by blackcat99

I think things have improved a bit. But at the moment I would not be surprised to see water restrictions this summer, and very surprised if some water authorities don't bring in hosepipe bans by June.

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I wouldn't be too worried. We go through this every year.

Also over the weekend in my neck of the woods (Hampshire) It is due to absolutely piss down.

Do not even try to have a BBQ Friday or Saturday!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by faceofcydonia

I am in Hampshire as well and noticed last time they forecast rain (I think it was last weekend) it never appeared, and they have just changed the weather forecase to a little bit of rain tomorrow and that is it....

Feel like doing a rain dance

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
just outside edinburgh here.. apart from a little bit of rain last saturday, weve been basking in the sunshine for two weeks
A worlds first for Scotland!

Drought on
us scots dont drink water unless its got a double measure of whisky in it

edit on 28-4-2011 by zeetroyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by zeetroyman

Yep that is very strange for Scotland - was up in the Shetland Islands (Unst) when I was a teenager and remember writing in a diary we had one day of the year where I was able to wear a T shirt!

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Residents living in Birstall, Leics., were stunned when a huge snow and hail shower swept overhead on an otherwise cloudless day. The 20-minute mini-blizzard at 5pm on Saturday afternoon left cars and roads under 3ins of snow and ice while just a mile away temperatures soared to 27.2C (81F).

In UK we usually see weather from all 4 seasons in one day

what I have noticed in the past few years is that if the weather is nice april-june, jul-sep is usually rain,rain and more rain!
SOURCE
RSOE EDIS

posted on Apr, 28 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Well I don't think it's droughts you need to worry about if this forecaster gets it right, which it seems he has done in the past..

September 2010:

February 2011

March 2011

April 2011

Going to get all those BBQ's done now while the going is good!!

new topics

top topics

join