It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Great Imposter: Two Movies Were Made on the Life of a Great Imposter (not as great as Obama?)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Based on a true story, a bright young man who hasn't the patience for the normal way of advancement finds that people rarely question you if your papers are in order. He becomes a marine, a monk, a surgeon onboard a Canadian Warship, an airline pilot and a prison warden.

Could he have one day become President?

The Great Impostor (1961)
Starring Tony Curtis
www.imdb.com...

Recently Leonardo DiCaprio did a similar film and Catch Me If You Can did not take as lighthearted an approach as The Great Imposter. But the two should be viewed side by side for comparison. Leo's Frank Abegnale is also spot-on, but I think I like Tony Curtis's performance a tad better.

Catch Me If You can
www.imdb.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I would say the talented mr riply would also fall under ur categorization, although not based on a true story
edit on 27-4-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ccponzi
Based on a true story, a bright young man who hasn't the patience for the normal way of advancement finds that people rarely question you if your papers are in order. He becomes a marine, a monk, a surgeon onboard a Canadian Warship, an airline pilot and a prison warden.

Could he have one day become President?

The Great Impostor (1961)
Starring Tony Curtis
www.imdb.com...

Recently Leonardo DiCaprio did a similar film and Catch Me If You Can did not take as lighthearted an approach as The Great Imposter. But the two should be viewed side by side for comparison. Leo's Frank Abegnale is also spot-on, but I think I like Tony Curtis's performance a tad better.

Catch Me If You can
www.imdb.com...

Isn't this Chit-Chat and Not Political Madness?

You are talking about movies.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
You mean Frank Abagnale?
en.wikipedia.org...

Is he running for president or something? I dont get it....

Or maybe youre saying that Obama took a page from Abagnales book and just ran with it. It is an amazing story, and we can learn a lot from it too. Perhaps the student has surpassed the master???

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by thegoods724
I would say the talented mr riply would also fall under ur categorization, although not based on a true story
edit on 27-4-2011 by thegoods724 because: (no reason given)

True. I'd forgotten about that particular movie.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProjectBlue
You mean Frank Abagnale?
en.wikipedia.org...

Is he running for president or something? I dont get it....

Or maybe youre saying that Obama took a page from Abagnales book and just ran with it. It is an amazing story, and we can learn a lot from it too. Perhaps the student has surpassed the master???

No. The hypothesis is that in America, a really great imposter can be a doctor, airline pilot or president........

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mudbeed
[

Isn't this Chit-Chat and Not Political Madness?

You are talking about movies.

And this from the Zen master of chit chat??

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Stereotyping the minority impostor:

Great imposters come in all forms
Author Cheryl MacDonald shares some of their stories
www.wellandtribune.ca...

Three of the more famous imposters MacDonald spoke of were Cassie Chadwick, Ferdinand Waldo Demara and Grey Owl.

Grey Owl, an English aristocrat who pretended to be an Indian in the 1930s did it to promote environmental measures such as protecting the beaver. MacDonald said he got away with it because he presented "a stereotypical image of an Indian." He played a "Hollywood Indian" that Canadians and Europeans could accept. The North Bay Nugget newspaper knew the truth but sat on the story until Grey Owl, really Archie Belaney, died. In the 1930s Depression people needed good news.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
In today's modern era though, it's simply too easy to fact-check and discover the fraud.

Back in the day that these guys ran their schemes, communication took much longer, financially, and to fact-check. That's why they moved around alot to pull this stuff.

These days, this info moves at the speed of light, so much harder.

To pull the same kinds of scams these days, you'd have to go to different nations, where the red tape may work to your advantage. Still, I don't see it surviving the vetting process for a Presidential candidate.

posted on Apr, 27 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Obama is doing what he's supposed to do: dirverting our attention from important details.

new topics

top topics

join