It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Confirmed!) We're hearing that police have joined the rally in WI after being asked to disperse th

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I thought by Sun they had to clear out, and Walker was not even allowing any protester into the building, etc?
Wi Capitol protesters have to leave Sunday

MJS is also a good place to get updates on what is going on.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MacSen191

ok, the post in the OP (Where i got the second story from.) said they had to be out by 4PM today.

Unless someone somewhere got that mixed up, then its going to be 4PM tomorrow.

talk about throwing a monkey wrench into the mix.

good eye!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

So , what is the Governor to do now ? Call out the State National Guard to " Police " The Police ?

+9 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I love how most people are still missing the bigger picture here, the money has run out all across the country. Unless you're a millionaire the good old days are over for the rest of us be it a union, gov't or non union employee and everyone is going to have to accept that. Each side can argue who's to blame or how we got here but the fact of the matter is the money is no longer available and the sooner it's realized the faster we can all work together to get out of this huge mess. The times of living in denial are over, once the fuel and food shortages take hold in this country the arguments over unions rights will be small potatoes compared the new struggles. Put your blind folds back on for as long as you can because reality is about to kick us all in the *ss with a boot so far wedged in we may never get it out.
edit on 26-2-2011 by Jeremiah Johnson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
If it's true, thos ecops need to be fired......
Hypocrasy and the badge don't go hand in hand.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

I understand that the state is broke. some of us get this point. but the theme of this thread is the fact is that firefighters, and some police that were ordered to remove these protesters have refused their orders & joined in on the unions cause.

Thats one hell of a political statement.

edit on 2/26/2011 by ugie1028 because: Grammar.... clarity... and a mentos

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

Thanks thats exactly how I feel really. The problem goes much further than these small governments.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Awesome! The ball may finally be starting to roll in the USA. While I agree with the poster futher back that said they are still missing the bigger picture - I believe the bigger picture is too detailed for the average person to understand. Getting mad is the first step!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

It's utter selfishness and another thing people going to protest from other states should but out, unless you live in Wisconsin stick to your own states affairs, chances are they may be worse off. I can say this coming from NY and it's a huge cluster**** here.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by byteshertz

Yes but not everyone is angry over the same issues, the only ones I see unifying people are high energy prices and food shortages. Most of us drive and we all have to eat so I know we all have those 2 factors in common regardless of background.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
with the budget money run out
basically they have 2 options:

1) Accept the pay cuts

2) Lose their jobs when the legislature cuts spending
on education.

I have remained silent on this for the most part.
But I will have to say there are millions of Americans
out of work, and a lot of Americans only working
part time jobs that pay a lot less than what they were
making before. Those folks have already sacrificed.
And if the teachers and state workers can't sacrifice
like the rest of us peons, then I have not one iota
of sympathy for them or their cause.

These teachers should realize that they are just affected
by this economic depression as the rest of us. They can't
live in their own lil bubble of financial security while the rest
of America suffers. I'm sorry, but those folks ain't one single
bit better than I am nor the millions of Americans already
suffering.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson

It's utter selfishness and another thing people going to protest from other states should but out, unless you live in Wisconsin stick to your own states affairs, chances are they may be worse off. I can say this coming from NY and it's a huge cluster**** here.

I have lots of friends on facebook (especially from wisconsin) that are posting video's after video's. Telling me to sign this petition and that petition. I also have a couple friends in N carolina (where i'm living at the moment) that are protesting in front of the State Capitol here (WTF?).

I try to explain the other side, but then I'm just looked at as a Republican who doesn't care about the average man, when it goes much further than the left right paradigm thing. Not a surprise here, been following this monetary thing for years and knew this was gonna start happening eventually.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
reply to post by ugie1028

So , what is the Governor to do now ? Call out the State National Guard to " Police " The Police ?

