It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Price Gouging: Potassium Iodide

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I agree with what someone posted here. Just go purchase some iodized salt from the store and take however much a daily value is. Probably about a teaspoon or tablespoon. Should keep you protected...your thyroid at least... But to be perfectly honest, people. I really don't see this becoming too much of a problem for the MAJORITY of the United States!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by HaveAnotherOne

No unfortunatly its completly above the comprehension level of folks who have not had basic economics or those that perscribe to a collectivist economic ideology.
Here you go the penny tour.

You want it
They have it
What and how much are you willing to trade for it.

Thats it really its that simple. There is no such thing as "gouging". You have no right to a low price bargin! You cant force someone to sell you something at a price that you find fair. Wait actually you can do that by refusing to pay the posted price. Obviously someone is willing to pay $349.00 for the pills. Find a different source and if they have it for a lower price then buy from them. if you want to help other buyers then forward the new sellers information to the original seller and let them know that you purchased from someone else at a lower price.
No one is forcing you to buy at this price. Stop crying about it.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by billxam

Sadly this is how companies make money, They are griddy and don't care about anything else appart from money.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CraniumZ

What is griddy?

If you were attempting to say businesses are GREEDY, you couldn't be farther from the truth.

People go into business for one reason and one reason only: To make money.

If some ahem uh less than intelligent people are willing to pay $200 or more dollars for some pills they mistakenly believe they are going to need, then by all means, sell them said pills at the maximum price they are willing to pay.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with filling a demand for a product. When demand peaks and supply dwindles, prices rise. It shouldn't really be that hard for people to understand this very basic principle of economics.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Looks like price gouging is now going on in China over this same issue but with a different product, SALT, as per the article here:

Nuclear Crisis Sparks Salt Buying
2011-03-17

"Japan's atomic turmoil sparks a run on salt in China in the false belief it can guard against radiation exposure."

and deeper into the article:

"The shop-owners saw a business opportunity and pushed the price up high," said Xu, adding that a one yuan (15 U.S. cents) bag of salt now cost 10 yuan (U.S.$ 1.50)."

"By the time I got there, it had all sold out," he said."

Source: www.rfa.org...

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
There is nothing wrong with turning a profit, especially when ignorant sheep on the West coast are willing to pay ludicrous prices. If stupid people are going to panic, then they deserve to to be taken advantage of. Besides, if they, the purchaser, is happy with the product they purchased, and the seller is happy he/she got paid, whats the problem?
edit on 17-3-2011 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
While looking for xray shielding I noticed that the radiation protection sites are all out of potassuim iodide tablets. One of them was selling the drops, I bet he got them at the drugstore and pasted his lable on the bottle.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It is disturbing to see many of these ignorant replies are geared more to the posters hate or contempt for the western world, more than the actual problem going on.

Some have stated that the western US is ignorant sheeple. Others have stated it is the ignorant people in panic. Still others have said that it is simple economics.

Shame on you for calling anyone ignorant who is trying to take precautions now that something has been brought to their attention. I am sure you will be the people who are not prepared when disaster lands on your doorstep. Instead you will be busy looking for the next and biggest stone to throw at those you do not like, or more aptly, those you are jealous of.

How do any of you know that the Japan EarthQuake hasn't caused certain plates to become overbound with pressure? Pressure could result in a tectonic plate all the way around the world popping off and causing a major disaster.

Some of you are calling these people ignorant and sheeple, while others show their lament by ridiculing those for not be prepared.

Which is it? Are they ignorant for buying it or are they ignorant for not trying to buy it?

Be prepared and be stupid, be unprepared and be stupid.

Deny ignorance... not critical thinking that takes into account multiple outcomes.

I hope all of you, who decide to reply further, think long and hard about why you are going to call these people ignorant or why you are going to defend such price gouging practices, even if it is merely a single company doing it.

It is hard to believe some of you are condoning this type of practice and what is more disturbing is the fact that many of your negative responses are not directed at why the people are buying it or why the companies are selling at this price, but more so to do with their nationality and what you think about where they live.

Dispicable.

edit on 17-3-2011 by esteay812 because: tyops

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by esteay812

Nothing wrong with being prepared.

Whining about the prices of said preps is stupid. As another poster said, you do not have the right to buy something at the price you feel is appropriate. Spending $200 or more on KI pills is simply a waste of money. Spending that same $200 on food would be a smarter, and more responsible choice.

For the most part, the American people as a whole are in fact morons. They see the words RADIATION on their idiot box and immediately assume they are going to be harmed by it, without doing the slightest bit of research on the topic. They run out, buy up KI by the box without realizing what harmful effects could come from it.

Suckers deserved to be fleeced for the largest amount possible. It is the only way they will learn.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Only a moron would call an entire population of individual morons.

