It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Confirmed!) We're hearing that police have joined the rally in WI after being asked to disperse th

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+74 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

The Raw Story We're hearing that police have joined the rally in #WI after being asked to disperse the crowd. Can anyone confirm?

Just got this across my twitter feed from raw story and from what i know it has not been confirmed. This is why I put this story in skunk works. If its true, then the thread will be moved to a more suitable forum.

Can anyone in the Wisconsin area confirm this?

Did a quick google search and came up with this from USA today.

USA Today

MADISON, Wis. — Hundreds of off-duty police officers and deputies joined protests today against Gov. Scott Walker's budget repair bill that would strip most collective bargaining powers from about 170,000 public employees.

Police, state troopers and firefighters are excluded from the proposal, and even as some marched on the downtown Capitol Square, hundreds of other officers from around the state provided security.

Sheboygan County Sheriff's Cpl. Matt Spence and Deputy Todd Traas stood guard on the Capitol's northwest side directing pedestrians toward entrances to the building.

"We left at 3 a.m. on Thursday and have been (in Madison) ever since," Traas said. Five Sheboygan County deputies were on duty Saturday.

They came equipped with riot gear, including helmets and batons, they said, but didn't expect trouble.

"It's been great," Spence said.

But... I also found this...

From inside the Wisconsin State Capitol, RAN ally Ryan Harvey reports:

“Hundreds of cops have just marched into the Wisconsin state capitol building to protest the anti-Union bill, to massive applause. They now join up to 600 people who are inside.”

Ryan reported on his Facebook page earlier today:

“Police have just announced to the crowds inside the occupied State Capitol of Wisconsin: ‘We have been ordered by the legislature to kick you all out at 4:00 today. But we know what’s right from wrong. We will not be kicking anyone out, in fact, we will be sleeping here with you!’ Unreal.”

Liberation Army News

I am getting mixed results here. Anyone have an idea of what is going on there?

Thanks!

*UPDATE*

Looks like its confirmed ladies n gents!

This_is_who_we_are's Post

Thanks for the vigilant digging!

So far it looks like this story is true. there have been multiple reports of the police coming back in street clothes to sit in with the protesters. No one knows what is going to happen right now, but the police and firefighters are joining the protesters.

wish them luck, they are going to need it!
edit on 2/26/2011 by ugie1028 because: Confirmed!

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Well, I want it to be true.

So I'll going to have to flag it, and then hope for the best.

Police aren't all bad, and I'm sure they don't appreciate these globalist leaders taking away any of their personal power in the future.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Not sure if they were meant to break it up or if the union jumped on board.

link   
reply to post by CapnCaveman

I think it would make a great political statement if true.

We will find out around 4PM CT, 5PM Eastern time.... thats the time the riot police were ordered to kick them out.

Hoping for the best!

link   
I really hope this is legit, reality could use a nice big ol' dose of awesome for once.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I've heard so much from each side that I don't even know where I stand on this issue. I've learned alot about unions and what not that I didn't know before. Rand Paul said on Letterman that the average teacher in Wisconsin makes 89,000 a year if you add in the benifits. Not sure if thats true or not.

I think the problem goes alot deeper than the states can handle and lots of people are gonna be angry when the belt is tightened to fix budget problems. We live beyond our means and it has to come to an end one day and it probably won't be very smooth.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
For the record, this isn't being covered in any news source I've seen. This is the first I've even heard of it, other than vague references to a WI protest. I'm in Ontario, Canada btw. Seems odd this wouldn't be in the news.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
another link supporting the story... Actually... Its a copy/paste from the link in the OP. this confirms nothing!

understory.ran.org

From inside the Wisconsin State Capitol, RAN ally Ryan Harvey reports:

“Hundreds of cops have just marched into the Wisconsin state capitol building to protest the anti-Union bill, to massive applause. They now join up to 600 people who are inside.”

Ryan reported on his Facebook page earlier today:

“Police have just announced to the crowds inside the occupied State Capitol of Wisconsin: ‘We have been ordered by the legislature to kick you all out at 4:00 today. But we know what’s right from wrong. We will not be kicking anyone out, in fact, we will be sleeping here with you!’ Unreal.”

The link from the above quote had this too.

Voice Shakes

Still... the sources so far that have supported the topic are unreliable... at least right now.

I will like to see it before i believe it though.