Nope. If I were Walker, I'd start layoffs Monday morning. The only way to end this obstructionist nonsense is to proceed down the only path they cannot block the governor from. When their jobs are on the line, watch how fast these unions that have held the American tax payer hostage with their attitudes of entitlement and absence of accountabillity buckle and decide that having a job without their "right" to a raise nobody else is getting in the middle of a depression is still a hell of a lot better than a pink slip.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, from what I have been reading the WI police did not take too kindly to the prank call situation where Walker discussed putting people in the crowds to start trouble. Cops are people too, with families and fears, a riot is just as dangerous and scary to them as it is the protesters. To hear that the governor planned or even entertained the idea that could and probably would cause a great deal of harm or death to the civilians and police, and that it may be planned as part his political belief is beyond unsettling. I would not be surprised if they told the governor to f off and join the protesters.
edit on 26-2-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I don't agree with the issue but america in one form or another has been subtly abused for years by its government.

America needs to stand up for itself sooner or later, what they first stand up for isn't as important as that they do.

Once america remembers it has a voice, then it will quickly learn what to say.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I don't think it should be made political, to me this is about what's best for state and country and for what will be better for us all in the end. To me this is about survival and common sense, no one is entitled to anything other than the rights given to us in the constitution. Life sucks sometimes, get a helmet and deal with it. I have no sympathy for the union folks, life is a struggle for most of us now and I have my own problems to worry about.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I just saw this scenario this evening on an episode of Archie Bunker's Place. I thought it was rather fitting that they'd be showing that particular episode today.
On the show, Archie's workers voted to join a union, but he tried firing the one who brought up the idea, and they all started picketing outside. It made for good comedy watching Archie and Murray try to run the place by themselves. And, this is the strength that union protests rely on... their employers being unable to continue the business without them. However, I'm not sure the protesters in this case have that advantage (I'm not overly familiar with the situation in Wisconsin, but, from what I understand, these particular protesters are less than irreplaceable). I doubt these protests will be as quickly and fairly settled as those on the show. Especially considering the tough financial situation the state has found itself in.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

For a second straight Saturday, tens of thousands of protesters have filled the streets around the state Capitol in what organizers hope will be the largest day yet in the continuing struggle to stop Gov. Scott Walker's plan to essentially end collective bargaining rights for most public employees.

Madison police spokesman Joel DeSpain said the number of protesters around the Capitol is on the scale of last Saturday's peak crowd of an estimated 68,000 and could swell even more for a 3 p.m. rally.

"We've had no problems," DeSpain said, adding that officers are again committed to keeping the Square "safe for democracy."

Law enforcement officers said they are only letting people into the Capitol as others exit.

Nearly 70,000 protesters participate in rally at Capitol

I also found this while digging.

twitpic.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
Nope. If I were Walker, I'd start layoffs Monday morning.

I am in agreement with that statement.
Rhode Island has already done so.
You can't squeeze gold out of a turnip.
I have sacrificed already to the tune
of losing one of the best jobs I ever
had and losing my house to foreclosure.

Am I suppose to sacrifice even more just
so teachers can make $100K a yr?
Me thinks not.

While I totally disagree with what Walker said on
that taped conversation about controlling the
protests. It still does not negate the fact that
IMO, his stance is correct on the political side.
And I'm not even Republican.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
with the budget money run out
basically they have 2 options:

1) Accept the pay cuts

2) Lose their jobs when the legislature cuts spending
on education.

I have mixed feelings on this to tell you the truth... thing is Walker was not willing to compromise on the bill. I heard that some changes that were introduced Scott Walker just flat out refused to listen. They agreed to take pension and health care cuts, etc, but refused to remove the collective barganing. Now, I frankly don't understand everything going on, but I think compromising should at least be considered. Of course, with the democrats taking off... I don't know.

Now, back to the subject... I read that a local sheriff dosen't think Walker should stop the protests, they have all been pretty peaceful and not really causing problems... the firefighters joined in as well....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join