It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with all the threads attacking atheism/atheists lately?

page: 43
<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

Hail thee! I need not hath faith to believe in my god Thor. I hath seen his mightiest of thunders crack from the sky with a mighty bellow. I hath witnessed the wail of his storms!

Ye of faith heed not the message of Thor!

...sorry, but I'm a big fan of the comics and the mythological character.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HarryJoy
I am not saying that the universe is impossible without a god...

Ok my friend, I have made a little head way with the science minded crowd, now please forgive me if I take a moment to clarify your own language of choice in this existence.

The fathers will is not for you to be blind. If that is what he wanted you would not have been designed with eyes that see. So, please look around with me for a moment.

To a Theist God is:

Omnipotent
Omnipresent
Omnibenevolent

It must have these three things or else it is lessor to what these three things describe. Right? No one wants to worship a lesser God, so lets proceed.

If it is all powerful and all knowing then it is safe to say WE do not know what it knows. All we can do is learn from it. The only thing that has these properties so far is our existence, this universe above and the universe below, within us. God is right in front of us LOOK AT HIM.

if it everywhere, then it is everything. it is everything that we have known and will know as a whole. This is our existence, the universe above, and the universe below. Even within YOU.

If it is all good then everything in our existence is GOOD. Including you, including the atheists, everything. You are not all knowing, it is not your place to judge.

What was Jesus? He was of the father, the son, and the holy ghost.

The Father - is the universe. We have already to described God above. He is everything, everywhere, and all GOOD.

The Son - The Son is this particular manifestation of God. It is MAN, the species. Hence Jesus often went by the Son of Man, Son of God interchangeably.

The Holy Ghost - The consciousness of the being. This is the conscious mind of Man. A mind unlike any other in our earthly history. It is a mind capable of receiving understanding of the father when ever it asks for it and believes it will receive it. Think, therefore I AM. Everything we have ever wanted has always without fail become manifest through a Man who believed it possible and pursued it. Science is just another language to understand our world. It is a step closer to the father.

Now what is the Fathers will?

To love one another. That is all we are supposed to do. We are not supposed to judge or harm each other. Because we have, new understanding is coming, and the old beliefs are dieing out.

And love the father - How do you love the father? You seek for him. You try to understand him. You continue to explore and discover!

This is what Jesus was trying to teach in ways the populace could understand at the time. The populace speaks and thinks differently today, hence the transition to science.

Even science is proving that what we do to each other affects the whole species. Thus, we must move to a world free of want and one which takes care of the whole. This science is catching up and will replace the old teachings because they are no longer adequate, and have proved themselves detrimental to the well being of the whole.

Does this rule out Jesus? Not at all. His teachings are his second coming. Logic and science both have evidence that prove that for the species to survive, we must look out for one another. We MUST LOVE one another.

Christs second coming is one of understanding, and it is popping up everywhere, but it is not coming as Jesus, but his understanding.

Jesus is just a word, not the spirit of the lessons.

[36] He told them this parable: "No one tears a patch from a new garment and sews it on an old one. If he does, he will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old. [37] And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. [38] No, new wine must be poured into new wineskins. [39] And no one after drinking old wine wants the new, for he says, 'The old is better.' "

Do you love your Brothers and God, or do you love the false idols of religious dogma and limited understanding of our existence?

Reach for the stars my friend. It is a gift from God.

With Love,

Your Brother
edit on 4-2-2011 by IAMIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I'm going to share with you all a very old, very helpful, commonly known secret, that is so simple, it's hard to remember: "Just let it Go"
Just
Let
It
Go.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Revenant

You can say that, but what it is is what it is. If it quacks like a duck, walks like a duck, and eats like a duck, it's a duck. ok, maybe you can get a swan, but it's still in the same group of animals doing the same thing.

Don't tell me how to feel or what's beneath me or not. It's an objective view. If I were an alien visiting planet Earth, the atheists would not be any different in action and behavior than the religious groups and I would group them as just a part of the lot. I would observe humanity is a cultural species and that not having belief is a belief and cultural element in and of itself. The only way you can truly have no belief is if you did not have a human brain capable of it.
edit on 4-2-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by bogomil

Things line up. Today I was thinking of someone for the first time in a month and I saw that person for the first time in a month around the corner. No idea why. No thought applied. No number patterns. Just lining up. No idea why.

Also, there is a reply button, you know. So that I don't have to ctrl F your name through 20 pages to find your reply. If you press the reply button, I know you responded in my inbox.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by w4HoO

Agreed! People need to stop

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

What if Thor and Jehovah are the same being?

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher-In-The-Shadows

What if Thor and Jehovah are the same being?

They ARE!!!!!!!

