It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wisconsin Assembly Passes Anti-Union Bill

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by muse7

Public employees are employees by the taxpayers.
How dare the employees be at the will of the taxpayers.
Brilliant one Sherlock.

If the taxpayer is always right, how come you have your much-vaunted "checks and balances"?
Just askin'

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Really you want to start a revolution over people paying LESS taxes, now i really do believe this site is going to #. Listen this wasnt some company with a couple multi millionaires paying employees, this was tax payer money. Due to unions raping our tax money and government raping us by tax with over spending, we can no longer sustain our spending. I dont understand why people cant see that this has to be done. Oh no they are going to have to pay 12% iinstead of 6% toward health care...Oh no they have to contribute to their own pensions. Anyone been to a dmv latley? Anyone see public highways latley? You think these damn ppl deserve all these extra's..its bs...

edit on 25-2-2011 by logicalthinking because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Key question: So are the planned layoffs off now? Why the hell isn't that mentioned in the article?

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Maybe the tax payers need to start a union to protect our ass's. Seems like up until this bill all of us have been getting robbed....HOORAY FOR THE GOV!!!

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by logicalthinking

Quit your crap and get a new name. They're taxpayers too, and they provide a service for your precious tax dollar. If you think the amount of your taxes is going down because of this, think again. There is no tax base and this will further erode it. If you're so worried about your tax dollar why aren't you out there screaming about the real waste going on in this country in billions and billions to fund illegal wars and as flat out give-aways to other countries. Sure, pick on the teachers because it's so easy.
edit on 2/25/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I never said that the taxpayer is always right.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Reply to post by ~Lucidity

Under Texas’ Local Government Code, local police and firefighters can obtain collective bargaining rights if they follow certain statutorily mandated steps. First, they must collect signatures from the lesser of 20,000 voters or five percent of the voting public. Once that threshold is met, then the majority of local voters are given the opportunity to vote in a referendum. If a majority of the voters elect to confer collective bargaining rights on their police and firefighters, only then do labor unions have the ability to negotiate with cities and counties on their members’ behalf.

That is how it should be.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Sounds like a sounder plan to me. For now. Don't expect it to last there, thought. They'll be coming after them soon too though. They want to bust the unions and pensions in every state, for every job, public and private. Good luck to us all.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This bill in essence, is not about teachers pay.

It is not about gov or private sector Unions.

It is not about good or bad of Unions.

It is all about PULLING THE TEETH and rights of a civil organisation to speak on behalf of its members.

Passage of this bill means a precedent had been set, at least in WI. It can be for any other civil organisations.

YOU PEOPLE have no more rights to voice out, to make others understand, to compromise. The first amendment is gone with the swirl of a penstroke.

Sometimes, either TPTB are so darn stupid not to realized it with an america at peace....or they are actually provoking for a full scale rebellion!
edit on 25-2-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

I think American's deserve it.

They are getting what the want. When they discover the deficit isn't going down perhaps it will sink into their head that it isn't the teacher down the road who make 50K or the guy in the state mental ward making 30K who is at fault for everything.

The rich are so good at getting the working class to fight each other. And yes, it's a class war.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
People...come on...read the article.

An anti-union bill that has set off massive protests in Wisconsin and seized the nation's attention cleared the state Assembly early Friday morning but remains stuck in limbo because Senate Democrats who fled the state last week to block the vote show no signs of returning.

THE BIlL HAS NOT PASSED....it passed in the Assembly....still can't be passed in the Senate with the democrats holding out by leaving the state.

There has been no precedent set...there is not "victory"...nothing has happened.

Good lord...READ THE ARTICLE.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by MindSpin

You're totally right. Methinks we're jumpy.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
They want to bust the unions and pensions in every state, for every job, public and private. Good luck to us all.

Well, it's really about pulling the major funding groups for the Democrats, and crippling them accordingly. Most Republican money comes from the corporations. Union money comes from the middle class. Look at the disparity between corporate salaries and those of the working man. Look at how much the gap is widening.

Now how the hell can the common guy/gal stand up and fight for the benefit of the corporations and the lawmakers that enable them? Is all those new jobs you suddenly have? Is it all your secure housing? The security of your pensions? Who do you imagine is closer to looking out for your interests?

I can but shake my head.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Reply to post by ~Lucidity

I dunno. Texas has had pretty much the same Union laws for almost 3/4 of a century, and it has worked well.

There is no big Union busting ideas here in Texas.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

I think we're both right. It's a two-pronged attack. The real goal is to enslave people, no matter which sector they're in and drive wages down. If they can reap hollow political victories along the way too and also enslave what remains of the real government and founding principles too. so much the better.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Wrong.

Texas has a big Democratic party, with no Unions contributing.

Try again.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Teachers, firefighters and police, etc, etc typically make the same as non-union states relative to the cost of the living. And in the states where teachers make significantly more money, union dues are higher.. for teachers the average starting wage union or not is around 32-33k/year and tenure 45-60k More affluent communities have higher paid teachers of course.

Personally, I went to a Catholic school where the teachers were non-union and made less than public school teachers in the nearby schools. They stayed though, because they loved teaching.. and when the public schools, who made about 15k more per teacher and used 5 times the funding as our Catholic school, were nearly shut down for failing grades and poor test scores.. my school scored off the charts.

Personally, I don't think the issue lies with teachers but with administrators.. and unions. I should support unions since both parents belong to one (mother is actually a member of a public teachers union) and my own wife is a member of a public union .. but just seeing the way they work, they take to much. I don't think the gov should take away collective bargaining.. but anymore, especially with people my age (lower 20's) a public sector job is the "dream job" .. because you'll make more, never get fired and have the best benefits. It really shouldn't be that way.

Democrats, imo, are desperate to save the unions because it's a primary source of revenue for their campaigns.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Wrong.
Texas has a big Democratic party, with no Unions contributing.
Try again.

I donno...in the last Governor's race, labour contributed $39, 500 to Rick Perry's campaign, and $3,439,858 to Bill White. www.followthemoney.org...

Maybe as a foreigner, I just have difficulty with the language.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Where Wisconsin can succeed? Wisconsin was due to report a surplus for the year before Gov. Walker took office.

posted on Feb, 25 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

A ban on corporate and union contributions to state candidates is also in place in Texas. However, the state does allow corporate and labor contributions to political organizations for costs not directly related to campaigning (such as administrative expenses).

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join