It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CBS News' Lara Logan Assaulted During Egypt Protests

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
What this story doesn't say is whether the people who perpetrated this attack where Mubarak supporters, or anti-Mubarak or just opportunistic criminals who as we can see in hurricanes and floods and earthquakes and black outs who take to the streets when government does break down.

edit on 15/2/11 by ProtoplasmicTraveler because: (no reason given)

Absolutely.

Aren't we always reading in the Survival Forum how we should be on guard for this very thing when the "SHTF" in our own country?

Are we only outraged because she is a pretty blonde woman?

Women in the U.S., the Middle East, and indeed around the world are victimized and exploited all of the time. Should we be more shocked and appalled that it happened to a journalist who willfully journeyed there of her own accord to broadcast from ground zero in a revolution from an oppressive regime in a country where lawlessness and brutality were a way of life from even the Police?

It's horrible what happened to her. She's a fantastic Journalist and I'm sure a wonderful person. But let's not spread disdain and judgment on an entire culture just because this happened. The people of Egypt were protesting to demand change from just this sort of thing. They want to be free of fear and safe from reprisals when they exercise free speech, just as she was doing.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Beautiful blonde bombshell = check
Inappropriate measures taken for security = check
Journalists who feel they are above everyone and need to be in the midst of chaos = check

Whoever the idiot is who sent her there should be shot. However she's a grown woman and from interviews I've seen her conduct on 60 Minutes, a very intelligent woman. She really should have applied better judgement. Why in the hell is someone who looks like this expecting anything other than the result we now see.

brill

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Why in the hell is someone who looks like this expecting anything other than the result we now see.

Looks like what?

What are you trying to say?

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

Come on man, no matter how you look or where you are, nobody should expect this to happen to them.

Maybe I'm nieve, but she was just doing her job.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
reply to post by conspiracy nut

Take from that whatever you will, but it tells me that women were safer in Egypt before all of this Western governemnt driven, media manipulated uprising took place.

As a woman, I'll take my chances with democracy - revolutionary transition or otherwise - versus an autocratic, military-backed dictator any day.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
Pro-mubarak people had lost, politically and in the street battles, but they don't have Mubarak tattooed on their foreheads. They can easily move among the crowds at that point

That is true; however, that is the last place smart Mubarak supporters would be. On the oft-chance they would be recognized...

While Ms. Logan is the most high-profile victim, I doubt she was the only one. There were probably dozens of similar incidents that we will never hear about. Not just rapes, but beatings and murders. Not blaming any one group; but as ProtoplasmicTraveler pointed out, the Mob is dangerous. And rape is an unfortunate part of the human condition, historically war (of all sorts) and rape have been inseparable, both as a tool of war and a tool used against the conquered by the victors.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

It's horrible what happened to her. She's a fantastic Journalist and I'm sure a wonderful person. But let's not spread disdain and judgment on an entire culture just because this happened. The people of Egypt were protesting to demand change from just this sort of thing. They want to be free of fear and safe from reprisals when they exercise free speech, just as she was doing.

Wise words and one of the real tragedies that confronts us all is the cultural snobbery that comes from looking past and through a two way mirror.

We tend to notice the drawbacks in other cultures while avoiding our own, and imagining those cultures don't see similiar drawbacks in things that afflict us particuarly in ours, that don't afflict them particuarly in theirs.

When the random act of obscene violence or depravity occurs we tend to blame it on the whole culture and not the individuals.

We do that too with a scary set of dual standards.

Protesters at the G-20 in Pittsburgh who threw bottles or lit dumpsters on fire or smashed store windows are labelled anarchists and vandals and hooligans.

Protesters in Iran who throw bottles, light dumptsters on fire or smashed store windows are considered freedom fighters and heros, by the same medias and governments who labelled the former above as anarchists and vandals and hooligans for doing the same thing.

We all get richer and safer in my humble opinion when we learn to respect our cultural differences and preferences.

People do learn best through one another, and when only one side of the equation thinks it has something to teach and nothing to learn, all sides suffer for it.

Great post.

Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by brill

So are you playing blame the victim now???

Are you saying it was her fault for being "blond" and being pretty???

Why don't you blame the primitive mob that had no restraint and gets all excited at the first site of a blond foreigner. Disgusting...(not you but the mob, just to clarify
)
edit on 15-2-2011 by Steam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

I remember you telling that story before,
pffffft

Interesting it is reading in between the lines of some of the post on this issue,

Rapist should be castrated,

Sadly, not one if these goons will be brought to justice.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by brill
Why in the hell is someone who looks like this expecting anything other than the result we now see.

