It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Entrepreneur plans to market line of smartly branded medical-marijuana soft drinks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This will no doubt spark the debate- are children being marketed. As a teenager I must admit if this soda was available at that time I would have paid a heavy price to try one.The new sodas will retail for between $10 and $15 per 12-ounce bottle.

includes the flagship cola drink Canna Cola, the Dr Pepper-like Doc Weed, the lemon-lime Sour Diesel, the grape-flavored Grape Ape and the orange-flavored Orange Kush. Marijuana sodas do exist in the marketplace. But, said Butler, none of them have the branding savvy of his product.

Enter Clay Butler, who says that he's never tasted, and that he would never buy. His product is called Canna Cola, and it's a soft drink that contains THC, aimed at medical marijuana dispensaries.

"I don't do drugs," said the Soquel-based commercial artist. "Never have. I never drank, never smoked. I'm a clean-living guy. I've had two beers in my whole life, and I remember them both too. No marijuana, I've never smoked a cigarette. I take an aspirin when I get a headache. That's it."

First thing that comes to mind when the cop pulls you over"How many drinks have you had".Uhhm just two sir.

"Even though, personally, I'm not interested and I don't think it's right for me," said Butler, "I'm a firm believer that adults have an inalienable right to think, eat, smoke, drink, ingest, decorate, dress any way they choose to do so. It's your life; it's your body."

Again what else is he going to say,he may not have even tasted it and is not " interested " in it.How can you endorse a product you have never even tried? I call BS on that one.
I like this guy he has got some balls to go for this.
The company plans to launch its product in medical marijuana-friendly Colorado in February. California, however, remains a wild card. Plans are tentatively to have it in California dispensaries in the spring.

read more:www.santacruzsentinel.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Enter Clay Butler, who says that he's never tasted, and that he would never buy. His product is called Canna Cola, and it's a soft drink that contains THC, aimed at medical marijuana dispensaries.

"I don't do drugs," said the Soquel-based commercial artist. "Never have. I never drank, never smoked. I'm a clean-living guy. I've had two beers in my whole life, and I remember them both too. No marijuana, I've never smoked a cigarette. I take an aspirin when I get a headache. That's it."

Yeah, and I just won "Top Naval Aviator of the Year".

Sheesh, give me a break. I think I see a roach in his hair....

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I'll take a sixer. How does he even get the THC in there? I know that THC cannot dissolve in water. But is cool that they make all these cannabis products. I am a user of Cannabis and it helps with my various medical conditions. Like stress, boredom, and insomnia.

Ever had Cannabis tea? The old ladies down my street come to me all the time to organize the stuff for them, you know because of the stigma.I they brew it for their ailments. Nice ladies, they are even nicer after the cup of tea.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LiquidAsh

Assuming it is real THC, they would infuse it in some petroleum product i'd imagine.

If it is synthetic there is no end to how it gets in the drink.

I am surprised he would sell pop versus tea to be honest.

There was a thread on here 6 months ago about a cure for cancer by extracting THC into a tincture.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
If it's anything like most collective's edibles....It's tastes horrible. It is very difficult to dose for some people. The effects vary greatly with edibles. Seems like risky business.

reply to post by LiquidAsh

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
smoking weed is one thing..ingesting it is an entirely different animal and could have potential health risks. I don't see it as beneficial, just as i don't see mountain dew or other soft drinks having any health benefit.

this is a product i would steer away from if ever offered.

just twirl me a fatty thank u

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

LOL yea I'm on the same page.I just about choked on my coffee on that one.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

Huh? did not even know there was a "Alternative Substances" forum!
Cool! will be interesting to see what folks think of this new soda.

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

They say the dosage of THC will be "somewhere between 35 to 65 milligrams," and the levels of THC in his line of soft drinks will be substantially below the levels of many drinks now on the market.

"It's got a mild marijuana taste," Riddell said. "But the taste factor is really negligible compared to some competitors with three times the THC. When you get to that level, you really have a heavy aftertaste."

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I agree that marketing it in such a way as to promote everyday use may do more harm than good. Some people not in tune with how their body will handle it could end up "too" stoned and have a panic attack, but aside from that, there is no danger (really, go ask you're doctor). I know I would freak, but that is how I am.

When it is all said and done, let people do what they want with their own bodies, property, land and stand against the injustice system!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Cannabis is the safest and best medicine I ever used. Why doesn't he just say that?

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

REMINDER

the guidelines for this forum are posted at the top of every thread...

Alt. Sub. Conspiracies: This forum is for the discussion of conspiracies, scandals, and cover-ups related to the trade and trafficking of illicit drugs, and inequities in enforcement of drug-related laws. Personal use, advocacy of legalization, and related non-conspiratorial topics are not allowed. Members posting about personal recreational use of drugs and related mind-altering substances may be banned without warning.This forum is not intended for discussion of legalization advocacy or speculation of enlightenment or spiritual possibilities related to drug use.

Please post accordingly.

edit on Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:19:58 -0600 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I know Clay personally.
He doesn't nor has he ever done drugs, despite being an artist (and a very talented one at that)

Long ago he had a band called Abnormal Growth up in Santa Rosa.
If you see one of their cassette tapes grab it.
You won't be disappointed

Hadn't heard from him in years, good to see he's doing well.

I may have to give up Dr, Pepper

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
LMAO. That long hippy hair doesn't help his claims of being more sober than a federal judge.
He probably just wants to see how many people would take him seriously.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 07:37 AM
link   
just more proof to convince people that the longer something remains on the blackmarket the more the price will go up. 12 dollars for a 12 ounce drink? That's more than some liquors.

But don't worry, marijuana is illegal, so therefore it doesn't exist, just like crack and heroin. Show me a heroin addict and I'll just say it's a figment of your imagination because heroin is illegal (sacrasm).

posted on Mar, 24 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Im all for an open market for medical use but do not think they should allow it to be called soda pop or cola or anything that is popular with our society. Maybe something boring like (your company name) ie. "manfreds" ( RX THC grape Tonix) that is clearly labeled as such with everyone having to use a distiguishable shaped bottle. I think the guy has a great idea about branding and all but at what expense, once you make it look kool and sound kool the teenagers will want to try it and they will get a hold of it. We gotta remember this is for medical purposes, we don't see drug companies making oxycontin with kool looking labels and names like The All New! Liquid HillBilly Grape Ape, guranted to put you Down!!! and a picture of a purple ape with a needle stuck beetween his toes. cmon what are we thinking, there should be no branding as it is for medical puposes, by all means just put the drink in a brown medical syrup bottle and label it just like an RX.

posted on Mar, 26 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   
He looks like the kind of huy, that if he made me a drink, I'd pass. Let alone something he markets and sells.
I'm also concerned as to how he infused it into something not fat soluble. It would have to be synthetic. That makes me cringe even more. It wouldn't surprise me if he used acetone. There needs to be some kind of FDA regulations on these products.

join