It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(Confirmed!) We're hearing that police have joined the rally in WI after being asked to disperse th

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by MacSen191

Seems like people protesting in the capitol and sleeping in the capitol can be a problem though huh? Don't they need that building for something? hehe.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by MacSen191
Of course, with the democrats taking off... I don't know.

I saw a blogger say that the WI Dems are holed up
in the Heritage Inn in Harvard IL.
Don't know if that's true or not.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

edit on 26-2-2011 by Jeremiah Johnson because: (no reason given)

I want to live in a perfect world where unions, jobs and money are not needed. I want to take up tee-pee living.
edit on 26-2-2011 by Jeremiah Johnson because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Last I heard they were in Rockford, did they relocate?

Walker gave a radio interview I caught where he said that he gives IL police the right to pull over any car the WI plates to see if there was representative hiding in the car. It was, I believe, a little tongue in cheek. Regardless, IL is largely pro Union, so I don't see that happening anyway, you know besides the fact it's illegal to pull someone over because of where they are from

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I have a family member that works for part the union apparatus, there will be many union workers and members driving to WI from IL to join the protests. Some left last night, to join today, others will be arriving for Monday. Just a heads up, if it has not yet been reported.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Try and keep up and not just parrot back Rush.

The unions have already agreeded to pay cuts and retirement cuts.

www.usnews.com...

blogs.forbes.com...

This is just union busting to keep free men from gathering together and bargaining in their own best interest.
That's called Fascism and tyranny.

The tide is turning in WI when the police and firefighters side with the teachers and other state workers.

Informed people know that this is just manipulation of walker by Big business, Koch bros. and the blow back is going to hurt the GOP more than they can imagine. Stupid move!

www.usnews.com...

edit on 26-2-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jeremiah Johnson

If unions went back to being what they were originally fighting for I would understand, but in this day and age it's not the same as it was years ago.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Kind of proves how selective the cops are.
If they can't follow orders, maybe they should be flipping burgers.
The hypocrasy in the whole thing isn't funny any more........they need to be unemployed, as do the teachers.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah Johnson

If unions went back to being what they were originally fighting for I would understand, but in this day and age it's not the same as it was years ago.

So do you think that Big business will suddenly care about the workers when unions are busted.

No...the workers will have no power and will have no retirement, lower pay, poor working conditions because that is how big business increases profits on the back of the working man.

Unions....kickinass for the working class.

I support my brothers in the locals in WI. I'm a proud member of AFTRA/SAG and am happy to pay my dues to get a fair shake out of the production companies that try and screw us everyway they can. I had to wait 9 years to get paid for working on "Young Guns" and then only because the union sued the prod. co.

Dosen't it just seem a little hypocritical to you that Gov. Walker has a health plan and retirement paid for by the taxpayers but wants to take it away from the people that do the real work?
edit on 26-2-2011 by whaaa because: what?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm kind of retarded when it comes to these kind of things cause its new to me. But isn't the public sector unions a little different than the SAG and stuff like that?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well I have been with my employer for about 13 years and I'm not union and I don't feel the need for it and I work for a large corporation. They take care of us pretty well, that being said I wish the increases would improve but the benefits and vacation are awesome. It's not all doom and gloom for us non union folks.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
This is just union busting to keep free men from gathering together and bargaining in their own best interest.

Disagree. It's called "Free market labor policy" and it states, essentially, you either take the job for the pay offered, or you choose not to take the job and work elsewhere. Fascism and tyranny would be telling them "You cannot unionize and you cannot look for a different job. You must remain in this job until we tell you you are free to leave." I understand that the English language has been modified over time and many words have taken on altered definitions, but please let's not insult the historical victims of true fascism and tyranny by attempting to apply those loaded terms in relation toa situation where the reality is far, far less severe than what those terms should apply to. If Scott Walker was holding a pistol to the worker's heads and ordering them back to work, OK... I'll stand there with you and join in your complaint.

There is a reason why a deunionized state is frequently referred to as a "right to work" state. When you have a state where the union holds the power, NOBODY has the right to work unless they genuflect to the union and become a PAID member of said union. To me, that is a much more appropriate example of tyranny. Those who desire to work in that field are being told "You must belong to our union to work here." All Walker is trying to do is open a path in which all qualified workers can work and can go back to what we should be at anyway... a system where your compensation depends on what you are doing in your job, what differences you are making, what benefit you actually are to your employers (the tax payers!) rather than being based on what strong armed tactics and threats of shutdowns your cronies and strike forces are demanding.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
Kind of proves how selective the cops are.
If they can't follow orders, maybe they should be flipping burgers.
The hypocrasy in the whole thing isn't funny any more........they need to be unemployed, as do the teachers.

Well, I for one am glad that the police don't mindlessly follow orders. However you feel about this particular situation aside, there are numerous threads about police brutality, or what would they do in a situation were the shtf.

If they were robots "just following orders" we would be a in world of crap. Good for them for looking at the problem and making their decision. I sure would hate to see a friend or family member hurt or dead because some cop or soldier was "just following orders".