My friend, you are treading dangerously close to the "she shouldn't have been wearing that dress" territory.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by brill

Come on man, no matter how you look or where you are, nobody should expect this to happen to them.

Maybe I'm nieve, but she was just doing her job.

I have to differ with this... Massive and potentially violent protests, regime change in this case, will always have an atmosphere to it that may lead to these attacks (women are attacked at friggin rock concerts as an example, why would anyone think it not possible in massive protest of that sort?) Women who are taking part in these situations HAVE to be aware that there are elements that will be dangerous for them and take precautions accordingly. Most women would know this intuitively. Of course, I am not blaming the victim, nor am I suggesting that she should have not been there doing her job...

edit on 15-2-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull
My friend, you are treading dangerously close to the "she shouldn't have been wearing that dress" territory.

I really do get what you are saying here. It's a difficult line to tread. However, I get what he is saying too. Lawlessness and danger lurked everywhere.

It was imprudent and naive on everyone's part to presume that she would not draw the attention of the mostly male, frenzied crowd. Acknowledging that doesn't make it her fault. It's just a reality that should have been taken into consideration, particularly when choosing their location and security measures. It's basic risk assessment.

It's tragic.
edit on 15/2/2011 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Steam

No, Muslim women in Egypt DO NOT 'have' to wear the headscarf.

You are flat out WRONG. Do some reseach. Many do wear it, as a CHOICE. Its actually something of a fashion statement in Egypt. Not all muslim women wear it, and those who do don't wear it all the time. Did you know that female Egyptian TV presenters aren't even allowed to wear it? Did you know its actually discouraged in many situations?

Stop peddling your bigoted fantasies and educate yourself. But congratulations on your expertly spell checked garbage. Well done. If I was using a keyboard rather than a phone I might have done the same.

edit on 15-2-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Im really disappointed in some of your responses. sad how casually some of you can criticize a person you dont know, and their actions. She is a reporter and she was where the story was. Sitting on your PC posting snippets all day and night actually requires somebody to go out and file a story.

So sad. An amazing beautiful talent.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bluesquid
So sad. An amazing beautiful talent.

And the fact that you caveatted "talent" with "beautiful" exactly proves some of the points being made.

It doesn't make it right, just reality.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by brill

Looks like what?

What are you trying to say?

I think the results, sadly, speak for themselves here. Perhaps a different reporter would have been a more wise choice but that doesn't matter now. This was extremely poor judgement both by CBS and Ms. Logan.

brill

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Steam
reply to post by brill

So are you playing blame the victim now???

Are you saying it was her fault for being "blond" and being pretty???

Why don't you blame the primitive mob that had no restraint and gets all excited at the first site of a blond foreigner. Disgusting...(not you but the mob, just to clarify
)
edit on 15-2-2011 by Steam because: (no reason given)

Not at all. I can't say this comes as a surprise though. The mob are obviously at blame and scum but I do not think her being there was a necessity, the news could have come about in other ways. Look at Anderson Cooper....prime example that the west are despised by many. Not trying to paint all of Egypt with the same brush but this was completely avoidable imo.

brill

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WingedBull

Originally posted by brill

Perhaps but again an avoidable situation. I don't think her getting the story out necessitates the elevated risk she took. Yes news can be important but it seems more important to have a pretty face in amongst a relatively volatile scenario to make it more newsworthy.

I think my message is being misinterpreted. I think its a despicable and vile act. I hope she recovers. She's lucky to be alive quite frankly.

brill

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Since she was separated from her group those who did I assume did not know who she was. A mob sees a woman and goes crazy - these are very dangerous times. I remember seeing a few women with children during the protests and I could not imagine why the children would be put into a dangerous mob situation. Even if the mob is for the good of something, it is still a mob and people can get hurt. I feel bad that this happened to her. She may want to come home now and I wouldn't blame her.

posted on Feb, 15 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
reply to post by Steam

No, Muslim women in Egypt DO NOT 'have' to wear the headscarf.

You are flat out WRONG. Do some reseach. Many do wear it, as a CHOICE. Its actually something of a fashion statement in Egypt. Not all muslim women wear it, and those who do don't wear it all the time. Did you know that female Egyptian TV presenters aren't even allowed to wear it? Did you know its actually discouraged in many situations?

Stop peddling your bigoted fantasies and educate yourself. But congratulations on your expertly spell checked garbage. Well done. If I was using a keyboard rather than a phone I might have done the same.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join