It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wis. GOP bypasses Dems, cuts collective bargaining

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Wis. GOP bypasses Dems, cuts collective bargaining

hosted.ap.org...

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate voted Wednesday night to strip nearly all collective bargaining rights from public workers after discovering a way to bypass the chamber's missing Democrats.

But Republicans on Wednesday split from the legislation the proposal to curtail union rights, which spends no money, and a special conference committee of state lawmakers approved the bill a short time later.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums: Copy The Exact Headline

edit on 9/3/11 by argentus because: fix broken link and change headline to reflect that of source

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The drama is over in Wisconsin, finally. Using this procedural mechanism, Walker was able to strip the barganing from the unions.

Look for governors all over the country to begin to look for these kinds of outs in their state constitution and that will be the end of the barganing of the public unions.

hosted.ap.org...
edit on 9-3-2011 by dolphinfan because: broken link

+34 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I say to this: GOOD! Kudos for the bravery of the wisconsin voter for finally reigning in the corruption rampant in the union ranks.

what needs to happen next is subpoenas, indictments, arraignments, grand juries, and convictions.

anybody within the unions' leaderships needs to be investigated and convicted for racketeering.

+31 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well...the dictator finally got his way.

Bad news for residents of Wisconsin.

The best news EVER for Democrats concerning the 2012 elections.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dolphinfan

Link is obviously broken

Here's a link to Yahoo! seems to be same text.

Seems they have enraged the union workers... Do you really think union leaders are going to care except that their profits, and more importantly, their power is dwindling.

The GOP's action in this is retarded.
The DEMs actions are just as retarded.

Performing austerity is NOT the way get anything done but piss off everyone.

Follow the money ... It will likely lead to a corrupt bankster that assisted the state in making bad investments. Blame/pursue that source and you'll make everyone happy ... those that matter, anyhow. =)

Nice find. Bad news; yet again.

edit on 3·9·11 by DrMattMaddix because: add link and stuff like that...

+36 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

He was voted into office by the people for his platform, he is doing the job he said he would. The only people who look bad are the cry baby democrats who left the damn state because they wouldn't get their way. The GOP has been bitch slapped for the past 3 years by the democrats and even then they didn't pull that crap.

ATTENTION PUBLIC EMPLOYEES, you have your jobs because the tax payers have the ability to employ and pay you. Now that the tax payers are tightening their belts it's your turn to do the same.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Also found this...

Not detracting from your post at all... BTW S&F !!!

This text may prove the meeting and vote ILLEGAL.

I dunno legalities; but it definitely needs to be read if you are at all interested in this developing story...

The law requires most public bodies to give 24 hours notice before they meet. The conference committee met with about two hours notice.

"This is a violation of law! It's not a rule!" Assembly Minority Leader Peter Barca (D-Kenosha) bellowed.

Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald (R-Juneau) ignored Barca and ordered the role to be taken. Republicans voted for the measure as Barca continued to plead with them to stop the vote.

BTW: I still think both sides are retarded. AND I just left WI because we saw some of this crap coming. (Dems followed my lead... but I'm not returning. They should do the same if they aren't fired sooner.)

Some of my nieces couldn't go to school when most of the teachers called in sick since they can't strike (in support.)
edit on 3·9·11 by DrMattMaddix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DrMattMaddix

I think its moot. Now that they have found a way to do it and can do it if the democrats are back there are not, to the extent that they have not waited long enough, they will go ahead and schedule one for Thursday night and vote on it again, with or without the democrats. Nothing the democrats can stop this particular bit of legislation

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
This shows how the "financial bill" is nothing but union busting and how our political system is set up to fail.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So who's buying all the public utilities????????

Those just went for sale as well correct?

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Throwback

partisan unionism holding the greater public at large hostage is the real dying paradigm. Unions will turn violent and I for one cant wait for the fallout. One cannot live perched immobile on the fence forever. Businesses are automatically evil because they generate a profit for those involved, and unions are anointed because they generate a profit for those involved. Hmmm. Now THERES a double standard in there somewhere.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I campaigned for Reagan and Oliver North, and I'm a registered republican.

The actions of this so-called governor remind me of something Reagan once said after he changed parties: "I didn't run away from the Democratic party, it ran away from me"

Between this bald-faced effort at union busting and that crook SOB Scot that just got elected here in Florida, I am on the verge of switching parties myself.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Is it me?

Does anyone else believe that it actually took the Repubs this long to figure out that they didn't need a quorum, if the members had refused to participte after ample opportunity to attend?

And, do you really think the Dems didn't know this as well?

I would not be very surprised if this turns out to be political theater my friends... the fact that the players have nothing to lose, but both corporations and workers do, may not be part of the equation.

Notice something... Union activism thus far has generally been simply to increase security and equity from the employer..... the opposing side has mostly fought and resisted the effort.

This is the flip-side. Except the opposition has become massive and elite by it's proximity to government; while now unions are pitted against the government..... does anyone else see shades of Machiavelli?

edit on 9-3-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Again Max, you nailed it.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303

*snip*

ATTENTION PUBLIC EMPLOYEES, you have your jobs because the tax payers have the ability to employ and pay you. Now that the tax payers are tightening their belts it's your turn to do the same.

You ever really look into why he lost the huge surplus he had when he took office? The workers are just a scape-goat for this financially inept Walker.

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   

+6 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Uneducated people assume that the unions are greedy, malevolent and just plain evil.

They probably aren't members of unions. They probably have bosses that make them work for #ty pay and benefits. They probably don't have adequate sick pay/vacation pay. They probably work more overtime than what's legally allowed (and their boss likely bribes the gov't to look the other way). They probably face retaliation if they even think of challenging their employer.

If you enjoy that kind of crap, more power to you.

But don't trample on the rights of other Americans to organize and fight for good benefits, pay and equity!

Who doesn't want a fair wage? Collective bargaining exists for that sole purpose!

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

If anything Republicans just made this up or only wanted to use this method as a last resort.

ETA: Actually, they waited this long because the union busting was hidden in a financial bill which had certain rules in order for it to be passed. They took out ALL financial aspects of the bill so they would'nt need the Democrats to vote. So now there still is NOT a balanced budget but there is union busting. The real motives are revealed to the public.
edit on 9-3-2011 by Throwback because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
What kills me is that people call the unions greedy and are upset at their benefits...but then say absolutely nothing to the billionaires from wall street and the financial industry that sent this country into a tail spin.....then we bailed them out...they are making record profits...they get their extended tax cuts....

So what's next?

Rape what little is left of the middle class...and by god they got the people to support it.

This nation is full of idiots.

At least we are following China's model of no unions....hmm...what's that mean???

posted on Mar, 9 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitch303

ATTENTION PUBLIC EMPLOYEES, you have your jobs because the tax payers have the ability to employ and pay you.

Uhh....no!

You are emplouyed because "the taxpayer" sees a need for provision of some service or other that "the taxpayer" has decided should not be in private hands.

Nothing more nor less.

Now that the tax payers are tightening their belts it's your turn to do the same.

This bit is true - as "the taxpayer" changes his/her mind about what should or should not be in private hands so the public service will shrink or grow.

But to deprive people of the ability to organise and collectively bargain just because they work for "the taxpayer" stinks of fascism TBH.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join