It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yeah yeah.... so what has America done for you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I am a bit tired of hearing about all the bad and wrong things that America does and has done. I don't disagree that America has done and does some messed up things, but I would like to hear some Americans chime in and say something that they are grateful for from their government.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92
I am a bit tired of hearing about all the bad and wrong things that America does and has done. I don't disagree that America has done and does some messed up things, but I would like to hear some Americans chime in and say something that they are grateful for from their government.

I'm not American but can I ask you to keep oprah, miley, justin et al there?

Now you have some mintox women, share them..

but.. put a lid on the rest plox..

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

I'm not an American anymore either.... I really don't like alot of things about America. But I can definitely appreciate some things. I just want to hear what people actually appreciate about their American government.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyShakleford92

Good question. First, I think in order to accurately answer this question, the playing field needs to be normalized and basically just classify actions as either positive or negative. So, what I am saying more or less is, just because I am glad that I do not have to worry about walking down the street and have to worry about a man in a military uniform stepping out and blowing my brains out, does not mean I should be thrilled and over joyed to be taxed to death either. In the grand scheme of things one is as bad as the other.

So, what am I grateful for from the American government. I must think about this.......

tick tock

tick tock

tick tock

Ok, I have my answer, but since you are not asking to justify my answer, I will make it short and simple.

I am grateful that the American government allows the money to be spent to make sure our men and women in uniform are the best damned trained military in the world.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
For all its faults I am grateful we have the government we have. I have watched for the last few weeks the riots and protests in the middle east. If we have issues with our government we do have resources to at least get a little relief. On the whole when people protest here a few may get hurt or even have their civil rights trampled some, but it never turns into a bloodbath with thousands dead and everyone trying to flee the country. People will always protest here with minimal injurys/deaths. Its what keeps our gov afraid and it also helps that the majority of citizens are armed.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I almost replied "the Internet" because I thought the 'net came about from USA gubmint & military expanding on the information-sharing needs of rocket scientists types (?) in USA & Switzerland. Then I Googled and found out no, I was wrong.
I realize you are looking for something positive and I've put about 15 minutes of pondering into this. Fought back much negativity. Think I found one:

The Smithsonian Institution.

The SI has an incredible array of displays to enjoy. I hit the lottery, I'd like to spend 6 months in Washington DC doing the tourist thing.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I'm grateful for the Constitution , not any government . I can call them all azzholes and not get shot or put in prison . Absolutely no one is trying to break into China , North Korea , Libya and 100 other countries while millions will float on rafts , dodge sharks and risk death just trying to touch American soil . Millions , every year . America is the promised land . Even in the 1st developed world . In England 3,000 people legally apply every day for a work visa in America . I just saw a Libyan General on tv asking for American help because they want to be free . People risk getting killed to get here . After the war it was estimated that 150,000 Veitnames boat people died in the South China Seas on the way here . Imagine a country where ordinary peasants can own guns . Every natural disaster and calamity that strikes anywhere on earth finds Americans always first to the rescue , always . Per capita and by country Americans are the most generous people on earth . American production per unit of manufacture has always been the highest on earth and while many smug others on the opposite side of the Atlantic demand a 36 hour work week , Americans will work 70 hours so they can buy the boat and motor and keep taxes low . Most of them would give their right nut for the American standard of living but have no concept of working for it . They scoff at Americas use of the earths natural resources but omit that America still supplies most of the world with everything and China is still far enough behind that they can't be seen in the rear view mirror . The world can't believe there are no poor people in America . The poorest have 4 walls and a roof , the lights come on when the switch is flicked . The heat comes on and the groceries are on the table and pretty much everyone has a cell phone , a computer and a big screen tv . 70% of the whole world has never made a phone call and mega-millions wonder for 12 hours , ragged azzed every day to aquire one meal and the fuel to cook it . The average yearly income in Afghanistan is 200 dollars and 95% have never stepped a foot into a school . Any trouble in America and you must be presumed innocent and provided with a lawyer and are entitled to a vigorous defense . Everything factored most Europeans pay 60% of their income in taxes . No , America is not perfect and far from it but i just don't see millions and millions of people trying to hike , walk , boat , raft , swim or smuggle themselves into France , Ireland , China , Mexico or Somalia . Why is that ? The US Border Patrol reports that on the southern border they intercepted people from 60 countries trying to get in , in just 2010 . 60 countries . Why would they all want to come to the most evil place on earth ? America is not without problems and the big guy takes the shots from everyone but the problems of the nation are miniscule compared to most others . Even here , how many times have you read posts from smug folks from elsewhere kinda laughing at the barbarians with some much affection for guns . They have to fake the smugness because their own countries simply took everything away and their politicians rule them like a bygone auristocracy while we Americans still rule the politicians and refuse any master . It isn't even about guns , it's about freedom , not collective freedom that the state decides but individual freedom as specified in the Constitution . A buddy works for an international electronics company and got arrested in Heathrow airport in England over an item in his checked baggage . A Leatherman multi-tool that he uses every day at work . The blade was 3.25 inches therefore a prohibited weapon and one third of the blade was serrated for the second prohibited weapon charge . I'll take America any day , and so will 3,000 Brits who apply every day for a work visa leading to a landed immigrant visa leading to citizenship . If William Wallace , Mel Gibsons Braveheart came back from the dead he'd die when he found out that he needs a permit to own a sword . There are America haters within America and several right here on ATS but i still haven't heard of one of them getting caught trying to sneak into France , Spain , Italy , Russia , Egypt , Syria and a whole list of much better countries . Why ? All hat and no cattle .

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Why only Americans?
I love American culture!

Do you people even realize that the biggest fans of USA culture are in other countries?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
There are so many things i love about america i dont know where to start. but here are a few if im sick i go to the doctor that day and get meds if my house catches fire the fire dept will be there in mins to put it out. my son get a first class education for free, i can travel any where in the country with no hassle and the world with my passport. i can hunt and raise my own food. hollywood movies cell phones, internet, if i dont like my leaders i can vote them out and i do so every election. we have beautiful national parks, public parks football baseball and apple pie awesome food
america is wonderful but not without its fault but the positives far out weight the negatives IMO
edit on 26-2-2011 by pez1975 because: typo

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I love that my government set aside lands for parks. The National Park system is vast, varied and beautiful. .

I am grateful for the Interstate Highway System. Eisenhower did a really great thing to estabislh an infrastructure. Now I can travel with ease to any place in America.

I also love the Constitution. The three branches of governent have served us well and act as checks and balances, at least so far.

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Why only Americans?
I love American culture!

Do you people even realize that the biggest fans of USA culture are in other countries?

Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite thing about American Culture?

posted on Feb, 26 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

I suppose so far we are pretty similar to it, so it's all so easily taken for granted.
One must imagine places without it, like speaking to many of the African refugees who come from countries that are run by 80-90 year old despots for half-a-century.
I think self-criticism is a noble trait, and the US does this a lot, even through film and popular culture.

top topics

join