It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Assembly Passes Anti-Union Bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

A ban on corporate and union contributions to state candidates is also in place in Texas. However, the state does allow corporate and labor contributions to political organizations for costs not directly related to campaigning (such as administrative expenses).

If you care to check the source, it seems to allow for a Texas-sized loophole as there's a lot of dough being spread around for canapes and photocopies.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by ffman

There was no surplus.

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

Quit perpetuating a lie.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I know. Heh. I actually double checked the law when I read your source.

I do think that that needs to be addressed.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by ffman

There was no surplus.

www.outsidethebeltway.com...

Quit perpetuating a lie.

Oh, that is priceless! Great link!
Rachel Maddow : "Walker is manipulating the situation for political gain."
Thank God for PolitiFact.

edit on 25-2-2011 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
The horrible consequences of making govt emplyees second class citizens, and stifling their right to organise and negotiate is going to set PRECEDENT that will be used to get YOU in the private sector next!
When all is said and done, how can there be any justice in a country where 10% own 90% of everything!
Wake up!
The rich are crippling the country!
They are running everything into the ground like in a corporate takeover of a company just to suck the cash out and destroy the business.
This is so blatant a grab for more POWER by the BIG BUSINESSES who own the goverment in WI.
This will come back to bite all you in favour of this repression.
Now, as far as the unions go, there has to be some rearranging in that arena too.
It is a sad truth that organised crime runs large portions of the unions of the private sector.
Get the crooks out of the unions, and get them out of the goverment,kill off the special rights of corporations to buy bribe or otherwise pervert the goverment.
Put responsible people into these now vacant positions....start all over and see where it goes.
It gotts get ripped apart and reassembled better, with more safeguards.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

One down for Soros. Too bad for the spookie dude and his "progressive" Lefty minions. Government employee Unions ARE THE GOVERNMENT! Don't feed it.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

I to belong to a public service union, but unlike you I am firmly behind Wisconsin's govnm't.
Other than taking a good chunk of my pay every month they keep asking for more and more funds from the public coffers. Guess what Every dollar they pay us come from our pockets. Where do you think they are going to go to recover the states missing funds to pay our over indulgent collective agreements? From your pocket right?

As a tax payer I have seen the rampant abuse of the unions power. They have a sense of entitlement that goes beyond what private unions are capable of getting, after all their members won't be laid off because the state would close down.

As a member of a Public Service Union all I have seen for the last few years is a union that is bankrolled by these same increases they argue for. They are really the only ones who benefit from these pay hikes because our union dues increase at roughly the same level. Based on my last collective agreement and my pay stub times the 170,000 or so employees. We now pay the union about 0.9% of our salaries per year. The union now increases it's union fees proportionately and gets 2% yr (from roughly $50 to $51.00/month. At about $10 per member /year that's $1,700,000.00 profit to the union for one year more than the $102,000,000.00 they already get from the membership. (average$50/month X 12 months X 170,000 members) + ($1/month X12months X 170,000members) = $103,700,000 per year.

Who really benefits. Not the tax-payer, not the union member because it will mostly be taken back in increased income tax.

That's right..... The Union profits and the union boss' get richer and stronger.

-----------------------------

I shall calm down now....

-----------------------------

At one time the unions were there to serve the worker and they did a very good job of protecting them.
Some unions are still effective in that mission, unfortunately most fall into the category described above. They are there to serve the union. Just think, when was the last time a union fought to protect it's members I mean from unjust employers. Government and other public institution unions ie teachers unions, etc.. are unlike mining, industrial, construction, or lumber unions who still protect employees from the companies (sometimes). They leadership (union boss') are out for the all mighty golden pension plan.
edit on 25-2-2011 by palg1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Let the strikes begin, the protests, THE REVOLUTION. Time for an Egypt revolution in America. Enough with the bankers and the corporations corrupting officials and raping the middle-class.

Let's get this whole thing started. I know unions have big big big problems, and that the states have a big big big money problem...

Better start now then wait for all the country to be bankrupt, or a new false-flag is pulled, or a new war started, or the dollar collapse... let's start it now.

It's not quite over yet, they still need democrats in the senate to pass it.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 25-2-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

I only have this to say about unions, every Union my parents or someone I knew belonged to always seemed to have an Italian at the head position that never worked in the field the Union was organized for. I know it might sound racist, but come on. The links between the old Italian mafia's and modern unions are far too many. And besides unions are a tricky thing. They can just as easily enslave you into a kind of serfdom as they can free you.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
About Freaking time.

The start of a new day for America. The Wave will continue.

And, it's about time the Dems learn from their "leader" Obama....

Elections have consequences.

*snip*. No, better yet. Stay away. We'll do better with out you.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

edit on 2/25/2011 by maria_stardust because: (no reason given)

Let the destruction of the middle class begin the elite is getting tired of waiting for their wage slave labor force to begin.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The Republicans plan is to crush the union and strip them of all power. Other states will follow if there is a Republican majority. Sometimes I wonder if the Dems are secretly in on this with them, but giving the appearance that they are against it. This is the way these bed buddies work. This is on a long list of objectives that the elites must fulfill in order to have complete control over the people.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Unexpected whoops.

What's Obama gonna do now to repay his Union buddies for everything they've done for hime over the last two years?

Will union workers finally begin to feel the pinch like everyone else?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Unexpected whoops.