Nothing new yet....
edit on 2/26/2011 by ugie1028 because: Quote/link are copies from the OP, but just another site reporting on it.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
If this is true when the Governor really wanted the protesters out wouldn't this be the excuse he needs so he could call in the national guard?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
found another new site claiming this but still not one I recognise

www.salon.com.../news/feature/2011/02/26/wisconsin_police_enter_protests

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

those are off duty cops that joined them...

What I am trying to figure out is if that the riot police ordered to kick them out joined with the protesters.

The suspense is kind of killing me.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I found something!

Raw Story

This is a live blog of ongoing events around the nation related to the workers' rights demonstrations.

and a live feed!

Live feed
edit on 2/26/2011 by ugie1028 because: I trimmed the quote. Go to the links.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
If its true good on them. Its only time until they get to the Police. This needs to be stopped now.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
www.boingboing.net...

Yesterday afternoon, hundreds of cops marched into the Wisconsin Capitol Building, where Wisconsinites have spent more than a week protesting their governor's plan to eliminate collective bargaining for most public employees. They were there to join the protest. Musician Ryan Harvey posted this report to Facebook: "Hundreds of cops have just marched into the Wisconsin state capitol building to protest the anti-Union bill, to massive applause. They now join up to 600 people who are inside."

"Police have just announced to the crowds inside the occupied State Capitol of Wisconsin: 'We have been ordered by the legislature to kick you all out at 4:00 today. But we know what's right from wrong. We will not be kicking anyone out, in fact, we will be sleeping here with you!' Unreal."

www.democracynow.org... ting_wisconsin_officers_patrol_capitol

Wisconsin police officers have participated in the Madison labor protests, not only on the job as public security, but also as demonstrators. "Law enforcement officers from all across the state are proud to stand with their fellow devoted public employees," says Jim Palmer, executive director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association. "We have been very impressed by how peaceful everyone has been." [includes rush transcript]

seems real

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by mayabong
I've heard so much from each side that I don't even know where I stand on this issue. I've learned alot about unions and what not that I didn't know before.

Either way you slice it, it's beginning to look like a total no-win situation. Either the public workers compromise or everyone compromises. If funds weren't so horrendously mismanaged this issue would not exist. While I am admittedly not the biggest fan of public sector unions, the people must get what they want one way or another. They are the ones providing the services. The consequences will fall on everyone, however. This entire situation just goes to show that the gov's all or nothing attitude is entirely destructive. They just can't do anything in moderation and that is the issue. With these extreme budget issues there should be a fair balance of compromise and elected officials should face pay cuts as a result of mismanaging state funds. Would it ever happen?
not a chance in hell unless the entire political system is reformed...and people are just too busy being consumers and slaves to make it happen.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
whats WI's next line of defence if the poliece can't handle protests?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Firefighters, Police Officers Protest Wisconsin's Anti-Union Bill
Posted by FFN WebTeam on February 18, 2011 at 1:54pm in Fire/Rescue News
www.firefighternation.com...

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Wisconsin Police Join Protest Inside State Capitol
Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:46PM
www.presstv.ir...

Hundreds of cops have marched into the Wisconsin state capitol building to protest the anti-Union bill, to massive applause. They now join up to 600 people who are inside.

Police have announced to the crowds inside the occupied State Capitol of Wisconsin: "We have been ordered by the legislature to kick you all out at 4:00 today. But we know what's right from wrong. We will not be kicking anyone out, in fact, we will be sleeping here with you!" Red Ant Liberation Army News

HIGHLIGHTS
Jim Palmer, executive director of the Wisconsin Professional Police Association, is calling on officers to spend the night Friday and Saturday.

“We may not have a big group but we're going to try to have a presence just the same.”

The call for officers to protest is significant, because the state has announced it will close the Capitol building Sunday at 6 p.m. Palmer says that his members, however, won't defy an order to close the building. “Our officers will comply with an order of law enforcement.”

Many officers have been on both sides of the protests, working to provide security and then coming back later to join the protests in civilian clothes, Palmer says.

Palmer says officers providing security have been impressed with how well behaved and peaceful the protesters have been.

“Law enforcement officers know the difference between right and wrong, and Governor Walker's attempt to eliminate the collective voice of Wisconsin's devoted public employees is wrong," Palmer says. "That is why we have stood with our fellow employees each day and why we will be sleeping among them tonight. The Daily Page

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
You might want to change that to "Confirmed" now.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

They will enforce the law... at 6PM.... but be sleeping with them tonight...

see this is what I dont get. its not 100% clear on what is going to happen after 4PM CT or 6PMCT.

this is either going to turn out to be nothing or something awesome...

good job with the research. were getting somewhere!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join