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

By being nothing but lapdogs for the union it shows where their loyalty lies.......not with their oath, but rather wioth their union......I guess maybe they should have chosen a job where honor wasn't supposed to mean anything. Complete lack of respect for the law hey supposedy help uphold. Fire every damn one of them. No, I don't think they should be robots, but putting the union ahead of all else, including their integrity, they have shown thy aren't worthy to wear a badge, much less enforce laws upon anyone else.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I do not have a problem with unions in the private sector. However, I have a huge problem with them in the public sector. If a strike or protest happens in the public sector unions, the infrastructure is compromised! Some kids in WI didn't go to class last week because the majority of the teachers were at the capitol protesting. That is ridiculous! I hope the bill is passed. I believe it is time to reform how unions can control public infrastructure. They need to disallow public sector unions and continue to allow private unions.

Has the public sector unions really helped the police, firefighters and teachers? I think not. Those are some of the most under paid jobs across the country! So, tell me, how have the unions made these people's lives better? The unions just take their dues and give them a nickle raise a year. I have never been in a union, but I can tell you that I have recieved a lot better than a nickle raise every sngle year for the past 10 years straight. Unions do nothing for their employees but take their dues and act as if they are helping them when in fact they do not care at all. I have also seen this first hand in the UAW Local 1155.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

$100,000's? A teacher? LoL, yea ok buddy. Try more like $35,000-47,000 for one of the hardest most demanding jobs. Also it is estimated that teachers are spending over $4000 out of their own pocket each school year for supplies, field trips and other things. This is not just a problem of bad teachers, or poor parenting, or irresponsible management, it is a derivation of a flawed economic policy that is being abused and run by corrupt/greedy individuals.

I live in Madison, and although I am not a huge fan of Unions because I feel it is nothing more than a reactionary step to help balance a flawed system, WE ARE standing up, for the entire country, against a corporate sponsored government entity.

Do not shout us down! We are fighting for YOU TOO!

PS. Our police chief Noble Wray has said he is interested in learning who it was in Walker's cabinet that proposed hiring instigators to turn these peaceful protests into violent riots. He said, "that is not happening in my city as far as I can help it. We have a great line of communication between us and the public right now, if Walker seeks to disrupt that then he will be meeting me and the mayor face to face very soon."
edit on 26-2-2011 by LifeIsEnergy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

You dont feel the need for it because unions over the years have dragged the wages, treatment and benefits up for everyone. Including your ungrateful ass.

Thats actually the problem. Unions made things SO much better that people not in unions benefited almost as much as those in them, and so more and more people decided to reap the benefits without paying the dues and walking the line.

Now we have whole generations of people who think their companies treat them well because they are just kind like that. Part of me wishes they would bust the unions just so the not so bright could learn the error of their ways. But most of me doesnt want all of us to have to suffer to teach people with no common sense a lesson they likely wont understand anyway.
edit on 26-2-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed
reply to post by searching4truth

By being nothing but lapdogs for the union it shows where their loyalty lies.......not with their oath, but rather wioth their union......I guess maybe they should have chosen a job where honor wasn't supposed to mean anything. Complete lack of respect for the law hey supposedy help uphold. Fire every damn one of them. No, I don't think they should be robots, but putting the union ahead of all else, including their integrity, they have shown thy aren't worthy to wear a badge, much less enforce laws upon anyone else.

How exactly are they being lap dogs for the unions? If they joined, I suspect it was because the governor angered them by stating he would goons in the protests that has nothing to do with union support and everything to do with taking a stand against the inappropriate response the governor stated he considered taking.

Both the mayor of Madison as well as the Sheriff want a detailed explanation from the Governor, and thus far are angered and upset by the statements. For all we know, the cops are acting on the orders of the Mayor or Sheriff to send a message to Walker. Until the police make a statement regarding their decision, we are just speculating as to their reasoning.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Its not a free market if you are saying labor cant collectively bargain.

Corporations are unions of capital. Unions are unions of labor. In a free market either both are allowed or neither.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6

Originally posted by whaaa

Disagree. It's called "Free market labor policy" and it states, essentially, you either take the job for the pay offered, or you choose not to take the job and work elsewhere.

Actually no, it's not that straight forward. Employer offered a job, the employer says he can only offer you competitive wages that is not enough for you to live on, you refuse to accept it, other applicants collectively agree, and there is assentially nobody in town that the business can look to who will accept their position, so, like a good capitalist business, the employer has no choice but to increase the wage income offered, The employer is not being forced to increase it, and the candidate employees are not being forced to accept the wages. The employer just has no choice but to increase what is offered and accept they cannot cut corners anymore.

Now, ofcourse it's not that simple now a days. Businesses are able to find far more cheaper employement overseas or through hiring illegals, and they get away with it everytime with tax cuts because we have a segment of the population continiously protecting their actions. Obviously with these recessionary times, despite the record profits of many businesses, people are still being cut out of a decent living. Unions are not as influencial as they once were, but as they stand, they are the only option of many individual employees or the unemployed desperate seeking a living.

Nobody is arguing here that businesses should be obligated to hire Union workers or abide by union rules, that is utter BS. What is at core here in argument is the necessary function of unions, but people like you would be so naive to insist the employer is looking out for our best interests all the time. That is nonsense.
edit on 26-2-2011 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join