But at different times of Mans understanding about his environment! Each time Man learns more, the new knowledge gets a new name and the old God's died out.

Man was first ancestor worshippers.
Then nature worshippers, lightning, wind, eartquakes and such.
Then Sun worshippers
Then constellation Worhshipers
Then Universe worshipers

All along the way we have forgotten the most important and greatest element.

The observer! US His greatest creation.

Brilliant addition my friend!

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Reply to post by bogomil

Might want to reread the first five pages and try again.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by The Revenant

If I were an alien visiting planet Earth, the atheists would not be any different in action and behavior than the religious groups and I would group them as just a part of the lot. I would observe humanity is a cultural species and that not having belief is a belief and cultural element in and of itself. The only way you can truly have no belief is if you did not have a human brain capable of it.

Actually, aliens would share something in common with the atheists, and that would be the ability to view the religions of the world objectively.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

Yes but what if aliens have their own religion? That comparative study would be fascinating.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
it's been my experience atheist can be very hateful towards christians.A person I work with always engages in christian bashing at our place of work . Though I was raised christian I don't consider myself one , I do have family members who are Christians and who are all decent people . None of them want to go out and kill gays or abortion clinic doctors . Many actualy believe in evolution and they all vote Liberal . I find infuriating that just because one calls himself an atheist they can be openly bigoted and hateful . I wonder if he used the same rhetoric regarding Judaism or Islam how quickly he would be speaking to the HR department.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

Considering that we aren't even collectively 100% certain of the existance of extra-terrestrial life how can we even hope to realistically speculate as to their opinions on anything? It's funny that most that do try to speak for a silent, more powerful/more advanced, possibly non-existant discussed third factor tend to heavily project their views onto it. Some people do it with god(s), some do it with aliens. Might as well spend your time trying to put words into the mouth of someone who isn't speaking.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by OpusMarkII

Well I think it is a matter of manners. I think it is bad manners to bash period. I have had Xtians literally cross the road just to bash me. Of course seeing that I am no shrinking violet they have subsequently decided never to do that again. I am a pagan and am very happy with my religion. I have been bashed by atheists also but I have only really seen them as a group since on ATS. I know that they are not evangelical but some have the characterist behaviours of people with a need to convert. Therein lies the problem I don't need to convert anyone to my beliefs. If anyone wishes to investigate any of my beliefs I tell them to put up their money because I am done with freakshows and timewasters. All in all if you like ideas it has been a great thread. We have traded ad hominems but that is ATS.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Condemned0625

We have found proof of civilisations on Mars????? Wow, I wasn't aware, thank you for clarifying that.

I have no issue with the possibility of life elsewhere, I am not in a position to consider if it would be what we would call civilisation based, so I'm not sure. I'll wait for the evidence thanks.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Condemned0625
reply to post by something wicked

I already explained it in full detail. Your misunderstanding does not justify your accusations.

3 exoplanets scenario = Example. The example itself might not exist exactly the way I explained it, but the chance of it is quite high. I am sure we are not the only ones in the universe. It's not all about humans. This universe belongs to other people as well, so deal with it. There's no doubt in my mind that the ancient civilizations here on Earth were seeing extraterrestrial spacecrafts descend from space. Some descriptions are vague, some are quite clear and even include drawings of these beings, most of them being the grays (Coincidence? No.).

You missed off the point where you said you are sure civilisation exist in varying stages directly before the post above. Convenient? Yes.

