It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local labels on many foods are false, study suggests

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Local labels on many foods are false, study suggests

www.bbc.co.uk

Almost a fifth of foods labelled "local" in England and Wales are making the claim falsely, a study suggests.

Local Government Regulation inspectors tested 558 items in 300 shops, restaurants, markets and factories.

They found misleading labels including "Welsh lamb" which actually came from New Zealand, "Somerset butter" from Scotland and "Devon ham" from Denmark.

The LGR said 18% of the local claims were "undoubtedly false", with a further 14% unverifiable
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
looks like were being hoodwinked again folks and this is out of 558 items in 300 shops, restaurants, markets and factories. the one that kills me is "West Country fish fillets", where fish is caught in the West Country but filleted in China what a joke. although this is in the uk it maybe comming to a store near you lol. pity they arent as vigilant as to whats in these foods to start with. well 1 up for the consumer at least.

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
The best way to tell the TRUE origins of food, or any product is to learn how to read a bar code.. check out this link..

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TechVampyre

hey nice 1 tech very interesting i will look up more on this. have you any more links? thanks for that.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by kolcath

Reminds me of the Chinese honey scandal, where even honey from Indonesia / Korea is infected with the synthetic sugar because China owns the factories in those said countries. All sold in the U.S.

S+F

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by kolcath

hey nice 1 tech very interesting i will look up more on this. have you any more links? thanks for that.

You could check out online bar code decoders .. Decoders can tell You exactly what is stored on the bar codes..If you do some digging you can find out all kinds of stuff from a bar code.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

will do. its info thats good to know. thanks again.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
here's a solution:

buy it directly from the growers/producers, and not a grocery store.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechVampyre
The best way to tell the TRUE origins of food, or any product is to learn how to read a bar code.. check out this link..

Actually, if you really read that link you are incorrect...

The first 2 (sometimes 3) digits, which are called the “flag”, indicate in what country the bar code was issued. This “flag” does not tell you, however, in what country the product was produced.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

The first 2 (sometimes 3) digits, which are called the “flag”, indicate in what country the bar code was issued. This “flag” does not tell you, however, in what country the product was produced.

In most cases the food is packaged in the same country it is produced..So the bar code would reveal the origins in most cases.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Snopes covered this one.

I couldn't copy/paste so I screen grabbed, this again is from
Snopes

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e85c492e75b2.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Reminds me of what happens in Australia.
Chinese food products are being shipped to New Zealand and repackaged as NZ produce to get around the Australian quality laws that check imports from China.

Its a Disgrace.

www.7perth.com.au...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

In most cases the food is packaged in the same country it is produced..So the bar code would reveal the origins in most cases.

Im not sure if you read that.... The numbers indicate where the barcode was issued, not where the food was produced or packaged...

top topics

join