Been busy denying ignorance lately?

Didn't think so.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Actually, I said for the most part. I never said ALL.

Reading comprehension is not your specialty is it?

Obviously not.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by esteay812

Only a moron would call an entire population of individual morons.

Been busy denying ignorance lately?

Didn't think so.

Only a moron would wrongly identify another posters statements, then try to sound witty?

So who was denying ignorance? Surely your not suggesting yourself?

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   

let me re-phrase it for you, so you may understand better.

Only a moron would call a large portion of a population morons.

It is obvious you are filled with contempt for people in the western world. Funny that most contempt for others comes from jealousy, does yours?

If you don''t like it, you shouldn't talk about it. Anyone with any sense stays away from something they don't like, don't they? Those without good common sense tend to call names and speak without knowing what they are talking about, don't they? In doing this they show their true personality, making it easier for others to see them for what they are - pathetic, un-cultured buffoons .... for the most part.

I suppose that EarthQuakes do not happen in the USA or North America. Since they don't occur there, the North American or US population shouldnt take precuations when it is brought to their attention to do so. Thus, they should have to pay extremely high prices to be prepared for something that does not happen where they live.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I feel the need to ask:

Have you been drinking today? It is St. Patricks Day, so I am going to assume so. A sane, sober mind could not type out the fecal matter you just posted.

Look at the United States government. Is that symbolic of an educated, common sense having voter base? No, it isn't.

Enjoy your drinking.

Contempt for the western world? Think again kid.
edit on 17-3-2011 by HaveAnotherOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

The off-topic and rude remarks stops here. Moving forward please discuss the topic, not each other.

The Topic of this thread is Price Gouging: Potassium Iodide

Please review the following links:

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory – Please Review Link.

YOU are responsible for your own posts.

Moving forward all posts that do not fall within the Terms and Conditions will be subject to removal. Any continued violations after post removals may result in a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

Thank You

edit on 17/3/11 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Flighty

You can visit Nukepills.com. However, I don't believe potassium iodide will be needed by anyone in the U.S. because of Japan nuke plant. Radioactive Iodine only traveled 300 miles from Chernobyl. And it would dissipate over the ocean. AND has a half-life of 8 days. Not a threat that I can see. It is a good idea to keep some in case you are downwind of a U.S. nuke reactor though. Especially if you have kids. 7 year exp. date. $10 per person. Cheap insurance. BTW - another poster said just eat Morton salt. You would have to consume 5 cups of iodized table salt to equal the 100mg of iodine in a pill. That would kill you right there.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by romanmel

I wholesale Iosat Potassium Iodide to beprepared.com.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadoefax

Nukepills.com here. Something I forgot to mention. When Amazon suspended our account i could still login and see the orders (order #, product, quantity and price), but I could not click on the order number like usual and pull up the customer info - i.e. Name, address, etc.) Where I could normally 'click' was partially grayed out. We couldn't access customer info. Couldn't print a packing slip/receipt. Couldn't even individually cancel an order. I had to download a .csv order report, edit it, and then upload a large macro excel file to cancel ALL orders at once. I have no idea who the customers were because it wouldn't let me see. PLUS, they are STILL withholding all the funds from the orders I did ship prior to the suspension. Who knows when I'll see that money.

I'm still getting hate mail from idiots who don't bother to check that it is other individuals/companies selling Iosat on Amazon at the moment. Not us. Any schmo can sell Iosat. It's an OTC. Like selling aspirin. I just point these emailing nimrods to this thread with hopes that their ignorance can be cured.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rlybadjuju

That's B.S. The gov can't step in and tell Fleming or Anbex to stop selling KI. I know what that had in stock and I got the last of it. It takes a good 3-4 weeks to manufacturer a new batch of KI even if you have the raw pharm grade KI in stock. That company was just passing the buck.

posted on Mar, 17 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragoon01

No unfortunatly its completly above the comprehension level of folks who have not had basic economics or those that perscribe to a collectivist economic ideology.
Here you go the penny tour.

You want it
They have it
What and how much are you willing to trade for it.

Thats it really its that simple. There is no such thing as "gouging". You have no right to a low price bargin! You
cant force someone to sell you something at a price that you find fair. Wait actually you can do that by refusing

pay the posted price. Obviously someone is willing to pay $349.00 for the pills. Find a different source and if they have it for a lower price then buy from them. if you want to help other buyers then forward the new sellers information to the original seller and let them know that you purchased from someone else at a lower price.
No one is forcing you to buy at this price. Stop crying about it.

The point isn't about supply and demand. It's about how moral one culture is over the other. japan has lowered it's prices in some cases to help it's people...our culture, good old capitalism working perfectly, doesn't care about anything but the bottom line. We need to take a lesson from these good people!

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join