What's Obama gonna do now to repay his Union buddies for everything they've done for hime over the last two years?

What I would like to know is where is his 2012 campaign funds going to come from? I have no doubt that he amassed a fortune during his 2008 campaign from from the unions and from the wealthy middle east dictators that are falling like flies. I have had this nagging feeling these last couple of days that Obama's silence toward Gadhaffi speaks a thousand words.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Erica1631 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by muse7
Can't believe people are so happy and joyful over a state passing a bill that would basically leave employees at the mercy of the employer.

What is this? the 1800's?

If you took the time to actually - read the bill - you would discover that it does NOT remove ALL
collective bargaining.
It's not the end of the world.
Gov. Scott Walker is just creating an environment where Wisconsin can - succeed -.
Plugging financial holes with federal $$$ bailouts is irresponsible and short sighted.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Try to think 10 years ahead not 10 minutes ahead.

Excellent points. One of the provisions is to stop forced payment of dues. I find it hilarious that Union members just hate that so much.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I've been a member of two unions, UFCW when I worked in a meat plant and BCTGM when I was working in a bakery.

I will agree that there are huge problems in unions. I also agree with another poster that in every contract the union got a more money then the membership.

With that said though, unions are the only reason we had anything at all. Look at what is going on in the UK right now...they are trying to come up with criteria that allow companies to pay poeple less then minimum wage.

Review the last few years and anything that one nation does they all do eventually.

The US is developing methods to break unions, the UK is developing laws to get around minimum wage.

How long until they swap ideas?
edit on 25-2-2011 by [davinci] because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erica1631

Originally posted by Alxandro
Unexpected whoops.

What I would like to know is where is his 2012 campaign funds going to come from? I have no doubt that he amassed a fortune during his 2008 campaign from from the unions and from the wealthy middle east dictators that are falling like flies. I have had this nagging feeling these last couple of days that Obama's silence toward Gadhaffi speaks a thousand words.
edit on 25-2-2011 by Erica1631 because: (no reason given)

He just might have to dip into that 85 mil from the B P Oil deal.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Here's how the vote happened in the Assembly...

Republicans started to return to the chamber and took their seats, a possible signal that something was up.

When Hebl yielded the floor, Republicans immediately invoked Assembly Rule 71(1), which reads, ”When a proposal is under consideration, any member who obtains the floor may move that debate on the proposal be ended. Any such motion shall be seconded by at least 15 members, may not be debated, and is decided by a roll call vote.”

As soon as that occurred, Kramer called for the reading, which the chief clerk read the title and short description of AB11 at a speed only seen at farm auctions. By the time the Democrats and some Republicans realized what was happening, the vote had been called and finalized. It took less than a minute to end debate and vote on the bill that had been under fire for over a week.

source

And Walker's response to the fake Koch in the prank call re what will happen in the Senate...

If they’re actually in session for that day, and they take a recess, the 19 Senate Republicans could then go into action and they’d have quorum…so we’re double checking that. If you heard I was going to talk to them that’s the only reason why. We’d only do it if they came back to the capital with all 14 of them…

Politics can be dirty pool. These two exemplars attest to that!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I found this video.. was explaining things from the view of the ``anti-teacher union`` sisde.

Also this documentary on the education system in America : Was done back in the early 00s I think... but still good.

The whole thing is a must watch, but the part about unions is starting at around 26 minutes in till 36 minutes.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Check this thread i made... i think that this thread has to do with part of mine.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

I guess misery likes company! If you don't make the kind of salary unions fight for, I guess you have to attack them, is that it? Instead of attacking people who are making a livable wage, maybe you should be attacking corporations that have sent their manufacturing facilities over seas for cheap labor and high profits. Maybe you should be attacking government officials who have robbed our social security fund, and state worker pensions that state workers have paid into. Do you really think the average worker is going to get anywhere by attacking workers who have fought for better pay? You're only going to set workers rights back when employers took advantage of low pay and poor working conditions. While workers fight among themselves because of jealousy, corporations and government officials are laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Are you sick of highly paid teachers?

Teachers' hefty salaries are driving up taxes, and they only work 9 or 10 months a year! It's time we put things in perspective and pay them for what they do - babysit!

We can get that for less than minimum wage. That's right. Let's give them $3.00 an hour and only the hours they worked; not any of that silly planning time, or any time they spend before or after school. That would be $19.50 a day (7:45 to 3:00 PM with 45 min. off for lunch and plan-- that equals 6 1/2 hours).

Each parent should pay $19.50 a day for these teachers to baby-sit their children. Now how many students do they teach in a day...maybe 30? So that's $19.50 x 30 = $585.00 a day.

However, remember they only work 180 days a year!!! I am not going to pay them for any vacations.

LET'S SEE....

That's $585 X 180= $105,300 per year. (Hold on! My calculator needs new batteries).

What about those special education teachers and the ones with Master's degrees? Well, we could pay them minimum wage ($7.75), and just to be fair, round it off to $8.00 an hour. That would be $8 X 6 1/2 hours X 30 children X 180 days = $280,800 per year.

Wait a minute -- there's something wrong here! There sure is!

The average teacher's salary (nation-wide) is $50,000. $50,000/180 days = $277.77/per day/30 students=$9.25/6.5 hours = $1.42 per hour per student--a very inexpensive baby-sitter and they even EDUCATE your kids!) WHAT A DEAL!!!!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join