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Here's one for you: Obama's "Yes We Can" chants are everywhere on YouTube. Download the Audacity Software..it's free. Then download Obama and crowds yelling, "Yes We Can". Then use your own software to play it in reverse. Then listen to Obama and crowds yelling, "Thank You Satan" clear as a bell. Thank You Satan, Thank You Satan...over and over again. You Atheists won't like that one much either. By the way, Scientists are abandoning your belief system because they can't explain where the "information" came from. Oh, here's one for you!!! You'll love this one!!! Genesis 1:1 says In the Beginning God created the heavens and the earth. In the original Hebrew if you take the numeric value of each of the letters guess what it says! Go on, guess. It says 3.1416x10 to the 17th power or Pi. That stupid book of fairy tales is at it again. Here's one for your soul maddness! Take DNA code sequencing ATCG, and using evolutionary necessity, develop a protein.
Example: If A needs T, and T needs G, and G needs T...you get ATGTGTGTGTGT only that's not a protein...its just a dumb example of a repetitious pattern. Work on it awhile. I'm sure you'll end up with a protein, sometime, maybe if evolutionary chance takes hold. Who knows? Speaking of chance, where did the actual specific code sequencing information come from? Explain this to us...When nothing exploded, how did natural selection take place when there was nothing to chose from? Did you know that 586 amino acids are needed to make the protein that captures oxygen in the blood? The problem for atheism is that it states humans came from more simple forms, simple cells, but there are no simple cells. The flagellum of a simple bacteria has 40 protein parts and they work like a rotary engine with irreducible complexity. Proteins are the building blocks, not the floor plan. That is a problem for atheists. Where did the floor plan come from? Where did the body plans come from? Mutating DNA only affects proteins. Where did the information come from? Science doesn't know. They do not know. Atheists do not know, and I bet you still think you can cut something in half indefinitely. At 10 to the -33cm. it loses locality, Planck length. Did you know that the nucleus of the atom has the same relationship to the space that the atom occupies as one second has to 30 million years? All solidity of matter simply results from electrical collisions of the molecules involved...our virtual reality results from electrical simulation. The universe is finite. It is expanding toward thermodynamic heat death...a uniform temperature death...not global warming. There is nothing shorter than Planck time, 10 to the -43 seconds. Time isn't constant and varies with mass, acceleration, and gravity...and we don't live in three spatial dimensions plus time..but six more are curled inferable by indirect means for 10 dimensions...The same ten Nachmonides concluded in the 13th century from studying the book of Genesis...more fairy tales again. Apostle Paul wrote Ephesians 3:18 and lists the four directly measurable dimensions. (Paul was just a stupid jailbird that believed in God.). The Boundaries of our Reality consist of indivisible units to the finite. We live in an envelope that is a shadow of a greater reality...hmmm. Well, that's what Scientists say. Scientific American wrote about it. A shadow of a greater reality. Makes you think. Take all those specifically complex proteins and amino acids, the electrical collisions of molecules making a simulated reality, the indivisible units, the finite units, the presence of body plan information they can't explain, and the greater reality beyond our limits...the madness-in-your-soul must be just a teeny weeny bit inclined to not see this as an attack on your beliefs...but instead a discussion of recent scientific discoveries. This is interesting stuff. And no one is going to apologize for finding it in the "Fairy Tale Book" or if it contradicts something you have put your stock in. In closing, the Gospel of John, first chapter, first verse says: In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was God." Assign the numeric equivalent to the original Greek and you get 2.7183x10 to the 65 power. Fairy Tales again? Maybe, but that is the value of "e". e is the only natural logarithm. So the Fairy Tale book starts out with Pi in the Old Testament, and the value of "e" in the New Testament. The only 2 constants in the universe. Where did the information come from?

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by IAMIAM

Thank you. Though I was thinking more on the line what if both beings are simply man's feeble reaching at something that does exist at the edge of what is definable by him. Things do exist independent of what people think and say about them after all. He uses the fact that people once believed in an proposed entity called Thor as if it disproves the possibility of another proposed entity called Jehoviah by virtue of the fact most people no longer believe an entity such as Thor exists. Which as much as I may respect his right to have a opinion I view as silly at best. And quite disproportionately biased given the nature of scientific advance because the statement is made by one who claims to place science above all. After all, as I am sure he will readily agree and no doubt has said before himself, one wrong or misworded theory that was once stated as fact or science doesn't disprove the broader concept of science as a whole.
edit on 5-2-2011 by Watcher-In-The-Shadows because: ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   

edit on 5-2-2011 by something wicked because: argument getting a little too cicular

posted on Feb, 5 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
madness

There isn't a third state here.

Of course there is. False dichotomy much?

If you can actually explain to me rationally how 'not knowing of a concept' does not necessarily imply 'not believing in that concept' I will gladly hear it.

No you won't. You're a word lawyer, who thinks he's a word legislator.

In ordinary discourse, "I do not believe in something" implies that I have a reason for my opinion.

I notice that later on in your post, you complain based on that very convention:

And that's your opinion. You've repeatedly given your opinion, but you've not even bothered with some basic reason.

In any case, "I don't know what you're talking about" is generally excluded as a reason for my forming a belief about "what you're talking about."

By the way, "I don't know what you're talking about" is that elusive "third state" you mentioned as not existing. "I don't know what you're talking about" is an acceptably non-repsonsive answer to any yes-or-no question.

On another matter arising:

I had no difficulty locating Bem's recent paper through PubMed, along with the journal's editorial and the Bayesian rebuttal paper that are being run with Bem's paper in the same issue.

Although I do not agree with Bem about this, his standing as a mainstream scientist is altogether unassailable. I notice your resume, communications engineer, statistician, philosopher, logician, teacher of ESL... doesn't include psychologist. Perhaps that explains your unfamiliarity with Bem.

new topics

top topics

<< 40  41  42    44  45  46 >>

join